(Close Window)
Topic: Art Vanderlay excerpt
Message: Posted by: Amirá (Jul 1, 2014 11:43AM)
The british guy who brought us "Positive Positive", "Star Readings" and other great works

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot2HHZyTalo



Amazing stuff my friend



Best
Message: Posted by: Mental_Mike (Jul 1, 2014 11:59AM)
Awesome!
Message: Posted by: Art Vanderlay (Jul 1, 2014 11:59AM)
Cheers Pablo!

It was an amazing experience to be able to demonstrate just one of the effects I perform and I was very honored to have been asked to give a Q&A for Full Circle Magic.

I had a blast doing it and Ben was a great host.

Kind regards
Art
Message: Posted by: Magic.Maddy (Jul 1, 2014 11:59AM)
Whoa. VERY impressive. Ben's reaction says it all. Makes me want to experience it!
Message: Posted by: NeilS (Jul 1, 2014 02:19PM)
That was utterly fantastic and such a joy to watch. Like Ben, I am incredulous. Well done Art.
Message: Posted by: Matt Chalk (Jul 1, 2014 02:21PM)
Simply incredible, amazing work :)
Message: Posted by: george1953 (Jul 1, 2014 04:16PM)
Truly amazing, just a shame we couldn't see the clouds and the name.
Message: Posted by: Matt Pulsar (Jul 1, 2014 04:56PM)
Fantastic reaction!
Message: Posted by: Alexxander (Jul 1, 2014 06:01PM)
Absolutely stunning.
I wish I witnessed this myself.
Great stuff.. this is what we as mentalists are meant to do.
Message: Posted by: Amirá (Jul 1, 2014 06:05PM)
Thanks to a new collaboration between Art and myself, we will carry only 10 "heart stones" which allows to create the necessary work of this amazing piece just for $999

;)


Best
Message: Posted by: C.J. (Jul 2, 2014 01:10AM)
[img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-06QU9u62aS0/UX5g8zt8UaI/AAAAAAAAAFA/L3Qa7w028ic/s1600/what-sorcery-is-this.jpg[/img]
Message: Posted by: Art Vanderlay (Jul 2, 2014 02:21AM)
Haha thanks for getting peoples hopes up Pablo but this I will be taking to my grave :)

Kind regards
Art
Message: Posted by: NeilS (Jul 2, 2014 06:31AM)
The solution for this is surely written in the clouds ;-)
Message: Posted by: jaizon (Jul 2, 2014 07:53AM)
I don't even know what to say. Speechless. Dumbfounded. Words fail. ***.

Preston
Message: Posted by: C.J. (Jul 5, 2014 02:08AM)
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Art Vanderlay wrote:
Haha thanks for getting peoples hopes up Pablo but this I will be taking to my grave :)

Kind regards
Art [/quote]

And lo, his epitaph didst read "Ben was in on it. Suckers!"
Message: Posted by: Art Vanderlay (Jul 5, 2014 05:26AM)
Just to clear a few things up as I have been getting PM's left, right & centre regarding the above clip:



1 - No I wont be releasing this. This is one of those effects I will be taking to my grave. Sorry.

2 - No, Ben was not "in on it". He knew I had something special planned for the Q&A but that's all.

3 - Yes the name was really spelled out in the clouds, no hypnosis or suggestion involved.

4 - No I will not perform this on you. Sorry but I save this effect for special occasions and to perform it everyday would ruin the exclusivity.

5 - No I will not answer any more questions trying to hint how it was done. Sorry.

6 - I perform this on the last day of my elemental manipulation weekend for the person who booked it. These only happen 4 times a year making the effect very exclusive and unique.



Hope this clears up any questions you may have before sending a PM :)

Thanks for all the interest, remember that sometimes things in life are best left a mystery.

Kind regards
Art
Message: Posted by: Stunninger (Jul 5, 2014 09:32AM)
[quote]On Jul 5, 2014, C.J. wrote:

And lo, his epitaph didst read "Ben was in on it. Suckers!" [/quote]

Clearly that was the case. No matter what anyone may say to the contrary. Ben's over-reaction was as believable as a spectator on a Criss Angel show...
Message: Posted by: C.J. (Jul 6, 2014 12:36AM)
[quote]On Jul 5, 2014skcalb wrote:
[quote]On Jul 5, 2014, C.J. wrote:

And lo, his epitaph didst read "Ben was in on it. Suckers!" [/quote]

Clearly that was the case. No matter what anyone may say to the contrary. Ben's over-reaction was as believable as a spectator on a Criss Angel show... [/quote]

On come on, let's be fair - if I suddenly divined the name of your cousin's girlfriend's first cat and then used sorcery to make that name appear in the sky over your house, don't you think you would overreact too?
Message: Posted by: Amirá (Jul 6, 2014 12:45AM)
I don't get why some guys are thinking about stooges. If you look carefully the video, you can see the clouds that Ben was watching


Best
Message: Posted by: Looch (Jul 6, 2014 03:33AM)
Amira... There's a time and a place for creating miracles, but that energy and focus should be on creating them for real audiences not trying to pull the proverbial wool over other performers eyes. Now unless Art paid for a plane to sky write the name above Bens house (which would work for special occasions apart from the plane being really loud) I find it quite disappointing to read that this is being passed off as genuine.
Message: Posted by: VIEW (Jul 6, 2014 03:47AM)
Guys. This is embarrassing.

Embarrassing for those trying to argue that it is real. Embarrassing for those that believe it. But, perhaps most embarrassing of all for those who think they can pull the wool over their colleagues eyes.
Message: Posted by: voh002 (Jul 6, 2014 05:02AM)
I agree. It was almost painful to watch. I think videos like this hurt more then they do any good for a creator such as Art.
Message: Posted by: Art Vanderlay (Jul 6, 2014 06:16AM)
I think some people need to book an elemental manipulation weekend and see for themselves just how real this is :-)

Loving the controversy though!

Kind regards
Art
Message: Posted by: NeilS (Jul 6, 2014 02:52PM)
I thoroughly enjoyed watching the performance.

And I have thoroughly enjoyed the books and ebooks I have by Art. In fact I performed an effect from one of them today - a lovely imaginary trip described in Planes Mistaken for Stars.

And I think what the debate on this thread shows is what a brilliant and creative chap Art is.

He knows how to perform, how to intrigue and entertain. And we should be thankful for the gems he has shared with the community and I also respect and understand that he wants to keep some of his creations to himself.

He is a name to watch.
Message: Posted by: Matt Chalk (Jul 6, 2014 04:06PM)
Over the past couple of months and weeks I've got to know Art fairly well, and we have talked to length about various concepts and ideas in mentalism (both mine and his).

Although I have never spoken to him in person (we seem to be playing Skype tag with one another) I can say with fair conviction that what you saw in the FCM Q&A was legitimate.

