(Close Window)
Topic: The Passing Of Robin Williams
It's with great sorrow to find that we lost a greet actor and comedian today of an apparent suicide. RIP Robin!
Such sad news, without a doubt one of my favorite actors and comedians. He will be missed by many.
I was shocked to hear of this. May he rest in peace.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Aug 11, 2014 06:59PM)
Http://www.marinsheriff.org/uploads/854.pdf

some advice on how to spread such news (if you truly must)
Http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00031539.htm
RIP Robin; you gave us so much. Nanu Nanu.
Wow, what a shock that was. It 's so sad.
I am not shocked. I am saddened but shocked I sadly am not. Way too many have gone down this road either quickly or slowly as he did. Often the pain that drives one to greatness is the very thing that is the root cause here. John Candy, Richard Jenny, Belushi, Farley and a crowded list of famous and not so famous have had this affliction. Comedy can be a sad business.
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Aug 11, 2014 07:42PM)
Not usually a fan of doing this but ... to remember those guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDJjq0Pd0RM
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NqEKvk9F4I
Http://instagram.com/p/qu5BFgqu4R/

"therobinwilliams - 3 weeks ago - Happy Birthday to me! A visit from one of my favorite leading ladies, Crystal."

[img]http://photos-a.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xaf1/10570189_1484822441759544_1162837298_n.jpg[/img]
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Aug 11, 2014 07:48PM)
We get one more

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2692250/
[quote]On Aug 11, 2014, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
We get one more

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2692250/ [/quote]
Actually, looks like we get several more:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000245/
He was my hero since I was 8 good bye Robin.
"'You look at the world and see how scary it can be sometimes and still try to deal with the fear," he told the AP in 1989. "Comedy can deal with the fear and still not paralyze you or tell you that it's going away. You say, OK, you got certain choices here, you can laugh at them and then once you've laughed at them and you have expunged the demon, now you can deal with them. That's what I do when I do my act.'"

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/robin-williams-dead-in-apparent-suicide-at-63-1.2733770

As Danny said, I am not shocked by this at all. It's the nature of the disease. It may seem paradoxical, but I think that's because people tend not to really look beyond the surface. Robin obviously was a man who thought about things, whose mind worked overtime even, perhaps. Those who have seen the dark tend to have an appreciation for the light.

It's too bad that society is still so afraid of mental diseases and struggles. It's getting better, but the stigma is still huge.
I'm sorry he was suffering so.

And Robin, I hope I haven't offended you with my psychoanalysis, LOVE and PEACE to you and to your family and friends and those who appreciated you. We'll remember you. Perhaps Mork is part of the reason my favorite Scrooge scene entails, "I must stand on my head... I MUST stand on my head!"
Why would somebody who as so loved, admired and successful choose to end his own life? That's crazy! I mean, wasn't there anybody to keep an eye on him and make sure he was going to be alright?
I don't think that anyone thought there was a pressing need to keep an eye on him.
It just goes to show that some problems are far more serious than what they might seem or appear to others. You know, you just kinda felt somebody should have been around to make sure he was going to be OK. I guess I am lucky in that regard that my family makes sure I am OK. My wife is awesome in that regard. Yet, here is Robin Williams who is loved and admired and has nobody to look out for him. What is this world coming to?
General, a disease that turns one against himself is a dangerous one, indeed. He's the only one who's there 24/7/365. No one else can match that.
Lots of us go through life without anyone to look after us 24/7. I certainly don't want a "keeper" to look after me.
Even a keeper couldn't guarantee his survival. Why look to blame someone, General?
It is a disease. Blame and judgment have no place here. Neither does ignorance. Please refrain general. You seem to understand little of the demons which are involved.

I have lost more friends than I care to remember to this demon. It has many faces and the very nature of it causes one not to seek help and to act in ways that are self destructive. Please refrain from nonsensical posts such as "that's crazy".
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Aug 11, 2014 10:22PM)
@DD folks would understand more or perhaps better after reading the cdc item linked

Bad news can be contagious.
[quote]On Aug 11, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
It just goes to show that some problems are far more serious than what they might seem or appear to others. You know, you just kinda felt somebody should have been around to make sure he was going to be OK. I guess I am lucky in that regard that my family makes sure I am OK. My wife is awesome in that regard. Yet, here is Robin Williams who is loved and admired and has nobody to look out for him. What is this world coming to? [/quote]

My wife had a friend in the theater group she belonged to. He was known to have fits of depression over the direction of his career and everyone had certain "trigger moments" when they knew they should watch out for him. One night, he was up, buoyant and happy about a couple of projects he had coming up. At the end of the night, he mentioned he was tired and didn't want to "party" with the rest of the crew so my wife suggested he go home and get some sleep. He went home and hanged himself! It took my wife MONTHS to get over the guilt of not having stayed with him and held his hand. I finally convinced her that there was nothing there to suggest that he was in a "dangerous place" and she had nothing to feel guilty about.

Same with whoever was staying with Robin Williams at this time (wife, friend, whatever) There comes a point when someone will do something like this and sometimes there's nothing there to warn people.

Whoever this person was, he/she has no reason to feel guilty.
I just woke up to this...

No... No... :no:

I don't want to believe this... :no:
I just woke up to this...

No... No... :no:

I don't want to believe this... :no:
Message: Posted by: Daryl -the other brother (Aug 11, 2014 11:32PM)
"There's some sad things known to man, but ain't too much sadder than the tears of a clown when there's no one around". - Smokey Robison
RIP Robin
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Combs]Ray Combs[/url]
Good night sweet Prince... And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!

:no:
Good night sweet Prince... And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest!

:no:
Yeah it is a shame but I am not surpised either, celebrities live a hectic lifestyle and it is not as glamorous as it looks. When you have that much money and fame it takes a toll on you, especially after being taken by a lot of gold diggers. With their high octane lifestyles comes a lot of stress, pressure and demand so it not surprising that they fall into addiction and other problems. Some sooner some later. Being a comedian, being wealthy, and being famous does not necessarily mean you are happy. Some are happy just to be alive. Some deal with it all the stress well others don't. It is what it is.
[quote]On Aug 11, 2014, General_Magician wrote:
Why would somebody who as so loved, admired and successful choose to end his own life? That's crazy! I mean, wasn't there anybody to keep an eye on him and make sure he was going to be alright? [/quote]

Hindsight is 20/20.
He gave all of the happiness and joy he had to other people. I just wish he had saved a little for himself.

Farewell Dear Sir... :(
RW on addiction and comedy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyctIk4YwZk
[quote]On Aug 12, 2014, magicalaurie wrote:
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Combs]Ray Combs[/url] [/quote]
I went to high school with Ray and played in the pit orchestra for 2 musicals he was in. Never a single outward sign that he was hurting. Everyone in our hometown was shocked at his passing.
Yes, it is sad that Robin Williams passed away. My sympathy as to how he chose to pass away is much less. Many people without the talent and resources that was available to him face their demons everyday and most struggle through them. The largest share of my grief is focused on mental illness and not just on this individual or those celebrities that chose a similar path of destruction. I am more sympathetic towards the hundreds of thousands of individuals faced with a life threatening illness that was not of their choosing and whom would much prefer life over death but do not have the luxury of choice.

Of concern:

One suicide can inspire other people to view suicide as an option.

Suicide takes the lives of nearly 30,000 Americans every year.

An average of one person dies by suicide every 16.2 minutes

Why does it take a celebrity to make us come together to face an issue and then quickly forget it until the next celebrity dies in similar circumstances?
Robin Williams was not alone or unique in his struggle with darkness. Every artist, entertainer, creative person you know struggles with profound highs and lows. 
We get affirmation and love from complete strangers who elevate us to godhood when we are in front of them. But the crash when that love and affirmation is not present is a devastating feeling. Nothing is more damaging emotionally to be on a stage high only to come home and be the faceless schlub who has to do the dishes and take out the trash. It is even worse for those who also have to work a day job. Sitting in a cube often feels like being imprisoned and compounds the low. Nobody gives you love and affirmation in Corporate America.
Whatís worse is that the people who are closest to us, who we need love and affirmation from the most canít give it to us in the way that complete strangers do. We think these are the first people we should expect this from and when reality hits, it hits hard.
Even worse is that creativity in all forms comes with self loathing. We canít ďloveĒ ourselves like we need to be loved. We hate ourselves and need someone outside ourselves to lift us up.
In addition to the highs and lows, and the self loathing is fear. Fear of aging. Fear of no longer being relevant. Fear that you will never be as good as you once were - that perfection is out of your reach and that even your best work was never good enough.

