(Close Window)
Topic: What Supernatural films or any film fill you with emotion?
The Loverly Bones.
The Sixth Sense.
AI (si fi).

These films have had me in tears of saddness and still do when I watch them especialy AI and I do get very emotional with love story films if ther is a happy ending I cry with joy,yes I am a real cry baby and proud to be in touch with my emotion's.I write this thread because of something I have just read on L/G thread about bringing out peoples emotion's in certain mentalism routines,do they cry when they see your show ,should they?, reference (Counterpoint - Aaron Alexander and Jerome Finley).
Anyway not to detract,what is your list of films or even what type bring out your tears of happiness or saddness?.
Anything where the protagonist succeeds in spite of extreme hardship. Also tales of self sacrifice for the greater good. Not any supernatural films that I can think of. Usually dramas to it for me.
E.T.
Rocky
What Dreams May Come
Big Fish
I'm a big crybaby, so my list would be too long.

One film I can watch again and again though, is Field of Dreams...Americana, baseball, family, time travel, playing catch with your ghost dad...what's not to love? Has me draining my peepers every time.
Could be a loooong list,....but for all time I have to include just about ANY Ingmar Bergman film,....and especially relevant to all in this brethran, "The Magician". I actually have a VHS of the latter from decades ago and I am just now realizing how long it has been since I have watched it and that I should seek to have it transferred to a dvd for posterity asap!
Monsters Inc.
The last 5 minutes just push all the right buttons! :bawl:
[quote]On Jul 16, 2014, DocBenWiz wrote:
Could be a loooong list,....but for all time I have to include just about ANY Ingmar Bergman film,....and especially relevant to all in this brethran, "The Magician". I actually have a VHS of the latter from decades ago and I am just now realizing how long it has been since I have watched it and that I should seek to have it transferred to a dvd for posterity asap! [/quote]

I just found and ordered "The Magician" by Ingmar Bergman, dvd, on Amazon...great flic for any bizarrits or magicians!
[quote]On Jul 16, 2014, morgaine_le_fey wrote:
Monsters Inc.
The last 5 minutes just push all the right buttons! :bawl: [/quote]

As do most Pixar. Toy Story 3 milked a lot of tears. More recently I was surprised how much I enjoyed Wreck-It-Ralph, wasn't expecting much from it.

The history boys always gets me at the end and I have a soft spot for meet Joe Black.
Just thought of another one Speilbergs BATTERIES NOT INCLUDED,me and the Mrs were in flood's of tears when the boxer fixed the baby one,lol.Keep them coming folk's, and it is nice if this thread can jolt us to rewatch some of our favorite films,all the best.
Shane
[quote]On Jul 16, 2014, morgaine_le_fey wrote:
Monsters Inc.
The last 5 minutes just push all the right buttons! :bawl: [/quote]

True.
Not Supernatural, but a film that really tugged at my emotions is 'Uncommon Valor'.(1983)
War/Rescue flick !
Local Hero...makes me crazy homesick.

Here is the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4WQZbGMrl4

Here is the entire film: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh0ja-BTpbk

Yes it is supernatural...it has a real Mermaid...and Peter Capaldi the new Doctor Who.

"Keep watching the sky, MacIntyre."
Non-fiction (sort of): 'The Right Stuff'

Fiction: 'The Sandlot'; runner up 'Castaway' (the death of Wilson)

Science Fiction: 'Contact'

Supernatural: 'The Exorcist' (for fear); 'Ghost' (for tear-jerking)
Seance on a Wet Afternoon...
[youtube]W6dbk6RXALI[/youtube] [/quote]

Much later became an Opera that illusioneer and I actually attended.
It was creepy.
[youtube]LIjIjPIvzkk[/youtube]
I love the old Hopkins film- Magic. I've watched it about 5 times. It gives me the creeps, in a good way...
Not supernatural, but a few films which stir my emotions and make me teary eyed at the endings are:

Rudy
Shane
Dances With Wolves
A Perfect World

A film so creepy that it kept me from sleeping:

Paranormal Activity

David
[quote]On Jul 18, 2014, Eddie Garland wrote:

...Yes it is supernatural...it has a real Mermaid...and Peter Capaldi the new Doctor Who. [/quote]

And a great soundtrack by Mark Knopfler. :heavymetal:

My choice: "Jacob's Ladder"
"Jacob's Ladder" is a standout without a doubt Mind Guerrilla. Quite emotional and visually arresting, and the ending is killer.

Looking back on it now, I remember how cutting-edge and disturbing the effects were at the time. They were all done in camera...no CG. The director, Adrian Lyne, was inspired by painter Francis Bacon and it shows. The imagery is off-putting and disturbing. Since then, most if not all of the trickery has been copied by dozens of films to the point that the techniques are now sadly, cliche.
I completely forgot about "Jacob's Ladder"! Excellent film!

Another: "Angel Heart"
Frequency.
Second-chance themes get to me.
Again, (and knowing many of you here were probabby born after this film) I recommend the cassic, gothic film by Ingmar Bergman, 1958 "The Magician". Not the TV show with Bill Bixby!(And I know subtitled films, as this is in Swedish,are an anathema to young folks these days, but it is worth it for the period styling, theme, mystery and creepiness of the gothic genre presented)
Here is a link to check out an excerpt, although not the best one representative of the film unfortunately.

