(Close Window)
Topic: Poor USA.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jul 1, 2014 05:00PM)
Out in the round of 16.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 1, 2014 05:22PM)
IT ain't over yet, Danny. We just scored.
Message: Posted by: balducci (Jul 1, 2014 05:28PM)
"No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time. "

- Ann Coulter

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-06-25.html

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/the-anti-football-ann-coulter-responds-to-liberal-hissy-fits-over-world-cup-column-on-fox-news/

LOL.

:)
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 1, 2014 05:31PM)
Proving once again that Ann Coulter is a xenophobic idiot.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 1, 2014 05:34PM)
Oh well. At least we had some last minute excitement.

I'm proud of the US team but now I will honor my promise to my German friend, Marcus Beldig, at the PEA convention a few days ago. Since we are out of it--

Go Germany!
Message: Posted by: tommy (Jul 1, 2014 05:41PM)
Wonderful! One the best games I have ever seen. Hard luck boys.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 1, 2014 05:47PM)
It was a great game indeed.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Jul 1, 2014 06:05PM)
[quote]On Jul 1, 2014, balducci wrote:
"No American whose great-grandfather was born here is watching soccer. One can only hope that, in addition to learning English, these new Americans will drop their soccer fetish with time. "

- Ann Coulter

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2014-06-25.html

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/the-anti-football-ann-coulter-responds-to-liberal-hissy-fits-over-world-cup-column-on-fox-news/

LOL.

:) [/quote]

Don't quit your day job to sell advertising during a soccer telecast for the four years in between World Cups.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 1, 2014 06:09PM)
It seems to me that the popularity of soccer in the US has gone up considerably over the last two decades. All of the schools here have soccer teams with good followings and the Seattle Sounders have LOTS of fans.

Don't know about you but I'm looking forward to watching the remaining games in the World Cup and then going back to rooting for the Sounders.

Do you ever watch LA Galaxy play?
Message: Posted by: tomsk192 (Jul 1, 2014 06:15PM)
Superb effort by the USA, well done lads. I wish England had even half the positivity displayed by the Yanks. A performance to be proud of.

And, by the way, accept no mockery from other nations at calling it 'Soccer'. I am thoroughly English, and in old fashioned, posh circles, Soccer is perfectly acceptable, as opposed to 'Football', which might be confused for 'Rugby Football', which is its proper name. Rugby [football] is the game you are all aspiring to play, when you run about with helmets on. :goof:
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Jul 1, 2014 06:19PM)
No, actually I dislike soccer, but will watch a bit during World Cup, because it's a fairly slow sports time. Ann Coulter's Xenophobia notwithstanding, I think there's a causal relationship (not the sole cause, mind you) between the rise of immigration from countries where soccer is more popular and the rise in popularity of soccer in America.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Jul 1, 2014 06:20PM)
[quote]On Jul 1, 2014, tomsk192 wrote:
Superb effort by the USA, well done lads. I wish England had even half the positivity displayed by the Yanks. A performance to be proud of.

And, by the way, accept no mockery from other nations at calling it 'Soccer'. I am thoroughly English, and in old fashioned, posh circles, Soccer is perfectly acceptable, as opposed to 'Football', which might be confused for 'Rugby Football', which is its proper name. Rugby [football] is the game you are all aspiring to play, when you run about with helmets on. :goof: [/quote]

IIRC, the term "soccer" originated in England.
Message: Posted by: tomsk192 (Jul 1, 2014 06:22PM)
Yes indeed! I went to a very smart school, where we played Soccer. Football was considered to be a term used by oiks. I did leave school prematurely, however, as I don't much like that sort of thing. But yes, it is indeed an old fashioned English name for football.
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Jul 1, 2014 06:36PM)
[quote]On Jul 1, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
No, actually I dislike soccer, but will watch a bit during World Cup, because it's a fairly slow sports time. Ann Coulter's Xenophobia notwithstanding, I think there's a causal relationship (not the sole cause, mind you) between the rise of immigration from countries where soccer is more popular and the rise in popularity of soccer in America. [/quote]
Of course there is.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 1, 2014 06:38PM)
Yes. Immigrants have brought us a lot of good things. People often forget that.

(But I think Native Americans would disagree with me.)
Message: Posted by: Payne (Jul 1, 2014 06:40PM)
Hugh Laurie is already claiming the USA's loss is punishment from god over the Hobby Lobby decision. :)
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jul 1, 2014 06:49PM)
Leave it to an idiot. Nice Hugh.

I think the rise in popularity is in direct proportion to immigration. Cool.

Soccer functions much the same way basketball does. No need for tons of equipment. Just a field and 20 or so or less friends and one ball between you. Soccer is a direct outcropping of poor countries needing sports outlets. Same with basketball. This is why it is worldwide popular. Where as baseball is Americas passtime, and I love it, soccer it can be argued is the worlds passtime.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Jul 1, 2014 06:55PM)
Absolutely electrifying. The final 10 minutes of American resourcefulness and Belgian nervousness made for stunning play. Great stuff!
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 1, 2014 06:56PM)
Where did golf originate? How about automobile and horse racing? And don't forget those Greeks who brought us the original Olympic sports.

Baseball is very similar to English Rounders. And if you think about it, innumerable sports brought to us by immigrants include the idea of having two goals on opposite sides of a playing area where you have to score, by putting into your goal, a ball, puck or a human head. The latter was used sometimes in lacrosse,which was being played in this country before most of us even immigrated here ourselves.
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Jul 1, 2014 09:55PM)
[quote]On Jul 1, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Proving once again that Ann Coulter is a xenophobic idiot. [/quote]

As if that needed proving.
Message: Posted by: Shy (Jul 1, 2014 11:05PM)
I congratulate USA, belgium (spelling ?) is pretty good team this year.

