(Close Window)
Topic: Pocket management for walk around
Are there any good books out on pocket management in walk around situations? I need to battle the *bulge*.

Thanks
I don't know of any books on pocket management but I did find a device that has helped me keep my pocket props in order. It is the pocket organizer from Klamm magic. I thought is was a little pricey for what you get but it works for me. I am even considering getting another one for my left pocket.
Hi Christopher:

Eric Henning had an excellent post on this subject. He has a book out now, and posted a chapter from the book in this section...somewhere. If you do a search under his name, you'll find it. It is very helpful. One thing I really liked is his idea of a "trash pocket" (actually, I think he credits David Williamson for this idea).

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Ron
There is a posted topic on this that may help.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=1351&forum=34
A small leather fanny pack worn in the front works great for freeing up the pockets.
I use a small, black leather fanny pack. I also have the Klamm organizer and the Pocket Pocket.

I have not gotten quite used to them, however.

Just a matter of time.

Frank
Depending on the situation, I use cargo type pants (but those don't look too good with a suit jacket).
I use cargo. They work perfect for me.
I believe it was Steve Dushek who used to sell dove vests (in both white and black). They are worn under the jacket and have three pouches on each side and attach to the top of your pants. I have never used it as a dove vest but I have used it for my walk-around.

Although you will still have bulges around your chest area under your jacket, it avoids the "pull" on the jacket and the unsightly bulges in your side pockets you normally get from having too much stuff in them. It also allows your coat to hang freely so you still look good. It also allows for great pocket management as you always know the compartment (or pouch) where the right pack of cards or other trick is located without any fumbling.

yours,
Scott
Why do you guys carry so dang much? For walk around you really shouldn't need more than 3 - 4 solid routines. After all a pro performs the same material for different audiences right?
It's always the same for me.
I carry

Sponge Balls
A deck of cards
An extra deck of cards
Coins and Coin Purse
Slydini Silks
Silks and TT
Small magic wand
Pindemonium
Sharpie
Ballpoint Pen
Scotch Tape
Business Cards
Purse Frame
2 squeekers
Card Warp Deck
Maybe a gaffed card (DF or DB or sticky)
Small chop cup
Small bag of Balloons

And if I can get James Riser to make me a set of mini's I'd carry those too (somehow).

Wow! That's a lot now that I read it.

I carry it all in a fanny pack.
I know where it all is. I don't usually use everything.

If I had to go bare bones, I could just take a deck, a coin purse, spongeballs, and silks, I guess.

Frank
Frank,
I asked the question, and I know it is off topic (and should probably be in Food For Thought), but your answer somewhat validated the question. You said yourself, you never use everything. Then why carry it?

When I started working restaurants professionally I would go in loaded down with props. But the longer I worked in a real-world close-up environment, I found myself performing fewer pieces. I started out with 12 routines. Now, I am down to 4. I carry 3 sponge balls, 1 deck of cards, b'wave in a wallet w/ my ID, and a coin purse with 3 half dollars, and a sharpie. That is it.

When I perform for a table I am only going to have time for one, or two routines. So why carry more than I need? I have narrowed down my pro repetoire to only the strongest routines. And even with only 4 routines, I can perform different material for different tables if I need to. And if need be, I can perform additonal material with the cards and coins. But it never happens. I amaze them, make their jaws drop, and get the heck out of dodge.

And it all fits in my two front pants pockets. No fanny pack. No bulky cases or pouches hanging around. No goofy looking vest with a million bulging pockets. Two pockets, unlimited entertainment potential.
That is so true, Cool Daddy. Three to four great strong effects for each table and that's all you need. The only problem for me is that I have so many regulars now becasue I have been working the same place for 3 years I need that extra stuff just for them and I still repeat stuff. I am not talking about repeating it twice but 4-5 times. They still love it but that would be the only reason I carry extra stuff on me.When working a strolling gig you bet I only have about 5 tricks on me.
Shawn D
OK, here is a slight exception to the early rule. IF you are encountering repeat customers on a consistent basis, then it would be prudent to carry 1 extra piece. It could be a different routine with cards (that's why it is so important to learn card and coin magic with ungimmicked cards and coins), or maybe a routine with things from the table, or borrowed items. That way it doesn't take up any extra room in the pockets.

