(Close Window)
Topic: Michael Carbonaro - The Carbonaro Effect
Hey Guys,

This new tevision show looks pretty awesome.

http://www.trutv.com/shows/the-carbonaro-effect/videos/believe-the-unbelievable.html
Michael Carbonaro comes off as being a very helpful employee at various businesses and he doesn't tell the public that he is a magician. From getting a cockroach out of a mans cell phone, to pouring around five beers out of a 12 ounce beer bottle he explains why these crazy things happen that have nothing to do with magic. Cell phones can get tiny bugs in them because they are attracted to the vibration of the phone, to the beer is condensed in the bottle. The amazing thing is that he gets people to believe him. This is really an entertaining show on TRU-TV.

I liked Carbonaro when he was a recurring guest on the Jay Leno show and he worked at convenience stores and fooled people in a very innocent way. He has a great personality and I hope the show is a big success!
The previews look fantastic!
There are some clips of this you can watch. It looks pretty good. He is doing some of the same tricks I do already, such as Clarity box and self-tying shoelaces,which is pretty funny to me.
This is going to be a great show! We are shooting 13 episodes and have lots of great bits lined up.
Can't wait to see what everyone thinks. We have worked really hard on this project and developed
some really clever and funny stuff.

Chad
You can download a free episode on iTunes! Can't wait to see the rest of the season. :)
We just wrapped up shooting on Friday! First episode airs on May 15th!!!!
I'm looking forward to this. I know similar concepts have been tried before. Maybe this will be the one to do it.
Watching the first show now and must say this is a treat, wish it was on a major network!! The reactions on some of the victims is priceless!
I find your use of the word "victims" in lieu of "spectators" quite interesting.

When Sankey put out his "bending the Real" project years ago, are thee the kind of things he was talking about? Is the show about the ultimate bending the real?
Excellent show. Nice job.

Congrats to all involved.
Thanks Bob!
We worked really hard for over 10 straight weeks with no days off to film these 13 episodes.
Fooling the people live and not using any stooges or actors was priority #1 for us. I know
that for some effects that we will be accused of that anyway. But I can guarantee 100% that
none of the people knew they were going to be on tv when they got up that morning.

I am very proud of the fact that we took existing magical items from the market and were able
to give them life in a regular everyday setting. And as well we designed some very clever new
tricks like the personalized wine bottle that the lady won, and the decoy that turned into a
real duck without using a box or any cover of any kind!

The best part is I know whats coming up next and I think it only gets better from here!
I'm really enjoying this show. Reactions are awesome. It was good to see a couple "guest" appearances of David Regal and Johnny Thompson last night.
I' m living in a household right now where everyone wants to watch something else, so I'm reluctantly missing the show.
I enjoy the use of the term "every day setting" when a second unit is involved LOL.

That not withstanding good luck with it. If it is done less "television" than the preceding offerings from other shows it is a winner in my book.
Isn't what he's doing on this show essentially what Sankey referred to as "bending the real"? :cheering:
In a sense this is like Sankeys BTR. We create effets and match them to locations and put Michael in a position to work his magic with real people. For instance, Astro Laces. Its obviously a marketed effect by Jay Noblezada. But if you create a branded product, "Astro Laces", and demo it at a store as a new product, people will buy into it a real thing. that's where Michael is king. He has the ability to make people believe almost anything! And watching it first hand is inspirational.

Everything in the show is based on the idea that the person watching it live, has to be able to believe it. that's the really challenging part. Creating the stories to go with the effects. David Regal is a genius in that department. As the show progresses you will see some fantastic uses of magic tricks you probably have at home. But we repackaged them to make them believable in an everyday situation. While grocery shopping, ordering coffee, out to dinner, etc.
Love the concept!
This is an excellent premise! Loved the first episode.
I've been doing & studying magic for 40 years & I can't figure out how some stuff is accomplished on the show.

Chad & girl's photo ID - Michael into the trunk - even the Vortex mailing system.

