(Close Window)
Topic: Bitten by magnets?!
Message: Posted by: George Ledo (Apr 9, 2014 11:05AM)
This is right out of a sci-fi movie. :)

I'm building some new pieces for Stevens Magic, which require small earth magnets inset into the wood. Very small, as in 3/8" diameter by 1/10" thick. So a couple of days ago I had a small stack of them on the table, and a loose one a few inches away. I reached down to pick up the stack, and the loose magnet flew onto it, pinching my finger. Ouch. It actually felt like something had bitten me. I still have a very small blood blister from it.

I wished I'd had a camera -- that stack of magnets hanging from my finger was hilarious.
Message: Posted by: magicwatcher2005 (Apr 9, 2014 11:54AM)
People have destroyed fingers and even entire hands by being careless with large RE magnets. Even the small ones can cause serious injury if allowed to slam together, as they can shatter and send tiny shards straight into an unprotected eye. Good idea to handle them with great care and a mind toward safety.
Message: Posted by: mvmagic (Apr 9, 2014 12:10PM)
Oh yes. I have handled lotsa magnets and they can really bite you. I am preparing a Darth Vader helmet for display right now and got some magnets to keep the dome attached/aligned to the mask. 12lbs of pull each (using two) and got a bite as well. But at least the dome will stay in place!
Message: Posted by: Michael Baker (Apr 9, 2014 12:27PM)
Count me among the once bitten, twice shy. My rule is simple: loose magnets are either in hand and actually being applied, or stuck to something steel, so as not to fly randomly. I usually keep the stack stuck to something steel, as well.
Message: Posted by: George Ledo (Apr 9, 2014 12:46PM)
Good point, Michael. Thanks.

The funny thing is that I had a dvd of season 1 of American Horror Story on, for background noise, when it happened. The timing couldn't have been better.
Message: Posted by: Magic Monkichi (Apr 9, 2014 01:34PM)
Reminds me of when I used to use "The Bat". Got bitten all the time! lol. 'Glad' I'm not the only one :P lol.
Message: Posted by: Anverdi-museum (Apr 9, 2014 06:06PM)
I have been using magnets for years, rare earth of all sizes and thickness. On more than one instance I was pinched fairly severely. All I can say is be careful!! :sun:
Message: Posted by: Tree (Apr 9, 2014 07:15PM)
Fact is many children swallow these things and tear up their insides.
google the stories it's sad
Message: Posted by: jimgerrish (Apr 9, 2014 09:11PM)
I keep mine inside a small catfood (steel) can. A tuna-fish can would work as well.
Message: Posted by: EsnRedshirt (Apr 10, 2014 12:12PM)
I still remember one time when I went to visit my (soon to be) wife, and was going to surprise her with a new effect involving a 0.5"x2" neodymium magnet. Her dog greeted me first, and happened to be wearing a steel choke chain.

It's not easy trying to explain why an 80-lbs lab-pit mix is stuck to your body.

I keep my small magnets all stuck together in one of the plastic drawers in my parts bin, which is mounted at head level on the wall behind my work bench, well out of the reach of my son. It's labeled "Caution! Magnets" and I don't keep anything metallic in the drawers around it to prevent accidental magnetization. The large magnet mentioned earlier is in my steamer crate full of props, carefully wrapped in several layers of black felt and stuck to the side.
Message: Posted by: Regan (Apr 11, 2014 02:46PM)
Yes, they are dangerous! I have been injured with some larger ones. I have some very strong ones that are about 1 1/4" diameter by about 1/8" thick, and also some about the size of a nickel that are about 3/16" thick. Some of each of those sizes have gotten away from me a few times. Nothing real serious, but a good amount of pain!

George, I'm glad it wasn't too bad!
Message: Posted by: msillusions (Apr 18, 2014 05:09PM)
I remember one time I was hired to teach an executive a linking effect (not rings but r@$&), and I guess the magnets were pretty strong in this one set and it pinched the exec during early practice. He almost gave it up right there and then, until I corrected the way he was holding it. Been bitten myself with other loose magnets when I was not paying enough attention to what I was doing.
Message: Posted by: Regan (Apr 19, 2014 07:48AM)
Ever get a large one stuck on a metal surface? The big 1 1/4" magnets I have occasionally jump off when I get to close to metal and they are a pain to get loose! And if they attract to each other, look out! It's really difficult to pry them apart. And easy to get bitten while trying!
Message: Posted by: tstrong2 (Apr 21, 2014 02:29PM)
I am imagining the poor package delivery person trying to deliver a shipment of magnets to my house. The package sticking to the side of the van only to rip when they try to pry it loose... Sounds like fodder for a sitcom.

Magnets are useful, destructive, dangerous, and fun. But have to be respected or they bite you.

My wife did something kind of stupid with magnets before I met her. She put two of them, one on each side of her nose. Trying to imitate a piercing. They stuck through her skin and she was in a lot of pain until her now ex-husband finally managed to pry them apart.

Take standard precautions. And for safety sake, have someone around to help if something goes wrong. At least within earshot.