(Close Window)
Topic: T A Waters Mind Myth and Magic
Hey guys - wondering if someone could point me in right direction. Been looking for this book but everywhere seems out of stock in UK. Is the book out of print? Anyone know if an ebook version was released?
Yes, this book is out of print. As far the ebook part, not sure. I have the physical copy (got it recently actually). Either way I recommend trying to get your hands on it, physical or ebook.
There is no authorized ebook at this time.
It is a great book. You could buy a used one (e.g. on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/094529610X/sr=/qid=/ref=olp_tab_all?ie=UTF8&colid=&coliid=&me=&qid=&seller=&sr=).
It's on Bob Cassidy's list of 39 Steps. If you can find a copy pick it up.
Yea know it's good. Just don't want to pay over the odds for it. Will keep searching.
You could post a WTB under books and lectures notes for sale or trade.
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (Mar 14, 2014 04:39PM)
It is a very heavy tome, so, postage will set you back! Believe me, it is worth it though!
Before you spend a fortune you might contact Hermetic Press, the publisher, to see if they're planning a reprint. If they could reformat the text for the Kindle everyone would benefit financially (and for the first time the book could be comfortably read on the John). That reminds me of the disappointing ebook I once printed out on Charmin...
[quote]
On Mar 14, 2014, Mike Ince wrote:
Before you spend a fortune you might contact Hermetic Press, the publisher, to see if they're planning a reprint. If they could reformat the text for the Kindle everyone would benefit financially (and for the first time the book could be comfortably read on the John). That reminds me of the disappointing ebook I once printed out on Charmin...
[/quote]

Thanks for letting me borrow your copy years ago Mike. I had no problem reading it comfortably on the John.
What is a reasonable bid? The price range is so great - granted dependent on the condition. I think I might have 2 copies - one of those forgot I had it and picked up another one situations, which I'm certain we all have done.
[quote]
Thanks for letting me borrow your copy years ago Mike. I had no problem reading it comfortably on the John.
[/quote]

I knew it! Now I know why a page from the index is missing.
Mystery solved. :)
Lol I'll try contacting the publisher.
>It is a very heavy tome,
>so, postage will set you back!

Have it sent book rate. It's much, much cheaper.
You'll be glad you have it.
I've been hearing about this book for a long time. How good is it actually? Compared with Derren Brown's work?
I hear it is one of the best after 13 steps to study.
[quote]
On Mar 17, 2014, emptysafe wrote:
I've been hearing about this book for a long time. How good is it actually? Compared with Derren Brown's work?
[/quote]

emptysafe,

That is kind of a hard comparison. The thing that makes Derren's material great is... Derren's performance. No doubt the much methodology he employs speaks to philosophy of what makes great effects (use of boldness, perceptual sculpting and invisible compromise), but effects themselves are just the food, not the life. So, T.A. Waters contains plenty of fodder. It is well worth owning and reading. Besides, he has a great last name. I am not just saying because he is "Uncle Tom".
Couldn't agree more with Sean. What makes Derrens work is his presentation and acting.
[quote]
On Mar 20, 2014, Waters wrote:
[quote]
On Mar 17, 2014, emptysafe wrote:
[/quote]

emptysafe,

That is kind of a hard comparison. The thing that makes Derren's material great is... Derren's performance. No doubt the much methodology he employs speaks to philosophy of what makes great effects (use of boldness, perceptual sculpting and invisible compromise), but effects themselves are just the food, not the life. [b]So, T.A. Waters contains plenty of fodder. It is well worth owning and reading.[/b] Besides, he has a great last name. I am not just saying because he is "Uncle Tom".
[/quote]

Co-sign.
Certainly agree with this.
Here's what I wrote about Mind, Myth and Magick in my "39 Steps:"

[quote]This book could accurately been titled The (Nearly) Complete Works of T.A. Waters. It is an indexed, edited and updated collection of almost every mentalism book and booklet he wrote in his all too short life.

Waters was a major figure on the creative side of our art. Many performers have justifiably noted that his effects were not always suitable, in a practical sense, for the working mentalist. I find that to be true of his earlier works but much less so in his later ones. Since the material in the book is presented in chronological order, you can literally follow the progression and refinement of his thoughts as he became an influential figure in the world of mentalism.

Like some other works on this list, Mind, Myth and Magick is often recommended to beginners. And newcomers will indeed benefit very much by reading it. His essays, in fact, should be required reading for everyone. While he may not have been a top performer of mentalism, he was one of its greatest thinkers and theorists.

As with many of the books in this list, the value of Water’s volume does not lie primarily in the effects he describes, but in the creative inspiration they provide. I don’t think I have ever performed any of his effects in the manner he described them. But the reasoning underlying his effects, approaches, and methods, is what qualifies his book as essential reading. It doesn’t matter if you agree with him or not. (Waters and I differed on many points and, on at least one occasion, our differences were extreme.) The point is that Waters works will make you think. And they’ll make you think every time you re-read them.