Great work guys!
I finally got to see it, and I'm wowed. I saw the episode with the multum in parvo beer glasses, and the mirror box mice production. I really enjoyed this. I wish Michael great success. He may very well be the Doug Henning of our generation.
This is a really entertaining show. Michael comes off as very likeable, and the reactions of the people are priceless! I hope the show gets renewed.

-Mark
Not at all my cup of tea. But congratulations and I hope it keeps going for you.

He does come off likable, and he does a fine job.
What don't you like about it Danny?
Excellent question!
Oh please no lets not drag this down with negative nonsense, even if from me!

I am not a fan of the "pseudo reality" concept. It has NOTHING TO DO WITH HIM!

No lets keep this positive. There is no reason to make this about anything else.
Cool.
Fair enough but its not really a reality show. Its a hidden camera show.
Big difference. The people don't know they are on tv until well after the trick is over.
Not a big difference but allowing for that I am not a fan of hidden camera shows either.

It is definitely a clever concept. Again I think he comes off well.

The thing that is clever about it if you ask me is he has removed the "I am the greatest" "look at me look at me" aspect of TV and more specifically magic and turned it into almost 100% spectator driven.
True. The "I am an amazing magician and I'm going to show you a magic trick" aspect is gone, I think Blaine tried to achieve this, too, but with an entirely different approach.
Anywhere online?
I don't know. I was flipping by and saw it so I stopped.

While I say I am no fan of the genre, and I am not, he comes across quite well. My dislike is for this type of TV and has nothing at all to do with him.

As I said it is the best offering in a while I hope it goes well and for a while.
I think this is a fantastic, hysterially funny show, and I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it first! I pull the same crap just for fun (I call it my "Touch of Magic" in their day), but I just do it so they see something and I motor on, never explaining if I can get away. I absolutely never thought of taking it to this level, or saying to the lady trying to explain to the clerk (clearly) how impossible it is to fit the bowling ball/basketball in one small box, "I'm sorry, I just don't understand what you're asking." I was crying, b/c she was so frazzled. "It's to make it lighter." Absolutely beautiful.

The great thing about this show, and where other people often go astray, is the difference between funny and cruel and/or unbelievable. When I showed my gf the segment with the freeze-dried puppies (never thought I'd type THAT sentence) she didn't know what kind of show it was, and she was buying into it too! Which certainly says something about the impact of the rapid advances in tech, that people aren't saying "Impossible," but instead some are looking at the impossible and saying "Yeah, it COULD be." There are clearly smart people working on this! Keep up the great work!
Vernal nailed it...this show is awesome! NOT cruel...NOT demeaning...NOT a bunch of stooges...NOT heavily camera edited effects...NOT ridiculous premises or revenge fueled stupidity...NOT completely unbelievable. Michael is great, I don't know how he keeps a straight face when giving those "explanations" he gives. BTW, I don't know who is writing the explanations, but they are SO GOOD! I also agree with vernal, the woman with the bowling ball and the basketball at the sporting goods store from this weeks episode is the best so far! She was so polite, but was not letting it go. Michael playing it off so nonchalantly just fueled her fire...AWESOME! Keep up the good work guys...
This show just keeps getting better and better. It was also cool to see David Regal play a role, and even though he didn't say anything, it was nice seeing Johnny Thompson do a walk-on at the end of an episode.

My favorite bit so far was with the guy at the bar. Michael poured about five pints of beer from one bottle that Regal had dropped off at the bar, and the barfly said that that was impossible to get so much beer from one bottle. When Michael told him that each bottle is $55, the guy says, "Oooh, okay." Like that was a plausible explanation. Hilarious!

I enjoy this show.

-Mark
Thank you all for the positive comments. It really helps us to know that the magic community is behind it.
We don't look at it as a magic show. Because its really about the interaction that happens after the trick is over. The reactions, the phony explanations, that's the real magic.