Http://www.criterion.com/films/27521-the-magician

There also is a better and longer review by Bowie if you Google the film title,
Ooops, sorry, not Bowie. The brief trailer and review of the 1958 Bergman classic, "The Magician", is by film critic, Peter Cowie;
Www.Youtube.com/watch? V=YDOzeEh5d7c
[quote]On Jul 19, 2014, Mind Guerrilla wrote:

...Yes it is supernatural...it has a real Mermaid...and Peter Capaldi the new Doctor Who. [/quote]

My choice: "Jacob's Ladder" [/quote]

"Jacob's Ladder" awesome film Mind Guerrilla fantastic twist at the ending.
[quote]On Jul 20, 2014, Fire Starter wrote:
[quote]On Jul 19, 2014, Mind Guerrilla wrote:

My choice: "Jacob's Ladder" [/quote]

"Jacob's Ladder" awesome film Mind Guerrilla fantastic twist at the ending. [/quote]
Another good one THE JACKET a 2005 psychological thriller film directed by John Maybury ,a man is bound in a straitjacket and then placed inside a morgue drawer and experience's extra-corporeal time-travel.
The Book Thief - not supernatural although it is narrated by Death
I gave a copy of ET to a friends kid as a gift about 12 years ago. I asked him later what his kid thought of it. He said "honestly man, it scared the **** outta him" I was shocked as I remembered it being such a tear jerker. He reminded me that when I saw it there were happy meals featuring ET and toys and commercials etc. When his kid saw it it was just a creepy alien hiding in a little girls dolls at one point etc. I never really thought about how much those things influence perception. That experience definitely made me become more aware of the manner in which something is presented and how the elements around it can alter perception.
ZoOpDoG, that is really fascinating. Who would ever have imagined ET frightening anyone? Yet, it does make sense. I would also guess that there are dozens of similar displaced "Hollywoodonian" examples of perception vs. reality.
I took a first date to see ET, I was holding back tears and she showed no emotional signs. (why I remembered,Her!)
Her comment was something like this " It's just some ugly alien creature ".

I think she could eat her, young ! lol
You gotta stop dating sociopaths G ;)
@Brynmore14..." If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with " lol

(Julie Newmar, Cher, Elvira, Marsha Brady, were always somewhere else at the time !) :-)
And, Yes they were older !

I always wanted a 'Cougar' ... Then, NOT NOW ! LOL
Well, not so many, to speak the truth...I can be interested, amused etc. but 'filled with emotions' is rare.
However :
As for moving me I'd say The Elephant Man, The Circus ( Chaplin ), The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, Kotch.
As for conveyed "sense of wonder", I find the '66 Fantastic Voyage unbeatable.
Elephant Man had me bawling. Barber's Adagio for Strings played in the background of any death scene will bring on the water works.

Everyone in Spooky should watch this film. It's Lynch's masterpiece in my opinion, and has his signature touches all over the place...steam, fogged glass, the hum of machinery...the circus scenes are especially disturbing. Hopkin's face when he first sees Merrick is priceless. It's worth watching just for that.
Yes ! The Elephant Man, was touching. :(

Not sure why this one did not come to mind, until just now.

"Somewhere in Time", starring Jane Seymour and Christopher Reeve, from 1980 .
Yessss! Also gets me every time even though it's corny as h*ll. Jane Seymour is always easy to look at though. Dang.
I am I the middle of watching Hugo, and it is vibrating my heart strings. My wife saw this ages ago, but I missed it.
I have also thought of two of my all time favourite movies that have strong magical themes,Excalibur and Something Wicked This Way Comes.
Ooh "something wicked" what a great film.

Not film, but I remember "puff the magic dragon" being played on the radio as a small child and being totally wreaked by it, unfortunately my mum had just told me that "if you listen carefully, some songs tell a story". Well she wasn't wrong, It still gets me all these years later. Soppy sod :)
Polanski's "Ninth Gate" filled me with emotions. The two main ones being intense rage and bitter disappointment.
I thought it was ok, but haven't read the book, so nothing to compare it to.
[quote]On Jul 29, 2014, Brynmore14 wrote:
I thought it was ok, but haven't read the book, so nothing to compare it to. [/quote]

I recommend you read the book. It is soooooo much better than the film. They stripped out a very significant strand of plot when making the film, which diminished the intrigue and impact for me. It also meant the film made less sense. And I thought the art direction was more "Murder She Wrote" than "Rosemary's Baby", which pretty much turned me off. Oh, and the ending was really, really sh*t and strayed absurdly and inexplicably far from the book.

In some ways I can't blame Polanski for ballsing it up. The novel is basically about an unsympathetic anti-hero traveling around, talking to people about books and solving a cerebral puzzle - not the easiest thing to turn into a silver screen smash. But it didn't stop me being angry and disappointed.
[quote]On Jul 29, 2014, MatCult wrote:

In some ways I can't blame Polanski for ballsing it up. The novel is basically about an unsympathetic anti-hero traveling around, talking to people about books and solving a cerebral puzzle...[/quote]

Sounds fantastic.
It is! Seriously! But probably better on the page than on screen.
I find that the books are normally better than the movie. I can't think of many movies that I thought were better than the book.
So the moral of the story must be to always see the movie first and then read the book ;)
Matcult,

Just got through reading the Club Dumas and then rewatching the Ninth Gate. Yep book leaves the movie for dead. In the movie they amalgamated characters and left out so much of the original story so as to make it almost a different story. The book is this brooding Noir, very original with a ending you don't see coming. The movie, by comparison, is a cliche filled devil workship movie. But at least they had the decency to change the name before they butchered the book.
I'm really happy you read it and enjoyed it!

:D

Who says Spooky is all about selling stuff????

(PS I'm not on commission for Arturo Pérez-Reverte's book)
I rewatched the devils backbone recently, that has quite moving performances from the kids.
Pixar's "UP"...but only the 1st act of the couple's life together.
Pan's Labyrinth
Man from Earth