Btw, Germany vs France will be a really good one, looks like France is coming pretty strong, and Germany...well, we all know Germany !

Im going Germany this year, but I would not be surprised if france beats germany.

Colombia vs Brazil will be pretty exiting, I really want to see what Colombia is able to do !.

Im going for Colombia in this specific match.

Anyway, every match is going to be good.
Message: Posted by: Devious (Jul 1, 2014 11:12PM)
The Worlde Cup lacks credibility without Mexico present.
It's akin to The NFL Playoffs without the beloved
Dallas Cowboys, 'America's Team'.
Message: Posted by: imgic (Jul 1, 2014 11:47PM)
What of you call a group of 60 millionaires watching the superbowl on TV?

The Dallas Cowboys.

Back to OP: exciting stuff...and will now be cheering Germany!
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Jul 2, 2014 12:05AM)
[quote]On Jul 1, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Yes. Immigrants have brought us a lot of good things. [/quote]

Plus, they brought us soccer, too!
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 2, 2014 12:13AM)
Good one, Lobo.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 2, 2014 12:15AM)
[quote]On Jul 1, 2014, Devious wrote:
The Worlde Cup lacks credibility without Mexico present.
It's akin to The NFL Playoffs without the beloved
Dallas Cowboys, 'America's Team'. [/quote]

Only Texans think the Cowboys are "America's Team." (Unless they're Houston fans.)

The new America's team plays in Seattle!
Message: Posted by: critter (Jul 2, 2014 12:37AM)
The Sudanese refugees in our neighborhood play soccer in the street quite often. They're really good at it. Now I want to watch Shaolin Soccer...
Message: Posted by: Pecan_Creek (Jul 2, 2014 04:31AM)
[quote]On Jul 1, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Leave it to an idiot. Nice Hugh.

I think the rise in popularity is in direct proportion to immigration. Cool.

Soccer functions much the same way basketball does. No need for tons of equipment. Just a field and 20 or so or less friends and one ball between you. Soccer is a direct outcropping of poor countries needing sports outlets. Same with basketball. This is why it is worldwide popular. Where as baseball is Americas passtime, and I love it, soccer it can be argued is the worlds passtime. [/quote]


Why could it not be god's punishment? Are only Pat Robertson and you allowed to make this designation?

Immigration from the poor countries that soccer is played in like-- England, Germany , France, The Netherlands, etc…

Oh, and it's "pastime" not "passtime". You actually had to override the spell check to submit that.
I'm not sure where I heard it before but…
"Leave it to an idiot, Nice Danny"
Message: Posted by: magicfish (Jul 2, 2014 04:36AM)
No disrespect to Tim Howard, who played one of the best games ever played by a keeper in a world cup, but the Belgian finishing was poor.
Message: Posted by: imgic (Jul 2, 2014 07:09AM)
[quote]On Jul 1, 2014, critter wrote:
Now I want to watch Shaolin Soccer... [/quote]

Great Movie!
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jul 2, 2014 07:44AM)
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Pecan_Creek wrote:
[quote]On Jul 1, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Leave it to an idiot. Nice Hugh.

I think the rise in popularity is in direct proportion to immigration. Cool.

Soccer functions much the same way basketball does. No need for tons of equipment. Just a field and 20 or so or less friends and one ball between you. Soccer is a direct outcropping of poor countries needing sports outlets. Same with basketball. This is why it is worldwide popular. Where as baseball is Americas passtime, and I love it, soccer it can be argued is the worlds passtime. [/quote]


Why could it not be god's punishment? Are only Pat Robertson and you allowed to make this designation?

Immigration from the poor countries that soccer is played in like-- England, Germany , France, The Netherlands, etc…

Oh, and it's "pastime" not "passtime". You actually had to override the spell check to submit that.
I'm not sure where I heard it before but…
"Leave it to an idiot, Nice Danny" [/quote]

Really? Spelling? Seriously? Passes for wit in your part of the world huh? Clever I must say.

And thank you for proving my point. When ANYONE says it is God punishing someone in some way they are an idiot. Admittedly in your example a bit more because he is serious.

Now while you're at it show m a single post I have ever made that indicates or even hints that I think God punishes anyone for anything. Take a break from being the spelling monitor and pretending that makes you clever in some way and show me where I even implied it.
Message: Posted by: Pecan_Creek (Jul 2, 2014 10:11AM)
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:

I think God punishes anyone for anything. . [/quote]

...There ya go.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Jul 2, 2014 10:31AM)
LOL!
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jul 2, 2014 10:33AM)
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Pecan_Creek wrote:
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:

I think God punishes anyone for anything. . [/quote]

...There ya go. [/quote]

At least you stopped using spellchecker for wit. Now you had to resort to outright fabrication.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Jul 2, 2014 10:34AM)
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Pecan_Creek wrote:
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:

I think God punishes anyone for anything. . [/quote]

...There ya go. [/quote]

At least you stopped using spellchecker for wit. Now you had to resort to outright fabrication. [/quote]

'Cmon Danny, that was funny!
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Jul 2, 2014 11:14AM)
Not really.

As far as our standing in the World Cup. I'm impressed that we got in, and I'm impressed that we lasted as long as we did. "Poor USA" would be if we were kicked out in the first round of games.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jul 2, 2014 11:20AM)
Yea I didn't think so either.