Coming up with what to say has a lot to do with idea that we are trying to sell. This gives us a general outline that Michael kind of adlibs into. He is very quick on his feet and is a master at improv. Regal is also good with developing patter with a seemingly endless supply of lines and ideas.
Thank you for being able to bring this "TonightShow" bit into a series... The family would never miss him when that segment was on...
I never thought to try to insert my magic as an every day event, rather than a performance. After seeing three episodes of this "live-magic", it has enspired me to just "insert" a trick hear and there in my every day life... I may get more of a chuckle doing this than the "victims", but hey, I like to be entertained too !!!

I hope we get to see more of the Cabonaro Effect in another season !!!

Great job !!!! Keep it up...
cheers,
don

:dancing:
Hey Chris, Love the show. Is the never ending beer a multum in parvo? Have never seen it done in pint glasses with beer before.

Good Job,

Jay
I meant Chad not Chris OOPS
Been watching this... great fun.
Cool concept..
just started watching this...
Chad, I love this show and trust me I'm very hard to please with any so called reality T.V of even magic show.I can tell the people's reaction is real and that's what makes it so good..It reminds me of the old Allen Funt's Candid Camera T.V. show from the late 40's to late 50s.

Keep up the good work...
Don
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, jkaplan55 wrote:
Hey Chad, Love the show. Is the never ending beer a multum in parvo? Have never seen it done in pint glasses with beer before.

Good Job,

Jay [/quote]

No the never ending beer works on a whole different method. We did a multum in parvo routine though at the coffee shop. The idea was that the small and grande sizes are really the same but they charge you more for one to make you feel like you are getting a better deal.I am not sure if that has aired yet. But I think it did.
[quote]On Jul 9, 2014, DonDriver wrote:
Chad, I love this show and trust me I'm very hard to please with any so called reality T.V of even magic show.I can tell the people's reaction is real and that's what makes it so good..It reminds me of the old Allen Funt's Candid Camera T.V. show from the late 40's to late 50s.

Keep up the good work...
Don [/quote]

Michael watches the old Candid Camera shows for inspiration. Thanks for noticing the similarities.
I like the nice guy persona...

I'm sure he is a nice guy. ;)

But that they didn't go Criss Angel is what I like.
My little magician in the making will run and stop everything to watch! Great show, I was amazed. The bear in the toy store, the gators, the time loop... All of it was great.
[quote]On Jul 10, 2014, Chad Sanborn wrote:
[quote]On Jul 9, 2014, DonDriver wrote:

Keep up the good work...
Don [/quote]

Michael watches the old Candid Camera shows for inspiration. Thanks for noticing the similarities. [/quote]

It is old candid camera inspired but it also stands on it own.

I am not a big fan but of what is offered as television magic of late this is a front runner by a pretty wide margin. Which is why I hope it stays on the air for a while. Good luck.
Hi
I just watched the show (In Italy is arrived a little later and I didn't know the existence before...)and I'm really happy to see finally a good magic tv show!
Has got all I appreciate, humor in primis.
Bravi!
This is a great show, excellent humour and Michael is a fantastic bullcrapper. Best 'magic' show I've seen. No pretension, no humiliation. Shoulda been more successful, what happened?
I just noticed there's an episode for season 2, so here's hoping for more!
A new season premieres July 29 on truTV. In the meanwhile, they're running repeats, and episodes are available "on demand" (at least on my cable system).

The program is very entertaining. Often when I'm watching magic on television I'm so busy trying to "catch" the method that I miss some of the entertainment. This program is different. From the television viewer's perspective, some of the effects seem to be accomplished with the STRONG misdirection that's only possible with control of camera angles and a sensitive editor. But the show is not so much about fooling the TV audience as it is about fooling the person interacting with Michael. In fact, sometimes we're watching the person be distracted while the dirty work is done off-camera -- and that's the point. We're brought into the world of the on-screen audience member and get to experience a moment of surrealism along with them. Thanks for a fun program!
Here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=carbonaro+effect

