(Close Window)
Topic: Hocus Pocus Project - charity ebook project
Dear Friends,

It is a joy to be able to exercise one's creative inclinations. However, life has not afforded some of us the opportunity to learn that we have "something to offer". Feeling worth and being able to contribute to the well-being of others is part of what makes us human. I watched a video of a people laughing, sharing and listened as the narrator of the video said that through the efforts of the Hocus Pocus Project, some participants experienced giving positive eye contact for the first time in their life. People deserve to have this type of personal dignity. I hope to get your help in playing a small part in sustaining this gift. I am not personally involved with the project, but after seeing the PM in my Café inbox, I wanted to help. That is what this thread is about...

Giving the people the gift of sharing their gifts

So, I am working on creating an ebook with materials from kind folks to help fund the good work of the Hocus Pocus Project, which serves disadvantaged kids and adults by teaching them magic as a means of empowerment. See here:

www.hocuspocusproject.org

Each of us can certainly relate to a desire to contribute to our communities and gift experiences to others. I want to help people do just exactly that. Here is what I propose:

A charity/funding compilation ebook which features mentalism and mental magic (directed towards the mentalism/mental magic community), the sale of which paid directly via Paypal to the Hocus Pocus Project (aside from normal Paypal fees, if applicable). Purchasers can email me a copy of their receipt and receive their copy. Here is what we need donated:

1. Creative materials (routines, nuances and essays)

2. Editing/revising help

3. Design/layout assistance

4. Free hosting locations agreeable to the terms above

5. People to buy the work, once completed

If you are willing and able to contribute or provide any assistance mentioned above, please respond with your intention to do so. I will coordinate the materials in time, for now we are pooling resources. Please post on this thread or send me a PM if you can help. I have contacted the HPP and they are looking forward to any assistance that can be provided. Let's help others feel the thrill of sharing their creativity. Thank you for considering.

Ebook Title: Infusion - Empowering People To Use Their Gifts
Theme: Gifting Experiences
Content: For you to decide
Price: To be determined (I suppose is likely to be tax deductible)

Please help.

Sincerely,

Sean Waters
Hi Sean , I would like to offer some of my routines for you to use as you want,if you can PM me your email address I will send the pdf's as an attachment, regards George.
George,

Thank you kindly. I have sent you a PM which contains an email address. I appreciate your willingness.

Sincerely,

Sean
Sean,

This sounds great and I would love to help and contribute in any way I can.

Please count me in!

With you,
J
If you're needing help editing and proof reading, I'm more than happy to shoulder some of the responsibilities of point #2. I've worked with Elliot Bresler and Andy Fisher here on some of their releases. I've done a fair amount of this sort of work to be able to help ensure text is clear, correct and readable, but without overruling the author's own writing style and voice. Keep me posted.

I've also got a small method that I use in my work, which I've shared with a couple of people privately and at another forum. I've never thought that it had enough in and of itself to warrant a "release" as such, but perhaps as part of a compendium like this it could find a place in print?
Hey, Sean:

Deep into my next novel, but still I'd also be glad to help with editing and proofing.

Best,
gary
@ Jerome: thank you kindly!

@Conner: both would be beneficial, if you can do so.

@Gary: your assistance, especially during the bustle of your current project would be greatly appreciated

What is so inspiring about this is the fact that people who have posted and some who have communicated via PM are all using their gifts to help other people use theirs. There is an Escher-esque beauty in what you all are doing. Thank you.
I'd love to help out in any way I can.
I would love to contribute (although I'm no Sean waters). My only questions are:

Are the effects aimed at professional entertainers or children in need?
Thank both for the interest. It is appreciated. Exercise your gifts: Simply pick a means to contribute from the list above and shoot me a PM with your intention to do so. Please include your full names and email addresses.

Best regards,

Sean
[quote]On Jun 4, 2014, Baguette wrote:
I would love to contribute (although I'm no Sean waters). My only questions are:

Are the effects aimed at professional entertainers or children in need? [/quote]

Baguette,

The intended audience is the mentalism/mental magic community. The aid is for the children and adults served by the project.

Regards,

Sean
Thanks for clarifying. If I have time this week-end I'll try and throw in a contribution of mine which I highly enjoy using.
Great idea Sean, I would be interested in contributing to point 1.

Kind regards,

Andreu.
@Sean: Sorry I haven't submitted anything yet. I will try to finish editing my contribution soon. I have a very long plane ride next friday (30 hours) and should normally have all the time in the world to make everything perfect. I hope this isn't too long of a delay, thank you.
Hi Sean,
PM'd you there, I have something I think might be suitable,

regards,

Sea
Andreu, that would be great. Thank you. I am PM'ing you now with information.

Baguette and Sea. The end of the month is the deadline!

Thank you all.

