(Close Window)
Topic: What do you call a seance performer?
I do a theatrical séance and will be performing for a group of shut eyes as entertainment after dinner. It's a very cool convention called Spirit Quest. Anyway, they are asking what to put under my name. Currently they have me listed as "master of bizarro magic." I don't care much for that title and would like to offer an improvement. I don't think medium is appropriate because many attendees will be mediums of a more genuine nature. Any suggestions?

Check it out at neghostproject.com
What about "Host"?
Theatrical Seance Performer
Phantasmosist?

Ethereal illusionist, sidereal illusionist, akashic illusionist.

I think a bespoke name for this particular gig is a great idea.
Let is know how it goes and break a leg. Or talking glass, at least :D
Steve, they did not list a location, do you know where it will be?
Paranormal investigator or something with that word.
Wow great suggestion! I'm liking something unusual for this. I might be a Phantasmosist!
Devil, Satan, Dark Prince, Lucifer, Beelzebub, Carrot Top... :-)

Just kidding, break a leg, Steve !

I'm liking "Paranormal Entertainer" .
[quote]On Jul 17, 2014, steven-gibson wrote:

I don't think medium is appropriate because many attendees will be mediums of a more genuine nature.

This may be a difficult gig, performing Seance for those who may be able to do the 'Real' thing ?
Medium is the traditional title. You can also go with professor or reverend if you don't feel that is misrepresentation. BTW, a seance medium's assistant is called the 'Control' just in case you are looking for that proper name. Assistant has a theatrical ring to it.
For me I have always used & preferred "Paranormal Entertainer" whenever my shows are a ghostly / seance type performance. It explains exactlly what I am & will be doing for my guests & spectators.
I usually like do small parlor - close up settings, but when I have done anything that is large stage performance I would list myself as a " Theatrical Paranormal Entertainer". Again only if the show revolved around being a ghostly - seance type show, I add the word "Theatrical" to it as my stage show has usually been more theatrically performed than my parlor shows.....
Http://www.veaseypark.org/about-us/our-history/

The webpage is in its infancy and incomplete. The venue is a great old camp building run by nuns in the 50's. Was originally a fabric facory turn of the century. Spirit Quest is in the large main original building. Groveland Mass
Godzilla,
I went last year and scoped it out. In this case, folks are folks and entertainment is entertainment(as long as its entertaining). Thanks for the warning. I just need to make sure I am entertaining and I should be OK!
Steve, I'm sure you will be fine ! :-)
That was an after thought, I have seen people say they can talk to the dead(Played for Real), and shake my head and think to myself...
How in the hell is he getting people to believe this BS ?

Again, Break a Leg !

Gary
Going with Paranormal Entertainer. Thanks all, Magic Café is the best!
Anyone can talk to the dead.....
...in dreams & with daylight eyes, the spirits are everywhere, they want to....
[quote]On Jul 17, 2014, steven-gibson wrote:
Going with Paranormal Entertainer. Thanks all, Magic Café is the best! [/quote]
I like "Spiritist". But it seems like your thoughts on the venue call for putting "entertainer" in there. Understandable. In that venue, I myself would go all in. Because I have different thoughts. And of course, thoughts have to be backed up by confident action in order to play out.
A Charlatan.
1. necromancer.

2. Make some shirts that say Real necromancers don't leave hickeys.

3. Count your money.

4. Give me 10% of that money via paypal

[img]http://www.activeendurance.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/lucy-advice-booth.jpg[/img]
Message: Posted by: MentalistCreationLab (Jul 18, 2014 02:41AM)
First let me say I just finished writing 23907 words 60 pages and did some illustrations for my new manuscript The Secret History of the Seance and on top of that just finished the outline and the lecture notes for my up coming lecture that is set for Jan 4th 2015 and I am wore out.

So if any of this seems a bit bumpy you know why.

I would have to say a séance worker would either be called a séance worker, host as Tony mentioned above referring to the person who is hosting the event or a séance conductor or medium It really all depends on what style and period your performing the séance as.