I just meant they list a game they easily could have won. They didn't blow it. It just went the other way. Not a comment on them at all. Quite the contrary.
Message: Posted by: Pecan_Creek (Jul 8, 2014 02:23PM)
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Pecan_Creek wrote:
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:

I think God punishes anyone for anything. . [/quote]

...There ya go. [/quote]

At least you stopped using spellchecker for wit. Now you had to resort to outright fabrication. [/quote]

No fabrication at all, You asked to quote you , that is a direct quote and it it does at the very least, hint that you think god punishes.

Fabrication is not the word you were looking for perhaps? But we have peviously shown your lack of willingness to pick up a dictionary, so I'll let it go this once.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jul 8, 2014 05:43PM)
It shows no such thing. It shows your willingness to misquote and misrepresent. Nothing more.
Message: Posted by: stoneunhinged (Jul 8, 2014 05:48PM)
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, Pecan_Creek wrote:
...so I'll let it go this once. [/quote]

Watch out, Danny!

If he ever decides not to let it go, then scary things might happen.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jul 9, 2014 02:59AM)
Yea who knows you are right.
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Jul 9, 2014 04:29AM)
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, Pecan_Creek wrote:
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Pecan_Creek wrote:
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:

I think God punishes anyone for anything. . [/quote]

...There ya go. [/quote]

At least you stopped using spellchecker for wit. Now you had to resort to outright fabrication. [/quote]

No fabrication at all, You asked to quote you , that is a direct quote and it it does at the very least, hint that you think god punishes.

Fabrication is not the word you were looking for perhaps? But we have peviously shown your lack of willingness to pick up a dictionary, so I'll let it go this once. [/quote]

Nah, I'm with Danny on this one. You took a PIECE of a sentence and presented it as if it were the entire thought.
Message: Posted by: rockwall (Jul 9, 2014 02:16PM)
Hey, at least we only got beat by 1 by Germany!
Message: Posted by: imgic (Jul 9, 2014 10:28PM)
Read an article that Brazil's embarrassing defeat to Germany May cause the Brazil president to lose this fall's election.
Message: Posted by: Pecan_Creek (Jul 10, 2014 04:13AM)
[quote]On Jul 9, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, Pecan_Creek wrote:
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Pecan_Creek wrote:
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:

I think God punishes anyone for anything. . [/quote]

...There ya go. [/quote]

At least you stopped using spellchecker for wit. Now you had to resort to outright fabrication. [/quote]

No fabrication at all, You asked to quote you , that is a direct quote and it it does at the very least, hint that you think god punishes.

Fabrication is not the word you were looking for perhaps? But we have peviously shown your lack of willingness to pick up a dictionary, so I'll let it go this once. [/quote]

Nah, I'm with Danny on this one. You took a PIECE of a sentence and presented it as if it were the entire thought. [/quote]

I didn't know we were voting. Hey danny don't stop walking too quick Ed's nose might end up buried in your keister.
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Jul 10, 2014 05:17AM)
Oh I'm sorry, am I only allowed to agree with "acceptable" posters?
Message: Posted by: tommy (Jul 10, 2014 05:51AM)
I thought the USA played magnificently. The USA is a big country and so I think they will find some top players in the future, if it becomes popular over there, which ought to on that performance.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Jul 10, 2014 08:00AM)
USA has been getting progressively stronger over the past 10-15 years. They are now a high-level team and, IMO, are not far behind the half-dozen-or-so elite nations.

Have any Europeans or South Americans on the board watched the MLS? It's clearly not a top league, but is the quality getting close to the 2nd or 3rd leagues in the heartland?
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jul 10, 2014 11:41PM)
[quote]On Jul 10, 2014, Pecan_Creek wrote:
[quote]On Jul 9, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:
[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, Pecan_Creek wrote:
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Pecan_Creek wrote:
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:

I think God punishes anyone for anything. . [/quote]

...There ya go. [/quote]

At least you stopped using spellchecker for wit. Now you had to resort to outright fabrication. [/quote]

No fabrication at all, You asked to quote you , that is a direct quote and it it does at the very least, hint that you think god punishes.

Fabrication is not the word you were looking for perhaps? But we have peviously shown your lack of willingness to pick up a dictionary, so I'll let it go this once. [/quote]

Nah, I'm with Danny on this one. You took a PIECE of a sentence and presented it as if it were the entire thought. [/quote]

I didn't know we were voting. Hey danny don't stop walking too quick Ed's nose might end up buried in your keister. [/quote]

You should go back to using spellchecker for wit. It seems at least closer to funny.

Keep going though it is bound to get funny eventually.
Message: Posted by: Pecan_Creek (Jul 11, 2014 05:26AM)
[quote]On Jul 11, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:


You should go back to using spellchecker for wit. It seems at least closer to funny.

Keep going though it is bound to get funny eventually. [/quote]


Oh, I see, you are under the mistaken impression that I post for your entertainment while all this time I have only been concerned with my own. You should really try to look inside yourself and summon the will power to be more empathetic to those around you.
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Jul 11, 2014 11:14AM)
I agree with both Tommy and Magnus! I think we did very well and in time we're going to win that thing. (Now, will that drive Ann Coulter crazy or, once we're winners at it, will she suddenly jump on the bandwagon?)
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Jul 11, 2014 11:37AM)
Probably neither.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jul 11, 2014 12:10PM)
Do you mean drive her "more crazy"?
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 11, 2014 12:21PM)
Everything Coulter does is designed to promote Coulter and keep her in the spotlight. I seriously doubt that she really cares about the soccer issue one way or the other. So I agree with Lobo, as far as her real beliefs go. But, publicly, I'm sure she'd react in a calculated xenophobic way to maintain her appeal with her followers.

