(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite mentalist(s)
When looking through this forum, I couldn't find a topic about people's favorite mentalist or mentalists, so I decided to create one.

Basically, I would like to hear who your favorite mentalists are. I was also thinking that this could become a good resource for beginner mentalists (a list of some of the best mentalists in the world).

Anyway, hope to hear from some of you soon.

Nicholas
By the way, my favorite mentalists would probably be Atlas Brookings and Ran Pink.
Mine would be Paul Voodini and Kreskin, as performers.

There may be many others who are equally good but I will not judge them from limited youtube clips.

As thinkers and writers, Voodini, Jerome Finley, Bob Cassidy.
Mine would be Paul Voodini and Kreskin, as performers.

There may be many others who are equally good but I will not judge them from limited youtube clips.

As thinkers and writers, Voodini, Jerome Finley, Bob Cassidy.

Honorable mention to Richard Osterlind, Lee Earle and Larry Becker as writers, and Derren Brown and the Evesons as performers.
Watching Kreskin when I was a kid on Mike Douglas and Merv Griffin was what first got me interested in mentalism. It was an amazing experience...so different from any king of magic show I had ever seen. So, sentimentally, I would have to vote for Kreskin too. After him, I'd cast my vote for Osterlind.
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (Jul 19, 2014 05:25PM)
You mustn't have used the search button! This topic is a perennial one on the Café.

I would have a few though and I think Canasta would probably be top of my list. British based would be Brown, and USA would be Osterlind, Cassidy, Maven, Kreskin and Hilford.

I also like Mark Elsdon's thinking.
[quote]On Jul 19, 2014, innercirclewannabe wrote:
You mustn't have used the search button! This topic is a perennial one on the Café.

[/quote]

That's a fact. Just do a Café search on the exact phrase "Favorite Mentalist," "Best Mentalist," etc., and you 'll get dozens of hits.
I did search phrases such as best mentalist or favorite mentalist, but I found nothing like this.
This question has been asked many times in the past (even a couple of weeks ago in fact) but I'll bite

My favorite is without a doubt Peter Turner.

The man's a creative genius and an incredible guy all round
Easy...

The best thinker and one of the best performers
is Bob Cassidy.

The best showman is Derren Brown.

Best wishes,

Scott
Bob,

That will cost you a drink.

Scott
[quote]On Jul 19, 2014, nwanstall wrote:
I did search phrases such as best mentalist or favorite mentalist, but I found nothing like this. [/quote]

You've got to do a keyword search and select the "Exact Phrase" option. I just did it and got more hits that you'd imagine.
[quote]On Jul 19, 2014, Scott Soloff wrote:
Bob,

That will cost you a drink.

Scott [/quote]

Okay. :)
Too many to list for me. I think we are fortunate that we have so many great performers and creators at the present time.
...anyone with a personality and something interesting to say...
I usually don't post in these types of threads but I will admit that the most I have learned from and got the most out of has (as far as thoughts and ideas go) been Bob Cassidy and Luke Jermay. I strongly feel that bobs work is just as important as Corinda and Annemann. I also like to use a lot of sug*estion and Luke's work is a gold mine. Sure I have others that I will admit I admire their work but these are the two that really have given me that drive to be myself and succeed to the best of my abilities.
If I had to pick a desert island discs style list of mentalists...in no particular order...

chan canasta
mr berglas
bob cassidy
docc Hilford
derren brown

i'll probably change my mind if you asked again (but please don't)...
I'd have to include Ross Johnson on my list of favorites, if I decided to make one.
His dvd is vastly overlooked...
[quote]On Jul 19, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
[quote]On Jul 19, 2014, nwanstall wrote:
I did search phrases such as best mentalist or favorite mentalist, but I found nothing like this. [/quote]

You've got to do a keyword search and select the "Exact Phrase" option. I just did it and got more hits that you'd imagine. [/quote]

That's what I was doing wrong. Thanks Bob!
[quote]On Jul 19, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I'd have to include Ross Johnson on my list of favorites, if I decided to make one. [/quote]

And my pal Jon Stetson, of course.
I never had the pleasure of watching Jon Stetson perform...

Just watched his promo video and I can tell you this - I will never perform the magic square.

That was a thing of beauty.

Best wishes,

Scott
[quote]On Jul 19, 2014, Scott Soloff wrote:
Easy...

The best thinker and one of the best performers
is Bob Cassidy.

The best showman is Derren Brown.

Best wishes,

Scott [/quote]
I completely agree and find Derren Brown thoroughly entertaining to watch.
It would be Chan Canasta for me, by a considerable distance. The perfect performing persona and a heart-stoppingly daring approach that was decades ahead of its time.
Off the top of my head: Jon Stetson, Ross Johnson, Bob Cassidy, Docc Hilford, and Richard Osterlind (in no particular order).