I am an FCM admin and Ben would have had no idea of the questions beforehand or what Art was going to perform. For him to fake something like this would be nearly impossible.

Art is a wonderful bloke and has helped me with many aspects of my performance and my creation, and I highly doubt that he would make an effort to fake something as incredible and as beautiful as the performance.
Message: Posted by: C.J. (Jul 7, 2014 12:49AM)
So it's witchcraft then? Burn him!!!

[Img]http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000432985/polls_monty_python_witch_701441_4054_88959_answer_5_xlarge.jpeg[/img]
Message: Posted by: Art Vanderlay (Jul 7, 2014 06:11AM)
Well I do weigh the same as a duck ;)

Kind regards
Art
Message: Posted by: Sean Giles (Jul 7, 2014 07:25AM)
Is this performers fooling other performers to create legends?
Message: Posted by: Art Vanderlay (Jul 7, 2014 08:01AM)
Not at all, this is something I perform on the last day of my Elemental Manipulation weekends. It's not my fault that others are unable to fathom how I accomplish it.

I performed this for Ben as part of the Q&A for The Hold Out. I was told it was meant to be a private video however the 8 min clip posted above has now been posted everywhere due to people freaking out over it. I only performed it for Ben because I believed it was a private video for members only and wanted something suitable to demonstrate the power of elemental manipulation and to show what is possible.

If anyone wants to believe it has to be set up and Ben was in on it then by all means, but remember that at one point we all must have thought that reading minds, predicting the future, revealing PIN codes, and bending metal objects was impossible.

I have been studying and performing Elemental Manipulation for many years now, it is something very unique and the effects created are nothing short of miracles. I will be making a DVD demonstrating and teaching some of these effects later on in the year hopefully as I would like to see more people doing this unique branch of magic.

People who know me know that I will go to ridiculous lengths to make any effect possible. The clip above is just one of the huge feats I perform using a very closely kept secret of mine.

If anyone would like to learn more about this kind of work there are a scattering of books on the subject and I also hold Elemental Manipulation training sessions where I teach you pretty much everything I know on the subject. In fact I am doing one in August at Ilkley Moor.

As I have mentioned before, if you doubt me, sign up for one of my Elemental Manipulation weekends, there you will see so much more than Cloud Sculpting!

Remember that NOTHING is impossible! If you start thinking like that then a whole new world will open up to you!

Kind regards
Art
Message: Posted by: voh002 (Jul 7, 2014 03:36PM)
[quote]On Jul 7, 2014, Art Vanderlay wrote:
Not at all, this is something I perform on the last day of my Elemental Manipulation weekends. It's not my fault that others are unable to fathom how I accomplish it.

I performed this for Ben as part of the Q&A for The Hold Out. I was told it was meant to be a private video however the 8 min clip posted above has now been posted everywhere due to people freaking out over it. I only performed it for Ben because I believed it was a private video for members only and wanted something suitable to demonstrate the power of elemental manipulation and to show what is possible.

If anyone wants to believe it has to be set up and Ben was in on it then by all means, but remember that at one point we all must have thought that reading minds, predicting the future, revealing PIN codes, and bending metal objects was impossible.

I have been studying and performing Elemental Manipulation for many years now, it is something very unique and the effects created are nothing short of miracles. I will be making a DVD demonstrating and teaching some of these effects later on in the year hopefully as I would like to see more people doing this unique branch of magic.

People who know me know that I will go to ridiculous lengths to make any effect possible. The clip above is just one of the huge feats I perform using a very closely kept secret of mine.

If anyone would like to learn more about this kind of work there are a scattering of books on the subject and I also hold Elemental Manipulation training sessions where I teach you pretty much everything I know on the subject. In fact I am doing one in August at Ilkley Moor.

As I have mentioned before, if you doubt me, sign up for one of my Elemental Manipulation weekends, there you will see so much more than Cloud Sculpting!

Remember that NOTHING is impossible! If you start thinking like that then a whole new world will open up to you!

Kind regards
Art [/quote]

After the Q&A for The Hold Output, they decided to put this video out on youtube without your permision? That is actually quite serious violations. You should take actions.

You said you will not give any hints on how this was done, and you will take this effect to the grave. But now you are saying you are working on a DVD on the subject. You are also having an seminar were you will teach everything you know about Elemental Manipulation, and the participants will teach much more then Cloud Sculpting. I hope you don`t mean "take it to the grave" literally...

[quote]On Jul 6, 2014, Amirá wrote:
I don't get why some guys are thinking about stooges. If you look carefully the video, you can see the clouds that Ben was watching


Best [/quote]

I don`t understand what you mean Amira? That you see some clouds on the sky, and that proves that this is real, or that you also see the actual name in the clouds? I just see some white sky, when he wawes the camera. If you also somehow see the name, that means the hole area should be able to see it too, and then Art would be a real wizard.
Message: Posted by: Art Vanderlay (Jul 8, 2014 05:04AM)
They asked if they could post an 8 min clip on the FCM page which I accepted as that is also a private group, the fact that it has gone viral so to speak is not what I intended but at the same time I am not too bothered about it. The main chunk of the Q&A regarding the methods I taught and the rules of performing Elemental Manipulation are still kept private on the original video and that's what is important.

The DVD will not include the Cloud Sculpting and neither does the Elemental Manipulation Training Sessions either - The DVD will cover about 6 - 8 different effects and the Sessions teach "pretty much everything" I know on the subject, I have to hold back a few nuggets of gold! haha.

I have 3 effects that I will never explain and will take to my grave, this is just one of them.

(To answer your question to Pablo, everyone living near Ben would have seen the name in the clouds that day too)

Kind regards
Art
Message: Posted by: Ben_cardall (Jul 8, 2014 05:52AM)
Guys I think pits time I weighed in here. Art and I spoke before hand but it was about my ne e-pipe I bought and what flavors I should buy. The interview goes on as normal and I figured I could catch the ****** out. If he anticipated this by whatever means then kudos or if its something he can set up or whatever I don't care. All I know is I experienced a moment and the first one I have experienced for many years, where something wasn't just a puzzle that I could work out. I thought of a name that I did not tell him about, and then I saw that name in the clouds!! I don't care who or how or why, all I know is it was amazing!!!
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Jul 8, 2014 07:07AM)
Good luck to Art I say...i hope he uses it to book well paying shows!
Message: Posted by: MatCult (Jul 8, 2014 08:17AM)
"I shall not commit the fashionable stupidity of regarding everything I cannot explain as a fraud." - C.G.Jung
Message: Posted by: Martin Pulman (Jul 8, 2014 08:40AM)
I really don't understand why people think this is a put up job. The chaps reaction seems pretty realistic to me. The piece feels like the sort of thing Berglas would have pulled off in his prime. Art is clearly prepared to go the extra mile to provide true astonishment. Not sure if the clouds element pulls us away from mentalism into the magic field, though.
Message: Posted by: kannon (Jul 8, 2014 09:13AM)
While the stooge element I won't comment on, I see a feasible, "low-cost" (in comparison to hiring a plane) on days with very speific weather conditions and a 3 person crew method for this. Would be too much work for me and a significant degree of background work for the situation. Judging by PMFS Art would probably go that extra extra mile.

