(Close Window)
Topic: If you could really read someone's mind
What information would you want to know about someone if you really could read their mind? I'm just trying to brainstorm some ideas for a routine.

Heres what I can think of at the moment; I would like to hear your ideas:
Name
??
??
Maybe downstairs would be better in case anyone slips up on too much info?
Is she single.
Is she interested.
Does she have her own teeth.

While I'm serious about the above, it also emphasises my belief that if mind reading really did exist, the things we mentalists currently reveal would be some of the last things we would actually want to know.
Sex & money. All the rest is padding. ;)
[quote]On Jun 21, 2014, Voodini wrote:
Sex & money. All the rest is padding. ;) [/quote]

Nailed it!
Their biggest, darkest secret...not to blackmail them, just to be nosy...
[quote]On Jun 21, 2014, Yano wrote:
What information would you want to know about someone if you really could read their mind? I'm just trying to brainstorm some ideas for a routine.

Heres what I can think of at the moment; I would like to hear your ideas:
Name
??
?? [/quote]

Is he really cares about reading his mind ;)
I think you would be bored shi-t-less if you could read minds. I reckon most people think the same mundane tripe.

Now if I could make anyone do anything instantly that would be interesting for a couple of weeks at least..
From a practical standpoint, you'd want to know their honesty, ethics and morality. You'd want to know their biggest worry, their biggest hope, their biggest joy. You'd also want to know when they're lying.

You'd hope to be able to parse what they don't consciously know about that's hindering them, and you'd want to know their biggest ego-trap.

That would give you a pretty good reading, and a good overview of them as a person for all your own personal reasons.
That can be achieved in a short conversation you don't need any special "ESP".

[quote]On Jun 21, 2014, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
From a practical standpoint, you'd want to know their honesty, ethics and morality. You'd want to know their biggest worry, their biggest hope, their biggest joy. You'd also want to know when they're lying.

You'd hope to be able to parse what they don't consciously know about that's hindering them, and you'd want to know their biggest ego-trap.

That would give you a pretty good reading, and a good overview of them as a person for all your own personal reasons. [/quote]
Well when you really stop to think about it... it wouldn't take more than a few days of telling them what they were thinking before you'd say alright, that's enough, leave me alone now! However, you could certainly have some fun with practical jokes and playing with peoples heads.

So, maybe that's a premise to explore with an effect... hmmm...
Might be interesting to read their minds so you know what they really think about you. You might not like it though.
Message: Posted by: Christopher Taylor (Jun 22, 2014 09:22AM)
If you really could read minds as an ability unique to you, it would be a matter of "power corrupts". Unless you were very Hobbit-like. Seriously, it is an interesting theatrical question, especially with the proliferation of super hero movies, because it could make you into a crime-buster; police consultant or world's greatest thief.

Christopher
I can read minds for real but I'm not telling anyone (besides here in this quasi anonymity).
I use it for my own selfish reasons and I read quite a lot of disturbing s*it all day long.
I'm not telling anyone, because this ability gives me the edge over almost anyone, which I probably wouldn't have without it.

who knows, at some point in the future I might think different and would use this power for the sake of humanity but for now I just like to have some fun.

btw : Mr Voodini is pretty spot on :)
Consider that if you could "connect with another mind" they could also read yours! Can you insure that only those thoughts you wish to be revealed are sent? Can you shield yourself from non-permissive mental plundering?

If not, then why would you wish to engage in such an activity? If yes, then why would not the other person be able to also?

Notice that performers like "Bob" only read minds of those who have given him permission to do so - and then only under certain conditions and skits. Folks buy into this approach of pretending at mind reading, which gives an indication of how they would feel about having their mind read for real.

Telepathy (real or pretend) can be a wonderful thing if not invasive or manipulative. Methinks that if you "stole thoughts" or committed "mental assault you would be held accountable ethically or legally at some point.

Do you really wish to read minds?
Why is my name in quotation marks? It's really my "name".
Message: Posted by: The Forgotten One (Jun 22, 2014 10:53PM)
If I could read minds I probably would be using it for practical things when I really want to know what others are thinking. I believe mind reading just for fun would become boring very fast, because people think just everyday thoughts.

Of course making money from it would be tempting, but... Would I like to reveal I really can be reading minds? And what happen after that? Fame and big money or would I be test subject?
Tru Blood
"real telepathy" is quite possibly "something else"...its just if we want to believe something is true, then we re-arrange facts to reinforce those beliefs...