Mind, Myth and Magic is the living testament of a finely tuned creative mind and deserves to be read by every thoughtful performer.[/quote]
It's my favorite Mentalism Book!
[quote]On May 19, 2015, Slim King wrote:
It's my favorite Mentalism Book! [/quote]

Let me guess - it is because of this:

[youtube]VP4wjZFuo-g[/youtube]
Just for starters!!!!
I totally forgot about the monkey. It's worth the price of the book.
[youtube]Y9YViHbaAWM?t=16s[/youtube]
A good place to look for out of print stuff is abebooks
[youtube]SmmmfppZ3gk[/youtube]

With MM&M you could make the Ghost Rider, Spirit of Simian Vengeance with this fellow
MM&M is a treasure trove of inspiration and ideas for me. I can't ever imagine exhausting it's secrets.
TA Waters also has some excellent DVD's that are available.
I appreciate this is an old thread, but I just wanted to express how much I am enjoying reading Mind Myth and Magic. I was lucky, I was looking for a copy and found a slightly worn out version on Amazon for about $15,

I will get round to the DVD's once I have read it all, but what a treasure trove of ideas, I am finding it very inspirational,

Thanks again,
[quote]On Sep 5, 2018, Cryptghost wrote:
I appreciate this is an old thread, but I just wanted to express how much I am enjoying reading Mind Myth and Magic. I was lucky, I was looking for a copy and found a slightly worn out version on Amazon for about $15,

I will get round to the DVD's once I have read it all, but what a treasure trove of ideas, I am finding it very inspirational,

Thanks again, [/quote]
$15 is the deal of the century!!!!!
When I was in college I revived this book as a gift from one of my girlfriends. Subsequently there was a small electrical fire at my residence when I wasn't at home. The firemen soaked everything including my library. The book expanded to 3 times it's girth and much of it was ruined. I still have it and while it's lost it's collectors value, some of the the material is still there for me to peruse. I also have the DVDs so I could just put a face on the material. Between Mr. Waters and Barrie Richardson I think there is a treasure trove of modern material and inspiration to last a lifetime.
That is a great gift, I wish my ex-girlfriends had been as generous with me!!
Back in 1998 I called up L&L Publishing and asked if they had a copy of Mind Myth & Magic, because I wanted to order it.

I spoke to a gentleman there, who told me they had one copy in stock, but it did not have the shrink wrap on it, because Mr. Waters had been in the studio for a photo shoot with the book, promoting an upcoming video series (which took YEARS to get released).

I said, "you mean to tell me, the copy you have is the one T.A. Waters handled and used in the photo shoot? I'LL TAKE IT.

The day I received my copy in the mail is the day I heard the news that he died.

You can see a picture of him holding my copy in old L&L catalogs (remember those?).

So glad to have my copy ... will never part with it.

Oscar
[quote]On Sep 10, 2018, Oscar999 wrote:
Back in 1998 I called up L&L Publishing and asked if they had a copy of Mind Myth & Magic, because I wanted to order it.

I spoke to a gentleman there, who told me they had one copy in stock, but it did not have the shrink wrap on it, because Mr. Waters had been in the studio for a photo shoot with the book, promoting an upcoming video series (which took YEARS to get released).

I said, "you mean to tell me, the copy you have is the one T.A. Waters handled and used in the photo shoot? I'LL TAKE IT.

The day I received my copy in the mail is the day I heard the news that he died.

You can see a picture of him holding my copy in old L&L catalogs (remember those?).

So glad to have my copy ... will never part with it.

Oscar [/quote]
Let me tell you how close you came to not getting that book. I was at that shoot. I was sitting with TA talking about improv theater and a bunch of other stuff at the lunch break. At one point I thought to myself, I should see if Louis has any copies of MMM and get TA to sign it for me. Then I thought, "That would be kinda sycophantic. There will be time for autographs when these videos come out and he makes the lecture and convention circuit."

You know the rest of that sad tale, days later he was gone.

I searched for two years to find an autographed copy of MMM. It, along with many other rare autographed books were almost lost in the wildfires in wine country last fall. And by almost I mean 100 feet away begins the complete destruction of an entire housing development.
Wow - that's pretty wild Tom.

Magic is indeed a small world.

Oscar
Thanks for sharing these moving memories, I feel very privileged to be reading such an amazing book, rich in ideas and thoughts on mentalism.
There is this UK Only though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163247204687
[quote]On Sep 12, 2018, Paradise wrote:
There is this UK Only though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/163247204687 [/quote]

I wonder what the reserve is though
It was recently tipped elsewhere in the Café that this is potentially going to be made available again, although I cannot verify this.
Amazing book, It would be good if it was republished as it is a classic,