(Close Window)
Topic: Stand up comedy
I recently started watching some stand up comedy acts on youtube and I found that there is a lot to be learned from it.
They have nothing but their microphone to entertain their crowd.

Any recommendations on good comedians? (preferably not sexist ones)
Which are your favorites?
Since you're from Germany, check out Johann Köhnich. My favourite in the german language by far. also check out Horst Evers. I highly recommend them both.

Bill Hicks is one of my favorites in the english language.
Sarah Silverman is a master of making the "scripted" seem "spontaneous." I've learned a great deal from watching her.
Whether or not you're a fan of his comedy, Jerry Seinfeld is great at making his act seem like a conversation. Every inflection, pause, glance and nuanced expression is part of the scripting. If you've ever seen 2 or more performances of his on the same tour, you will be shocked at how identical everything is, all the while making his observations appear extemporaneous.
Following on from Steven's post, I recommend watching "Comedian" a 2002 documentary on Jerry Seinfeld. A master class in the life of a performance artist.
Greg Giraldo, Mitch Hedberg, Dane Cook
Message: Posted by: Harry the magic man (Aug 30, 2014 01:24PM)
Jim Gaffigan. Mike Birbiglia is great at coming full circle and is a brilliant story teller.
Best wishes,
Harry
Bill Hicks, for definite. And Rich Hall.

For a very smooth, polished professional act, try Michael McIntyre and Jim Carr. Not my favourites, but consummate professionals.
Message: Posted by: illusions & reality (Aug 30, 2014 08:50PM)
Our favorite is Brian Regan. He is a master of clean comedy and the consummate professional. We just saw him live and laughed so hard that our throats hurt the next day!

He received a spontaneous standing ovation from the audience of 2,000+.

Lou
Learn from them all... :ohyes:
[quote]On Aug 30, 2014, sandsjr wrote:
Greg Giraldo, Mitch Hedberg, Dane Cook [/quote]

Dane Cook?! He asked for comedians.

You should be punished for even using Dane Cook's name in the same sentence as Hedberg!! lol
Easy dude. Don't I get some credits for mentioning Hedberg and Giraldo?
[quote]On Aug 30, 2014, ddyment wrote:
Following on from Steven's post, I recommend watching "Comedian" a 2002 documentary on Jerry Seinfeld. A master class in the life of a performance artist. [/quote]

I also enjoyed "Comedian".

Another interesting documentary is "Heckler". You can see a description from Wikipedia here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%28film%29