BUT, 3-4 routines for each table? That's spending a lot of time at a table. My general rule of thumb is to spend 3 - 5 MINUTES at each table. It is rare that I break that rule. Very rare.

So to re-cap the BCool Table Hopping Theory:
3-4 routines is all you need
3-5 minutes at a table
1 additional piece per week for repeat customers
I carry in my inside jacket pocket card to wallet
outside left jacket pocket jiggernaut
outside right jacket pocket thumb tip
trouser left pocket sponge balls
trouser right pocket two pen knives
rear trouser pocket jumbo coin
on trouser belt card wallet
jacket breast pocket packet tricks
I provide a more analytical approach...

First, establish what effects you "need" to have at the ready. Second, determine what props you need to perform those effects. Third, work through the coreography of each effect to see if you "must" have certain props in certain places; put another way, separate the stuff that can be put "anywhere." Fourth, work out where to put the "flexible" stuff...this stuff can be put in a pouch, waist pack, etc.. Fifth, if you have to load up with too much stuff, try to cut back; you don't need to be able to perform "everything" "everywhere." Lastly, set it up, lock it in, and try to keep it that way.

Oh.. those "in the pocket" dividers work great. I made up one for coins. Its flat, holds a jumbo coin, and has 4 little pockets for coins. It keeps "types" of coins (C/S, shell, etc.) separate, I know where each is by position, and it keeps everything quiet in my pocket. I just wish I could sew.
[quote]
On 2004-05-13 10:45, Big Daddy Cool wrote:
Frank,
I asked the question, and I know it is off topic (and should probably be in Food For Thought), but your answer somewhat validated the question. You said yourself, you never use everything. Then why carry it?
[/quote]

I can't help it. I think that's the real answer. But I do think that gradually, I'm reducing as you point out.

I agree that less is better.

Frank
[quote]
On 2004-05-18 11:01, Scott Horn wrote:
I provide a more analytical approach...

First, establish what effects you "need" to have at the ready. Second, determine what props you need to perform those effects. Third, work through the coreography of each effect to see if you "must" have certain props in certain places; put another way, separate the stuff that can be put "anywhere." Fourth, work out where to put the "flexible" stuff...this stuff can be put in a pouch, waist pack, etc.. Fifth, if you have to load up with too much stuff, try to cut back; you don't need to be able to perform "everything" "everywhere." Lastly, set it up, lock it in, and try to keep it that way.
[/quote]

OK Scott, you caught me. In theater what props you use are determined by what props the character needs to use.

I take the same approach in magic, since I view it as a theatrical form. I allow my character (Big Daddy Cool) to determine what props I need. And admittedly, he needs only a few pieces.

I've allowed my theatrical point of view skew my advice to others somewhat. So, I will back track and agree that you should carry what ever your character needs.

But from an asthetic and technical view, I still think that less in the pockets is better than a ton in a pack.
How does one of the magician`s rules "never repeat the same trick for the same person/audience" apply to restaurant, taverns, strolling, etc. when you do only a small number of tricks? Especially when a patron tells you they enjoyed your last performance.They may even be with someone and ask you to do a certain trick you did last time.

John
That is a great question! I think that rule applies to IMMEDIATELY repeating a trick for the same audience. I have seen Copperfield perform his duck bucket routine 100's of timesand it still is wonderful to me.

So go ahead a repeat that routine a week or two later when a customer comes back. If you are really anxious about it, learn an alternate method to the same trick. Bro. John Hamman was a genius at this.
I learned a great lesson from the Great Tomsoni.

He was working at one of the big conventions here in Las Vegas (Comdex?) and after watching his show I was introduced to him during one of his breaks. He said "Stick around, I have another show to do..." so of course I did. One of his tricks was a card prediction (Nemo 1500?) where for the finale the selection is embossed in gold letters on the wallet itself.

Seeing it done once, of course I was looking for the same card to show up again. This time a different card was selected, so I was curious to see how Johnny would handle it. After the usual "is this your card?" failure that is typical of this trick, he turns over the wallet to reveal the spectator's card; a [i]different[/i] card than what I saw before.

It didn't even dawn on me that he would have come prepared with more than one ending.

That made a big impression on me. Here I am, assuming I knew what was coming, and was even more surprised than the person who saw it the first time.

So, sometimes it [i]is[/i] okay to repeat a trick. Just make sure the repeat is as good (or better) than the last time they saw it.
Now I have to carry around the Ninja Rings too.
Just when I thought I was reducing.

Frank
LOL! Yeah, know what you mean Frank. Seems the more I read these great posts the more tricks I have to have.

When I was a kid and got "bit" by the magic bug it was about MAGIC. Now it seems I`m leaning, leaning, leani...Nope! Got to shake off this feeling about mentalism.

John
I carry a small close-up case with some extra stuff in it for special times and for repeat customers. I only carry on my person maybe 5 to 7 routines. When I started doing magic in reasturants I always had a suit on, but now I ware a nice short slevee shirt and cargo pants. If I do a nice place I will put the suit back on, but it is too hot walking around in a suit for three or more hours. Plus it is easyier to manage everything with just cargo and a shirt on.

Keep the magic ALIVE

Tom
Once again, less is more.pack small play big.the less you carry the more you will be forced into entertaining rather than demoing magic tricks
Great point Gerardi, get the most ENTERTAINMENT out of the small amount of tricks you carry.

John
I always try to do multiple effects with the props that I carry. More bang for the buck. For instance I carry 4 halves a shell and a jumbo coin. Now I can perform coins across, 3 fly, coins in hank, even coins through table coins to glass, a 1 coin routine with a jumbo coin finish, all with 4 halves. Obviously there are thousands of trick with a deck of cards. I once forgot my close up case and didn't realize it until I got to the restaurant. I had a deck of cards and some coins in my car and borrowed some rubber bands from the office and I did 3 hours with only the few props I had on me. Great learning experience (to never leave home without my case) that less is more.

Shawn
I work at three different restaurants, and so pocket management is important.

I argee with with Big Daddy Cool to an extent, you should be be able work a night with just the bare essentials in your pockets.

But you know, I like variety, not so much for my spectators, but for me. I carry all the different things I can do in a laptop case. And put it in the office of the manager.

Now if I start doing some tricks, and I feel like I want to do something else for a change, then I can go the the office, change tricks, and start up with that.

I hate carrying stuff on me, you get that terrible pocket bulge that's no good at a family restaurant, I want bare essentials.

But sometimes I want to break out the cups and balls, mainly 'cause the audience proved to me that they are an audience to show it to.

Or I have a boy or girl with a loose tooth, and I want to do sponge teeth from mouth.

You gotta come prepared, but I don't want to carry everything on me, I like open pocket space, so a case, even if you have to carry it with you, is what I would recommend.

Frank-If you have that stuff in your pouch, and your pockets and where ever else you have, and you got it set for you, then leave them there. Work on getting rid of the tricks you absolutely don't need, even if they are cool.

It might be taking up space for a trick that's even cooler, you know?
[quote]
On 2004-01-19 19:44, imagealter wrote:
Are there any good books out on pocket management in walk around situations? I need to battle the *bulge*.

Thanks
[/quote]

Yes, there is a good book.

http://www.leirpoll.com/pocket.htm

John Cesta
Message: Posted by: Dr_Stephen_Midnight (Jun 24, 2004 05:26AM)
I do strolling mentalism, and rely heavily on side jacket pockets. I wear a black leather blazer that has flapless side pockets. Most of my decks, ESP packets, change envelopes, etc. go there.
My card packets for Mark Strivings' "You are Psychic" go in the breast pocket.