Either way I was very engaged by this video.
Message: Posted by: brehaut (Jul 8, 2014 09:15AM)
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Art Vanderlay wrote:
Haha thanks for getting peoples hopes up Pablo but this I will be taking to my grave :)

Kind regards
Art [/quote]

Where sir will you be buried?
Message: Posted by: voh002 (Jul 8, 2014 09:45AM)
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, Art Vanderlay wrote:

(To answer your question to Pablo, everyone living near Ben would have seen the name in the clouds that day too)

Kind regards
Art [/quote]

I don`t even want to start on that one.

The strange thing is that you can show almost anything here at penny, and many will belive it, support it, and some try to make money on it. It should be the exact opposite. I see all people here at penny as fellow colleagues, and deliberately try to fool a colleague for selling stuff, in this case Elemental Manipulation, on a false premise comes under the expression "how low can you go", in my eyes.

Well, I rest my case. Must use my energi on something else :-)
Message: Posted by: Stunninger (Jul 8, 2014 02:14PM)
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, voh002 wrote:
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, Art Vanderlay wrote:

(To answer your question to Pablo, everyone living near Ben would have seen the name in the clouds that day too)

Kind regards
Art [/quote]

I don`t even want to start on that one.

The strange thing is that you can show almost anything here at penny, and many will belive it, support it, and some try to make money on it. It should be the exact opposite. I see all people here at penny as fellow colleagues, and deliberately try to fool a colleague for selling stuff, in this case Elemental Manipulation, on a false premise comes under the expression "how low can you go", in my eyes.

Well, I rest my case. Must use my energi on something else :-) [/quote]

"How low can you go" indeed.

If the claimed effect were real then the creator could and should demonstrate it for those who have credibility here on the Café.

Think about it, guys. Any two blokes with web cams and Skype can do exactly what's shown on the video, which isn't much. Even the acting is bad.

To make a tall claim then shy away from proving it is...a cop out.

I've never heard of Art before this thread, but have made a mental note never to purchase anything from him.

Some people seem to think any form of attention is good for business, even if it's controversial. That may be true in some cases. But it stops being true if people think you are trying to pull the wool over their eyes and as a result no longer trust you.
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Jul 8, 2014 02:22PM)
He's not selling it...
Message: Posted by: Stephen Young (Jul 8, 2014 02:29PM)
It seems some people have decided (on nothing at all but a gut feeling) that they are being hoodwinked.

Let's get this straight, nothing is being offered for sale.
No one is being asked to invest anything, financially or intellectually
Art has no responsibility to satisfy the whinging and/or feelings of incredulity of anyone.

I've met Art.
As far as I can tell he is a nice guy.
A straight talking guy.
And generous.

I have read plenty of his work.
Although some of it doesn't suit my persona, that doesn't reduce it's quality.

I've no idea how/if he can sculpt clouds
and because I don't know I won't start calling him a fraud just because I am not privy to the details.

If you don't believe the clip is genuine, OK
But there's no need for comments like "How low can you go" until you are asked to invest something in the effect which demands your acceptance of it being genuine.

steve
Message: Posted by: Stunninger (Jul 8, 2014 02:33PM)
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, IAIN wrote:
He's not selling it... [/quote]

Right. Not selling this claimed cloud writing effect. Only trying to convince (sell us) that he actually produced the effect claimed...but not actually substantiating that tall claim.

...of course he is selling other things...
Message: Posted by: brehaut (Jul 8, 2014 02:40PM)
Over the years I have witnessed certain effects that I swore had to be a stooge. It had to be because I could not comprehend a way to do it. Over time I have learned the method to some of the effects. There was no stooge. Just some incredible thinking. Often the method was going to way more trouble than I could imagine someone would ever go to in order to create an effect. I have performed effects where I was told "so and so was in on it". They were not. How do you refute it? Do you reveal the method? Of course not.

I have no idea how Art performed his effect. But just because I don't know, I am not going to be reduced to simply saying it had to be a stooge.
Message: Posted by: Stunninger (Jul 8, 2014 02:50PM)
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, brehaut wrote:
Over the years I have witnessed certain effects that I swore had to be a stooge. It had to be because I could not comprehend a way to do it. Over time I have learned the method to some of the effects. There was no stooge. Just some incredible thinking. Often the method was going to way more trouble than I could imagine someone would ever go to in order to create an effect. I have performed effects where I was told "so and so was in on it". They were not. How do you refute it? Do you reveal the method? Of course not.

I have no idea how Art performed his effect. But just because I don't know, I am not going to be reduced to simply saying it had to be a stooge. [/quote]

Rather obviously you do not reveal the method...but you also don't shy away from challenges to perform the effect. So far only one person has experienced the alleged effect. That would be Ben on the video.

Was Ben a stooge?

At this point I would venture to say, probably.

But what if Ben was not a stooge? What if his brilliant performance was real? And he really did see a name in the clouds?

If Art had / has the ability to produce such a miracle, then why not demonstrate it with others...who have credibility as mentalists here on the Café...like Looch, for example?

Or some of the other well known, and highly respected individuals such as Richard Osterlind, Banacheck or Bob Cassidy?

Certainly they could validate the claims and give Art massive amounts of great PR.

Without even having to know how he did it.

Without revealing anything.
Message: Posted by: Stephen Young (Jul 8, 2014 03:00PM)
Why should Art be turned into a performing monkey to satisfy people on here?
Maybe he had a team of 200 people to pull this off.
it doesn't matter.

He has pointed out he didn't arrange for this clip to be made public
He has said he won 't share it.
Either believe it, or don't. but don't start shouting that he owes anybody a performance on demand.

steve
Message: Posted by: brehaut (Jul 8, 2014 03:05PM)
Enotskcalb

I can think of a million reasons why he would not perform just because someone says "jump". I have sold an effect called PIN ATTACK. It allows me to instantly tell someone with no pumping their PIN CODE to their alarm system. I don't see them push in the code. I don't ask them any questions. I just announce it. One problem---I can't do it all the time. It has limitations. In fact, when I marketed it, I said very clearly you may only do this once a year. Keep in mind--no one sees you ever fail. You simply do it or you don't. When I do perform it, it is a reputation maker.