She and Rush would make a perfect couple.
Message: Posted by: Magnus Eisengrim (Jul 11, 2014 12:50PM)
[quote]On Jul 11, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Everything Coulter does is designed to promote Coulter and keep her in the spotlight. I seriously doubt that she really cares about the soccer issue one way or the other. So I agree with Lobo, as far as her real beliefs go. But, publicly, I'm sure she'd react in a calculated xenophobic way to maintain her appeal with her followers.

She and Rush would make a perfect couple. [/quote]

The funny thing about Coulter is that she is so transparent, and yet still gets the protests and subsequent media attention. It's remarkable, really.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Jul 11, 2014 02:14PM)
Her reaction would be, "We even beat the rest of the world at their own stupid game that we don't care about."
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 11, 2014 02:20PM)
You're probably right. It would be that or something close to it. In any event it would be some combination of chauvinism and xenophobia.
Message: Posted by: S2000magician (Jul 11, 2014 03:15PM)
[quote]On Jul 11, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
You're probably right. It would be that or something close to it. In any event it would be some combination of chauvinism and xenophobia.[/quote]
Xenophauvinism?
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 11, 2014 05:39PM)
Now if we could just mix "jingoism" into that...

How about Xenojingophauvinism?
Message: Posted by: S2000magician (Jul 11, 2014 06:42PM)
[quote]On Jul 11, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Now if we could just mix "jingoism" into that...

How about Xenojingophauvinism?[/quote]
Do dah, do dah!
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jul 11, 2014 09:06PM)
She intentionally provokes for money. People know this and still allow her to do so. I agree it is amazing.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 11, 2014 09:13PM)
What's always puzzled me is the way she fawns over and flirts with Bill Maher whenever she's a guest on his show.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jul 12, 2014 12:27PM)
[quote]On Jul 11, 2014, Pecan_Creek wrote:
[quote]On Jul 11, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:

Pp
You should go back to using spellchecker for wit. It seems at least closer to funny.

Keep going though it is bound to get funny eventually. [/quote]


Oh, I see, you are under the mistaken impression that I post for your entertainment while all this time I have only been concerned with my own. You should really try to look inside yourself and summon the will power to be more empathetic to those around you. [/quote]

So for your own narcissistic amusement you misrepresent what others say in order to simply attack them. Then I am supposed to feel empathy for you while you do it. Got it. How could I have missed something so simple?

At least I didn't have to re word anything or misrepresent what you wrote to get to what you really mean. Best part is you do it from behind an alias. Gotta love the internet.
Message: Posted by: Pecan_Creek (Jul 13, 2014 10:17AM)
[quote]On Jul 12, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:


At least I re word everything to misrepresent what you wrote to get to what you really mean. Gotta love the internet. [/quote]


Yup, gotta love it!
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jul 13, 2014 11:41AM)
Fantastic. Now you have proven you are simply not worth even talking with.
Message: Posted by: Pecan_Creek (Jul 13, 2014 12:47PM)
[quote]On Jul 13, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
Fantastic. Now you have proven you are simply not worth even talking with. [/quote]

Why, thank you!

although, As far as I know, I don't think you've ever talked to me. If you are hearing voices, you should really go get checked out.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jul 13, 2014 01:40PM)
I am glad when trolls reveal themselves.
Message: Posted by: tommy (Jul 13, 2014 01:47PM)
In today's immoral society, who wouldn't be?
Message: Posted by: Pecan_Creek (Jul 14, 2014 11:17AM)
[quote]On Jul 13, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
I am glad when trolls reveal themselves. [/quote]

You really shoudn't be so hard on yourself. But I am happy for you that you've come to terms with your predilections.
Message: Posted by: RNK (Jul 15, 2014 07:33AM)
[quote]On Jul 2, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
[quote]On Jul 1, 2014, Devious wrote:
The Worlde Cup lacks credibility without Mexico present.
It's akin to The NFL Playoffs without the beloved
Dallas Cowboys, 'America's Team'. [/quote]

Only Texans think the Cowboys are "America's Team." (Unless they're Houston fans.)

The new America's team plays in Seattle! [/quote]


Lol. Yea...Um... Time to come back from fantasy land Bob. When you have 6 Superbowls under your belt like the Pittsburgh Steelers who have fans all over the country- maybe- just maybe you can claim Seattle as the new America's team. You guys have a LONG way to go.

RNK
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 15, 2014 08:54AM)
That's what I was told last October when I predicted the Seahawk's Super Bowl win.

Seattle also the opening favorites for the coming season.

Ask Denver how good Seattle is. :) (And ask the referees who officiated the Pittsburgh/Seattle Super Bowl why they found it necessary to apologize for the bad officiating that stole the game from Seattle.)
Message: Posted by: S2000magician (Jul 15, 2014 09:21AM)
I, personally, don't recall when the Steelers were known as America's team.

When was that, exactly?
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 15, 2014 09:25AM)
Never?
Message: Posted by: S2000magician (Jul 15, 2014 09:27AM)
I sorta thunk that.

(Full disclosure: as a USC fan, I love Troy Polamalu, so I'm stuck rooting for the Steelers until he retires. Still . . . .)
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Jul 15, 2014 10:56AM)
The "America's Team" designation wasn't about Super Bowls or ability; it was about popularity. Specifically, popularity outside the home market. The. cowboys earned that one for decades - they topped the NFL merchandise sales list annually well into the 21st century. However, the new "America's Team" is actually the 49ers, led by the popularity of Kaepernick. More 49ers gear is sold than any other team's.