My personal preference is MEDIUM. Then again one of my acts a very traditional séance circa 1850s. Yeah, we even shoot guns and play other worldly music. Just like they did in the good old days. Now I know that too strong of an act for most of you but its historical accurate if your performing a early spiritualist style of séance that was popularized here in Ohio back in the 1850s that is. Its also the state in which I reside so it seems only fitting to do it the way it was back then.
[quote]On Jul 18, 2014, The Curator wrote:
A Charlatan. [/quote]

If it's 'entertainment after' dinner, then he's as little/as much a charlatan as a magician doing an ambitious card routine.
If you play it for real, I'd agree with you.
A Charlatan, in Africa, isn't an insult. It's a term used to design sorcerers. Charlatan is also a very interesting approach to weird phenomenons because you 'reproduce': a XIXth century seance experience. Your talent, then, consists of making people forget that the seance may have been a forgery. So, it's one of the possible approaches...
[quote]On Jul 17, 2014, MRSharpe wrote:
Medium is the traditional title. You can also go with professor or reverend if you don't feel that is misrepresentation. BTW, a seance medium's assistant is called the 'Control' just in case you are looking for that proper name. Assistant has a theatrical ring to it. [/quote]

In a traditional séance, a control is a purportedly discarnate entity who acts as the medium's intermediary with the spirit world. Examples are 'Phinut' for Mrs. Piper and more recently 'Prof Hans Bender' for Kai Muegge. These identities may or may not be traceable to actual historical figures.
A Charlatan, in Africa, isn't an insult. It's a term used to design sorcerers. Charlatan is also a very interesting approach to weird phenomenons because you 'reproduce': a XIXth century seance experience. Your talent, then, consists of making people forget that the seance may have been a forgery. So, it's one of the possible approaches... [/quote]
Very interesting!
A Charlatan. [/quote]

One of my shows was called "The Charlatan's Seance".
Yes Todd Robbins, you should come and do The Charlatan's Seance! that's a great idea!! I remember your ad for that one. It was you wearing a priest looking shirt with a tambourine and spirit trumpet floating over your head. I really wanted to see that. I did see the Mark Twain Centennial Seance you did in CT. That was awesome and of course really loved Play Dead (are you sure I cant buy a DVD copy of that?!)
How about...

Transfixtionalist
Seantist.
"Hybrid"
I think most magicians are materialists. So if you post a belief or (g@d forbid!) an actual experience of the Non-Physical on this forum...you're attacked or mocked. That's cool. Go for it! I was an assistant to a Medium for a few years. I used no contrivances. I understand trickery. Things still happened that made me think " I don't know".... My best to y'all, in all of your experiences.
On the Spooky forum, most magicians aren't 'materialists", they're tricksters. Today I woke up, threw a die and make 5. Today I'm a buddhist.
Dice hit Three for me...today I am juggler.
How about Master Steven? Leave the description to them, after the show, and then quote them for the next time.

I did a PR piece once, that had no pictures of me...only pix of audience members reacting. Potential buyers had to make up their own minds about what it was. It got me a lot of work. A lot.
I'm a ghost whisperer. However, I am Darkness, so I naturally whisper in the dark...
[quote]On Jul 20, 2014, The Curator wrote:
On the Spooky forum, most magicians aren't 'materialists", they're tricksters. Today I woke up, threw a die and make 5. Today I'm a buddhist. [/quote]
Yeah, I'm a faker, a taker... a midnight snaker...Today I rolled a blank die. It came up...blank. I'm a a Chaos Magician! (Very astute Mr. C & Mr. G... I come out of Soto Zen Buddhism and I am a juggler. Coincidence? P'raps. It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing.
Performer: "I'm a Phantasmosist!"

Layman: "Cool...do you sing or what...?"
I'm a Ghost Whisperer.
"Resurrection Negotiator"
What do you call a seance performer ?

Broke

If you only do seance ! :-)
What do you call a seance performer?

Mentalist who just wants to make more money doing other supposedly "real" things.
I think the theme of the seance will guide you to the name you choose to use (it may be guide,host, channeler, mediator, etc.. ) it is as you like it, as we make our own rules ;)