(Close Window)
Topic: Are There Any Female Mentalist's Out There?
How come we never see women posting in Penny? Why is mentalism a male dominated thing? What is your thoughts on why this is so?

Rick~
Because women only like mind reading if its the real thing. They don't want to think its fake. My opinion? :)
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Apr 11, 2014 02:24PM)
It might be mentalism forums that they avoid, rather than performing mentalism?

(Sort of) joking.
T.
You have a good point, Simon. (No joke)

I know several women who are excellent mentalists.
Rebecca Harris, Tessa Evason, Katalina, Noora Karma, Angela Fonovits, Allison Campbell.
I don't think it's just mentalism. Magic in general is a male dominant art. Unfortunately.
I think the forums are what is being avoided.
I remember juliannehohnson being a GREAT contributor here for a while, but she disappeared.

I know several women who do what I consider to be mentalism (they might or might not agree with me) who avoid this forum specifically and/or forums like this in general. In fact, I know several male mentalists and even magicians of the same thinking.
It's some men and the way those men interact here which keeps them at bay.,
[quote]
On Apr 11, 2014, seadog93 wrote:
I think the forums are what is being avoided.
I remember juliannejohnson being a GREAT contributor here for a while, but she disappeared. [/quote]

Very true. This is a feeling she stated quite plainly on another forum some years ago. It was not the art, but the forums and their members that she had issue with.
Does Cashetta count?
Most men who are interested in mentalism become mentalists and perform mind-reading effects, while a few become psychics and advise people on their personal problems.

Most women are interested in mentalism become psychics and advise people on their personal problems, while a few become mentalists and perform mind-reading effects.

There are just as many women in mentalism as men, and in fact probably many more. They just tend to prefer a different label and a different way of earning a living.

BTW, Noora Karma has her own TV series, which is currently running in her native Finland. It consists of ten... yes, TEN... hours of TV mentalism, making it one of the biggest, if not the biggest, single series of mentalism shows that has ever been made. Consultants on the show included Banachek, Marc Paul, Greg Wilson and myself.
As to why they don't post: Because even the faintest whiff of femininity turns the Café into a den of howling wolves. Who would want to put up with that?