It is a drug. It is brutal. It can crush you.

Before you start rolling your eyes at your ďartsyĒ friend who seems to have drama follow them around, go give them a hug, a kiss, tell them you love them and they are the sun and the moon. Thatís all they want. Thatís all we need.
Lock MY thread?! I reported it first.
[quote]On Aug 12, 2014, slowkneenuh wrote:
Yes, it is sad that Robin Williams passed away. My sympathy as to how he chose to pass away is much less. Many people without the talent and resources that was available to him face their demons everyday and most struggle through them. The largest share of my grief is focused on mental illness and not just on this individual or those celebrities that chose a similar path of destruction. I am more sympathetic towards the hundreds of thousands of individuals faced with a life threatening illness that was not of their choosing and whom would much prefer life over death but do not have the luxury of choice.

Of concern:

Why does it take a celebrity to make us come together to face an issue and then quickly forget it until the next celebrity dies in similar circumstances? [/quote]

This *is* a life-threatening illness, and to base sympathy on one category of deaths being "not of their choosing" is very short-sighted. To boil it down to "choice" is unbelieveable.

To them, their emotional state literally brings them to the point where there *is* no choice. They come to the point where they can do no other.

For many, depression is not temporary. It is probably something they have lived with for years, and have come to the conclusion (many after ongoing counseling, ongoing meds, ongoing etc...) that it is permanent.

It not something that someone just eventually finds a solution for if he/she tries hard enough or thinks about it hard enough. It is a pain and turmoil that stays with you - you know it will be there tomorrow, next month and next year, because it has been for the past 5...10...20 years (or more) and you've come to the conclusion that no matter what you do, it will always be there. You've lived with it for so many years that you've given up hope, and it is so bad - get this - that when you decide to end it, it is because *you have become emotionally capable of no other action*.

Some would much prefer to die of cancer than live in their state. Do you honestly think they wouldn't prefer life over death???

I don't suffer from it, but a very close relative does, I've known her for about 25 years. It can destroy the person, it can destroy relationships.

I feel sorry for Robin. For all the love directed his way and success he found, depression eventually came to outweigh it all.

To boil it down to "choice" is accurate only if you understand that it becomes the only choice they are capable of making. For me, that is an end that is deserving of as much sympathy as that related to any physical disease.
[quote]On Aug 12, 2014, giobbi1 wrote:
[quote]On Aug 12, 2014, magicalaurie wrote:
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Combs]Ray Combs[/url] [/quote]
I went to high school with Ray and played in the pit orchestra for 2 musicals he was in. Never a single outward sign that he was hurting. Everyone in our hometown was shocked at his passing. [/quote]

Thankyou very much for commenting, giobbi1. Ray was absolutely fantastic on Family Feud. My mother was a fan and my sister and I always enjoyed watching him, too. Bright light. I was quite upset upon hearing of his death. Very sorry that he, too, like many others, was suffering so. I don't think Robin would mind if I put up a couple of clips. On reading the comments he was said to have made during the last fast money round, I wondered how he might have pulled that off- I don't remember whether I saw it at the time or not, but viewing it now, I see that he, naturally, delivered it quite beautifully without any malice inflicted whatsoever- quite a feat, I'm not surprised- the guy was lovely. We were lucky to have him and I appreciate the small amount of his work I got to see. Brilliant, indeed.