"thanks"
[quote]On Jun 21, 2014, Voodini wrote:
Sex & money. All the rest is padding. ;) [/quote]

Ah, at last an honest man in the Café! Now shut up and give me your hand so I can read your fortune!
You do have a fortune, don't you?
Cuz if you don't we can end our affair right here!
While money can't buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.

xxx Morgaine
[quote]On Jun 22, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Why is my name in quotation marks? It's really my "name". [/quote]

Out of respect -- to indicate the special "Bob" as opposed to just any Bob or one of those things on a fish line. I did not use your full name in the belief that all readers of this thread would instantly know what "Bob" meant.
But, to answer your question: I wouldn't.
It would be crossing the final frontier.
It's similar to the question 'what would you wish for if you had Aladdin's lamp' or 'what if you were a real wizard'.

I'm happy enough to make my audience happy, to realise they liked my story, to feel their amazement grow (and my adrenalin rocket simultaniously), to take them away on a trip BUT to bring 'em back alive (call me Frank Buck) and safely let them proceed.
With a litte luck I will have given them something bigger than a mere trick.

xxx Morgaine
Actually if I could really read minds then all the stuff about zodiac signs, pin numbers, names and dates would pale into insignificance if you could understand peoples passions, hopes, fears and dreams. Imagine understanding them in such a deep way that you could help them Be and Grow. There are four words which could change the world - a question which if asked honestly with the intent to listen to the answer, would change the way we see each other and the things that stand in the way of human development - those words Tell Me Your Story .... If I could read minds maybe I'd know their story and could challenge them to become an active participant in their own evolving narrative ..... Too spiritual or philosophical ????

Ah well - so it's pin codes and zodiac signs ....

Alan
[quote]On Jun 23, 2014, AlJones wrote:
If I could read minds maybe I'd know their story and could challenge them to become an active participant in their own evolving narrative ..... Too spiritual or philosophical ????

Ah well - so it's pin codes and zodiac signs ....

Alan [/quote]

i think this kind of stuff is very noble, and obviously coming from a very kind place...however, for me personally - I feel its too much, we are entertainers, and though there are those amongst us who are trained therapists and counselors and so on - we have to remember we are not here to rescue anyone (again, just my view, and I give readings)...

though we have the potential to help people forget about their problems, and sometimes we might even enable them to see their problems in a different way - I do think its worthwhile to remember that not all mentalists are created equal...

and though we might crave (for our own complex personal reasons) to help and rescue others via what we do - I do wonder how many people consider WHY they do it, or rather, feel as though they are equipped and suited to do so...

its hard enough living your own life, let alone somehow help heal others...

and when you factor in our own biases and judgement calls - our solution to someone else's problem, may not be best for them....because our biases are not necessarily other people's biases...and therefore conflict and ill sustained outcomes are offered...

with that said - there is absolutely nothing holding anyone back from using presentations that concern passions, hopes, fears and dreams - they are great subject matter - but they also have to realise that how and why they conjour up those memories or thoughts, they have to tread carefully, because there is always the chance that you could unearth things that may be a bigger issue than that person is capable of handling...however, those subjects are potent, interesting and entertaining in equal measure if handled correctly...

just my view on it....
Thanks Iain great thoughts ....

"i think this kind of stuff is very noble, and obviously coming from a very kind place...however, for me personally - I feel its too much, we are entertainers,"

Totally accept this - I was answering the question set not as an entertainer per se - but as an idealist perhaps and wearing a therapists hat. True our own biases would be a risk in such an idealized world - but I maintain that the Tell Me Your Story attitude would change hearts and minds if we were to actively listen and not passively hear. (But again that's not an entertainer speaking).

In my words I did not intend to imply that 'we' (or I) provide solutions either - that's sometimes the problem I have with readers of my acquaintance. For me a reading is a dialogue which encourages the 'client' to explore perspectives and consider possibilities - and, yes again I know I'm not now speaking strictly as an entertainer.

Totally agree with you on the 'tread' with care if using dreams, passions, desires as a presentation frame. As mentalists we are often 'in peoples' heads and must tread with care and due diligence.

So I guess that echoes another of your questions the consideration or WHY some may seek to help others..... I think entertainers meed to question WHY they are drawn to this form of entertainment. Are their motives philosophical, emotional, theatrical, financial. Making a living out of other peoples thoughts is a but strange on the face of it.

Is there a meaning in what we seek to do beyond the time our audiences spend with us and if so what is it.

All the best

Alan