(Close Window)
Topic: First experience with Tarot. WOW!
Well. I have been a mentalist for a while....a long time and I never dabbled in Tarot. I viewed tarot readers as psychics. People who use the craft of mentalism/cold reading to say they know the future. Just pay fifty bucks and they will tell you what the future will hold. Again, I am a mentalist but I'm also a Baptist Pastor. Lol seriously

So the other weekend, I was hired to do a show in Sedona Arizona (beautiful place)....Also it seemed like the capital of new age stuff and tarot readings. I was hired for a corporate event and they paid for my wife to join me also.. IT was a great show with some great people and my wife and I got a great little vacation. While we were there I wanted to experience my first tarot reading. Obviously I was skeptical and just wanted to see if they were good at cold reading and see if I could learn some.

I must say I was nervous, I expected the person to tell me my future. I expected it to be cheesy, I expected it to be a big hoax.

Instead.....what I experienced was life changing. It was amazing.

When I set down with the reader and I told him what I do...Mentalist/pastor I expected him to be nervous. I expected a cringe in his face like I found him out, or that I knew the tricks of the trade or that I knew he was a fraud. Instead, it didn't bother him at all, almost didn't seem to care.

He began with an astrological tick sheet that was great....he then asked if I would mined him using the cards. I told him I didn't.

Then he used the cards,,,,,,,,(again I know nothing of tarot) and he made two rows after I shuffled them. He would turn one card over at a time....tell me its meaning and ask how it fit with me. I would rack my brain to think.....at first I didn't want to give him any information, I thought he should know it or tell me. Then something changed....i realized that was not the point.....he truly wanted to know what that card meant to me. I began to open up as he turned over more cards and he began to tell a story about my life. Ways I might need to change and over come addiction. We talked about my father and mother, about my childhood and then what my goals in life were.

Being a pastor, I know a little about counseling . I also have been to therapist.....and that's what this tarot reader was to me.....one of the best therapist I have ever been to. It was funny, he never claimed to be psychic...he said he hates that word. he just used the cards to help me open up, to help me understand myself better.

I walked away in aww. I expected a psychic reading. I expected a hoax....I didn't know I would experience one of the best counseling session in my life.

My friends, is that Tarot? If so, then it was beautiful.
It certainly can be!

it can be more, less or something else entirely..

glad you had a rewarding experience..
This is a great story. A little curious about one thing: do you know which deck was used? I'm assuming Rider-Waite-Smith
This is such a wonderful post! I strongly believe, that the thing we call as Tarot is real, wonderful and natural. It is really warming to see how your perception has changed, I believe there is a real magic that many people sadly refused to feel.

Jung once said, that he is afraid of modern science, that came into our world with materialism expansion, which refuses anything that cannot be examined by our five senses. There are milion of things our senses cannot feel! Jung was an exceptional man and I believe he was right.

Thank you
Ulrich
That was an example of Tarot when the Reader removes his own Ego from the experience.

When the Reader's Ego is foremost, you get CR, guessing, attempts at strong hits and 'WoW, How Did You Know That?' kind of stuff. Much weaker, and of little value to the querant. The tricks and stunts are for people who use Tarot as a magic trick, who can't actually read the Tarot.

I've always felt that a good indicator of the effectiveness of a Tarot reader can be determined by observing either the absence of Ego....or its pompous presence.

Congrats on a good eye-opening read.
What a great story, I have been reading the Tarot for 30 years and in all that time I have never claimed to be psychic or have any special powers. I explain that all I do is tell them what the cards mean to me. The purpose of the reading is to try and help the sitter with any problems they might have by helping them to see all the possibilities open to them.
I'm glad y'all enjoyed the story.
billy Arce-the reader did say it was a Rider deck....thats all I know.

After my reading...my wife enjoy it so much that she had one. She also had the same experience I me.
I remember visiting an esoteric bookshop in london, and the phone rang - the owner answered, and was obviously listening to someone trying to find out about having a reading and asking if the reading could tell if her partner was cheating on her...

the owner was patient and kind, and after a while of listening and offering sympathy to the caller's plight just said "look, a real tarot reading won't be able to give you what you are after, speak to your boyfriend and be open and honest about how you are feeling - tarot doesn't work in the way you want it to, and if things continue - then speak to your doctor and explore your options for referral to a mental health professional...thanks for calling and I really hope things improve for you...but no, you don't need a tarot reading..."

i'm obviously paraphrasing, but it was lovely to hear someone being so upfront and honest...
I enjoy this post a lot, it is simple yet inspiring for me.

