(Close Window)
Topic: Amazon question
A lot of times, when I look for a book, under "other buying options," there will be used copies available, sometimes for pennies. Just tonight, I ordered one for a penny. From stores, even, not just individuals. What's the deal? Who bothers to sell a book for a penny? Shipping was $4.00... Are they going to send it media mail for $2.50 and that's the plan? Make a couple of bucks on the shipping?
They lose money on each sale, but they make it up in volume.
Landmark- How does that work? If you lose money on each sale, how do you get a profit on volume? Seems to me you'd have to be making money on some sales, at least.
It was a joke :)
[quote]On Sep 4, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
A lot of times, when I look for a book, under "other buying options," there will be used copies available, sometimes for pennies. Just tonight, I ordered one for a penny. From stores, even, not just individuals. What's the deal? Who bothers to sell a book for a penny? Shipping was $4.00... Are they going to send it media mail for $2.50 and that's the plan? Make a couple of bucks on the shipping? [/quote]
I always assumed the profit was hidden in the shipping charges.
[quote]On Sep 5, 2014, balducci wrote:
[quote]On Sep 4, 2014, LobowolfXXX wrote:
A lot of times, when I look for a book, under "other buying options," there will be used copies available, sometimes for pennies. Just tonight, I ordered one for a penny. From stores, even, not just individuals. What's the deal? Who bothers to sell a book for a penny? Shipping was $4.00... Are they going to send it media mail for $2.50 and that's the plan? Make a couple of bucks on the shipping? [/quote]
I always assumed the profit was hidden in the shipping charges. [/quote]

I suppose so. When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains etc etc. hard to imagine with the time to list the book and pack it, the actual shipping cost to the seller, the cost of the packing envelope...all to make the profit leftover from $4.00?
It's probably an older book that had a very large print run that didn't sell. It's like when you go to a book store and find hardbacks in a bin for a buck.
I have bought some books from abebooks.com that were sent from the UK to Canada for under $10, total cost. I think that these sellers buy estate lots and library discards, reducing their unit costs to pennies (or less). Once the valuable books are sold, the rest can be sold for whatever tiny markup comes from shipping, presumably.
Could be a "loss leader". They offer to sell books at minimsl or no profit, or even at a loss, in hopes you'll buy additional items.
[quote]On Sep 4, 2014, landmark wrote:
It was a joke :) [/quote]

I was hoping that was the case. But I've seen stranger statements around here that were made in all seriousness. :eek: