(Close Window)
Topic: Kidabra 2014
Anyone else going? Looks at least 95% that I'll be there in a couple weeks. I'm not much of a children's performer, but I tend to hit conventions together with a friend who does a lot of kids shows, so this seemed like a good event to check out.

I'd welcome any tips, advice, etc., from attendees of previous years.
Aaron even though you say you're not much of a kids performer, I'm SURE you will get something out of the convention. The atmosphere is so friendly, you will enjoy it. Hope to see you there.

Tommy
Sooo tempted to go... It's only an hour from my house and I've never been!
ATM's are very hard to find there, so you might want to bring some cash.

It's also a dry town, meaning that getting a drink (other than perhaps a glass of wine) may be a bit difficult.

Gerry
[quote]On Jul 22, 2014, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
[/quote]

Last year, we found a bank with an ATM just down the road. I don't remember if we had to go as far as the Walmart or not (which we went to on the trolley).

- Donald
[quote]On Jul 22, 2014, Gerry Walkowski wrote:

It's also a dry town, meaning that getting a drink (other than perhaps a glass of wine) may be a bit difficult.

Gerry [/quote]

Actually, it is no longer a dry town. You can get any drink you wish for at Ruby Tuesdays, which is in walking distance. The headquarters hotel does not have a bar, which is a shame. This is one of the great advantages of KAX! There is even a free cocktail hour!!
:bubbly:

JR
Donald,

It's kind of strange that even their own convention center doesn't have an ATM machine, nor do the local hotels. Talk about living in the now. :)

JR, if that's true, then Ruby Tuesdays must have changed things in the last few years.

Gerry
Thanks everyone for the posts so far. It's an interesting read! TommyJ, it seems from the way you phrased your post that you will be there too. If you are, I look forward to meeting you.
Will be there as well. I never miss it.

Best
Ken Scott
Message: Posted by: The Great Zucchini (Jul 25, 2014 04:11PM)
I will be there too, and if you can't find an Atm, hit Kens Scott up, between 5 and 8 Pm on the 14th Apparently, he's handing out 50's. I can't wait.
I'll be there!
I wish I could make it this year.
[quote]On Jul 25, 2014, Dynamike wrote:
I wish I could make it this year. [/quote]

Mike, you gotta attend. Have you ever been?
I'll be there - and yes it's a "wet" county as of last year.

Jim
This will be my first time. I hope to get to meet a lot of you that I have heard so much about and you hopefully get to know more about me as I am new here.

On a side note: Did anyone make time to do any side trips to Dollywood or local attractions? My wife and I are avid roller coaster fans (I have been on nearly 600 different ones around the world) and would be more then happy to visit dollywood and show them around if anyone is interested. I will be arriving sometime Monday and will be staying around the Saturday after Kidabra too. Let me know as it would be great to visit dollywood together and be "kids" for the day.
Message: Posted by: The Great Zucchini (Jul 31, 2014 06:49PM)
No kidding, man. Out of those 600 coasters, what's the top 3 scariest ones you've ever been on?
I'm looking forward to the conference . . . Wet or dry. And the roller coasters sound fun too.
Sorry to derail this thread a bit, but my top coasters are: Steel - Millennium Force (Cedar Point) Wooden (The Comet) Six Flags Great Escape. Magic Nick, I am jealous. I have been on most in the North East, but I'm not in your league.

Wish I could make it to Kidabra this year, but bookings got in the way. I am setting time aside well in advance for next year.
Message: Posted by: The Great Zucchini (Jul 31, 2014 08:46PM)
Yea, Charlie, I look forward to the day, we are chillin' by the pool, hanging out between lectures. Hopefully, you make it next year.
I really enjoy El Toro at Six Flags Great Adventure NJ, Leviathan at Canada's Wonderland and Griffon at Busch Gardens Williamsburg VA. I could name about 50 or so that are really good including Millennium force and the Comet that Charlie mentioned. Dollywood has a great wooden coaster too. As for scariest I rode one called Son Of Beast that didn't agree with my insides that well.. Needless to say they tore down the coaster after numerous injuries. My wife and I got married on a roller coaster at Knoebels Amusement Park. You may have heard of this park as they cater to numerous magicians with a different show every week. Anyway, I look forward to getting to know all of you. My wife will be attending but not the convention. She is going to Dollywood for a few days without me! I am trying to get her to go to the evening gala but we shall see.
Anyone who likes roller coasters is insane!!! :firedevil: JR
[quote]On Jul 28, 2014, TommyJ wrote:
[quote]On Jul 25, 2014, Dynamike wrote:
I wish I could make it this year. [/quote]

Mike, you gotta attend. Have you ever been? [/quote]

Ok, since you insist.

It is fun here at Kidabra. So far I did win a large carrying bag, a Ring in Gumball Machine, Ultimate Ring Grinder and a pack of clown dolls from the auction.
Tommy James, Me and The Great Zucchini.

[IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/Dynamikex/Dynamike%20Photos/VIPs/20140813_122415_zps3410efec.jpg[/IMG]
A dry county - what a strange concept! If I was in the States I might travel for the roller coasters, but a dry town would mean a convention without me.
[quote]On Aug 13, 2014, Dynamike wrote:
Tommy James, Me and The Great Zucchini.

[IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/Dynamikex/Dynamike%20Photos/VIPs/20140813_122415_zps3410efec.jpg[/IMG] [/quote]

Just doesn't get any better than that!
Message: Posted by: The Great Zucchini (Aug 14, 2014 12:26AM)
It would if you were there, Charlie
[quote]On Jul 25, 2014, Michael Messing wrote:
I'll be there! [/quote]
It is fun to meet you, Michael.
So............now it is all over, how was it? Any reviews would be welcome. :question: JR
Wacky Wizard was there too. His conversation kept me awake from the long drive.

[IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/Dynamikex/Kidabra/Havingfun_zpsfc8f5c79.jpg[/IMG]

If anyone need a photo album done for business or pleasure, Michael is the guy to call. I should have taking a picture of his studio. It was out of sight. You would never believe what type of photos he could take unless you seen them.

[IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/Dynamikex/Kidabra/20140814_124159_zpsc90e5229.jpg[/IMG]

It was nice meeting you Ken.

[IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/Dynamikex/Kidabra/20140814_120556_zpsebdb5022.jpg[/IMG]

Group hug:

[IMG]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e150/Dynamikex/Kidabra/GroupHug_zps244d0184.jpg[/IMG]
I made so many new friends this year! Mike it was great meeting you! Zucchini is one of the most humble people I've ever met. Mike Brezler and I got totally soaked in a downpour coming back from the restaurant! Two beautiful woman: Gaia from Italy and Carissa from Canada amongst many others made this convention so nice.

Although I loved the convention, I'm going out on a limb here and saying I really feel I'm done with lecturing. I'm also done standing behind a booth at a convention. I just don't feel lecturing is for me. I'm exhausted. I love performing and inventing new things and that is where I will focus my career. If I attend another convention it will be to hang with friends and just have fun.
As it turned out, I wasn't able to go, so my friend went solo. (She's in one of the photos posted by Dynamike, nice coincidence!) She's raving about how great the convention was, how much she learned, and how nice and welcoming people were. So thanks very much to everyone who was there.

Also, I'd like to say how pleasant the atmosphere is in this section of the Café, compared to some other areas. I'm sure there's internet drama, the way there is anywhere, but almost all the comments I have read on threads are positive, helpful and practical. Maybe it's because most of the people posting here have at least some paid performing experience. Posters here seem overall less opinionated, more grounded. At any rate, I really appreciate it. Thanks again.
It was great meeting a lot of you for the first time. Mike B, Dynamike, Eric K, Tommy J.. I am currently in the middle of some life changing times and Kidabra helped me face these changes with an open mind and no fear. I just up and quit my horrible full time job of six years to pursue some dreams. Wish me luck! I hope to see some of you soon. - Nick
I agree with Magical Nick that I was able to meet and make friends with fellow magicians I met on the café.
Meeting Nick, Tommy James, Dynamike, and Ken Kelly was awesome. It was also great to see my buddy The Great Zucchini.

I was able to learn some new things, spend lots of money on new tricks to use, and hopefully put more smiles on the kids faces!
KIDabra was wonderful! I really enjoyed meeting folks and the lectures and shows were very enjoyable and practical. I hope I can join in again next year. Nick, best wishes on your pursuit of your dream. I have also made a recent change and reduced my full time job to part time in order to pursue school assemblies and church shows. Keep me in your prayers as well.

Mike, it was great meeting you and eating lunch with you and Julian and Ken.

Jeff Knight from Gainesville, GA
Nick, I did not recognize you because you have no image of yourself on your avatar. Now I will never forget you especially because you look a lot younger than your age. You had everyone in suspense.

I wish I had more time to hang with you, Mike. I had so much to do in my mind. I especially enjoyed your conversation during breakfast and dinner. Thank you very much.
Message: Posted by: The Great Zucchini (Aug 18, 2014 12:37AM)
Hey Everyone, yep, if you haven't been, try to make arrangements to go. Talking shop over lunches, the speakers, and the overall ambiance is fantastic. Tommy, you're terrific, man, and I enjoyed meeting you, pal. Mike, I will hopefully see you soon, being in my area, and all. Dynamike, thanks for posting pics. I always enjoy seeing you, buddy.
Thanks for paying for our meals, Eric.
Message: Posted by: The Great Zucchini (Aug 18, 2014 09:02AM)
Yea, Nick was one of my favorite people there-what a riot. Dynamike, you're welcome, buddy.
It was an amazing experience!!!
Eric, Tommy and everybody else, thank you for making me feel so welcome!
Gaia
Message: Posted by: The Great Zucchini (Aug 18, 2014 08:44PM)
Gaia, you were a delight.
[quote]On Aug 18, 2014, magicodine wrote:
It was an amazing experience!!!
Eric, Tommy and everybody else, thank you for making me feel so welcome!
Gaia [/quote]

It was great meeting you too Gaia. Hope to see you again!
It was great meeting Mike (and having my photo taken with him!) and it was great seeing Tommy, again. I stayed busy photographing magicians all week but I did get to meet many new people and seeing lots of old friends. I had great conversations about photography and marketing with Ken Kelly and Julian Mather and I even got to photograph them. (I'll post a few photos as I get them done.)
[quote]On Aug 19, 2014, TommyJ wrote:
Hope to see you again! [/quote]
Everyone hopes to see Gaia again. Don't get me wrong. Not because she was the most beautiful one there. ;)
[quote]On Aug 19, 2014, Dynamike wrote:
[quote]On Aug 19, 2014, TommyJ wrote:
Hope to see you again! [/quote]
Everyone hopes to see Gaia again. Don't get me wrong. Not because she was the most beautiful one there. ;) [/quote]

She HAS to come back. We need her smile there.
Message: Posted by: The Great Zucchini (Aug 19, 2014 10:35PM)
Tommy, you got that right. Her smile lights up a room.
[quote]On Aug 19, 2014, The Great Zucchini wrote:
Tommy, you got that right. Her smile lights up a room. [/quote]

So does your Eric. Nice spending time with you.
Message: Posted by: The Great Zucchini (Aug 20, 2014 06:23PM)
You too, Tommy. Next time, we'll have to get a couple more dinners in there, pal