To quote Enrique Enriquez: "Our aspiration should be to be useful for those who come to us, to let our querent leave us feeling empowered."
[quote]On Jun 26, 2014, piyuyu wrote:
I enjoy this post a lot, it is simple yet inspiring for me.

To quote Enrique Enriquez: "Our aspiration should be to be useful for those who come to us, to let our querent leave us feeling empowered." [/quote]

Wonderful :)
Beautiful!
Yeap, that's how it should be. Great story and obviously an excellent skilled reader. Thanks for sharing. In many ways it's quite inspirational to hear experience's like yours in these forums. I wonder what system, if any he used. Perhaps he just had a firm understanding of human nature mixed with years of experience. To me, there was nothing mystical about what he did, just pure skill in using a tool to bring out what ever it was that gave you a great and meaningful experience. Inspirational stuff.
Great story. Your experience was exhilarating to hear. I'm happy it worked out for you.

Ray
I'm a Skepitc and a mentalist and a Tarot reader. I've had many a good discussion here on The Café. Many people think that I contradict myself because I do Tarot and yet I am sceptical about the existence of psychics. Well, hopefully the OP will help explain this and bring clarification on how the two can sit comfortably together.

Derek
Read Enrique Enriquez and his approach to the Tarot
This.
I must have done thousands upon thousands of tarot readings since 1987. I believe 100% in it's power. There is no trickery used at all and this is the best way to approach it. The Tarot is REAL and works for logical scientific reasons. As for so called "cold reading" that is a very silly concept and should never be used in a reading. It borders on fraudulent practice and I cannot possibly approve.
Oh no. Not again.
[quote]On Jun 27, 2014, jeremymar wrote:
I must have done thousands upon thousands of tarot readings since 1987. I believe 100% in it's power. There is no trickery used at all and this is the best way to approach it. The Tarot is REAL and works for logical scientific reasons. As for so called "cold reading" that is a very silly concept and should never be used in a reading. It borders on fraudulent practice and I cannot possibly approve. [/quote]

Can you share with us these logical scientific reasons please?

If you are not using any reading system, does that mean you have powers?

Thanks
Ulrich
Of course I have powers. But then so does everybody. And no. I can't share it. Alas it would take too long and I am very old.
You are such a powerful man! Do you have your own religion already?

You seems to be interested in talking about yourself, can you finally tell us these "logical scientific reasons"?
Please don't!

i have read the cards and know how it ends...

it ends with another for a man who cant resist the Café, despite slating the place all the time!
No.
[quote]On Jun 27, 2014, Ulrich wrote:
You are such a powerful man! Do you have your own religion already?

You seems to be interested in talking about yourself, can you finally tell us these "logical scientific reasons"? [/quote]

No.
But yes. I do have my own church. Alas I think I am the only member.
And this was going so nice. Oh well!
Not my fault, old chap. I was merely dealing with the impertinence of a rude foreign gentleman and an even ruder former student of mine. Alas it is the burden of the teacher to have students who think they have overtaken the master. And please note that I was not the first one to offer rudeness. I was merely making an educational statement thus

"I must have done thousands upon thousands of tarot readings since 1987. I believe 100% in it's power. There is no trickery used at all and this is the best way to approach it. The Tarot is REAL and works for logical scientific reasons. As for so called "cold reading" that is a very silly concept and should never be used in a reading. It borders on fraudulent practice and I cannot possibly approve."