Sean
Hi Sean, I dropped you a mail the other day, let me know if you didn't get it, thanks,

Sea
@Sean: Perfect then I should have my contribution ready just in time!
PM'd you.
Hi Sean,

I would definitely love to contribute towards point 5 (buying the work), and I would also be happy to contribute towards points 2 and 3 as well.
I have some pieces I'd love to contribute, but I'd need to get permission from the people who have inspired my pieces first.
Just finishing up my contribution. I need to proof read it with fresh eyes tomorrow.

But a quick thought - if this will be released through the Magic Café, do you want to offer the contributors the option of including their username? ie, [b] "Contribution" by Joe Contributer (magiccafeposter)[/b].

If contributions are coming in from wider sources, then don't worry about it. I was just wondering if readers might like the option of knowing specifically who to ask for clarification or further thoughts.
[quote]On Jun 15, 2014, sjrw wrote:
Hi Sean,

I would definitely love to contribute towards point 5 (buying the work), and I would also be happy to contribute towards points 2 and 3 as well.
I have some pieces I'd love to contribute, but I'd need to get permission from the people who have inspired my pieces first. [/quote]

Sounds great and thank you. Please keep me posted via PM. The deadline is the end of the month.

I appreciate it.

C.J.: I can include both if you so choose (which of course, I already have).

All: When contributing, please include both your real name and moniker. I will refer to you by your actual name in credits, unless otherwise instructed.

Thanks All!
[quote]On Jun 4, 2014, Waters wrote:
Here is what I propose:

A charity/funding compilation ebook which features mentalism and mental magic... the sale of which paid directly via Paypal to the Hocus Pocus Project (aside from normal Paypal fees, if applicable).
[/quote]

How do the funds get used by the Hocus Pocus Project?
Hello robvh. That is a fair question. To be honest, I do not know. I am responding to a need that was put forth via a PM from Steve Brooks and the Magic Café. I do not have, nor will ever have, any visibility to how the money will be spent. As with any donation, those questions can be directed to the charity itself. I merely asked myself if there was any way to mobilize some ongoing help. Thanks for the question. If you would like the email of the my contact person at the charity, I will be glad to offer it via PM. Let me know if you would like to do so. I hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Sean
Sean, I just wanted to double check that my email got through. I haven't had any sort of confirmation or reply. If you need me to send again, just let me know.
Connor: I appreciate your participation. I have received your email. My next step is to block out some time to read through each submission.

To each of you who have chosen to participate, in one form or another, it is appreciated. For those who are planning to submit something, please email it as soon as you can. Please send to: ebookproject(at)yahoo.com

Best Regards,

Sean
Update: A number of folks have agreed to participate (in a number of forms). Some of the content contributors have sent their routines in, many are still pending. If you are planning to submit something, It would be a great help if these could be sent as soon as possible. Please also try to keep these as concise as possible. Please send to: ebookproject(at)yahoo.com

I am spending a couple evenings this week reading through material.

Thanks to all who have chosen to help!

Best Regards,

Sean
Any updates on this project yet?
I have several ideas that I would like to contribute choose, which ever you feel have value. I will PM you info and files.
All,

I am sorry this has not grown legs as it should have. Here is what I propose:

With a donation to the charity of $36 (paid directly to the Hocus Pocus Project) you will receive 24 files from contributors (emailed by me) within a year. I will work to continue to accumulate materials from those who have desired to be a part of this. Contributors will need to provide word documents (which I will convert to PDF). I guarantee that there will be much more value to you than the cost.

We all have busy and often difficult lives, but it should not keep us from helping each other. Can you help me?

Here is how we will start. I will offer any of my ebooks as the first installment of the 24 works. All you have to do is forward me a copy of your paypal payment along with a message regarding which work you would like. Since most of my works are above that price, my promise will be met with the first installment. I promise this will be a great investment in routines and ideas.

Choose from here: http://watersmindworks.com/releases

I have emailed to get the paypal address. Details to follow.

Best Regards,

Sean
Sean, it sounds like you're struggling with getting this together. Many of us here would be willing (and have already offered) to help do the work of compiling the submissions into a single ebook. This would be a much cleaner and user-friendly way of going about the process than trying to track an ever-growing list of donators and which files they each have and haven't received. It also would relieve you of the stress and burden of continuing thepproject over the next year - particularly if further unforeseen difficulties arise for you down the track.

I encourage you not to feel like you have to carry this project alone. I'm sure potential donors are happy to wait another month for things to come together if it will make your life easier. Of the offers of help you've received, choose one you trust to manage laying the book out in one volume. Once that's done, you and that other person can decide whether formatting is a necessity (and I'd say that as long as there is some basic consistency in font, margins and paragraph spacing, that would be all the fanciness required). If you have the assistance of someone with reasonable spare time, you can shrink this project from "within a year" messily and haphazard, to a couple of weeks, once-off. Also, people finding this thread later can easily be caught up with the single volume, and you won't have to spend all the time sending them 24 separate email attachments.