(Close Window)
Topic: AGT 2014
Message: Posted by: Steven Conner (Jun 4, 2014 12:58PM)
Did anybody catch the magicians last night. The two guys with Howie was pretty good. Don't know what it was call, never seen it before, but the trick was good. The rest should have been on the gong show.
Message: Posted by: TuneHV (Jun 4, 2014 01:07PM)
Yes, the trick is 100th Monkey.

There's a discussion about it, and the AGT performance, here:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=532133&forum=218&start=420
Message: Posted by: Blindside785 (Jun 4, 2014 02:31PM)
They did a show at Magic-Con, can't see how they still have day jobs with an act like they have.
Message: Posted by: Steven Conner (Jun 5, 2014 06:19PM)
I agree, they did a great job and appreciate the info about the trick. I had an idea about it but still liked it.
Message: Posted by: Chessmann (Jun 5, 2014 07:17PM)
Then there was the guy whom Howard assisted, who had the tightest fan spread I had ever seen, and had the selected card pulled out from his backside.

Should have tried Kranzo's "Card to Fly".
Message: Posted by: draholdski (Jun 11, 2014 12:14AM)
Smoothini killed it on AGT tonight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTy3qG_qInU
Message: Posted by: Tom Jorgenson (Jun 11, 2014 01:02AM)
He looked good, didn't he. That was nice to see. It'll be fun to watch his next sets.
Message: Posted by: Pastor Mickey (Jun 11, 2014 01:06AM)
Brought down the house with a TT and two sponge balls. Loved it!
Message: Posted by: Spicoli (Jun 11, 2014 01:17AM)
The tricks were pretty basic, but the personality was fun and likable. Love that the crowd was digging it.
Message: Posted by: saysold1 (Jun 11, 2014 01:17AM)
Ya a little more than that - he was VERY smooth and practiced at some of the basic greats.
Message: Posted by: Fire Starter (Jun 11, 2014 02:41AM)
The guy is cool and slick I like it,look a real natural.
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Jun 11, 2014 02:48AM)
Didn't smoothini used to post on here ages ago?
Message: Posted by: Ray Chelt (Jun 11, 2014 08:40AM)
The vital lesson here is that magic can do well in these shows if you have a personality to go with it.

As so many of the great names have said over and over, it's not the trick it's the performer,
Message: Posted by: george1953 (Jun 11, 2014 08:47AM)
Just goes to prove, if you have personality and have learned your craft. You can make the simplest of things entertaining.
Message: Posted by: Mike.Hankins (Jun 11, 2014 10:49AM)
[quote]On Jun 11, 2014, george1953 wrote:
Just goes to prove, if you have personality and have learned your craft. You can make the simplest of things entertaining. [/quote]

Correct. I have seen past AGT's where they have various magicians doing cards from mouth, but didn't get the same reaction as he did. (And he didn't do it as well as some I have seen that have been buzzed.)

It's all about selling yourself. He did a great job at doing that...
Message: Posted by: Aaron Smith Magic (Jun 11, 2014 08:04PM)
That FT of the spongeball is the best I've ever seen. Smoothini crushed it!
Message: Posted by: ricklaxmagic (Jun 11, 2014 08:17PM)
[quote]On Jun 11, 2014, draholdski wrote:
Smoothini killed it on AGT tonight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTy3qG_qInU [/quote]

Totally agree. Loved him. Though my dad did call me to ask why the judges were going so nuts for him when he was doing standard tricks. I think that just means my dad knows more about magic than the average person...
Message: Posted by: Montana76 (Jun 12, 2014 08:36AM)
Ahhh! Smoothini!! Excellent!!
Message: Posted by: Steven Conner (Jun 12, 2014 09:20AM)
What's amazing is how many really great magicians have been on AGT and for whatever reason didn't do that well. IMO no Pro should be allowed on the show but thus far it's not helped them.
Message: Posted by: john wills (Jun 12, 2014 02:27PM)
It's ALL about PERSONALITY and PRESENTATION and SMOOTH technique!!!
He's REFRESHING and "from the next street".
Message: Posted by: Mindpro (Jun 12, 2014 03:03PM)
That's what all true live performance entertainment should be about. Many often fail to understand this.
Message: Posted by: hypblake (Jun 12, 2014 04:35PM)
[quote]On Jun 12, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
That's what all true live performance entertainment should be about. Many often fail to understand this. [/quote]

yet so many don't understand. Most entertaining magician I have seen on agt. Cool and calm and blew everyone away with two sponge balls. I loved it! Agt will want "bigger and badder" which is a shame. I hope he sticks to his guns. Masterclass for every magician watching.
Message: Posted by: hypblake (Jun 12, 2014 04:37PM)
Also I find it amusing that there isn't thread after thread of "how did he do that". Sadly this is what people should try and emulate. I guess it's easier to chase the grail though. Good luck with that. ;)
Message: Posted by: Stucky (Jun 12, 2014 06:17PM)
Despite how well he did and how charming he was, don't forget, this is TV and everyone reacts how they are told to react. I am not discounting what he did, but there is a reason in the past things have done better than others or vice versa. Don't believe the hype.
Message: Posted by: tophatter (Jun 13, 2014 01:29AM)
Likable & you win your crowd over that's exactly what he did ! The rest just Flows !!
Message: Posted by: hypblake (Jun 13, 2014 11:22AM)
[quote]On Jun 12, 2014, Stucky wrote:
Despite how well he did and how charming he was, don't forget, this is TV and everyone reacts how they are told to react. I am not discounting what he did, but there is a reason in the past things have done better than others or vice versa. Don't believe the hype. [/quote]