which is terribly polite but alas on making the statement, instead of the multitude recognising the great wisdom therof I was attacked without justification. I never attack anyone unless they attack me first so all that is required for proper decorum is for people to bow down respectfully in the manner to which I am accustomed and then everything will proceed in a perfectly civil manner.
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGI8YNa5f-M
Furthermore in response to the former student I must inform him that I have never "slated" the Café, merely a large percentage of the members who, alas have a lot to learn and even more alas are terribly rude and do not respect their elders. I have the uttermost respect for the moderators who have a terribly hard job. They are ***ed if they do and ***ed if they don't. And poor old Steve Brooks has a terrible amount of abuse heaped upon him online with very rude people calling him "Brookenfuehrer" and other awful insults. I have read somewhere or other that he has had hateful phone calls and other communications. And the poor moderators are insulted by name on all sorts of forums and magic sites. It must be quite trying for them. All they are doing is trying hard to keep the place in order and keep out the riff raff and banned members who keep coming back no matter what they do. I know one chap who has been returning for years and they can't keep the disgraceful fellow out no matter what they do. Which is a little surprising because the fellow in question is quite computer illiterate. I think the best solution is to give up and just let him be since he will be anyway and it will save them a lot of time and energy. After all, as the old saying goes, if you can't beat 'em then join 'em. And they obviously can't beat him since they have been trying since the Café opened.

See Iain. I obviously have the good of the magic Café at heart.
You won't believe what happens next.
Oh, I know perfectly well what will happen next but I will be back within the hour so there isn't much point. I may even complain about it on the See the Manager Section. I think that WILL be amusing! After all, what is the point of banning people if you are not much good at it?
Message: Posted by: The Forgotten One (Jun 28, 2014 08:18AM)
Wait, what happened to this topic? This started so beautiful.

Oh well.

First post was wonderful in this topic! It sound like that Tarot session went exactly how it should be. No trickery, no playing psychic or trying to get hits. Tarots are great tool for helping others and that is how people should see Tarots.

It is always interesting to see how different people in different country see things. Here people just know Tarot cards as their "original form" and they would be really p***ed if they would get something else than genuine reading.
Lets not forget what this topic was about...

[quote]On Jun 26, 2014, BlakeAdams wrote:
Well. I have been a mentalist for a while....a long time and I never dabbled in Tarot. I viewed tarot readers as psychics. People who use the craft of mentalism/cold reading to say they know the future. Just pay fifty bucks and they will tell you what the future will hold. Again, I am a mentalist but I'm also a Baptist Pastor. Lol seriously

So the other weekend, I was hired to do a show in Sedona Arizona (beautiful place)....Also it seemed like the capital of new age stuff and tarot readings. I was hired for a corporate event and they paid for my wife to join me also.. IT was a great show with some great people and my wife and I got a great little vacation. While we were there I wanted to experience my first tarot reading. Obviously I was skeptical and just wanted to see if they were good at cold reading and see if I could learn some.

I must say I was nervous, I expected the person to tell me my future. I expected it to be cheesy, I expected it to be a big hoax.

Instead.....what I experienced was life changing. It was amazing.

When I set down with the reader and I told him what I do...Mentalist/pastor I expected him to be nervous. I expected a cringe in his face like I found him out, or that I knew the tricks of the trade or that I knew he was a fraud. Instead, it didn't bother him at all, almost didn't seem to care.

He began with an astrological tick sheet that was great....he then asked if I would mined him using the cards. I told him I didn't.

Then he used the cards,,,,,,,,(again I know nothing of tarot) and he made two rows after I shuffled them. He would turn one card over at a time....tell me its meaning and ask how it fit with me. I would rack my brain to think.....at first I didn't want to give him any information, I thought he should know it or tell me. Then something changed....i realized that was not the point.....he truly wanted to know what that card meant to me. I began to open up as he turned over more cards and he began to tell a story about my life. Ways I might need to change and over come addiction. We talked about my father and mother, about my childhood and then what my goals in life were.

Being a pastor, I know a little about counseling . I also have been to therapist.....and that's what this tarot reader was to me.....one of the best therapist I have ever been to. It was funny, he never claimed to be psychic...he said he hates that word. he just used the cards to help me open up, to help me understand myself better.

I walked away in aww. I expected a psychic reading. I expected a hoax....I didn't know I would experience one of the best counseling session in my life.

My friends, is that Tarot? If so, then it was beautiful. [/quote]
I appreciate everyones comments.
Because of this experiences, I have been reading a lot of information about reading tarot. I began my journey with Kennton Knepper and the Complete Guide to the Tarot by Gray Eden. Im really enjoying it. What other material would y'all suggest?