Don't shoot the messenger; I'm a Raider fan.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Jul 15, 2014 10:56AM)
I'm glad the World Cup is over, btw, so we can start talking football.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Jul 15, 2014 11:35AM)
BTW, I...uh...don't have a bookie, because that would be illegal, but if I did, he'd have the Broncos as the preseason favorites at 4.9-1, followed closely by Seattle at 5.25-1.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 15, 2014 11:41AM)
Seattle remains the favorite to once again win the NFC championship. And Denver to take the AFC.

Yes, the Superbowl odds ever so slightly favor Denver, but they must have been posted by someone who missed their last encounter. And it overlooks the fact that Seattle has actually bolstered itself with excellent off-season acquisitions. (It's also reflects the fact that the rest of the country STILL refuses to take Seattle seriously, just like they did last year.)

Seattle faces Denver in, I believe, week four of the upcoming season. That should offer an interesting preview.

I'm betting on the Hawks.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Jul 15, 2014 12:03PM)
At those preseason odds, I'd definitely prefer the Seahawks to the Broncos. And since their heads-up match is in Seattle, I like their chances in that game, too!
Message: Posted by: RNK (Jul 15, 2014 12:38PM)
[quote]On Jul 15, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
That's what I was told last October when I predicted the Seahawk's Super Bowl win.

Seattle also the opening favorites for the coming season.

Ask Denver how good Seattle is. :) (And ask the referees who officiated the Pittsburgh/Seattle Super Bowl why they found it necessary to apologize for the bad officiating that stole the game from Seattle.) [/quote]

6 Superbowl wins for Steelers and One for Seattle. You guys have a long way to go......
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jul 15, 2014 12:41PM)
Plus a cool nick name like The Iron Curtain.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 15, 2014 12:48PM)
There have been sixteen head to head games between the Steelers and the Seahawks. Each team has won eight. If you discount the abominably officiated Superbowl which the officials gave to Pittsburgh (for which several officials later apologized), Seattle is actually ahead.

But, in any case, the teams of years past are not the same teams that are playing today.

How did the Steelers do last year? 8-8. Seattle was 13-3.

in 2013, the Steeler had their worst start since 1934.

The present odds for Seattle to win the 2015 Superbowl are 7-1. Pittsburgh is 32-1.

Seems like the Steelers have a long way to go to regain their former glory. But I'm sure it's comforting for their fans to live in the past.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Jul 15, 2014 12:49PM)
What they said:

[quote]On Jul 15, 2014, RNK wrote:
6 Superbowl wins for Steelers and One for Seattle. You guys have a long way to go...... [/quote]

What we heard:

"OK, we were 8-8 in a subpar conference, but if you go back 35-40 years, you'll see that we're really quite an outstanding franchise."
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 15, 2014 12:51PM)
Good point, Lobo. It also should be noted that Seattle wasn't even an NFL team back in Pittsburgh's glory years.
Message: Posted by: Pecan_Creek (Jul 15, 2014 12:52PM)
Sounds like a great concept for a time travel movie. Would today's Seahawks beat yesterdays Steelers?

The Seahawks are probably quicker and bigger, but are they tough and mean enough?
Message: Posted by: RNK (Jul 15, 2014 12:57PM)
[quote]On Jul 15, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
There have been sixteen head to head games between the Steelers and the Seahawks. Each team has won eight. If you discount the abominably officiated Superbowl which the officials gave to Pittsburgh (for which several officials later apologized), Seattle is actually ahead.

But, in any case, the teams of years past are not the same teams that are playing today.

How did the Steelers do last year? 8-8. Seattle was 13-3.

in 2013, the Steeler had their worst start since 1934.

The present odds for Seattle to win the 2015 Superbowl are 7-1. Pittsburgh is 32-1.

Seems like the Steelers have a long way to go to regain their former glory. But I'm sure it's comforting for their fans to live in the past. [/quote]

No matter how you try to spin it Bob, the dominant organization over the years is the Steelers. I know it's hard for you to accept and sometimes the truth does hurt.
Message: Posted by: RNK (Jul 15, 2014 01:00PM)
Also Bob- you are wrong. Please see link: http://www.footballdb.com/teamvsteam.html?tm=28&opp=25

There has been 17 meetings between the two teams and the Steelers lead the series 9-8.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 15, 2014 01:01PM)
No matter how you try to spin it, RNK, the Steelers former glory is just that- former.

(But, then again, aren't good fans supposed to be talking smack to each other? It's part of the fun of the game. Don't take it too seriously. If I lived in Pittsburgh I'd be rooting for the Steelers as well. But I don't. I live in Seattle, so it's "Go Hawks!")
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Jul 15, 2014 01:12PM)
The Steelers were certainly the dominant organization over the years ('74-'79).
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 15, 2014 01:17PM)
Like you said, 34 to 40 years ago.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jul 15, 2014 02:54PM)
One SERIOUS advantage to being a Bears fan is it is quite easy to keep track of victories in the Super Bowl and when they were a dominant team.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 15, 2014 03:34PM)
The fact remains that the Chicago Bears still have the most players in the Hall of Fame.
Message: Posted by: RNK (Jul 17, 2014 12:09PM)
Here is some more smack for you Bob:

Steelers overall regular season record: 569-519-20
Seahawks overall regular season record: 293-303-0

Playoff record for Steelers: 33-21
Playoff record for Seahawks: 12-12

Superbowls: Steelers won 6 out of 8 appearances
Seahawks won 1 out of 2 appearances

To even be considered America's Team you would think they would at least have over a .500 record?????
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jul 17, 2014 12:18PM)
Look how popular the Cubs are. Sort of kills your theory huh?
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 17, 2014 12:20PM)
Live in the past RNK. In the present, the Seahawks are the best team in the NFL and will prove it again this year.