You are wrong. The crowd is not asked to respond in any special way. They loved what they saw. Easy to follow and understand magic!! Believe the hype smoothini was ENTERTAINING!! Most magicians are mad that his props cost him less than 6 bucks. He wasn't out there with a 700 dollar holy grail. Its like when Blaine busted on the scene and everyone was upset that he was just doing old classics and basic stuff. Haha I love it!!
Message: Posted by: Mike.Hankins (Jun 13, 2014 11:41AM)
[quote]On Jun 13, 2014, hypblake wrote:
[quote]On Jun 12, 2014, Stucky wrote:
Despite how well he did and how charming he was, don't forget, this is TV and everyone reacts how they are told to react. I am not discounting what he did, but there is a reason in the past things have done better than others or vice versa. Don't believe the hype. [/quote]

You are wrong. The crowd is not asked to respond in any special way. They loved what they saw. Easy to follow and understand magic!! Believe the hype smoothini was ENTERTAINING!! Most magicians are mad that his props cost him less than 6 bucks. He wasn't out there with a 700 dollar holy grail. Its like when Blaine busted on the scene and everyone was upset that he was just doing old classics and basic stuff. Haha I love it!! [/quote]

Actually YOU are wrong...lol.

For ANY show that has a studio audience, there is ALWAYS someone (a PA, a "Hype" person, etc), who cues applause and helps facilitate reactions.
Message: Posted by: hypblake (Jun 13, 2014 11:50AM)
[quote]On Jun 13, 2014, Mike.Hankins wrote:
[quote]On Jun 13, 2014, hypblake wrote:
[quote]On Jun 12, 2014, Stucky wrote:
Despite how well he did and how charming he was, don't forget, this is TV and everyone reacts how they are told to react. I am not discounting what he did, but there is a reason in the past things have done better than others or vice versa. Don't believe the hype. [/quote]

You are wrong. The crowd is not asked to respond in any special way. They loved what they saw. Easy to follow and understand magic!! Believe the hype smoothini was ENTERTAINING!! Most magicians are mad that his props cost him less than 6 bucks. He wasn't out there with a 700 dollar holy grail. Its like when Blaine busted on the scene and everyone was upset that he was just doing old classics and basic stuff. Haha I love it!! [/quote]

Actually YOU are wrong...lol.

For ANY show that has a studio audience, there is ALWAYS someone (a PA, a "Hype" person, etc), who cues applause and helps facilitate reactions. [/quote]
Message: Posted by: hypblake (Jun 13, 2014 11:53AM)
Gotcha so a magician can't entertain with those items? Really good to know!! So I was being hyped at home? Along with everyone else watching on TV? Interesting things you can learn here on the Café. Never mind smoothini you suck. I was just being hyped.
Message: Posted by: Mike.Hankins (Jun 13, 2014 12:06PM)
[quote]On Jun 13, 2014, hypblake wrote:
Gotcha so a magician can't entertain with those items? Really good to know!! So I was being hyped at home? Along with everyone else watching on TV? Interesting things you can learn here on the Café. Never mind smoothini you suck. I was just being hyped. [/quote]

LOL!

A Magician CAN entertain with those items. It's been done for hundreds of years...

I am NOT saying that what he did was NOT great. He did an AWESOME job!

I was simply stating a fact. I have a friend who works for Saturday Night Live. I have been on that set many times. They have production assistants who cue the audience when to cheer at something or when to start or stop applauding. The laughter comes naturally, yes, but there is a cue person.

Same thing with ANY TV show which has a live studio audience...
Message: Posted by: Steven Conner (Jun 13, 2014 12:06PM)
Nothing wrong with a prompter. The bottom line is that he did very well. I personally don't like Blaine, but he got the TV gig worked it and made a ton of money. Problem is envy.
Message: Posted by: hypblake (Jun 13, 2014 02:38PM)
I doubt they need much of a prompt to boo or cheer. You can tell when they like what they see.
Message: Posted by: Mike.Hankins (Jun 13, 2014 03:14PM)
[quote]On Jun 13, 2014, hypblake wrote:
I doubt they need much of a prompt to boo or cheer. You can tell when they like what they see. [/quote]

Yea it seems that way. Kind of a let down when you actually sit in on these studio audiences and you find out that you are TOLD what to do...
Message: Posted by: Cassidy001 (Jun 13, 2014 03:44PM)
Smoothini did a great job with the simplest of props. He made it very entertaining and he was very likable. He was also very humble. I hope that he has a f rey good future.
Message: Posted by: hypblake (Jun 13, 2014 04:53PM)
[quote]On Jun 13, 2014, Mike.Hankins wrote:
[quote]On Jun 13, 2014, hypblake wrote:
I doubt they need much of a prompt to boo or cheer. You can tell when they like what they see. [/quote]