So in PIN ATTACK I can't do it whenever someone asks, it has to be the right situation, and when it happens---I can't just repeat it. Do I use a Stooge? NO. But under your test, you would say probably. By the way, it is for sale so I could prove it doesn't use a stooge for anyone who purchases it.
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Jul 8, 2014 03:05PM)
Or, replicate Art's effect with a stooge and post it up to compare facial expressions and so forth?
Message: Posted by: Stunninger (Jul 8, 2014 03:08PM)
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, Stephen Young wrote:
It seems some people have decided (on nothing at all but a gut feeling) that they are being hoodwinked.

Let's get this straight, nothing is being offered for sale.
No one is being asked to invest anything, financially or intellectually
Art has no responsibility to satisfy the whinging and/or feelings of incredulity of anyone.

I've met Art.
As far as I can tell he is a nice guy.
A straight talking guy.
And generous.

I have read plenty of his work.
Although some of it doesn't suit my persona, that doesn't reduce it's quality.

I've no idea how/if he can sculpt clouds
and because I don't know I won't start calling him a fraud just because I am not privy to the details.

If you don't believe the clip is genuine, OK
But there's no need for comments like "How low can you go" until you are asked to invest something in the effect which demands your acceptance of it being genuine.

steve [/quote]


No. It's more than a gut feeling.

We have been led to believe that an effect was produced - a quite miraculous effect, at that, without so much as a shred of evidence that the supposed effect even took place. For example, we were never shown the name in the clouds...only led to believe the name was there.

The creator of the apparent miracle has said he will not repeat the effect for those who challenge him, nor will he ever reveal the method.

Doesn't pass the smell test.
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Jul 8, 2014 03:13PM)
So lets follow your logic, he sells a course or three, they are then disappointed and harsh reviews pop up...Art's reputation is ruined and he never sells anything again because of it...is it, as a creator, worth that risk for say £150?

i gave nearly 50 free mini readings via email and pm when I first put something out, and its knackering and difficult to say no without appearing an arse or making excuses...
Message: Posted by: Stunninger (Jul 8, 2014 03:16PM)
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, brehaut wrote:
Enotskcalb

I can think of a million reasons why he would not perform just because someone says "jump". I have sold an effect called PIN ATTACK. It allows me to instantly tell someone with no pumping their PIN CODE to their alarm system. I don't see them push in the code. I don't ask them any questions. I just announce it. One problem---I can't do it all the time. It has limitations. In fact, when I marketed it, I said very clearly you may only do this once a year. Keep in mind--no one sees you ever fail. You simply do it or you don't. When I do perform it, it is a reputation maker.

So in PIN ATTACK I can't do it whenever someone asks, it has to be the right situation, and when it happens---I can't just repeat it. Do I use a Stooge? NO. But under your test, you would say probably. By the way, it is for sale so I could prove it doesn't use a stooge for anyone who purchases it. [/quote]

Those are fair points. I do my own version of your PIN ATTACK, quite possibly with the same method (without knowing anything about yours). And as you say, it only works when the circumstances are just right.

Back to this thread...from what I've seen from the video shown, I think it's nothing more than two guys trying to pull one over. There's just nothing believable about it.

I could be wrong. I'd love to see Art demonstrate the effect for some of the big names.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 8, 2014 03:18PM)
What difference does it make? He's not selling it.

Dunninger once claimed to be able to make a battleship invisible. As far as I know he never offered the effect for sale and no one every criticized him for it.
Message: Posted by: voh002 (Jul 8, 2014 03:18PM)
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, Stephen Young wrote:
It seems some people have decided (on nothing at all but a gut feeling) that they are being hoodwinked.

Let's get this straight, nothing is being offered for sale.
No one is being asked to invest anything, financially or intellectually
Art has no responsibility to satisfy the whinging and/or feelings of incredulity of anyone.

I've met Art.
As far as I can tell he is a nice guy.
A straight talking guy.
And generous.

I have read plenty of his work.
Although some of it doesn't suit my persona, that doesn't reduce it's quality.

I've no idea how/if he can sculpt clouds
and because I don't know I won't start calling him a fraud just because I am not privy to the details.

If you don't believe the clip is genuine, OK
But there's no need for comments like "How low can you go" until you are asked to invest something in the effect which demands your acceptance of it being genuine.

steve [/quote]

[quote]On Jul 7, 2014, Art Vanderlay wrote:

I have been studying and performing Elemental Manipulation for many years now, it is something very unique and the effects created are nothing short of miracles. I will be making a DVD demonstrating and teaching some of these effects later on in the year hopefully as I would like to see more people doing this unique branch of magic.

If anyone would like to learn more about this kind of work there are a scattering of books on the subject and I also hold Elemental Manipulation training sessions where I teach you pretty much everything I know on the subject. In fact I am doing one in August at Ilkley Moor.

Kind regards
Art [/quote]

Since you probably didn`t see this Stephen, you must look at this post from Art.

He suddenly promote a DVD on the subject and a training session, were he will teach everything regarding the subject.

Well, maybe it is all a coincident that this clip was "accidently leaked" just before...

I respect SO many people here (including you Steve), and there are many good ideas to be shared and good products to buy from creators. But we also sometimes have to stand up to people who is obviously trying to deceive us, even if they are our friends.

I normaly don`t react on things that are posted here, but this crossed a limit that made me emotional provoked. Even the first reaction, when the name were reveald with the heartstone I immediately saw it was acting, actually very bad acting. And then the name was in the clouds and it just went from bad to worse. Now it has turned out to be ridiculous, with the DVD, the leak on youtube, and that the hole village could have seen the name in the clouds and more.

Art should say he was sorry for this, and not be remembered for this act.
Message: Posted by: Stunninger (Jul 8, 2014 03:20PM)
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, IAIN wrote:
So lets follow your logic, he sells a course or three, they are then disappointed and harsh reviews pop up...Art's reputation is ruined and he never sells anything again because of it...is it, as a creator, worth that risk for say £150?

i gave nearly 50 free mini readings via email and pm when I first put something out, and its knackering and difficult to say no without appearing an arse or making excuses... [/quote]


No, that's not my logic at all.

Art's already said he is not selling this method...rather 'taking it to his grave.'
So there's no risk of bad reviews because he's not selling the method in the video...only using it to generate attention, controversy, lots of posts from people debating back and forth...with hopes of selling other things he offers.
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Jul 8, 2014 03:25PM)
If its a wind up, good on 'em!
Message: Posted by: Stunninger (Jul 8, 2014 03:31PM)
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, voh002 wrote:
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, Stephen Young wrote:
It seems some people have decided (on nothing at all but a gut feeling) that they are being hoodwinked.

Let's get this straight, nothing is being offered for sale.
No one is being asked to invest anything, financially or intellectually
Art has no responsibility to satisfy the whinging and/or feelings of incredulity of anyone.

