(Close Window)
Topic: Review Request: Nail Writer Anthology by Thomas Baxter
How is this book? What's the best effect there or your favorite?
I've seen its vote(http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=316524&forum=15), but feel like the number of voters is quite small.
It's wonderful. Lots of reviews are around here in the past too. You'll love it.
I would like to echo VIEW's sentiments. It is a wonderful book, with some very interesting information on the 'history of' .... as well as some superb routines provided by some of mentalisms greatest thinkers. Highly recommended.
Buy it before you can't.
I have not been able to open this PDF for years. I forgot my password.

Thomas, Thomas, Thomas

Will he appear?
Tom, sadly, seems to have vanished. Hasn't answered an email in maybe 18 months.
I think maybe I need to re-read it, I remember being a little underwhelmed by it...*ducks*
[quote]On Jul 15, 2014, IAIN wrote:
I think maybe I need to re-read it, I remember being a little underwhelmed by it...*ducks* [/quote]

I'm in agreement here. In fact I have to be honest and say I haven't really dug into it. I paged through it but wasn't compelled to set aside time to dig deeper, not just yet anyway.
Thanks to the help of a couple kind souls, I can now read my ebook.

Much appreciated!

Sean
Perhaps I'm biased to be fair. I love his academic writing style.
It's just WONDERFUL! Can't recommend highly enough. The information on making your own is worth the price of admission.
IMO its the only book you will need on the subject.
I think Thomas Baxter, the author has moved from one end of Canada to another. Or so I hear anyway. He is out West somewhere by all accounts. Probably British Columbia. I also get a feeling, although I may well be wrong, that he is fed up dealing with magicians for the moment and I can well understand why.

As for the book I do own it. I consider it worthwhile. My favourite part of the book is all the historical information compiled by Tom Ransom.
The Café wasn't really worthy of Tom, and it isn't worthy of lots of names who have chosen to stick around. When you've performed as long as he has, I imagine you'll want to spend time pursuing other interests. Glad he gave us the NW Anthology, the OP Project, and Any Card Thought Of.
He also gave us RPS Entity which is what inspired "all the recent work" on Rock Paper Scissors.

Tony
My best effect is one using a NW
I highly recommend this book. I personally love knowing the history of things we as performers take for granted. This book really goes places most compilation books wouldn't go. You really don't need any other writings outside of this in my opinion. In my opinion every mentalist should have this book.
I'm new to NW (not the mechanics but implementing it into my act). Please can you advise where I can purchase this?
Http://www.magicbookshop.com/product_info.php?products_id=15759
Cheers Tim!
I know this book might be difficult to track down but it is well worth it.

The opening chapters describing how the nail writer came to be are fascinating, and I am not one who tends to be interested in the history of magic. However, having enjoyed the background to the nail writer, I then moved on to the actual effects. Some are outstanding including one which uses a nail writer in a very small but telling way, ideal if you are worried you cannot form letters or numbers well.

It is an exceptional book and, for anyone interested, I heartily recommend.
[quote]On Aug 29, 2014, NeilS wrote:
I know this book might be difficult to track down but it is well worth it.

The opening chapters describing how the nail writer came to be are fascinating, and I am not one who tends to be interested in the history of magic. However, having enjoyed the background to the nail writer, I then moved on to the actual effects. Some are outstanding including one which uses a nail writer in a very small but telling way, ideal if you are worried you cannot form letters or numbers well.

It is an exceptional book and, for anyone interested, I heartily recommend. [/quote]

I know it is an old thread but I have finally acquired one. It is a wonderful book, with some very interesting information! Get one if you can!
Are we talking about the original or the later, revised edition here? I have the original, but never acquired the updated version.