For casual situations I wear a safari shirt that has dual breast pockets and flapless side pockets.

Note: If carrying a packet trick in a shirt breast pocket, I always have something else (esp deck in the case, thin wallet, or etc.) in that pocket between me and the packet. I found out by experience that body heat and perspiration radiating through the shirt will warp the cards in the packet.

Steve
I remember a small inexpensive device sold by Carl Andrews called the pocket pocket, very practical and affordable, I think you can get these directly from carl.
how about a money belt? the sort that you were and keep all your travellers cheques in, at least thme it would stay out of sight, for myself I think a traditional fanny pack may look a little odd with a tux

Tom
Where to put it all? Expand your mentalism effects that use only items you all ready have.
I have always adapted suits to have more pockets, costly but effective

Also I always found that I ended up using a Topit as a large pocket
[quote]
On 2004-10-02 05:17, Jon Beetham wrote:
I have always adapted suits to have more pockets, costly but effective
[/quote]IF/WHEN you are a pro..you simply HAVE to...

The audience doesn't know and you expand your performing possibilties several hundred percents..if in doubt, se what Jim Cellini did, after working from a pouch for many many years!
I try to be able to do several effects with a regular deck of cards - cuts down on the props.

Typically, I may have a deck of cards, a few ropes, a wallet, a marker, sponge bunnies, bills for Mismade Bill, an Egg Bag and a Sun and Moon set. I try to avoid having a lot of props, on me.

I can do a few things with things on the table, such as a equivoque prediction effect where I write a prediction on the back of my business card.
I Find a safe room to store equipment I can go there to reset props and/or change them. Jc :stuckinbag:
If you custom fit a tuxedo jacket with pockets sewn inside you can eliminate the bulge and still have plenty of room for five or six items which is more than enough for the typical hospitality hour and cocktail party. You can also do the same thing with a suit jacket. Find a good tailor!
I have a vest (waistcoat for our friends in the UK) that has four pockets, two on each side, at hip level and directly above each other. They are perfect for a deck of cards or anything else that would fit in such a space, like business cards (set up for Sankey's Memory Lapse), color changing knives, extra coins (or final load coins), etc.

Added to a suit that matches and has 4 interior pockets, a hanky breast pocket outside and divided hip lockets in the coat, along with the suit pants pockets in front that also have interior "watch" pockets inside and regular rear pockets, I have all the room I need.

But I still carry my brief case to and from the gig because it's nice to be able to swap out material every once in a while (not to mention that I hate going home with my pockets loaded with all the stuff I usually have in there!

Hope this helps!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
I posted my setup under "Jackets."
[quote]
On 2004-11-30 13:38, Bill Palmer wrote:
I posted my setup under "Jackets."
[/quote]
Ditto. Check out the thread in this forum on "Jackets"

[quote]
On 2004-01-19 19:44, imagealter wrote:

Thanks
[/quote]
I think we have gone pretty far afield from Christopher's original request. The one book I am aware of and heartily endorse is "Pocket Power" by Jarle Leirpoll. You can read more about it at his website at http://www.leirpoll.com/pocket.htm As he says, "This book deals with your pockets, and how to use them for switches, ditches, steals etc. A whole chapter on stealing from your pockets." You can buy it through his website or a cheaper, used copy from H&R Magic Books at http://www.magicbookshop.com

yours,
Scott
Limiting what you carry and getting the most mileage out of props is my solution.
I carry my entire walk-around act in my pockets.
My pockets contain:

5 die - Sacks, Matrix, Chink-a-Chink

2 Decks - Reg and ID plus Sharpie

1 Okito Box in bag with 4 Halves, 1 S, 1 FC

I'll do two to four hours of walk-around with above.
What about "the Vest" by Bob James Magic Shop. Or is it the "Houdini Vest"? I can't remember what it is called but I have it. It has all the pockets you could ever need...worn by itself or under a jacket I can guarantee that you will have more pockets than you know what to do with...
If you have a jacket on, and pants (let's hope), you should be fine. Two pant pockets- That carries multiple decks, coins, and more. Two jacket pockets, not including the inside pocket- that's for more decks, and gaffed items,or even cups and balls. Five pockets should be good enough for a walk around, maybe you need an extra little fanny pack. If you need more room, I would think about the amount of magic you are carrying, and maybe you want to cut it down... IMHO (though I have yet to do walk around. lol)
Imagealter:

As far as I know there are NO books out there written specifically about magic pocket management. There are however, two books written about using your pockets for magic and how to use them for switches, ditches, steals etc. They are:

Pocket Power
by Jarle Leirpoll

More Pocket Power
by Jarle Leirpoll

You can find them for sale at Jarle Leirpoll's Magic Web pages at http://www.leirpoll.com or at his Misdirection Resource Center. The Pocket Power book was mentioned by johncesta in one of the above posts. I couldn't find any information about "the Vest" at Bob James Magic Shop that Magic w/ HART also mentioned in one of the above posts.

The Magic Café members all gave you many great ideas and suggestions about pocket management such as:

Leather Fanny Packs
Cargo Type Pants
Dove Vests
Small Close-Up Cases
Shirt Breast Pockets
Jacket Pockets
Vests

All of these are great ideas that you could use but I would take a look at the three pocket management accessories mentioned in the above posts:

The Pocket Pocket by Carl Andrew at Carl Andrews Comedy Magic Entertainment
The Close-Up Pocket Organizer at Klamm Magic
The Trick Indexer at Chazpro Magic

Here is some detailed information about these three pocket management accessories:

Carl Andrews Comedy Magic Entertainment
The Pocket Pocket
The Pocket-Pocket is a pocket organizer for your trouser pocket. It turns your trouser pocket into 8 pockets to easily organize your effects while performing. No more searching thru your pocket to find props, with the pocket-pocket, you know where everything is located.
Trouser Pocket Organizer: The Pocket--Pocket
- $10 plus Shipping in 2006 prices.

Klamm Magic
CLOSE-UP POCKET ORGANIZER
Transforms just 1 jacket pocket into 17 separate, easy access compartments. A mini close-up case at your finger-tips. For cumberbuns, too. Unique semi-rigid fabric keeps its shape to hold each coin, card, knife, thumbtip, ball, silk, etc. in an exact position for instant location. Without looking, locate the proper side of your color changing knife. Reduce the bulk of silks or sponge balls and keep colors separate.
Price: $9.50 in 2006 prices.

Chazpro Magic
TRICK INDEXER
Tired of digging in your pockets for magic props? This damages props and makes you look disorganized. The Trick Indexer organizes your props for quick and easy retrival, plus it protects them!
Hang the Trick Indexer inside your jacket. No sewing necessary. It is designed to attach and detach quickly. It holds lots of your favorite magic props. There are special pockets to hold several decks or cards, coins, sponge balls, rope, silks, packet tricks, etc. A large pocket on the back will hold jumbo cards, even a wand! $17.50 in 2006 prices.

Here's my suggestion imagealter, buy one of the pocket organizers mentioned above and take a look at Carl Andrew's DVD-R that he has out called "No Jacket Required." I don't have this DVD yet but I've heard that Carl has some pocket management ideas on this DVD plus you might learn some new great walk around effects that you can perform from your pockets. On this DVD, Carl performs and teaches the many routines he used when performing at the outdoor resort/restaurant in Maui. All the routines are fit in your pockets, are easily reset, and can be performed without a jacket. Perfect for restaurant workers or those who travel light and do apparently impromptu magic. It costs about $29.95 in 2006 prices.

I hope that this helps.

Gerard
[quote]On Mar 27, 2004, tommy k wrote:
I don't know of any books on pocket management but I did find a device that has helped me keep my pocket props in order. It is the pocket organizer from Klamm magic. I thought is was a little pricey for what you get but it works for me. I am even considering getting another one for my left pocket. [/quote]

These are not sold anymore. He is offering to sell you the pattern for $35.