I've met Art.
As far as I can tell he is a nice guy.
A straight talking guy.
And generous.

I have read plenty of his work.
Although some of it doesn't suit my persona, that doesn't reduce it's quality.

I've no idea how/if he can sculpt clouds
and because I don't know I won't start calling him a fraud just because I am not privy to the details.

If you don't believe the clip is genuine, OK
But there's no need for comments like "How low can you go" until you are asked to invest something in the effect which demands your acceptance of it being genuine.

steve [/quote]

[quote]On Jul 7, 2014, Art Vanderlay wrote:

I have been studying and performing Elemental Manipulation for many years now, it is something very unique and the effects created are nothing short of miracles. I will be making a DVD demonstrating and teaching some of these effects later on in the year hopefully as I would like to see more people doing this unique branch of magic.

If anyone would like to learn more about this kind of work there are a scattering of books on the subject and I also hold Elemental Manipulation training sessions where I teach you pretty much everything I know on the subject. In fact I am doing one in August at Ilkley Moor.

Kind regards
Art [/quote]

Since you probably didn`t see this Stephen, you must look at this post from Art.

He suddenly promote a DVD on the subject and a training session, were he will teach everything regarding the subject.

Well, maybe it is all a coincident that this clip was "accidently leaked" just before...

I respect SO many people here (including you Steve), and there are many good ideas to be shared and good products to buy from creators. But we also sometimes have to stand up to people who is obviously trying to deceive us, even if they are our friends.

I normaly don`t react on things that are posted here, but this crossed a limit that made me emotional provoked. Even the first reaction, when the name were reveald with the heartstone I immediately saw it was acting, actually very bad acting. And then the name was in the clouds and it just went from bad to worse. Now it has turned out to be ridiculous, with the DVD, the leak on youtube, and that the hole village could have seen the name in the clouds and more.

Art should say he was sorry for this, and not be remembered for this act. [/quote]

Agreed fully.
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Jul 8, 2014 03:53PM)
Ok, I will admit this... if it genuinely happened, then I would expect at least a couple of other people seeing it too, and quite possibly taking a pic of it, posting it to social media...i probably would have... but, just because there's a "maybe" - it doesn't make it a fact...

there would be all kinds of variables...

to play's devil's advocate, here's a question..."since when is st**ging NOT a viable option in what we do?"...

if the outcome for the audience is one of wonder, than by any means necessary, surely?
Message: Posted by: Stephen Young (Jul 8, 2014 04:01PM)
As this type of effect doesn't really suit me it doesn't really affect me either way.
I know that Art is prepared to go to much greater lengths to set up a pay-off than I am.
If there is a way to do this then I'm sure that Art is the type who wouldn't baulk at an extreme amount of work, should it be necessary.

I don't see many "IF this is fake then it's bad form"
I just see people saying they've decided it IS fake and thus Art is a cad and a bounder.

Only Art and Ben know the facts
Until, if ever, I know facts about an effect then I give creators the benefit of the doubt.

steve
Message: Posted by: Davit Sicseek (Jul 8, 2014 04:23PM)
Presumably this qualified as elemental manipulation and "Art" is selling these elemental manipulation weekends and DVD. The video is obviously part of a marketing campaign, as is the name Art Vanderly itself. To pretend otherwise is just rather silly.

Is it stooged? Don't know - but I think it very likely. I can't take an empassioned defence of the effect's plausibility from any third party seriously. Those that have been around can think of the likely 'solutions', they lead overwhelmingly to stooge or alternatives that would make the effect as percieved here overwhelmingly underwhelming.

It does of course reflect very poorly on young Art; as it does on those that are in this thread leaping to his defence. Of course, what goes around comes around and I believe I read Art giving the full weight of his belief to Peter Turners (honest it wasn't a set-up) PIN guess during the Penguin lecture in another thread.

It's really all quite embarassing.
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Jul 8, 2014 04:32PM)
Https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBBzrHXu1Fg
Message: Posted by: Stephen Young (Jul 8, 2014 05:04PM)
I think there is a difference between "an empassioned defence" and "I don't KNOW it's stooged, so I won't assume it is until proven otherwise"
Message: Posted by: Davit Sicseek (Jul 8, 2014 05:05PM)
Well when you put it like that ;)
Message: Posted by: Martin Pulman (Jul 8, 2014 05:44PM)
Art may well have used a stooge but it certainly isn't the only- nor the most likely- method. I can think of several methods to create this effect-some straightforward, some elaborate in the extreme. One thing's for sure-however he did it, he's got people talking. The same way they used to talk about Geller. Take it to the grave Art. The seed of doubt will kill them!
Message: Posted by: C.J. (Jul 8, 2014 09:22PM)
Why are we still arguing about this? Can't we all just accept that Art made a blood pact with the devil in return for power over nature, with the caveat that he's never allowed to speak of the deal? It's all pretty obvious when you think about it! :kewl:
Message: Posted by: Stunninger (Jul 8, 2014 10:05PM)
Http://s1299.photobucket.com/user/Thought_Reader/media/CloudText_zps366071ed.png.html
Message: Posted by: Stunninger (Jul 8, 2014 10:08PM)
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, Davit Sicseek wrote:
Presumably this qualified as elemental manipulation and "Art" is selling these elemental manipulation weekends and DVD. The video is obviously part of a marketing campaign, as is the name Art Vanderly itself. To pretend otherwise is just rather silly.

Is it stooged? Don't know - but I think it very likely. I can't take an empassioned defence of the effect's plausibility from any third party seriously. Those that have been around can think of the likely 'solutions', they lead overwhelmingly to stooge or alternatives that would make the effect as percieved here overwhelmingly underwhelming.

It does of course reflect very poorly on young Art; as it does on those that are in this thread leaping to his defence. Of course, what goes around comes around and I believe I read Art giving the full weight of his belief to Peter Turners (honest it wasn't a set-up) PIN guess during the Penguin lecture in another thread.

It's really all quite embarassing. [/quote]

Embarrassing indeed.
Message: Posted by: Stunninger (Jul 8, 2014 10:16PM)
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
What difference does it make? He's not selling it.

Dunninger once claimed to be able to make a battleship invisible. As far as I know he never offered the effect for sale and no one every criticized him for it. [/quote]

That was before social media, the Internet and forums. If Dunninger were alive today, and made a similar claim, you can be *** sure people would be talking - and criticizing him, IF he could not substantiate the claim.

I knew Joe Dunninger. Joe Dunninger was a friend of mine. And let me tell you something, Art is no Joe Dunninger.
Message: Posted by: Magic.Maddy (Jul 8, 2014 11:44PM)
I propose a challenge!

Art Vanderlay, you simply need to tell me how you did it and I will inform everyone that it is a true method!