[youtube]eKJxAfanSBU[/youtube]
[quote]On Aug 12, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Lock MY thread?! I reported it first. [/quote]

Probably because the title is not quite as sensitive.
Unfortunately, no euphemism will bring him back.
Slowkneenuh, the part you're missing, I think, is that Robin Williams was a human being just like the rest of us. Talent and resources can be overwhelmed by disease. As I said earlier, this disease sets one against oneself and that can become an extremely deep hole to climb out of while shouldering an enormous weight, no matter your talent or resources. The choice becomes distorted. One feels unworthy of life. The nature of the disease leads to self destruction. It can be overcome. But the suffering of those who succumb should never be underestimated and your comment here indicates a dangerous ignorance that only fuels the stigma tossed upon the ill only because they have a mental/emotional illness. It is a biological illness, as other physical illnesses are. Mind and body aren't separate. The spirit can overcome, and the spirit can be discouraged. Understand the damage your lack of awareness and compassion can contribute to one who's already down. Hate hurts, even if the one it's tossed on recognizes the source. The fact that one makes little to no effort to understand another but instead expends energy on hate causes pain, especially to one who's empathetic to others, as Robin clearly was.
[quote]On Aug 12, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Lock MY thread?! I reported it first. [/quote]

LOL
It is just so sad.

"Popeye" is my favorite memory of Robin Williams but we do own the whole Mork and Mindy Series.

Having known and knowing some who have problems with depression, I can tell you that this is not of one's choosing.

That said, it is important to try and keep positive and seek help when it gets worse.

-Mary Mowder
[quote]On Aug 12, 2014, slowkneenuh wrote:

Of concern:

Why does it take a celebrity to make us come together to face an issue and then quickly forget it until the next celebrity dies in similar circumstances? [/quote]
:applause: :applause:
Slowneenuh- If you think clinical depression isn't a life threatening illness, you are sadly mistaken. There are demonstrable chemical differences in the brains of the severely depressed. It's simply wrong to dismissively assert that people who are suffering from depression have "the luxury of choice."

One of the reasons that people don't seek help for depression is because of the stigma still attached to mental illness.

Your post simply reinforces that stigma.
Possibly you may want to re-read my post. It is sad, but the real anguish to be delivered is not Robin Williams' suicide, but mental health in total or life threatening disease forced on the innocents. I have performed much magic in a mental health unit of a hospital behind locked doors with the poor souls and witnessed their anguish and the despair of their loved ones. Routinely I performed at a Veterans Home where almost half the population had to be kept behind locked doors and saw a shell of what they had been or achieved in real life knowing full well the sacrifices they made for our country. I participate or sponsor events by A Wish Come True for terminally ill children, Special Olympics, and perform magic at the cancer Relay For Life.

I know mental and physical suffering and I weep inside when I see the innocents suffer. But I am sick and tired of hearing about the poor celebrities who pass away and many times of their own choosing. Yes they had a choice just as you and I had choices. Nobody forced them to go down certain paths, or to start the use of drugs or alcohol to excess, or to seek fame knowing that someday it would fade away.

Yes, it is sad but my real tears will be shed for others.
I had the opportunity to meet with him when I was in Afghanistan. When he came to visit, he heard about the "Soldier" who performed magic in the hospital during his down time and asked to meet him. During his visit, I had the very fortunate opportunity to spend an entire day with him. We had lunch and dinner together, and he sat in the audience as I performed a show for the hospital wing that took care of the wounded Afghan children. Afterwards he just sat there and cried, and went to the hospital beds and kissed each child on the head. There was no media or cameras, just a true genuine moment. He has always been a favorite of mine. We weren't huge fans of his new show, but our t.v.'s were always tuned in to help with the ratings. He is truly a legend and will be missed.
Slowkeenuh- Your lack of compassion or any understanding of depression or addiction is amazing. It's NOT A CHOICE. And it's sad that you feel the need to diminish Mr. Williams on a memorial thread.
Alright I give up! It's certainly not my lack of compassion or an intent to diminish Mr. Williams at all or on this thread in particular. It must be my communication skills. (However, I do believe it is a choice made when you decide to try it, continue to do it knowing the risks, and ultimately becoming addicted where choices may no longer be an option).
[quote]On Aug 13, 2014, slowkneenuh wrote:
Possibly you may want to re-read my post. It is sad, but the real anguish to be delivered is not Robin Williams' suicide, but mental health in total or life threatening disease forced on the innocents. I have performed much magic in a mental health unit of a hospital behind locked doors with the poor souls and witnessed their anguish and the despair of their loved ones. Routinely I performed at a Veterans Home where almost half the population had to be kept behind locked doors and saw a shell of what they had been or achieved in real life knowing full well the sacrifices they made for our country. I participate or sponsor events by A Wish Come True for terminally ill children, Special Olympics, and perform magic at the cancer Relay For Life.