Yea it seems that way. Kind of a let down when you actually sit in on these studio audiences and you find out that you are TOLD what to do... [/quote]

So you have personally sat in on the filming of an AGT show? I know many that have.
Message: Posted by: Mike.Hankins (Jun 13, 2014 05:52PM)
Yea in NYC, first time Howard Stern was there...
Message: Posted by: GordonTheHypnotist (Jun 16, 2014 02:47AM)
I went to a couple of tapings in Chicago of last season. They told us that if we didn't like something to stand up and cross our arms in an X but if we liked something to let the judges know that we liked it by cheering very loudly. They want to get the crowd hyped up either way. But we were never told to specifically boo or cheer any one act. In the four hours that I was there we found ourselves cheering for the ones who had a small amount of talent because most acts did not. I remember this girl came out to sing and she was just okay but the crowd got on her side because she was the first act in about an hour and a half that was decent. Howard actually said "I don't think this girl is ready for a competition like this and the stress will be too much for her to handle, but the crowd likes her so yeah I'll give her a shot". Ultimately he was right and she got booted the next round. But we were never told who to like or dislike. We were just told whichever way we leaned make sure to be animated about it and to be louder and louder. It is a tedious process because it is at least 10-15 minutes between acts. Meanwhile you got Howard with his hair dresser making sure every strand of hair is in its perfect place, Mel B on her cell phone texting. Howie usually goofing with random audience members. They have bad audience trivia and you rarely see Nick Cannon because he is filming those in the wings side conversations you see now and then.
Message: Posted by: hypblake (Jun 17, 2014 11:04PM)
[quote]On Jun 16, 2014, GordonTheHypnotist wrote:
I went to a couple of tapings in Chicago of last season. They told us that if we didn't like something to stand up and cross our arms in an X but if we liked something to let the judges know that we liked it by cheering very loudly. They want to get the crowd hyped up either way. But we were never told to specifically boo or cheer any one act. In the four hours that I was there we found ourselves cheering for the ones who had a small amount of talent because most acts did not. I remember this girl came out to sing and she was just okay but the crowd got on her side because she was the first act in about an hour and a half that was decent. Howard actually said "I don't think this girl is ready for a competition like this and the stress will be too much for her to handle, but the crowd likes her so yeah I'll give her a shot". Ultimately he was right and she got booted the next round. But we were never told who to like or dislike. We were just told whichever way we leaned make sure to be animated about it and to be louder and louder. It is a tedious process because it is at least 10-15 minutes between acts. Meanwhile you got Howard with his hair dresser making sure every strand of hair is in its perfect place, Mel B on her cell phone texting. Howie usually goofing with random audience members. They have bad audience trivia and you rarely see Nick Cannon because he is filming those in the wings side conversations you see now and then. [/quote]

I've never been, but everyone I have ever talked to has reported something similar. That is why I found it odd others here were saying they had prompters when they saw it.
Message: Posted by: innermind (Jun 18, 2014 07:04PM)
Last night's episode featured a very good audition from magician Mat Franco. He did a card story routine, so if you enjoy Bill Malone's Sam the Bellhop routine, you should like Mat Franco's audition.



[youtube]5-uZsYGFJMk[/youtube]


Nicely done!
Message: Posted by: Mike.Hankins (Jun 19, 2014 11:23AM)
[quote]On Jun 18, 2014, innermind wrote:
Last night's episode featured a very good audition from magician Mat Franco. He did a card story routine, so if you enjoy Bill Malone's Sam the Bellhop routine, you should like Mat Franco's audition.



[youtube]5-uZsYGFJMk[/youtube]


Nicely done! [/quote]

This kid nailed it too!! Good for him!
Message: Posted by: Corey K (Jun 20, 2014 03:44PM)
Mat has been a good friend of mine for many years. If anyone deserves this it's him! Can't wait to see what he has in store for is next time.
Message: Posted by: Steve Suss (Jun 20, 2014 04:15PM)
Bravo! Great job!!!
Steve
Message: Posted by: magic1178 (Jun 20, 2014 09:16PM)
Solid and personal.
Bravo :applause:
Message: Posted by: Steven Conner (Jun 20, 2014 09:35PM)
His script was right on. Writing the script like that was the real magic.
Message: Posted by: TCB (Jun 21, 2014 04:52PM)
That was a terrific performance by Mat Franco. It would seem like that trick took tons of practice and very good memorization skills
Message: Posted by: Ray Chelt (Jun 21, 2014 04:57PM)
Well you couldn't watch that without smiling..Great stuff.
Message: Posted by: TCB (Jun 21, 2014 05:25PM)
[quote]On Jun 18, 2014, innermind wrote:
Last night's episode featured a very good audition from magician Mat Franco. He did a card story routine, so if you enjoy Bill Malone's Sam the Bellhop routine, you should like Mat Franco's audition.