Also, with the way the tarot was presented to me,i have no problem being a Christian doing tarot.....lol I'm actually a pastor. Am I missing something, should a pastor (lol baptist) not dabble in tarot? This might not be the place to talk about this, but I love yalls opinions.

I hope this does not stir up a hornets nest.
No chance of that here.

You might be advised to ask your flock their opinion. They'll tell you 'No.' It'll save you the embarassment of being thrown out of your church for dancing with the devil.
Lol very true.....i would get a no from them....but I'm curious what y'all think.
Interesting article
http://www.tarotwisdomreadings.com/FAQ/tarot-and-religion.html

personally speaking people shouldn't have a problem with the tarot, its certainly not occult or even mystical in my opinion...
Great Article, thanks Iain
[quote]On Jun 27, 2014, IAIN wrote:
Oh no. Not again. [/quote]
:)
OK. Let me tell you all a true story. This will be of particular interest to Blake I think. Pay attention class. I expect I am the only person here who does psychic readings full time. Years ago I used to do hotel readings. I would arrive in a town and advertise free seminars on psychic subjects. This was to sell private hour long sessions in the hotel the next day. One day I was surprised to see a nun in full religious habit. She sat very grim looking in the audience with her arms tightly folded. At the point where I opened the floor to questions she was quite aggresive in asking very sceptical questions about the wickedness of it all. I answered them in, of course my usual brilliant manner. However, she didn't look terribly convinced. Naturally she didn't book a reading the next day!

However, a couple of years later I went back to the same town and indeed the same hotel. I used to advertise in the local paper before I arrived at the town that I was returning and of course phone calls would come in booking appointments. One particular lady did just that. However, most people remove their coat when they arrive. She had a very large and long coat which she refused to remove. I thought this was odd but then realised that this was the very nun who had cross examined me so carefully a couple of year previousl. She had her full habit on underneath the overcoat and was obviously trying to hide it. But I recognised her nevertheless.

Now all readings are private and I cannot detail her issues here. I shall merely say that one of these issues was a conflict of spirituality. It was obvious that she came to me very reluctantly and even a little scared. I was therefore as gentle with her as I am with all my clients. First I read her palm which impressed her greatly. However, when I started to do the Tarot she became very apprehensive and finally she had to blurt out, "Is this evil?" I told her, "No Sister. I believe God sent you here to me today" And you know what? I believe he did.

There is a spiritual element in what I do. And yes a psychic one too. I pray for my clients, before the reading if I have time and I pray for them silently during the reading and they have no idea that I am doing it. However, I don't believe in God but I pray anyway. God knows why. And you can take that last sentence any way you like.

Now you may say, "How can you tell the woman that God sent her to you if you don't believe in God?" The answer is that I have no idea. I DO believe that God sent her but yet I don't believe he exists. Contradictory? Perhaps. I will let you figure it out. I haven't yet.
[quote]On Jun 28, 2014, IAIN wrote:
Interesting article
http://www.tarotwisdomreadings.com/FAQ/tarot-and-religion.html

personally speaking people shouldn't have a problem with the tarot, its certainly not occult or even mystical in my opinion... [/quote]

Great article Ian, thanks for posting it
Message: Posted by: The Forgotten One (Jun 29, 2014 04:59AM)
Can pastor read Tarot cards?
We can look this question from couple perspectives.

They are just playing cards (pieces of cardboard with pictures on them!) and if you use them as a tool to give some advice, what really is the problem? They are just cards with some explanations. Nothing satanic, or magical. Tarot cards are more psychological thing than anything else IMHO. From this perspective, I don't see any problems.

In the other hand, what Tarot cards really can give you? What you can do with Tarot cards what you cannot do without them? Do you really have to use them or can you achieve your goal without them? Or can you use something else instead of Tarot cards? (something what are maybe more acceptable in your community.)
Think what you can gain with the cards and what you can loose. If there is too big bet, don't gamble!

Other issues are that many people link Tarot cards with the new age and occult things. It might be hard to get people accepting them.
Top of that, they are device for card games/gambling... and many Christians don't accept any kind of cards at all. (Of course, do you really care what others are thinking about?)