I know mental and physical suffering and I weep inside when I see the innocents suffer. But I am sick and tired of hearing about the poor celebrities who pass away and many times of their own choosing. Yes they had a choice just as you and I had choices. Nobody forced them to go down certain paths, or to start the use of drugs or alcohol to excess, or to seek fame knowing that someday it would fade away.

Yes, it is sad but my real tears will be shed for others. [/quote]

Your post suggests that you believe that depression is a result of addiction, when in fact, to an extent, it's often if anything the other way around - many people with undiagnosed (clinical) depression turn to alcohol or drugs in an effort to self-medicate.

It's not the "fading away" of fame, or excessive drug or alcohol use; it's brain chemistry.
[quote]On Aug 13, 2014, w_s_anderson wrote:
I had the opportunity to meet with him when I was in Afghanistan. When he came to visit, he heard about the "Soldier" who performed magic in the hospital during his down time and asked to meet him. During his visit, I had the very fortunate opportunity to spend an entire day with him. We had lunch and dinner together, and he sat in the audience as I performed a show for the hospital wing that took care of the wounded Afghan children. Afterwards he just sat there and cried, and went to the hospital beds and kissed each child on the head. There was no media or cameras, just a true genuine moment. He has always been a favorite of mine. We weren't huge fans of his new show, but our t.v.'s were always tuned in to help with the ratings. He is truly a legend and will be missed. [/quote]

Thank you for the story.

Regarding depression and suicide being a "choice": no comment.
And just when I thought that Rush Limbaugh couldn't possibly get any lower, he has to say this about Robin Williams:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/12/rush-limbaugh-robin-williams_n_5673626.html
The most deadliest and serious wounds can't be seen and are not physical. It's the mental wounds that are the most under-estimated and worst of all.
Koko mourns the loss of his friend, Robin Williams...

(article contains video clip)
http://www.today.com/pets/robin-williams-mourned-koko-gorilla-1D80056867

Ron
Thanks for the story w_s_ (William if I remember correctly?) Hugely enlightening as to Williams's character.

Words from his family:
http://uproxx.com/tv/2014/08/robin-williams-daughter-zelda-writes-a-heartbreaking-letter-about-her-fathers-passing/
[quote]On Aug 13, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
And just when I thought that Rush Limbaugh couldn't possibly get any lower, he has to say this about Robin Williams:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/12/rush-limbaugh-robin-williams_n_5673626.html [/quote]

I don't believe that for one moment.
[img]http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx216/helimagic/robinwilliams.jpg[/img]

Thanks Stone and Landmark, I will never forget that day, it was truly one of the highlights of my life. When he showed up he went to the base PA system and went into a "GOOOOOOOOOOOD MORNING Baghram Afghanistan" bit. We had no clue he was there and were just sitting around our tent remarking about how "Good" this guy was and that how closely he sounded like Robin. Now imagine our surprise when not more than 10 minutes later the flaps to our tent fly open and in walks Mr. Williams marching back and forth in our tent pretending to be our Sergeant Major talking smack and knocking our thing over. It was hilarious and an honor to get a private performance from one of the greatest entertainers who ever lived.
Wow. I really have a hard time reading some of this crap.

All I am going to say is depression is like any other disease. No stigma attached. Somehow it has one. The disease itself stops one from seeking treatment. It also tends to draw people to self destructive behavior and to self medicate.