XP Kidding, of course. I don't know if this is stooged or not, but I know Art is a really stand up guy and I also know that people often limit their effects because they limit their methods. Art just doesn't limit himself.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 9, 2014 12:36AM)
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, Enotskcalb wrote:
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
What difference does it make? He's not selling it.

Dunninger once claimed to be able to make a battleship invisible. As far as I know he never offered the effect for sale and no one every criticized him for it. [/quote]

That was before social media, the Internet and forums. If Dunninger were alive today, and made a similar claim, you can be *** sure people would be talking - and criticizing him, IF he could not substantiate the claim.

I knew Joe Dunninger. Joe Dunninger was a friend of mine. And let me tell you something, Art is no Joe Dunninger. [/quote]

Actually, Dunninger was relentlessly attacked and exposed by magicians during his career- notably by Richard Himber. And he was challenged about the battleship thing- but long after the challenges were forgotten, the claim was remembered.

Whether or not Art is Dunninger is beside the point. (But nice allusion to Lloyd Bentsen's famous retort to Dan Quale in their vice-presidential debate, in which he said, "I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. And you're no Jack Kennedy.")

Besides, there is a very old optical illusion that most of you have probably seen in a different form, that would allow you to do something very close to Art's effect. Am not going to engage in exposure here, but let me assure you that it CAN be done without stooges. (Not saying that Art does it this way or not- just that it is quite possible and not at all impractical.)

BTW, did you ever hear Kreskin describe in his show how he once linked dozens of borrowed finger rings together so they formed a chain that spanned the stage? Have you criticized him for not substantiating the claim?

Did you ever hear of a thing called "showman's license?"
Message: Posted by: sandsjr (Jul 9, 2014 01:02AM)
[quote]On Jul 9, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
But nice allusion to Lloyd Bentsen's famous retort to Dan Quale in their vice-presidential debate, in which he said, "I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. And you're no Jack Kennedy.")
[/quote]
I knew that had a familiar ring to it. I was beginning to think we had the original Yrrah Enotskcalb haunting us.

By the way Enotskalb, every time I see that name I have a mental-micro-seizure. Don't ask me why. :-)
Message: Posted by: Art Vanderlay (Jul 9, 2014 01:46AM)
Ok guys how about this:

Even though I am not selling anything, did not "leak" the video or use this to promote anything, it seems like a few of you want me to become a performing monkey and demonstrate it to you for free. Well that's not going to happen. The next time I will be performing this is during my next elemental manipulation weekend at the start of August and they are not filmed.

I will, however, allow you all to nominate someone of trust, like Bob Cassidy, Richard Osterlind, anyone who I do not know personally. I will explain my methods to them on the basis that they do not reveal it anywhere. They will then post here that my method is real, does not use stooges and names can indeed be spelled out in the clouds.

Sound fair?

If you still want to stamp your feet then as I have mentioned before, book an elemental manipulation weekend and witnesses it for yourself.

There are many ways to do this, others have posted ideas of their own that do not require stooges, some outright explained the methods they have in mind whilst others just hinted. Let me just say the method is not original to me and can be found in the literature that we read however the presentation and information obtaining is original to me.

Kind regards
Art
Message: Posted by: Martin Pulman (Jul 9, 2014 01:57AM)
[quote]On Jul 9, 2014, Art Vanderlay wrote:


I will, however, allow you all to nominate someone of trust, like Bob Cassidy, Richard Osterlind, anyone who I do not know personally. I will explain my methods to them on the basis that they do not reveal it anywhere. They will then post here that my method is real, does not use stooges and names can indeed be spelled out in the clouds.

[/quote]

Sounds more than fair.

I nominate you reveal the method to Martin Pulman. He has always seemed fair and objective in his comments and would be the only logical choice.

Yours,
Martin Pulman.
Message: Posted by: DutchFrank (Jul 9, 2014 02:10AM)
@ART:
Why should you reveal anything?
It's your effect, and you don't have to prove anything to anyone!!

People don't believe you? So what?
Your credibility and carrier is not depending on two or three people that don't believe you.

They won't buy anything you have to offer?
Great,makes your stuff even more exclusive when not everybody is buying!

I, for one, enjoyed the video (and I don't even WANT to know how you did it).

Regards,

Frank
Message: Posted by: Stephen Young (Jul 9, 2014 02:27AM)
I wouldn't go to the trouble Art.

Even if you did get verification from someone that everybody believed 100%, those who have shouted SCAM (even though it is just their opinion)
won't be rushing on here to apologise.

!@#$ 'em. Don't dance to their tune.
You know if it's real or not.
As long as lay audiences buy it then that's enough


steve
Message: Posted by: ♠Sylar♠ (Jul 9, 2014 02:43AM)
Don't do it Art, as you said, you are not a performing monkey that does this for free. If people want to see it they should hire you like everyone else. Now I want you to make clouds look like the star destroyer, how much ?

Sylar
Message: Posted by: rasp (Jul 9, 2014 02:55AM)
Have to agree...... DON'T DO IT ART!!!

Rasp.
Message: Posted by: brehaut (Jul 9, 2014 07:07AM)
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, Enotskcalb wrote:
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
What difference does it make? He's not selling it.

Dunninger once claimed to be able to make a battleship invisible. As far as I know he never offered the effect for sale and no one every criticized him for it. [/quote]

That was before social media, the Internet and forums. If Dunninger were alive today, and made a similar claim, you can be *** sure people would be talking - and criticizing him, IF he could not substantiate the claim.

I knew Joe Dunninger. Joe Dunninger was a friend of mine. And let me tell you something, Art is no Joe Dunninger. [/quote]


Next thing you know someone will claim to be able to make the Statue of Liberty disappear or walk through the Great Wall of China.....
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 9, 2014 10:46AM)
What is the world coming to????
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 9, 2014 10:51AM)
[quote]On Jul 9, 2014, Stephen Young wrote:
I wouldn't go to the trouble Art.

Even if you did get verification from someone that everybody believed 100%, those who have shouted SCAM (even though it is just their opinion)
won't be rushing on here to apologise.



steve [/quote]

I agree, Art. If I were to verify that your effect works as described without stooges, those who don't believe it would simply not believe me either. (Trust me, it's happened before.)

But I did test the method I alluded to earlier and can say that it does work. How deceptive it would be on a long term basis- given a participant's ability to reflect back on what happened- I can't say.
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Jul 9, 2014 10:51AM)
A sense of entitlement without justification?
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 9, 2014 10:53AM)
Sorry Iain for interrupting the flow there!
Message: Posted by: Art Vanderlay (Jul 9, 2014 10:56AM)
Fair enough - No proof will be provided.

I would love to have a chat with you Bob regarding our methods.