[youtube]5-uZsYGFJMk[/youtube]


Nicely done! [/quote]

He certainly took Sam the Bellhop to a different level.I guess it's never a bad thing to take a great routine , and make it even better by adding new moves to it
Message: Posted by: Mindpro (Jun 21, 2014 11:40PM)
Another example of great scripting combined with a great performance personality. Strong audition.
Message: Posted by: george1953 (Jun 22, 2014 03:03AM)
Nice story line, I love the storytelling deck routines.
Message: Posted by: Devious (Jun 22, 2014 07:25AM)
Great job Smooth! Continued success on the road and on the show Devil Dog!

Hit me up when you get back to San Diego and please say, "Hi" to the gang
at Wonderground for me Brother!
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jun 23, 2014 03:31PM)
Guys it is television. It is what it is. Audiences are told what to do, have been for decades. Get over it. They take NO CHANCES on anything. Too much money involved. Don't forget the editing.

Now that says NOTHING about any of the acts. Not a single word. They can nail it, and the above STILL BE TRUE.
Message: Posted by: TCB (Jun 24, 2014 11:05AM)
[quote]On Jun 23, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Guys it is television. It is what it is. Audiences are told what to do, have been for decades. Get over it. They take NO CHANCES on anything. Too much money involved. Don't forget the editing.

Now that says NOTHING about any of the acts. Not a single word. They can nail it, and the above STILL BE TRUE. [/quote]

So true, years ago I was in Hollywood for the television series "In Concert". It was at an old theater in Hollywood called the Aquarius. It was absolutly free for us locals to get in, and you got to see the great acts of the day. The downside was you had to sit and wait an eternity between acts. You also had to endure these sesions where they filmed the crowd going crazy. This wasn't in response to any act. The producers would come out, and say " OK folks when I throw up my hands in the air, I want you to go crazy like you are out of your mind. Yell, scream, whistle, clap, just go crazy. They would use those segments on the show. Does anybody remember "In Concert"? It was on the ABC network in the 70's.
Message: Posted by: mfranco77 (Jun 26, 2014 03:33AM)
Hi everyone,

I genuinely appreciate your kind words! Thank you for being awesome and recognizing an honest effort that was put forth for this performance. As most of you know, this routine would not have been possible without studying Bill Malone, who popularized the Sam the Bellhop plot on a global scale in 1994 on the first World's Greatest Magic special on NBC. After years of studying card story routines, Malone's presentation has always remained my favorite, and it's super flattering to hear people even putting his version and mine in the same sentence. Reading your thoughtful comments is significantly more pleasant than reading YouTube comments; that's something I'll need to learn to avoid. haha!

Really, thank you very much!

- Mat Franco
Message: Posted by: TCB (Jun 26, 2014 11:12AM)
[quote]On Jun 12, 2014, hypblake wrote:
Also I find it amusing that there isn't thread after thread of "how did he do that". Sadly this is what people should try and emulate. I guess it's easier to chase the grail though. Good luck with that. ;) [/quote]

Why would there be thread after thread about how he did it. We don't give away method here. Besides to most magi those are well known tricks
Message: Posted by: TCB (Jun 26, 2014 11:25AM)
[quote]On Jun 26, 2014, mfranco77 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I genuinely appreciate your kind words! Thank you for being awesome and recognizing an honest effort that was put forth for this performance. As most of you know, this routine would not have been possible without studying Bill Malone, who popularized the Sam the Bellhop plot on a global scale in 1994 on the first World's Greatest Magic special on NBC. After years of studying card story routines, Malone's presentation has always remained my favorite, and it's super flattering to hear people even putting his version and mine in the same sentence. Reading your thoughtful comments is significantly more pleasant than reading YouTube comments; that's something I'll need to learn to avoid. haha!

Really, thank you very much!


- Mat Franco [/quote]

Mat excellent performance, you blew everybody away! It's true here we try to encourage one and other, while you tube has a bunch of idots that will say anything just to be ******. One thing I would like to know is, Did the show help you with the card sized pictures of the judges, or did you do that on your own?
Message: Posted by: Steven Conner (Jun 26, 2014 12:17PM)
[quote]On Jun 26, 2014, TCB wrote:
[quote]On Jun 12, 2014, hypblake wrote:
Also I find it amusing that there isn't thread after thread of "how did he do that". Sadly this is what people should try and emulate. I guess it's easier to chase the grail though. Good luck with that. ;) [/quote]

Why would there be thread after thread about how he did it. We don't give away method here. Besides to most magi those are well known tricks [/quote]

What was new here was his presentation. I once remember Doc Eason's deck really getting messed up during a performance of Sam the Bellhop. His adlibing was one of the funniest routines I have ever seen. The ability to carry on as if nothing happened was priceless. Matt did an awesome job and I'm guessing he got the pictures off the Internet.
Message: Posted by: TCB (Jun 27, 2014 09:00AM)
[quote]On Jun 26, 2014, Steven Conner wrote:
[quote]On Jun 26, 2014, TCB wrote:
[quote]On Jun 12, 2014, hypblake wrote:
Also I find it amusing that there isn't thread after thread of "how did he do that". Sadly this is what people should try and emulate. I guess it's easier to chase the grail though. Good luck with that. ;) [/quote]

Why would there be thread after thread about how he did it. We don't give away method here. Besides to most magi those are well known tricks [/quote]