And, as noted earlier, the all time record between Pittsburg and Seattle is 9-8. Discounting the abominably called Superbowl for which Referee Leavey later apologized for making bad calls that impacted the game, the teams are statistically even.

Honestly, how well do you think your present day Steelers would do against the current Seattle team? Honestly.
Message: Posted by: RNK (Jul 17, 2014 02:21PM)
Again Bob- can't keep crying over spilled milk. Seattle LOST the Superbowl against the Steelers period. Can't spin it any other way- you cannot magically change the record book. Second- Steelers have two Superbowl wins within the last 8 years! Seattle JUST finally won ONE in how many years???? ALOT. lol! So if living in the past means within the last ten years- I sure will live in the past. There still are teams that have not even won ONE yet.

Steelers- one of the best and still one of the best, most popular organizations in the NFL today!

Seattle??? Well- Ok. Finally won ONE Superbowl. Hat's off to the seahawks for FINALLY winning one....
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 17, 2014 02:23PM)
How many years have the Steelers been in existence? How many years have the Seahawks been around?

BIG difference. But if you insist on living in the past, compare the first thirty years of the Seahawks to the first thirty of Pittsburgh.

Also, you have noticeably avoided my question, so I'll ask it again- How do you think today's Steelers would fare against today's Seahawks?
(Hint- it would be no contest.)

Go Hawks!
Message: Posted by: S2000magician (Jul 17, 2014 02:26PM)
Given that Seattle has four players from USC on its roster compared to only one (though an exceptional one: Troy Polamalu) for Pittsburgh, it's clear that Seattle is far and away the better team.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 17, 2014 02:28PM)
Also, RNK, the Steelers' 2013 record of 8-8 in a subpar division pretty much proves the point regarding the current teams. Compare the Steelers's division to the teams in the NFL West.
Message: Posted by: RNK (Jul 17, 2014 02:29PM)
I don't think you want to see the comparison Bob. Not very good- Seahawks look even worse. They began in 1976. So first 30 years would bring them to 2006- where their winning percentage would be worse. I know it's tough to accept. It definitely would hurt me to if my team was ranked 18th amongst the rest for popularity and was arguing with someone whose team had 6 Superbowl wins to my measly one. I feel your pain.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 17, 2014 02:30PM)
The Steelers are the ones feeling the pain after their dismal 2013 season. AGAIN- who do you think would win if they played today?
Message: Posted by: RNK (Jul 17, 2014 02:35PM)
[quote]On Jul 17, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Also, RNK, the Steelers' 2013 record of 8-8 in a subpar division pretty much proves the point regarding the current teams. Compare the Steelers's division to the teams in the NFL West. [/quote]

Um. Yea. Hard to debate when one makes a statement like the one above. I don't think you truly understand Football and the NFL. But it sure is fun to see you try and compare a weak organization like the Seahawks to a superior one such as the Steelers. One that not only I know is superior but so does America. Just look and read ALL the polls and surveys. You will not see Seattle above the Steelers. Again, I do feel your pain though. I can tell you love your Hawks!
Message: Posted by: RNK (Jul 17, 2014 02:43PM)
[quote]On Jul 17, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
The Steelers are the ones feeling the pain after their dismal 2013 season. AGAIN- who do you think would win if they played today? [/quote]


This is a typical comeback when one knows the information that is being provided proves the point. The point that the Steelers overall are a far superior organization than the Seahawks. Because the NFL is the way it is in today's day and age- I am not going to GUESS who would win today. I will say you never know how good a team is going to be until approximately 6+ games into the season. Many examples proving my point- Cardinals starting off their season 4-0 only to finish 5-11!
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 17, 2014 02:50PM)
Given that the Steelers pretty much stunk in their first 30 seasons, you might want to recheck your numbers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Pittsburgh_Steelers_seasons

Compare to the first thirty years of the Seahawks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Seattle_Seahawks_seasons

But I'd be happy to bet anything you'd like on which team will have a better 2014-2015 season.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jul 17, 2014 02:52PM)
Wow. When was the last time Pittsburg was competitive?
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Jul 17, 2014 04:27PM)
[quote]On Jul 17, 2014, RNK wrote:
[quote]On Jul 17, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Also, RNK, the Steelers' 2013 record of 8-8 in a subpar division pretty much proves the point regarding the current teams. Compare the Steelers's division to the teams in the NFL West. [/quote]

Um. Yea. Hard to debate when one makes a statement like the one above. I don't think you truly understand Football and the NFL. But it sure is fun to see you try and compare a weak organization like the Seahawks to a superior one such as the Steelers. One that not only I know is superior but so does America. Just look and read ALL the polls and surveys. You will not see Seattle above the Steelers. Again, I do feel your pain though. I can tell you love your Hawks! [/quote]


http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6vQpW9XRiyM
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 17, 2014 05:21PM)
[quote]On Jul 17, 2014, RNK wrote:
Again, I do feel your pain though. I can tell you love your Hawks! [/quote]

What pain? We are the Super Bowl champions and are likely to repeat. Pittsburgh isn't. I feel for you, though, you used to have a good team.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jul 17, 2014 07:28PM)
Having a dynasty in the current era is mote difficult in my opinion.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 17, 2014 07:31PM)
True. There is a lot more parity these days.
Message: Posted by: imgic (Jul 17, 2014 09:30PM)
Everyone knows the Green Bay Packers are America's Team. The most pro football titles, one of the oldes franchises, and a contender for the past decade plus.

