(Close Window)
Topic: Shell Shocked - By Mark Mason
I don't usually post a lot of things. I am a worker performing restaurant magic for over 30 years, along with my Corporate Gigs. During the IBM / SAM Convention in St. Louis, I watched and then purchased Mark Mason's Shell Shocked in Morgan Dollars. This routine, and expertly made shell is so amazing, and I love watching the sheer magic in the transformations that occur, and I know what is happening. The spectators just are stunned seeing the coins melt and move. It's like an extra magic show for me each time I perform it. I have no vested interest in this, but wanted to share it. This is a great addition to my other sleight of hand coin miracles. Thank You for listening. Pattrick
I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Mason / Swadling product. I have been happy with everything I have got from them so far (and it has been a bunch) :-)
I watched Mark perform this in front of me
several time's.Look's like real magic.
Todd
Hi guys, I am wondering if this deep dish ] varies in ease or versatility compared to the regular expanded shell. Does anyone have an answer? By the way... this is ( a copy) my first post. I am happy to be apart of the Café! What a grat community to be a part of.
Cheers everyone!
-Billy
Welcome to the café Billy.
Todd
I don't know if the deep dish shell varies in ease or versatility. I'm not really a coin guy. But, this shell certainly offers the most coverage.

Robert
Good to hear the feedback. I've been actually thinking about picking up this set. Used to use a Dean's set, but ultimately I think the remilling was probably not necessary.

Rob
Thank you Tod, hope we can be friends! I always enjoy your posts. Good people.
Cheers
Thank you Robert! Can any one tell me how easily the deep d. ] can be removed from c***?
Thanks everyone.
Peace
Should not be any different than the others.
Mt lassen and Kueppers shells cover most of my coins.
And they will dislodge easily enough.
Todd
Thank you Todd. PS. Do those Lassen and keupper ] cover completely?
[quote]On Dec 20, 2014, Moondragon1 wrote:
Thank you Robert! Can any one tell me how easily the deep d. ] can be removed from c***?
Thanks everyone.
Peace [/quote]

Are you really disguising the word "coin"?! Or am I mistaken?

After all, "coin" is even in the title of theis subforum...

Jim
Haha you blew my cover Jim!😉 I did.
I would say 98% of the coin.
Todd
Wonderful! thank you Todd.
Thank you Todd. PS. Do those Lassen and keupper ] cover completely? [/quote]

There's always give and take. Personally, I don't care for the look of shells that completely cover a coin.
Wow Nicholas. See yothat is another thing I was concerned about. Why is that Nicholas? Is there added distortion?
* yothat was meant be be now that.
Billy, Its not necessary for the shell to have full coverage, in fact, the full coverage aspect of the deep dish shell makes it look a lot thicker than the regular coins. There aren't really any distortion issues though.
I wonder how the nested shell looks from the under side. More noticeable than a standard expanded shell?

Jim
Good question, if you are using "s" mint marked regular coins it is SLIGHTLY more obvious than coins made by other mints - the edge of the shell jets out a bit. However, it really depends on how close fitting the shell is to the coin, both the deep dish and standard shell can be very telling if there is a slight gap. But then again, no one notices that apart from us really.

--- ;)
[quote]On Dec 21, 2014, Moondragon1 wrote:
Wow Nicholas. See yothat is another thing I was concerned about. Why is that Nicholas? Is there added distortion? [/quote)

In an effect like Translocation, the thickness and width of the shell either nested or un-nested are pretty obvious to me.
Thank you Todd. PS. Do those Lassen and keupper ] cover completely? [/quote]

A little late here. The Lassen coins cover about 80%. Swaddling/Mason about 98%+ you can sand the edges of your quarters or dollars or halves and get 100% coverage but that's getting esoteric . . . Lassen coins are far better from the top and sides. Swaddling is a more obviously stretched shell with the faces (I have all three sizes) are a bit shallow or thinned in width. I prefer Lassen with the edge and have never been caught. This is too subtle. I give Swadling and Mason credit for their deep dishes but I just don't see the need and the face is more important than the coverage. ALSO - the Disadvantage is there is no "extra bottom" to hold on to so a classic palm of the Swadling can drop the contents where that won't happen with Lassen. Hope this helps other readers.