Doug
The new season is off and running! The first episode (S2E1) was pretty good. I look forward to seeing the future episodes. Michael has a great team behind him.
He stated in an interview that they check all the camera angles when editing to make sure the trick isn't exposed. He also said that the participant is not in on it. Even my wife likes the show, she generally has a dislike for magicians. However there was one episode where a guy brought in his art to be appraised. He says he's had the item for a year. It's in a box, which he puts on the counter. It was a terracotta bird. It's removed from the box, then he breaks it open, and a bird was inside. This seems like the other person had to be in on it. Because obviously he wasn't going to break some guys art. And if the guy just brought it in, it would be pretty difficult to just happen to have a weird terracotta bird lying around. Are some the scenes for this show with planted people?
Criss Angel claims not to use stooges.
Criss Angel probably also claims to not use camera tricks. However Carbonaro seems more honest. I never get the feeling that he's lying to the audience. It's just this one trick seems to not be feasible. Unless there is something he's not showing us.
Other than doing another season I have no idea what he is doing either. Congratulations to the team.
Yllawwally, I would imagine there's a lot they aren't showing us. I think there's sometimes a bit of research done in advance to prepare for a person's visit. But my sense is that the show isn't about trying to fool the television audience as much as it's about enjoying the reaction of a person who is being amazed in person. With that as the goal, it makes sense to omit some of the prep work that makes an effect possible.
The goal is good TV. Not impressing magicians.

It can be debated if they accomplish the goal but indeed that is the goal. They have another season going. Someone must be happy.
Danny, count me among the "someone must be happy" numbers. The show has the good-natured fun of classic "Candid Camera," plus now and then you get to see a nice magic trick. Think back to some of the old "Candid Camera" episodes and you'll see that Allen Funt was filming people's reactions to magic tricks happening in unexpected places. One that springs to mind is the episode where a woman rolls up in her car and says she's having trouble, and when the mechanic lifted the hood the entire engine was missing. "The Carbonaro Effect" captures some of that same zany fun.
Did you catch Jon Lovick in the key transporter episode?
The second season's first couple of episodes I recall thinking were kind of average, but it picked up steam again and the most recent few episodes have been excellent! I was watching with a friend of mine, and she looked at me and said "I really want to be Carbonaro-ed!" I really do too.

I think that poor woman on the most recent episode was like the first one on the series who actually acknowledged his change of clothes, she was so frazzled I was hysterical. And I loved how the "master painter" bit had a guy who was using paint brushes that were "Property of David Regal!" I really love this show, the best part being I forget sometimes that there's magic in there and I just like watching the whole story.
[quote]On May 28, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Not a big difference but allowing for that I am not a fan of hidden camera shows either.

It is definitely a clever concept. Again I think he comes off well.

The thing that is clever about it if you ask me is he has removed the "I am the greatest" "look at me look at me" aspect of TV and more specifically magic and turned it into almost 100% spectator driven. [/quote]

SPOT ON.

Anyone else notice this similarity to Andy's philosophy?
Michael Carbonaro is such a joy to watch, this is a great show.
I love this show however I wonder if there are camera tricks involved. I saw a rerun today where someone was returning a rental car. Michael was the return agent and remarked about the sun roof, how this rental was not suppose to have one. He opened the sun roof, got in the car, stuck his hands through etc. Then He closes the sun roof, gets an ice scraper and proceeded to remove the sun roof. He rolled it up like it was some sort of magnetic sheet on top of the car. I have been around magic for over 50 years, I'm sorry, no way without some sort of camera hocus-pocus going on.
[quote]On Nov 13, 2018, vannma wrote:
I love this show however I wonder if there are camera tricks involved. I saw a rerun today where someone was returning a rental car. Michael was the return agent and remarked about the sun roof, how this rental was not suppose to have one. He opened the sun roof, got in the car, stuck his hands through etc. Then He closes the sun roof, gets an ice scraper and proceeded to remove the sun roof. He rolled it up like it was some sort of magnetic sheet on top of the car. I have been around magic for over 50 years, I'm sorry, no way without some sort of camera hocus-pocus going on. [/quote]

And you would be wrong.As a consultant on the show for every single episode and someone who was actually there the day that was filmed, I can guarantee you that we did not use an actor or any special effects or camera tricks to pull this off.
How about editing?
Hands down the best magic show on TV
Very entertaining!