Kind regards
Art
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 9, 2014 11:02AM)
Will PM you, Art.
Message: Posted by: Scott Soloff (Jul 9, 2014 11:25AM)
:)

I have come to the conclusion that critical thinking should be a required course in all schools. (In case this lacks clarity, I'm referring to those criticizing Art. "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits.")

It is also my belief that fathers should teach their sons how to behave as gentlemen and adults.

Posts here and elsewhere reveal that only a handful behave and act as mature adults. Everyone else seems to have stunted their emotional and mental growth somewhere in high school.

Best wishes to all,


Scott
p.s. Rereading my post makes me think it too harsh and judgmental. Apologies in advance... Simply couldn't resist!
p.p.s. This has been edited several times. Can't bring myself to water it down any more than this.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 9, 2014 11:29AM)
Just had a brief conversation with Art. Our methods are quite different, but, for what it's worth, neither involve stooges. (Not that I expect the doubters to believe me.)
Message: Posted by: Martin Pulman (Jul 9, 2014 11:49AM)
[quote]On Jul 9, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:

But I did test the method I alluded to earlier and can say that it does work. How deceptive it would be on a long term basis- given a participant's ability to reflect back on what happened- I can't say. [/quote]

I tested my method earlier, but it's not going well. The cotton wool balls keep falling off the window.

Will you PM me too, Art?
Message: Posted by: Art Vanderlay (Jul 9, 2014 11:57AM)
Sorry Martin, Bob was a one off as we were sharing realistic methods! haha

Your post made me spit out my drink though!

Bob definitely gave me some food for thought :)

Kind regards
Art
Message: Posted by: sandsjr (Jul 9, 2014 12:24PM)
Would that "food" be marshmallows by chance?
Message: Posted by: Art Vanderlay (Jul 9, 2014 12:30PM)
Candy floss ;)

Kind regards
Art
Message: Posted by: sandsjr (Jul 9, 2014 01:30PM)
That's why he's Bob Cassidy. :-)
Message: Posted by: Jerome Finley (Jul 9, 2014 01:31PM)
Art's clip notwithstanding, this effect is nowhere near impossible to re-create; it can be done quite easily and effectively in person without stooges, PS or DR. I do things exactly like this on a regular basis, NOT over Skype, but live and in-person. I don't think Art is yanking your chains when he speaks to this effects' realness and practicality in his own work.

Knows "a thing or two" about clouds,
JF.

P.S. It's really good to see you again, Davit! :)
Message: Posted by: insight (Jul 9, 2014 01:38PM)
Actually, he's Bob Freakin' Cassidy! :-)

Regards,
Mike

[quote]On Jul 9, 2014, sandsjr wrote:
That's why he's Bob Cassidy. :-) [/quote]
Message: Posted by: insight (Jul 9, 2014 02:21PM)
Bob, can you PM me? I have a question for you. Thanks!

Regards,
Mike

[quote]On Jul 9, 2014, insight wrote:
Actually, he's Bob Freakin' Cassidy! :-)

Regards,
Mike

[quote]On Jul 9, 2014, sandsjr wrote:
That's why he's Bob Cassidy. :-) [/quote] [/quote]
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 9, 2014 02:39PM)
Ok
Message: Posted by: Davit Sicseek (Jul 9, 2014 02:54PM)
What can I say Jerome, I'm back for one last swing in the jungle ;)
Message: Posted by: dmoses (Jul 9, 2014 03:10PM)
Screw the method... I'm just pleased to see a new effect.

I'm also thrilled to see Davit back.
Message: Posted by: Scott Soloff (Jul 9, 2014 03:17PM)
[quote]On Jul 9, 2014, dmoses wrote:
Screw the method... I'm just pleased to see a new effect.
[/quote]



:)
Message: Posted by: Stunninger (Jul 9, 2014 07:14PM)
After reading today's posts and reflecting on them, in particular Bob Cassidy's, I apologize to Art Vanderlay for jumping to conclusions and making the apparent erroneous assumption that a stooge was used.

I was wrong, and admit it.
Message: Posted by: Stunninger (Jul 9, 2014 07:19PM)
[quote]On Jul 9, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Just had a brief conversation with Art. Our methods are quite different, but, for what it's worth, neither involve stooges. (Not that I expect the doubters to believe me.) [/quote]

I do believe you. Thank you for validating no stooges were used. Obviously you did not have to, and I'm quite sure others will say you should not have. But you do have massive credibility and I appreciate the fact that you did.

Sincerely sorry for jumping to the wrong conclusion.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 9, 2014 07:28PM)
No problem Enotskalb. I was a bit skeptical when I first heard the effect. But after thinking about it for a while, it dawned on me that there were a least a couple of ways the effect could be accomplished without a stooge. And sometimes that's the best way to come up with new ideas. Decide on something that, on its face, seems completely impossible from both a technical and audience point of view- and then figure out how to do it (or appear to do it) anyway.

The solutions might not always be practical or cost effective, but there usually will be solutions. And every once in a while you'll find one that's practical.(Just as you'll find many more that are not.)


Good thoughts,

Bob
Message: Posted by: Art Vanderlay (Jul 10, 2014 12:18AM)
No apologies needed.

My line of thinking is that nothing is impossible, there is always a way to achieve something no matter how insane it seems.

I also go to ridiculous lengths to make certain effects work, in my opinion the method is not important, it's the experience given to the spectators that is important.

Kind regards
Art
Message: Posted by: Harris0n (Jul 10, 2014 06:39AM)
Art is a young Doc Shiels, no two ways about it. He's tinkering with the elements for doG's sake! Great to see the doubters put in their place by Cassidy. Beautiful.
Message: Posted by: NeilS (Jul 10, 2014 08:02AM)
Reading between the lines - or should it be clouds? - I have thought of one way this could be done but however Art achieved it, he deserves to be applauded. And he has also kept us nicely entertained.

Neil
Message: Posted by: Art Vanderlay (Jul 10, 2014 08:11AM)
A young Doc Doc Sheils? Now that's a compliment!! Speaking of which, I will be visiting Austria next week trying to capture the lake monster I took a photo of last year on video :)

Thank you Neil, regardless of whether people believed me or not this has been an entertaining thread and something different. Maybe I should post a video of myself causing a river to flow backwards :)

Kind regards
Art
Message: Posted by: Craig Logan (Jul 10, 2014 08:40AM)
Doesn't matter, the river is probably a stooge anyway.
Message: Posted by: NeilS (Jul 10, 2014 08:53AM)
Art, I'll be going to Austria shortly after you - if I see any messages in the sky I will know you have been at work again :-)
Message: Posted by: Looch (Jul 10, 2014 09:21AM)
[quote]On Jul 10, 2014, Harris0n wrote:
Art is a young Doc Shiels, no two ways about it. He's tinkering with the elements for doG's sake! Great to see the doubters put in their place by Cassidy. Beautiful. [/quote]

I don't see anywhere where doubters have been 'put in their place' mate...