Additional, the fans wear foam cheeseheads!
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 17, 2014 10:23PM)
As to the national popularity of the Hawks- how about these results from the NATIONAL Kid's Choice Sports Award (Nickelodeon):

Best Newcomer- Russell Wilson
Best Breakout Athlete- Richard Sherman
Team with Best Fans- Seattle Seahawks
Best Sports Team of 2014- Seattle Hawks

Sounds like "America's Team" to me! Just ask any kid!
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Jul 18, 2014 11:12AM)
Taking this back to the world cup. Here is a webcomic in which each country is represented by a person shown wearing the flag of the country as an outfit (Similar to [link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1356878/?ref_=nv_sr_1 ]"Hetalia: Axis Powers"[/link] but without WWII as the background);

http://satwcomic.com/football-feelings

(I guess I don't know if you can link an address to words, but you should be able to click on the address.
Message: Posted by: RNK (Jul 18, 2014 02:36PM)
[quote]On Jul 17, 2014, imgic wrote:
Everyone knows the Green Bay Packers are America's Team. The most pro football titles, one of the oldes franchises, and a contender for the past decade plus.

Additional, the fans wear foam cheeseheads! [/quote]

Yes- Cowboys-Packers-Giants and Steelers ties for 3rd ranked in popularity in America. Contrary to Bob's blindness of this fact the Steelers are much more popular than the Seahawks who have horrible franchise statistics.

RNK
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 18, 2014 02:43PM)
LOL!

You still haven't said how much you'll bet on which team has the better record this year. Living in the past if fine. But the CURRENT Super Bowl champions are the Seahawks. Sorry you are having trouble dealing with that.

You might want to check the Vegas odds on this years Super Bowl winner. Note the Seahawks odds and then note the Steelers. Try not to cry.
The bookmakers obviously don't give the Steelers much of a chance.
Message: Posted by: RNK (Jul 30, 2014 02:25PM)
A little more smack for you Bob. Looks like Steeler fans rank at the top as the most devoted fans in the NFL! Seattle- well- they were pretty low sorry to say. Have a look:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/cowboys--steelers-fans-rank-as-nfl-s--best---new-study-finds-232319819.html


Maybe if you guys win, like, 5 more Superbowls your fans will jump on the bandwagon!

Seatlle- a long way to go to become America's team.......
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 30, 2014 02:33PM)
The Kids' Choice Awards (which I linked to earlier) for best fans went to Seattle. And the kids are a lot more in tune to that sort of thing.

And Seattle's 12th Man is known nationally. Steelers' fans, not so much.

BTW, you never got back to me about how much you wanted to bet on which team (Seattle or Pittsburgh) would have a better record this year.

But keep living in the past. The future belongs to the Hawks.
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Jul 31, 2014 05:02AM)
Guys, it's a bunch of men knocking each other down over a ball.

It really doesn't matter this much.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 31, 2014 06:41AM)
Of course it doesn't. Talking smack is part of the fan experience! I'm sure RNK and I agree on this.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Jul 31, 2014 10:22AM)
LOL@ ranking fan support by counting Twitter followers.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jul 31, 2014 12:12PM)
Well of course the Steelers have more support among twits.:eek:

And only one week to go when the Hawks once again face the Broncos in their first pre-season game.
Message: Posted by: RNK (Aug 1, 2014 08:09AM)
[quote]On Jul 31, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Of course it doesn't. Talking smack is part of the fan experience! I'm sure RNK and I agree on this. [/quote]

Absolutely! One of the best parts of being a fan. Now you have to admit Bob- in every poll out there- the Seahawks are not even close to 1) having the best fan base and 2) being America's team. You will find when you travel the country and even over seas for that matter that there are way more Steelers fans than Seahawks. Just do a search of Steeler bars in America- they are everywhere! Not to mention, here is a blurb from an article written in 2010- "There's also an exhaustive list of 1,800 Steelers bars and fan clubs from Aruba to the U.S. Virgin Islands"

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2010/09/08/CMU-exhibit-examines-the-culture-of-Steelers-nation/stories/201009080146#ixzz3994FqmAq

Steeler fans are everywhere. No denying.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Aug 1, 2014 11:57AM)
Back when the Mets were the worst team in baseball, they also had an extremely large and devoted fan base. And look at the Chicago Cubs- the perennial basement dwellers who have, it can be argued, some of the greatest fans in the sport.