It is not just "feeling bad" or gloomy because of a single event. If you have not had it or known someone who has it is almost impossible to understand. Do more research. Ignorant posts do not help further the cause of prevention.
[img]http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx216/helimagic/robinwilliams.jpg[/img]

Thanks Stone and Landmark, I will never forget that day, it was truly one of the highlights of my life. When he showed up he went to the base PA system and went into a "GOOOOOOOOOOOD MORNING Baghram Afghanistan" bit. We had no clue he was there and were just sitting around our tent remarking about how "Good" this guy was and that how closely he sounded like Robin. Now imagine our surprise when not more than 10 minutes later the flaps to our tent fly open and in walks Mr. Williams marching back and forth in our tent pretending to be our Sergeant Major talking smack and knocking our thing over. It was hilarious and an honor to get a private performance from one of the greatest entertainers who ever lived. [/quote]

That's an awesome picture Anderson. He looks like he fits right in with the troops. It must have been really cool and awesome to meet Robin Williams. What did he say to you before and after the photo op if you don't mind me asking?
[quote]On Aug 13, 2014, rockwall wrote:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/12/rush-limbaugh-robin-williams_n_5673626.html [/quote]

I don't believe that for one moment. [/quote]

Then listen to Limbaugh saying it himself-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNQFa9AM5MI

You'll find that the article I cited is completely accurate, regarding both what Limbaugh and Fox news stated.
Do you really want to turn this thread in this direction?
Bob really. Anything to further an agenda? Come on. What do the Koch brothers say?
I just think it's disgusting that Limbaugh and Fox have made the comments they made about Robin Williams.
Yes, but let's not put the soap box on top of the coffin.

Time and place kind of thing...
Brian- You're right. What he said isn't even worthy of comment and deserved no response at all.
Just stayed focused on the good and remember the good Bob. You'll always have some loud mouth pop off in times like these. They will just make you mad if you pay attention to them.
We talked a lot about the state of the war at that time. (keep in mind that during my first tour in 2002 we had less than 12,500 troops in the entire country) We chatted about life in the entertainment business, he didn't recommend it....lol. He asked to hear my dirtiest jokes.....and was quite impressed! :) Then we ate "T-Rats" Lasagna. Afterwards we went to the hospital and I got to give him a tour of the CSH, or Combat Support Hospital (called a "CASH").

I remember him walking into the kids ward and having to leave to gain composure. I said we didn't have to go in there, and he said that he did have to. What happened next was my favorite Robin Williams moment! He walked in to see the place and the kids were pretty much motionless......then I walked in and they all started to cheer and chant "MAGIC...MAGIC..." Robin turned around and gave me this cocky look. I walked up to him put my arm around his shoulder and said....."It's ok Robin, I'm the celebrity around these parts. You can still have America." He laughed, took 5 steps back and said....."Then I guess you're on." Gesturing with his arms down, palms forward and wiggling his fingers. Fortunately the Army flight suit was loaded with pockets and I was always "fully loaded." He watched me go bedside to bedside performing small private shows for each kid. I had always tailored the effects to their injuries, making sure that regardless of the injury child could participate in making the magic happen. I always finished with doing one or two bigger tricks for the whole room. I finished with the bedside magic and started walking to the end of the room for the finale, and that is when I looked up and saw him crying. Afterwards we went back to the chow hall and ate some soupy ice cream. All the kids in the hospital were ones that we flew in and rescued, he asked about each one and I told him their story. He told me that their story is one that deserves to be heard.....Thus the final act in "Operation: Magic" is a routine based on the kids in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Here is a great video clip of him entertaining the troops back in 2007. Military tradition collides with his show.....LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD9QAAEfQEA
We talked a lot about the state of the war at that time. (keep in mind that during my first tour in 2002 we had less than 12,500 troops in the entire country) We chatted about life in the entertainment business, he didn't recommend it....lol. He asked to hear my dirtiest jokes.....and was quite impressed! :) Then we ate "T-Rats" Lasagna. Afterwards we went to the hospital and I got to give him a tour of the CSH, or Combat Support Hospital (called a "CASH").