There's several ways in which to achieve this and I suggested one in my previous post. Bobs Been given a method and he accepts Arts explanation. I on the other hand, don't and believe he did this to generate attention and create controversy and attention. I've certainly helped him get this ;)
Message: Posted by: Art Vanderlay (Jul 10, 2014 10:21AM)
Or maybe the aliens did it and I'm being controlled by them!!

;)

Kind regards
Art
Message: Posted by: Martin Pulman (Jul 10, 2014 10:49AM)
[quote]On Jul 10, 2014, looch wrote:
I don't see anywhere where doubters have been 'put in their place' mate...
There's several ways in which to achieve this and I suggested one in my previous post. Bobs Been given a method and he accepts Arts explanation. I on the other hand, don't and believe he did this to generate attention and create controversy and attention. I've certainly helped him get this ;) [/quote]

What!!! A mentalist creating controversy and attention! How dare they!!!

They should stick to selling their secrets to the general public instead of teasing us with effects they have no intention of releasing.
Message: Posted by: edwardsausagefingers (Jul 11, 2014 05:25AM)
Martin, If you're lucky I might release my method for writing a thought-of name in the snow.

FWIW Art, I really enjoyed the video. Well done! Have no desire to purchase the effect or goad you into spilling the beans.
Message: Posted by: Joe Atmore (Jul 23, 2014 11:45PM)
Just as a fun aside: Bob mentions Dunninger's method for causing a battleship to disappear. He did demonstrate it on a small scale for the Navy. Bob is also correct in that it wasn't for sale. Why? He GAVE the method to Naval development (can't recall the exact org). This lead to the rumor that Dunninger was connected with the Philadelphia Experiment.
Message: Posted by: Art Vanderlay (Aug 12, 2014 09:24AM)
This might please a few of you... Obviously there will be some who scream blue murder and claim this was my intention all along but hey ho!

I have been working for 7 months now as a self employed psychic entertainer. Whilst it has been very fun and worthwhile it has not brought in the amount of funds I need to support myself and my daughter. I have therefore reluctantly decided to take on a "real" job doing part time hours to fill in the gaps in performances.

This means that I can no longer perform some of my more elaborate effects as much as I would like to and have decided to start releasing some of my more "special" effects I hold close to my heart. Cicatriz ESP being one of them.

A lot, and I mean a LOT, of people have been begging me for the secret to this effect and I am considering releasing it as a limited release.

It will not be a fancy looking book but merely a short ebook explaining the bare bones method on how I achieved the result for Ben and how it can be done for others. No scripting or fluffy language, just the essentials to make this work.

I have not made up my mind yet as I do still perform this, it just wont be as often as I like anymore.

Just putting the feelers out there to see who might be interested on here.

Kind regards
Art
Message: Posted by: C.J. (Aug 13, 2014 08:23AM)
If finances to support your family are the motivation, then take a page from the Brookings Book - putting effort into the production of your manuscript (writing, editing, design and printing), means you can rightfully charge more for it, and it will be a treasured item. Release it as "barebones" ebook and it will be pi**ed upon by the cashed-up masses. If this effect is what you claim it to be, then treat it with the respect it deserves. And equally, treat the community of buyers with respect. It is okay to desire money, particularly in order to support a family, but it comes across as tacky to say "I'm going to just chuck an ebook together to make some easy cash because I don't want to work a dead-end part time job".
Message: Posted by: Martin Pulman (Aug 13, 2014 10:37AM)
[quote]On Aug 13, 2014, C.J. wrote:
If finances to support your family are the motivation, then take a page from the Brookings Book - putting effort into the production of your manuscript (writing, editing, design and printing), means you can rightfully charge more for it, and it will be a treasured item. Release it as "barebones" ebook and it will be pi**ed upon by the cashed-up masses. If this effect is what you claim it to be, then treat it with the respect it deserves. And equally, treat the community of buyers with respect. It is okay to desire money, particularly in order to support a family, but it comes across as tacky to say "I'm going to just chuck an ebook together to make some easy cash because I don't want to work a dead-end part time job". [/quote]

Tacky? I don't think finding a way to help support your family is tacky in any form.

I have been impressed with a lot of Art's thinking over the last couple of years and would certainly be interested in an ebook of the above effect. I would be even more interested in an ebook or real book compilation of the Best of Art Vanderlay!

Either way, I wish him luck with it.
Message: Posted by: Zipposrsa (Aug 13, 2014 05:09PM)
Ust putting the feelers out there to see who might be interested on here.

Kind regards
Art

You will have many interested people, I know I am one!!
Message: Posted by: IAIN (Aug 13, 2014 05:49PM)
If this is foolproof, and works as well as it did on the vid - then surely this would be used to get some great bookings out of it? I mean, if you did weddings (i know that's not in keeping with an elementalist) - then this would be pretty much the ultimate thing for anyone to do...imagine having the entire group look up into the sky and see "love" or "eternity" appear in the clouds...

hope things work out for you - and you have lots of happy customers...
Message: Posted by: RedDevil (Aug 13, 2014 06:02PM)
I heart Art...(in a brotherly fashion)
Message: Posted by: Banachek (Aug 31, 2014 03:33PM)
NIce work Art... Bob.. there was one person who criticised Dunninger for the battleship.. His future wife :-) Years ago I met her and asked some questions. ONe was about who they met. Well they met in an antique shop. She had bought some glasses but did not know how she would get them home. Dunninger overheard and offered his services (a car), she mentioned she had not had lunch yet and he offered to take her out. After a week or two of dating she suspected he was a con man, to her "DUnninger could have been Smunninger", she was not aware of his status as the second best well known voice on radio. He told her about his "invisible battleship." She suspected it was all a put on. "Dunninger was always dressed nice, had a car and looked like he had money, I suspected he was a con man, he was going to take me down to the docks, point out into the water, say that his invisible battleship was there, I would see nothing and he would ask me to invest. I figured I would let his father known he was a con man when I met him." She also told me when they met the first thing he did was tell her the name of her dog, Blue. When asked how she thought he did it, she said maybe he read her lips.

Anyway, Art.. nice work. Always great when people think you are using stooges to accomplish things, people think on Criss Angel's show MindFreak we used stooges to accomplish things. At first it bugged the hell out of me, later I saw it as a compliment that they did no know how things were done. Sad our own craft always assumes that and then tells the lay people that is how magic on TV was accomplished, but that is another story. Again, great work.
Message: Posted by: Banachek (Sep 4, 2014 11:10AM)
By the way, Orson Wells also did a version of this trick.. he talks about it in this interview... http://www.wildabouthoudini.com/2013/04/orson-welles-remembers-houdini.html