(Close Window)
Topic: Which Theory Book Should I Read First?
I strongly believe theory is important, and so I have bought some of the most highly recommended books available. However, life happens and I only have so much time I can devote to reading. I have bought Strong Magic- Ortiz, Maximum Entertainment- Weber, The Magic Way- Tamariz, and The Five Points in Magic- Tamariz. Which one should be my first read and why?
Strong Magic.
Al Schneider's "Theory and Practice of Magical Deception"
I second strong magic
Personally I would go for Maximum Entertainment....assuming of course that you have some experience performing. If you haven't then I would leave the books behind (all of them) and go and perform for strangers for a while.
Darwin Ortiz's Designing Miracles is absolutely essential. Much better than Strong Magic, though that is very good as well. Though neither are really for beginners.
I would go with the Juan Tamariz books.
Strong Magic is a good one to start with, also if you can try Theory and Practice of Magical Deception, and many more.

Zak
I would go with Strong Magic
I don't think it matters. If you have already purchased all of them, just read one, take notes and apply, then repeat with the next. You're likely going to have to (and want to) read each book more than once to get the maximum benefit. Of course, performing in between reading books will yield even more fruit since you'll have empirical knowledge which can be fortified by the theory you're going to read.
Good point, Doctor.