Tarot cards can really work for pastor... It depend from many things. City where I'm living, you could easily be using Tarot cards in first Christian community and still be judged heavily in another one!
Thank you everyone for your thoughts. Y'all have given some great advice.
[quote]On Jun 28, 2014, BlakeAdams wrote: I appreciate everyones comments.
Because of this experiences, I have been reading a lot of information about reading tarot. I began my journey with Kennton Knepper and the Complete Guide to the Tarot by Gray Eden. Im really enjoying it. What other material would y'all suggest?

Also, with the way the tarot was presented to me,i have no problem being a Christian doing tarot.....lol I'm actually a pastor. Am I missing something, should a pastor (lol baptist) not dabble in tarot? This might not be the place to talk about this, but I love yalls opinions.

I hope this does not stir up a hornets nest. [/quote]

You claim to be a “Baptist” pastor.
You have a total stranger read some randomly selected cards.
You tell the stranger all about your life, from childhood.
The stranger, based on randomly selected cards, advises you about how you need to change to overcome addiction.
Based on what a stranger said about some cards, you had a “Life changing” experience.
You now claim that the stranger was “one of the best therapist” you’ve been to.
What’s wrong with this picture, Pastor?
Michael.....

Perhaps I'm not the type of Baptist pastor you think I should be. Im sorry I don't fit into your mold. He used the tarot as a tool to communicate to me. It was good advice that he gave. Good advice is good advice. sorry if my post upset u.
Thanks for sharing this story. When I use the cards for myself, I have found that I have use a deck that I can relate to. The imagery of the classic Rider deck never spoke to me, but once I found some decks that had art that appealed to me, the cards opened up to me. I have always viewed them as a kind of Rorschach test. The imagery on the card becomes an abstraction of a problem I am internalizing. At least, that is how I use them. I never "read" for others, though I have shared with friends my techniques for using the cards in this manner.
[quote]On Jun 29, 2014, BlakeAdams wrote:
Michael.....

Perhaps I'm not the type of Baptist pastor you think I should be. Im sorry I don't fit into your mold. He used the tarot as a tool to communicate to me. It was good advice that he gave. Good advice is good advice. sorry if my post upset u. [/quote]

My mold isn't the one you need to fit.
Why the aggression?
[quote]On Jun 29, 2014, IAIN wrote:
Why the aggression? [/quote]
Indeed. As the Black Eyed Peas once said, and I quote, "Where is the Love?"
Sorry to side-track things just a little but I have a question...

I have never understood the word 'system' when referring to Tarot. Perhaps someone can explain.

When I started learning to read Tarot cards. I read a few general books about the meanings of the cards and different spreads. As I grew, I became more intuitive. I began to rely more on the pictures and my instinct rather then the textbook meanings. It takes courage to go with your gut sometimes. I don't use general statements or 'Barnum' type statements but I do cold read. That is, I observe the person and, rightly or wrongly make a few mental guesses about them. I note things like their age and gender, how they are dressed, how they speak, how they say what they say, do they have a wedding ring etc. I only offer advice when it's asked and it's always with caution. I usually let the sitter come to their own conclusions.

That's how I do Tarot. How does this differ from a 'system' ??

Derek
A system would be any set of guidelines or rules that you apply when consulting the cards...

when I personally say "a system" - that's what I mean, so after you absorb them, they become second nature, and you might well not even recognise you are using a system at all - but you are...its become part of your reading instincts (made-up term) and combined with whatever else you personally believe is in play when giving a reading...

anything that you apply systematically and consistently when doing "whatever it is"...

i tend to not pay too much attention to how well someone is dressed, nor how they speak - as I know some very intelligent people, who happen to speak kinda roughly, don't dress all that well but are infinitely more smarter than some well dressed and well spoken people that I also know...but maybe that's my own personal bias kicking in...

the only thing with clothing that I tend to pay attention to, is that women (especially) once they are over a certain age, they tend to dress in the same time period that they were happiest in...same with hairstyles... its why I believe those ladies who get divorced and instantly dress like their daughters are very much in the "now", whereas women who are happily married tend not to...its just a mental quirk of mine...i'm sure I have many more...