Tony
[quote]On Jul 20, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
It would be Chan Canasta for me, by a considerable distance. The perfect performing persona and a heart-stoppingly daring approach that was decades ahead of its time. [/quote]

No doubt that Canasta was a great performer- but the same, and more, could be said of Joseph Dunninger, one of the boldest mentalists in the history of the art who set the standard for those who followed.
I am amazed that nobody has mentioned Maurice Fogel. I have never seen anyone before or since to equal him in his heyday. The supreme showman.
Yes, he was. But, sadly, he wasn't widely known in the United States.

I was fortunate to meet him back in the early 80s in New York. A fascinating person and a great performer.

I'd include him on a list of my favorites (if I was to write one).
My top 3 (alive and still publishing) :
Peter Turner, Jerome Finley, Colin Mcleod.

As for how entertaining one is to watch then Derren Brown definitly.
My favorite mentalists (always alive) : Banachek, Bob Cassidy and John Riggs.
As was stated above, Vogel wasn't very well known. The Supreme Magic Company in Bideford Devon used to sell many of his items. I had his Houdini seance in the 70s, wish I knew where it was now, I most likely gave it away as I didn't do any mentalism back then.
It's great to hear all of your opinions!
Uri Geller
Yes- but I'm not sure that Uri considers himself to be a mentalist. He is generally perceived to be a psychic (or a charlatan, depending on your views).
That's what makes him my favorite.
Ian D Montfort, comedium.
I am surprised that Fogel isn't well known in America since his interview in the 13 Steps to Mentalism is very well featured and has very good information. I do know he performed in America a few times and I have heard that Dunninger even considered him a threat at one point. Most British performers of a certain age all agree that Fogel was the greatest mentalist of them all. But even if he wasn't he was certainly right up there. I do remember that people like Paul Daniels, David Berglas and others all stated that Maurice was the greatest of them all. Subjective of course but I share that opinion too. I would say he was equal to Dunninger.
I would agree. But, like I said, Dunninger was at one point the most popular radio personality in the United States and he also had a television series in the late 50's/early 60's.

Of course we mentalists knew of Fogel, but he wasn't a public figure here the way Dunninger was. No reflection on his abilities, because he cerainly was one of the best. His presentation of Annemann's "The Telephone Drama" was one of the greatest pieces of mentalism I've ever seen.

(He showed me his Swami writing once. It was virtually undeciphrable, but no one ever disagree when he told them what it said!)
John Riggs, Bob Cassidy, Peter Turner, Luke Jermay and Paul Voodini!!!
Bob Cassidy, Luke Jermay and Derren Brown. As diferrent performances styles. Paul Brook as writer (never saw his performance)
Sometimes a "favourite" doesn't necessarily mean the best. It just means "favourite". There may well be better mentalists than Kreskin and in fact I think there probably are. But I think he is probably my favourite of the ones that are around nowadays. But again, not because he is the best. In fact I and Paul Pacific have often speculated that if there were a competition at a mentalist's convention to see who was the best mentalist Kreskin would come in LAST! Especially if nobody had ever heard of him.

He has something though. Oh, and I may be wrong but I get a sense of a certain amount of "unscriptedness" from him. Just a hunch.
My favorite -- Atlas Brookings. I base this on his old works and not the latest one. Also, he is just unbelievably helpful. As the saying goes "they won't necessarily remember what you said, but they will remember how you made them feel." Atlas ticks BOTH boxes!
Bob Cassidy and Luke Jermay.

Both have a timeless style. The way they walk the line suits my tastes perfectly. Both are deep lovers of mentalism, great thinkers, real-world workers. Nothing flashy... just solid, first-class, hard-hitting mentalism.
Dunninger, Banachek and Brown
You know who is pretty good? Canadian mentalist Paul Pacific. He has charm and sex appeal when he works. Very charismatic performer. Alas just lately he has taken to performing in bare feet and jeans as a result of being advised by a rather silly local magician who don't understand show business. He doesn't seem to realise that this ruins his otherwise wonderful act. Hopefully this is a temporary aberration.

He is just as good a close up magician as he is a mentalist too. Of course that is because he has stolen all my tricks.
Well to be fair, I only perform barefoot at that one venue - a night club here in Toronto. They bill me as Paul Pacific the barefoot prophet.

Naturally during my normal shows at corporate events I am properly shod and suited up.

Thanks for the kind words though.
[quote]On Jul 26, 2014, PaulPacific wrote:
Well to be fair, I only perform barefoot at that one venue - a night club here in Toronto. They bill me as Paul Pacific the barefoot prophet.

Naturally during my normal shows at corporate events I am properly shod and suited up.

Thanks for the kind words though. [/quote]

I was worried about not performing with Eletrical Touch!!!
Big names have been mentioned so far ... my favorites are Banachek, Bruce Bernstein, Joshua Quinn and Jack Kent Tillar.
One name that I don't think I've seen mentioned is Michael Weber. I've not seen him in a public performance, but I've seen him perform and lecture at MindVention and he was very good.
I would have to pick 3 Bob Cassidy, Banachek, and Larry Becker
[quote]On Jul 19, 2014, IAIN wrote:
...anyone with a personality and something interesting to say... [/quote]

Perfect!