I remember him walking into the kids ward and having to leave to gain composure. I said we didn't have to go in there, and he said that he did have to. What happened next was my favorite Robin Williams moment! He walked in to see the place and the kids were pretty much motionless......then I walked in and they all started to cheer and chant "MAGIC...MAGIC..." Robin turned around and gave me this cocky look. I walked up to him put my arm around his shoulder and said....."It's ok Robin, I'm the celebrity around these parts. You can still have America." He laughed, took 5 steps back and said....."Then I guess you're on." Gesturing with his arms down, palms forward and wiggling his fingers. Fortunately the Army flight suit was loaded with pockets and I was always "fully loaded." He watched me go bedside to bedside performing small private shows for each kid. I had always tailored the effects to their injuries, making sure that regardless of the injury child could participate in making the magic happen. I always finished with doing one or two bigger tricks for the whole room. I finished with the bedside magic and started walking to the end of the room for the finale, and that is when I looked up and saw him crying. Afterwards we went back to the chow hall and ate some soupy ice cream. All the kids in the hospital were ones that we flew in and rescued, he asked about each one and I told him their story. He told me that their story is one that deserves to be heard.....Thus the final act in "Operation: Magic" is a routine based on the kids in Afghanistan and Iraq.

Here is a great video clip of him entertaining the troops back in 2007. Military tradition collides with his show.....LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD9QAAEfQEA [/quote]

Brings back memories of reveille, standing at attention and popping a salute to Ole Glory. Robin Williams was a pretty awesome comic. It's amazing how he was able to crack a few jokes on the spot there after reveille and still be funny. That's a true comic right there now.
[quote]On Aug 13, 2014, rockwall wrote:

I don't believe that for one moment. [/quote]

Then listen to Limbaugh saying it himself-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNQFa9AM5MI

You'll find that the article I cited is completely accurate, regarding both what Limbaugh and Fox news stated. [/quote]

Lol. You completely misunderstood me. What I didn't believe for one moment was that you thought that Rush Limbaugh couldn't possibly get any lower!
Glad to hear I misunderstood you. You had me worried there for a minute.:eek:
Either side will happily get lower if that is where the money is.
I suggest here as I did early on that fear is behind the attacks on Robin Williams at this time. Fear that a mature man- who knew himself and his problems and succeeded despite them for a sustained career, had a loving family and who loved his family, had attained financial wealth, and fans around the world- could be genuinely vulnerable, ill, and die, and, at his own hand. Fear, that, despite their attempts to paint him otherwise, he was a real man. Terrifying realization that many are afraid to acknowledge, I think.

Learning is lifelong. Robin Williams had the energy to make the effort at learning. And, it seems, he was exhausted. I think that really scares people.
Depression is exhausting and it is felt physically.

But, Robin was Robin. There was only one of him. Be yourself. And let him be. Comments like those made by slowkneenuh indicate to me a fear of acknowledging the humanity of Robin. Why attack a man for his success? Has he kept you from yours? Has he asked for your "real tears"? Are you afraid to shed one for him? Is someone else asking you to? Or is that you?
Anderson, what a great story of Robin...thanks for sharing.
A vigil was held in Boulder, Colorado at "The Mork & Mindy" house...

http://www.9news.com/picture-gallery/news/local/2014/08/11/people-pay-tribute-to-robin-williams-at-mork-and-mindy-house/13934981/
Last saturday night we watched with my wife Angriest man in Brooklyn, does not have the greatest critics but we liked it.
other movies that we watched over the years, not in chronological order
Good Morning Vietnam, world greatest dad, man of the year, Mrs Doubtfire, Toys, final cut, death to smoochy, insomnia, patch adams, one hour photo, the bird cage (maybe the one I laugh the most, the dinner scene is incredible) , good will hunting (got the oscar), jumangi, Alladin, Hook, The fisher king (deserved the Oscar), awakenings, death poet society, Moscow in the Hudson, Nine month (secondary role but so funny as a russin obstetrician that only worked in baboons), dead poet society, and I could be missing one or two more.

Nanu Nanu to all
Outstanding movie in which his has a minor role but is great: Dead Again.
"Today, Williamsí widow, Susan Schneider, revealed in a statement that the late actor had been suffering from early stages of Parkinsonís Disease, but hadn't wanted to share the news with his fans yet."