What was new here was his presentation. I once remember Doc Eason's deck really getting messed up during a performance of Sam the Bellhop. His adlibing was one of the funniest routines I have ever seen. The ability to carry on as if nothing happened was priceless. Matt did an awesome job and I'm guessing he got the pictures off the Internet. [/quote]

I hear what your saying about the internet Steven. My thinking was a big network show like that has people that are there just to help with stuff like that. I figured all Mat would have had to do was tell a producer, I need a picture of all four judges the exact size of a playing card :)This makes even more sense when you think about the fact that the pictures used, would probably need to be approved by the talent. Especially Howard, who is very picky about what pictures of him are used. This is because certain light,or angles , make him look like a buzzard :)
Message: Posted by: Steven Conner (Jun 27, 2014 10:21AM)
Yeah, I agree.
Message: Posted by: mfranco77 (Jun 27, 2014 11:39PM)
Thanks again y'all. I had to create the card pictures myself. I used Internet photos for my initial version that I pitched for the show. Once we knew it would be shot for TV, I was provided with 'approved' images via email to use, so I had to print those and recreate the card photos.
Message: Posted by: TCB (Jun 29, 2014 02:47PM)
[quote]On Jun 28, 2014, mfranco77 wrote:
Thanks again y'all. I had to create the card pictures myself. I used Internet photos for my initial version that I pitched for the show. Once we knew it would be shot for TV, I was provided with 'approved' images via email to use, so I had to print those and recreate the card photos. [/quote]

Thanks for the insight Mat. You were terrific, and absolutely cool, calm, and in control in a situation where one slip up could have been a disaster. We are waiting for your next performance with baited breath. Knock them dead Brother!!!
Message: Posted by: David French (Jul 10, 2014 12:42PM)
I am pleased for all the magicians on the show this year and in years past. Very nice that AGT is allowing more close up magic this year. Seems years ago, they told contestants that they wanted large illusions.

Too bad Scott Alexander is not part of this post, he could enlighten us.
Message: Posted by: innermind (Jul 24, 2014 12:24AM)
Four magic/mentalism acts successfully made the cut for the final 48.


http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9



Congrats to:
Smoothini
David and Leeman
Mat Franco
Mike Super (and Desmond)

Plus a fifth act if you count the eight-year-old playing card thrower, Dominic.




David
Message: Posted by: BCE (Jul 24, 2014 09:33AM)
[quote]On Jul 23, 2014, innermind wrote:
Four magic/mentalism acts successfully made the cut for the final 48.


http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9



Congrats to:
Smoothini
David and Leeman
Mat Franco
Mike Super (and Desmond)

Plus a fifth act if you count the eight-year-old playing card thrower, Dominic.




David [/quote]

SPOILER ALERT would be nice. (Isn't the unwritten rule a few days out?) Now, I have to "forget" who's who when I'm watching it. :)
Message: Posted by: Mind Guerrilla (Jul 24, 2014 04:07PM)
What happened to Rogue? He passed the audition with his staple gun roulette act but I did not see him in the second round.
Message: Posted by: innermind (Jul 24, 2014 10:42PM)
[quote]On Jul 24, 2014, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
What happened to Rogue? He passed the audition with his staple gun roulette act but I did not see him in the second round. [/quote]

It was a strange two-night 2nd round broadcast because.................
...............The broadcast did not show the fate of many 2nd round performers such as Rogue, Smoothini, and Mike Super. The only way to see if those folks made the final 48 cut was to view the list at the web link I provided in my previous post. (Mike Super had to perform in the 2nd round, and his performance was shown on TV, but his fate wasn't divulged on the broadcast.......also, Both Rogue's, and Smoothini's 2nd round performances were not even broadcast, and the only way to know their fate was to check the online list).

At the beginning of the episode, David and Leeman, and little Dominic did not even have to perform in the 2nd round because they were deemed so good by the judges that they were sent directly through to the final 48. Perhaps this happened to Smoothini too, but his 2nd round fate wasn't mentioned on the broadcast, but if you look online, he is obviously on the final 48 list...whereas Rogue is NOT on the list.

Therefore, because of the lack of information given in the 2nd round broadcasts, I feel I didn't spoil anything (because viewers who watched the 2nd round broadcasts would be scratching their head, wondering about the fate of some of the contestants)......rather, I listed the magic acts who made the final 48 because the broadcast failed to properly inform the viewers. Perhaps NBC purposely does this in order to force people to visit their AGT website (in order to increase website hits), and thus, make their web advertisers happy?





David
Message: Posted by: BCE (Jul 24, 2014 11:22PM)
[quote]On Jul 24, 2014, innermind wrote:
[quote]On Jul 24, 2014, Mind Guerrilla wrote:
What happened to Rogue? He passed the audition with his staple gun roulette act but I did not see him in the second round. [/quote]

It was a strange two-night 2nd round broadcast because.................
...............The broadcast did not show the fate of many 2nd round performers such as Rogue, Smoothini, and Mike Super. The only way to see if those folks made the final 48 cut was to view the list at the web link I provided in my previous post. (Mike Super had to perform in the 2nd round, and his performance was shown on TV, but his fate wasn't divulged on the broadcast.......also, Both Rogue's, and Smoothini's 2nd round performances were not even broadcast, and the only way to know their fate was to check the online list).