so derek, in my opinion only, I believe you are still applying a system, but either its second nature and doesn't feel like one consciously - or you have a different term for it altogether...those rules might be strict, or they might be loose...i guess that whats people different types of reader too...

i think what might be interesting to do downstairs is, is to pull 3 cards from the major arcana, and then we all write up the reading we'd give using those three cards and compare/contrast...as well as explain what our internal process might be too...
Thanks Iain, I've seen so many ads for 'systems' but never bought into them. Especially the 'Learn to do readings in 10 minutes' malarkey. :goof:
It might just be a vernacular thing - I bet if you wrote up your thought processes in a bulleted list, that would be somewhat "instructional" and therefore, at heart, a system for someone else to look at and learn..

besides which, I am just using the term as I see it...not to be taken as gospel...

personally, I like a backbone to what I do, to give it consistency - and that's in part because even though we are individuals, we kinda experience and want the same kind of things, its just a varying degree dependent on bias and experience...
Hi there Blake.
I read with interest your post about your tarot experience.
And also your follow up questions about should you use tarot.

It seems to me that as much as it's about what you're happy with, it's also about what people would be happy to see you with.
I get the impression that some people may find you and tarot incongruent.

To that end I'd like you to take a look at this.
http://www.thoughtillusions.com/phopsypro.html

It's something I developed specifically for my own reluctance to use tarot

I'd be happy to send one to you free of charge.
See if it maybe would suit you better than tarot.

steve
Blake, Listen to Steve, his thinking is spot on and his products are high quality and beautifully made.
(Steve just send the commission to the usual address - thanks LOL)
Thanks Steve. I really appreciate that. its looks very interesting.
Blake
[quote]On Jul 1, 2014, Stephen Young wrote:
Hi there Blake.
I read with interest your post about your tarot experience.
And also your follow up questions about should you use tarot.

It seems to me that as much as it's about what you're happy with, it's also about what people would be happy to see you with.
I get the impression that some people may find you and tarot incongruent.

To that end I'd like you to take a look at this.
http://www.thoughtillusions.com/phopsypro.html

It's something I developed specifically for my own reluctance to use tarot

I'd be happy to send one to you free of charge.
See if it maybe would suit you better than tarot.

steve [/quote]

This look fantastic!
Beautiful story BlakeAdams!

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I too have had some memorable tarot times, from both sides of the spread. Read up on them and go for it! You'll know soon enough if you're comfortable with them. It always depends how deeply you wish to go. There are so many decks out there to choose from. You'll find them cute and cuddly to strange and serious.

Happy learning!

-Alex
Has anybody used/tried Innocence Cards by Charles Garner? Apparently this reading system was released Spring 2014, but I have not yet seen any reviews of Innocence Cards.

http://www.stevensmagic.com/shop/innocence-cards-by-charles-garner-2/

David
This thread made me pull out my tarot stuff again just to play with it. I don't believe in any type of occult things, so like some of you, the tarot is not an oracle for me. I like to just apply the symbols and stories to certain situations to make me think. However, the situations presented in the cards are pretty timeless and universal, and they can really make you think.

As a side note: I am going to vegas in a few days, and I focused on how the trip would go for me and my wife. I drew the following spread:

Justice The Emperor The Devil in that order. Still thinking on this one...

I drew these three for my wife in regards to the trip:
Queen of Pentacles 6 of Wands 5 of Pentacles...hmmm...My interpretation was that my wife has always been conservative with money and decision making with spending and this has led her to a life where she is universally lauded by her friends and family as being wise and giving with her resources. This is reputation is well earned, and it allows her to be able to go on this trip without worry. The third card represents our trip to vegas in that we should not feel our success or failure is based on winning a jackpot. We are likely to get the opposite, but the message is not to miss the relationship and bonding of our marriage we can have while on our trip together.

If I was using the tarot as an oracle, I would say it means we are both up the creek without a paddle while on the strip! :o)
Your conclusion is correct. You see, casino owners have read the cards as well and already know the inevitable result. :eek:
Yes, that little 1% edge in blackjack or craps is pretty gigantic over 365 days. Took me a while to realize that 49/51 is definitely not the same thing as 50/50.