"'...It is our hope in the wake of Robin's tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid.'Ē

http://www.newsweek.com/susan-schneider-robin-williams-widow-reveals-actor-had-parkinsons-disease-264705
He always looked so happy that it's hard to think of him being sad.
[quote]On Aug 14, 2014, tommy wrote:
He always looked so happy that it's hard to think of him being sad. [/quote]

:ohyes:

And that is the hardest part to reconcile, the hurt he kept from us.

The clown really did not show us his tears till the very end. :no:
I disagree,

Sometimes Robin came off as very vulnerable and sad, especially when talking about the death or maiming of friends or matters of chemical dependancy.

-Mary Mowder
You're right, Mary. The sadness was often there.
[quote]On Aug 15, 2014, Mary Mowder wrote:
I disagree,

Sometimes Robin came off as very vulnerable and sad, especially when talking about the death or maiming of friends or matters of chemical dependancy.

-Mary Mowder [/quote]

Would you expect happiness?
No,

I'm just saying that he did not always seem so happy.

-Mary
I agree, Mary. I was going to speak to this last night but thought I'd let it go as I pretty well covered it in my first post here. Do a google images search if you like, folks, take a close look at the man. Part of what people find difficult to accept here, I think, is that it [i]was[/i] right there, in front of everyone's eyes, and Robin knew it.

Like I said earlier, though, the only one who could be there 24/7/365 was himself, and he feared that, too, I think, because he knew there could be a great danger in it.
As I stated I was not shocked in the least.
Comedy and tragedy are often two sides of the same coin.
[quote]On Aug 14, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Outstanding movie in which his has a minor role but is great: Dead Again.[/quote]
Marlana and I just returned from five days in the Sierra Nevada. On the way home we stopped in Lone Pine; I got a malt, she got an ice cream cone. One of the other patrons mentioned that Robin Williams had committed suicide this week; it was the first we'd heard of it, of course.

I'm with Danny: saddened, but not altogether surprised. Three members of my immediate family suffer from mild to sever depression, so I have some experience in that arena.

I'm with you, Lobo: great role in a good movie. I love it when Derek Jacobi reverts to Claudius.
I thought he was fabulous in Dead Poets Society. But, my favorite of his movies is Bicentennial Man. Made me laugh and made me cry.
I liked "Death to Smoochy" and "The Bird Cage." I think that film is one of the few American remakes of a European film where they improved on the original. Didn't finish "Bicentennial Man," wasn't offended by it or anything, I just had to leave and never got another chance to watch it. I wonder how Isaac would have felt about it.
[quote]On Aug 15, 2014, Mary Mowder wrote:
I disagree,

-Mary Mowder [/quote]

While I agree to a certain extent, I honestly think that no one ever thought that he was so depressed that it would lead to suicide.

I believe we ALL get sad talking about friends passing and our weaknesses, I just never saw the sadness that was more than that from watching Robin through the years.

But it could just be me...
[quote]On Aug 13, 2014, Salguod Nairb wrote:
Yes, but let's not put the soap box on top of the coffin.

Time and place kind of thing... [/quote]

The soap box is already on the coffin. Fox News and Rush Limbaugh put it there!
Http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/oreilly/2014/08/13/bill-oreilly-real-story-surrounding-death-robin-williams
Well, O'Reilly showed some class. Not a big fan of his so I can't say if that's precedent setting or not. The reason -I- brought up "Fox News" is that, supposedly, Limbaugh is reading from a Fox News report. Which is doubly weaselly on his part since it lets him say all manner of terrible things and then back off on responsibility for them claiming; "Oh no! -I- didn't come up with those things. -I- was just reading from a report!"

Incidently (sp) Limbaugh/Fox News's contention that Robin was depressed because he "had to go back to television" is totally bunk as given by the fact that he has THREE movies coming out. Robin wasn't in television because his movie career was failing, he himself had said he took up a series because it was a "steady paycheck" and he needed alimony money.
Gold-diggers are actually what killed him.