At the beginning of the episode, David and Leeman, and little Dominic did not even have to perform in the 2nd round because they were deemed so good by the judges that they were sent directly through to the final 48. Perhaps this happened to Smoothini too, but his 2nd round fate wasn't mentioned on the broadcast, but if you look online, he is obviously on the final 48 list...whereas Rogue is NOT on the list.

Therefore, because of the lack of information given in the 2nd round broadcasts, I feel I didn't spoil anything (because viewers who watched the 2nd round broadcasts would be scratching their head, wondering about the fate of some of the contestants)......rather, I listed the magic acts who made the final 48 because the broadcast failed to properly inform the viewers. Perhaps NBC purposely does this in order to force people to visit their AGT website (in order to increase website hits), and thus, make their web advertisers happy?


David [/quote]

This is true (and hence, no gripes here about any pre-results spoilers :)) Whoever edited the show for broadcast did a very choppy job, jumping from "act category" to category, from magic to dancers to whoever else and yes, I also wondered what happened to Smoothini. I wish they would have started some of the 'judgment week' stuff last week instead of the reruns because of what I have seen so far, it was a very poorly-directed show (I'm referring to the NBC broadcast, not any of the performers.) And I thought some contestants could apply via "Today Show" video? Did any magicians apply via "Today Show" video? So, I'm guessing a true SPOILER ALERT might not be necessary until some of the live shows where everyone is (let's hope) accounted-for.
Message: Posted by: MikeSuper (Jul 25, 2014 10:23AM)
Thanks for the congrats innermind!
Truly appreciate it!
Message: Posted by: TyTheMagician (Jul 30, 2014 11:46AM)
I think there are some great magicians on AGT this year. All four that made it through were very deserving, in my opinion. I really liked seeing some close up guys like Mat Franco and Smoothini make it through.

MikeSuper, your performance in judgement week fooled me BADLY.
Message: Posted by: Steven Conner (Aug 5, 2014 11:36PM)
Matt nailed it again tonight. This could be the start of a really good thing for him.
Message: Posted by: Snidini (Aug 19, 2014 09:18PM)
One important thing to remember folks is that if any of these great acts are to go through, we must all do our job and VOTE!
Message: Posted by: Jbond207 (Aug 20, 2014 10:26PM)
I enjoyed watching Mike Super. He did some neat stuff. I was wondering though about his use of "Desmond." Is that getting close to spiritualism? Is that something magicians should promote? I perform a lot for kids and schools. I always try to make a point that my "magic" comes from reading, hard work and practice. I think I would get some concerned parents if I started using a spirit friend. With that said, Mike Super was very entertaining and I don't really believe tat many people bought into the whole "Desmond" thing. What do others think about presenting a "spirit" as being real? Just wondering.
Message: Posted by: innermind (Aug 21, 2014 03:59AM)
The semi-finals (final 20 contestants/acts) are set.

http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9

Congrats to the three magic acts successfully making the semi-finals:

- David and Leeman
- Mat Franco
- Smoothini







David
Message: Posted by: Mindpro (Aug 21, 2014 08:03AM)
[quote]On Aug 20, 2014, Jbond207 wrote:
I enjoyed watching Mike Super. He did some neat stuff. I was wondering though about his use of "Desmond." Is that getting close to spiritualism? Is that something magicians should promote? I perform a lot for kids and schools. I always try to make a point that my "magic" comes from reading, hard work and practice. I think I would get some concerned parents if I started using a spirit friend. With that said, Mike Super was very entertaining and I don't really believe tat many people bought into the whole "Desmond" thing. What do others think about presenting a "spirit" as being real? Just wondering. [/quote]

I agree with your thoughts on Desmond. Mike is a likable guy but seesm wishy washy to me. He also won Phonomenon on NBC a few years ago as a "mentalist". While I like him, I feel audience find him confusing. On Phenomenom he was too magicy and on AGT the whole Desmond thing I didn't care for.

I think on these show you are looking for good mass-appeal commercial material that can strike a cord with the judges, studio audience in the theater and the home viewers. Desmond was a premise (the whole spirit thing) that is far-fetched, unbelievable and of course carries religious connotations to many. I'm not sure I would choose it at this point of the competition if I was concerned with wanting to move on. At least during the earlier rounds you only have to convince three of the judges, but at this point it seemed like a bad move to me.