Just goes to show that a team can stink and still have lots of fans. Like the Steelers, for example. :eek:

So have you decided how much you want to wager yet?
Message: Posted by: S2000magician (Aug 1, 2014 03:15PM)
[quote]On Aug 1, 2014, RNK wrote:
"There's also an exhaustive list of 1,800 Steelers bars and fan clubs from [b][i]Aruba to the U.S. Virgin Islands[/i][/b]"[/quote]
Eighteen hundred Steelers bars in the Southeastern Caribbean? That's impressive!
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Aug 1, 2014 03:16PM)
I think they're mostly in Puerto Rico.
Message: Posted by: S2000magician (Aug 1, 2014 03:51PM)
[quote]On Aug 1, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I think they're mostly in Puerto Rico.[/quote]
Ishould have thought Cuba: oppressed steel workers should appeal to a socialist/communist mentality, no?
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Aug 2, 2014 04:36AM)
[quote]On Jul 31, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Of course it doesn't. Talking smack is part of the fan experience! I'm sure RNK and I agree on this. [/quote]

Yeah, maybe that's one of the reasons I never got into sports!
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Aug 2, 2014 11:57AM)
[quote]On Aug 2, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:
[quote]On Jul 31, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Of course it doesn't. Talking smack is part of the fan experience! I'm sure RNK and I agree on this. [/quote]

Yeah, maybe that's one of the reasons I never got into sports! [/quote]

But if you ever do, be sure to let us know so we can tell you why your team stinks! :eek:
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Aug 2, 2014 01:26PM)
The good news is the Cubs are in mid season form. The bad news is the Cubs are in mid season form. Mr. Will is right.
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Aug 5, 2014 08:11AM)
[quote]On Aug 2, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
[quote]On Aug 2, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:
[quote]On Jul 31, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Of course it doesn't. Talking smack is part of the fan experience! I'm sure RNK and I agree on this. [/quote]

Yeah, maybe that's one of the reasons I never got into sports! [/quote]

But if you ever do, be sure to let us know so we can tell you why your team stinks! :eek: [/quote]

Well, as I'm a New Englander, I pick my ears up when the Sports person on the news mentions either the Red Sox or the Patriots. But I don't watch any games except the Super Bowl (any excuse to watch funny commercials and eat junk food... and the commercials don't really have to be THAT good!)

But I've never cared for "talking smack." Even the "Star Wars" vs "Star Trek" people get on my nerves and I AM a sci-fi geek.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Aug 5, 2014 08:18AM)
Well you don't HAVE to talk smack. But it helps if you know when people are just kidding. :eek:
Message: Posted by: RNK (Aug 5, 2014 11:23AM)
[quote]On Aug 2, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
[quote]On Aug 2, 2014, ed rhodes wrote:
[quote]On Jul 31, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Of course it doesn't. Talking smack is part of the fan experience! I'm sure RNK and I agree on this. [/quote]

Yeah, maybe that's one of the reasons I never got into sports! [/quote]

But if you ever do, be sure to let us know so we can tell you why your team stinks! :eek: [/quote]

LOL! Great!

Thinking about this wager........
Message: Posted by: Mystification (Aug 5, 2014 02:34PM)
I am a Chiefs fan. I am hoping we defy all the odds and take the division this year. Denver has added a lot of talent in free agency, so it will be tough!
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Aug 6, 2014 04:54AM)
...Oh! And the Bruins (Boston) and the P-Bruins (their local farm team in Providence.) And there's the Celtics for basketball. I think that's it.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Aug 6, 2014 11:32AM)
Pretty good for someone who "never got into sports."

BTW- those teams all stink! :eek:
Message: Posted by: RNK (Aug 6, 2014 11:39AM)
[quote]On Aug 6, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Pretty good for someone who "never got into sports."




BTW- those teams all stink! :eek: [/quote] Not only do they stink- The Bruins are on of the most cheapest/dirtiest teams in the NHL.....
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Aug 9, 2014 04:47AM)
[quote]On Aug 6, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Pretty good for someone who "never got into sports."

BTW- those teams all stink! :eek: [/quote]

You're probably right. I don't follow sports. (me, while sports are on -> :napping:)
You can't help but at least KNOW the names of the teams.
If they're not being shoved down your throat every night during the news,
you're hearing about them in ads or seeing their merchandise worn all over the place.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Aug 9, 2014 09:42AM)
What's that tell you?
Message: Posted by: ed rhodes (Aug 9, 2014 07:55PM)
People get really too involved at what's supposed to be "fun?"
Message: Posted by: imgic (Aug 22, 2014 02:49PM)
Saw this today...just saying...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/forbes-ranked-nfl-s-best-fans--and-you-already-know-who-ranked-first-212252354.html
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Aug 22, 2014 03:21PM)
Yeah. Seattle will settle that with Green Bay when we play them at home in our first regular season game on September 4th. They'll get to experience the "12th Man" in person.

I confess that I do like the cheese heads, though. Just not when they play us.
Message: Posted by: imgic (Aug 22, 2014 10:23PM)
The guy who invented the cheesehead was from my side of Milwaukee when I lived there. Legend has it he and a bunch of buddies were watching a Packers game in their basement, sitting on an old couch that was falling apart. After a few beers the guy took part of the foam cushion that was falling apart and took it over to his workbench. Taking a soldering iron, he gouged out a space for his head, and some cheese holes. He spray painted it yellow and stuck it on his head. His friends thought it hysterical and told him he should sell them. He did and now he drives a Hummer with a bright yellow cheesehead paint job...and probably has more money than many professional football players.
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Aug 23, 2014 10:40AM)
I heard that rumor as well though never saw out substantiated.

Wasn't it Seattle who started the wave?
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Aug 23, 2014 10:52AM)
Here's what I found out- while the wave actually started in Mexico, it was first used in America at an Oakland A's game in Oakland, CA. It was picked up later that year and popularized at the University of Washington.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_%28audience%29
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Aug 23, 2014 11:02AM)
Well if you going to use facts and proof and research I am out of this conversation. I won't stand for it.

You have a lot of nerve not just letting me post baseless opinions unquestioned. Consider yourself on notice.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Aug 23, 2014 11:06AM)
LOL! Actually I had no idea where the wave originated, but your post got me curious. So now we both know!