The whole spirit thing does not play well to the masses.
Message: Posted by: Steven Conner (Aug 21, 2014 08:25AM)
I enjoyed last night as well as watching the ellusionists. The biggest problem I have with AGT is it should be for amateurs and not professionals. There are several Pro's that's been on there and didn't go that far, such as Kevin, Jonathan, Scott just to mention a few. All of these have been on the big stage and made the really big money. Just my opinion.
Message: Posted by: Mindpro (Aug 21, 2014 08:34AM)
Yeah I agree with this, and yet I think to many regular home viewers they do not always realize it, even though it is often mentioned in the pre-performance interviews.
Message: Posted by: Jbond207 (Aug 21, 2014 09:45PM)
Mindpro -
I agree with what you say about selecting material that resonates with the judges. I think the choice of several of this year's magicians to do close-up at the judges table and/or use judges as volunteers is a good one. If you can do magic that emotionally connects with the judges you, in my opinion, stand a greater chance of getting a strong emotional reaction from the judges. I think this is key in a competition, not only in the early rounds but also in the later ones. I love the big stage illusions but it is difficult to get the same emotional response from the judges as David and Leeman, Matt Franco, and Smoothini did. The reaction from the judges not only affects their own vote but also the viewing audience. The look on Howie's face when he pulled the card from his back pocket was priceless and almost guaranteed that Franco would advance. All three of the magic acts that are moving on have been great. Hat's off to them. (Top hat of course.)
Message: Posted by: Mindpro (Aug 21, 2014 11:24PM)
The problem with the closeup stuff is it can play well during the audition rounds, but where the trouble comes in is later in the competition where the focus becomes more about who can headline and carry a Las Vegas show. Closeup is not very conducive to this and when compared to other larger acts, closeup magic will likely lose out.

The close up is a great starting point and way to get the judges attention and on your side, but they must evolve beyond that to stand a real chance.
Message: Posted by: Mike.Hankins (Aug 26, 2014 10:57AM)
I'm surprised that they aren't throwing a large projector screen for all in the audience to see. (Including the judges).
Message: Posted by: innermind (Aug 26, 2014 05:47PM)
Four Wild Card acts have been selected/brought back to join the 20 semi-finalists to increase the field to 24 contestants.

http://www.nbc.com/americas-got-talent/cast/season-9


Congrats to Mike Super for being brought back as one of the four Wild Card acts.

Semi final #1 live broadcast is tonight.








David
Message: Posted by: innermind (Aug 28, 2014 07:44AM)
Both magic acts (Mike Super and David & Leeman) which took part in semi-final #1 Tuesday night made it through to the final 12.

Congrats.



Next Tuesday is semi final #2, and two more magic acts will take part in that competition broadcast...Mat Franco and Smoothini. Good luck to both of them.








David
Message: Posted by: MartiniMagic (Sep 1, 2014 06:44PM)
This is great, a possible 4 magic acts in the final 12. WOW. And the Houdini Mini Series Tonight. A lot of magic on TV which I love. I watch all the shows.
Message: Posted by: MartiniMagic (Sep 3, 2014 06:51PM)
Last nights two magicians were great. The best two magic acts I have ever seen on AGT. We'll see tonight if they get through. I think they will, the performances were that good.
Message: Posted by: TCB (Sep 4, 2014 10:39AM)
First of all I thought all Mike Super's stuff was lame. He didn't do one thing that took any skill. Smoothini and Mat Franco were great! Smoothini takes some basic magic, and makes it great with his personality (I'm just messin with you, I'm just messin with you)). I know the old shoelaces through the pocket and down the leg trick, but that's usually used for tied/untied shoelaces. Howies ring on the shoelaces was a brilliant touch. Matt Franco's routine with Mel B's phone was phenomenal! He had to have assistants on that one. He took two pictures of the cards, so I guessed duplicate phones, but one still had to be loaded in the seat 642 or 462 therefore also a force with three different cards involved. Brilliant
Message: Posted by: MartiniMagic (Sep 6, 2014 12:42AM)
[quote]On Sep 4, 2014, TCB wrote:
First of all I thought all Mike Super's stuff was lame. He didn't do one thing that took any skill. Smoothini and Mat Franco were great! Smoothini takes some basic magic, and makes it great with his personality (I'm just messin with you, I'm just messin with you)). I know the old shoelaces through the pocket and down the leg trick, but that's usually used for tied/untied shoelaces. Howies ring on the shoelaces was a brilliant touch. Matt Franco's routine with Mel B's phone was phenomenal! He had to have assistants on that one. He took two pictures of the cards, so I guessed duplicate phones, but one still had to be loaded in the seat 642 or 462 therefore also a force with three different cards involved. Brilliant [/quote]

I agree MikeSuper's act was merely a force (not a very well done one) and a reveal. I was blown away by Smoothini but when I watched it a second time I saw all that what he did. It was still a lot to pull all that off on camera and he was cleaner than last time. The one with the seat really fooled me. That is a good point about the two pictures.

Smoothini did not make it through. I think he messed up by complete ignoring Howard Stern all three times. Howard's ego cannot handle that and he probably lobbied hard to get rid of him even though he was very good the night before.
Message: Posted by: TCB (Sep 6, 2014 07:41PM)
Howard was absolutely right.Smoothini needed illusions that play much bigger for this juncture of the competition. Mat Franco understood this, and that's why he is in the final 12
Message: Posted by: Ba Ba Booey (Sep 11, 2014 12:28AM)
Well, the results are in. One of the three magician acts made it through to the final round next week. A magician now has a one in six chance. It's a long shot, but good exposure for the top three.
Message: Posted by: innermind (Sep 11, 2014 01:40AM)
Four vocal acts made the final six. That is a bit much and kind of disappointing. AGT is not The Voice nor American Idol, and the primary reason I watch AGT is because all sorts of variety acts are included in the competition. The only two non-vocal acts in next weeks finals competition are Acro Army and Mat Franco.

I will be rooting for Mat Franco, but would not be disappointed if vocalist Emily West wins...IMO she is fantastic.

[youtube]prJCWep0Fug[/youtube]
Message: Posted by: Inviso (Sep 11, 2014 11:20AM)
I think Howard could be right, the 4 great singing acts may water down the votes and give Mat an outside chance. I do think it will be Emily West that wins.

BTW, Mat made a great save on that last performance without skipping a beat.
Message: Posted by: Mike.Hankins (Sep 11, 2014 01:52PM)
Once again proving how effective an ACR is to laymen! :)
Message: Posted by: DrNorth (Sep 12, 2014 04:57AM)
I am glad Matt made it through. All of the magicians were top level this year and I was rooting for them all.
On a side note. for Matt's last performance, do you think the judges missed the fact that when he did his ambitious card bit for Heidi he had the wrong card in his mouth?
Also, though I doubt the judges caught it because of misdirection, but how many lay people in the TV audience caught the switch with the tin and card that was seemed so blatant on TV. Or would it only be obvious to magicians? I mean I know I've noticed when the switch happens with many top level magicians, but only because I know when and how it does happen. As such I can't turn off my mind enough to be fooled. I can see the move is flawless, but I know it. Like knowing the hype in 3 card monte.

Good luck Matt!! I hope you win!! :dancing: :cheering:
Message: Posted by: DrNorth (Sep 12, 2014 05:02AM)
Question about Matt's last performance, S9 Ep22. This is the performance that got him into the final 6. His opener he used a card force I have seen many times and seems very popular when a TV magician wants to force a card on his TV audience. I have no idea what it is called, I call it visible retention force. He riffles the deck at the camera, we see all the different cards fly by, but one stands out. Usually the flow is smoother than his was, the cards seemed to stop at the force, most times it just kind blurs by, but still stands out.
Is it a gaff one buys? Or a gaff one makes? I am NOT asking the secret, I just want sources to buy or research. Thanks
Message: Posted by: Jerskin (Sep 12, 2014 01:27PM)
There are gaffed and ungaffed methods
Message: Posted by: Ba Ba Booey (Sep 13, 2014 10:41AM)
Should all these methods of this and that really be discussed in this thread? Just sayin', some things are being discussed in more detail than they should be, don't you think?
Message: Posted by: Jbond207 (Sep 14, 2014 12:38AM)
Congrats to Matt Franco for making it to the finals! Your magic is smart, amazing, and fun. Good luck.

I also really enjoyed David and Leeman. Kudos to all the magicians who performed this year. :rabbitfromhat:
Message: Posted by: Ba Ba Booey (Sep 15, 2014 06:47PM)
Tomorrow night will be Mat's last chance to perform and get votes. Whether he wins or not, he's done well as a magician on AGT. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the top 12 acts go on a tour? If so, then there will be three magic acts on the tour. Not bad...
Message: Posted by: MaxfieldsMagic (Sep 16, 2014 10:39PM)
Hope they don't punt and just give it to a singer again.
Message: Posted by: landmark (Sep 17, 2014 09:47AM)
[quote]On Sep 16, 2014, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Hope they don't punt and just give it to a singer again. [/quote]
I suspect that at least some of the producers get a cut from the subsequent pennies that winners make. Probably more likely that a singer will bring in the coin in greater quantity than a magish would.
Message: Posted by: MaxfieldsMagic (Sep 17, 2014 04:05PM)
Good point. That explains a lot.
Message: Posted by: MaxfieldsMagic (Sep 17, 2014 09:00PM)
NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message: Posted by: innermind (Sep 17, 2014 09:11PM)
Nice!

Magician Mat Franco is the winner!

Top Six Order:

6 - Miguel Dakota
5 - Quintavious Johnson
4 - Sons of Serendip
3 - Acro Army
2 - Emily West
1 - Mat Franco

Congrats to Mat Franco!







David
Message: Posted by: Marvello (Sep 17, 2014 09:47PM)
Not only am I glad that Mat Franco won, but I am glad that Emily West [b]didn't[/b] win. She had a recording contract with Capitol Records, and appeared on Celebrity Apprentice in an episode where the teams had to help promote a singer, and she was one of the two singers they worked on creating marketing materials for. I would call that a ringer...
Message: Posted by: Mike.Hankins (Sep 18, 2014 10:25AM)
Anyone else notice Franco during his Cups and Balls when he took a ball away and "put it in his pocket"? He didn't have a pocket, and that was no Bill Malone pun there. He just went through the motion of doing said movement...lol.

The idea of taking OOTW and bringing it to the stage was great. Good on him.
Message: Posted by: Ba Ba Booey (Sep 27, 2014 03:57AM)
[quote]On Sep 17, 2014, Marvello wrote:
Not only am I glad that Mat Franco won, but I am glad that Emily West [b]didn't[/b] win. She had a recording contract with Capitol Records, and appeared on Celebrity Apprentice in an episode where the teams had to help promote a singer, and she was one of the two singers they worked on creating marketing materials for. I would call that a ringer... [/quote]

It isn't an amateur contest. There have been many professionals competing on AGT over the years. Besides professional singers and comedians, there have been folks like Dan Sperry and Kevin James who have competed.