(Close Window)
Topic: Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Vol. 1
Hi,

Someone told me that an updated version of Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy (Vol. 1) will be released again. Do anyone know when it will be released and how its different from the older edition/version?

Thanks!
Hi Shakuni-

I'm not sure when the publisher is going to release this, but it is in the works. Note that it is simply a second edition, as the first is now out of print. The major changes will be cosmetic, to match the quality and format of the second volume. There are minor corrections to the text and changes in layout, but the contents are essentially unchanged from the first edition with the exception of a new introduction.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Hi Sir, Thanks a lot for update!
Dear Bob,

[quote]On Sep 10, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
I'm not sure when the publisher is going to release this, but it is in the works.[/quote]

Happy to read this!
I'd like to express my anticipation for this re-release. I am looking forward to it and hope it'll fit the layout of Vol. 2 nicely!

Regards,
Thomas
Maybe this would be a grand opportunity to retitle the books...

The Art*** Mentalism titles are already way confusing -- Is this the Collectors Workshop one? Read volume 2 first! etc -- so what's to lose?!
No. The two Artful Mentalism books are published by H&R Magic Books. The only title that Collectors Workshop has is the now out of print, "The Art of Mentalism," published in 1982.

"The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy" books are compilations. The contents of both books are unrelated. That's why it doesn't matter which one is read first. The only reason that I recommend Volume 2 first is for the benefit of those just getting into mentalism because it contains the complete text of "Fundamentals." There will be a Volume 3 next year, but I will probably call that Volume 7 just to further confuse people. :eek:
Volume 7. LOL
You could go with Vol 3&1/2 , I'll still buy it lol
[quote]On Sep 10, 2014, johne wrote:
Volume 7. LOL [/quote]

If it could come with a "Certificate of Authenticity" dated 2019, that would be a great enhancement and I surely want to be on the pre-order list...well before then...!
Such great news, Bob! Looking forward to it.
Glad I found this, I was trying to hunt down a copy, but I can just wait now.
Put me down for both #1 and #3 as soon as they are released!...But only if they include a package of a re-orderable stack of your recommended billet papers (just kidding...on the billets...ha, ha)! :coolspot:
[quote]On Sep 10, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
There will be a Volume 3 next year, but I will probably call that Volume 7 just to further confuse people. :eek: [/quote]

LOL

I love it Bob - a kind of Star Wars numbering system, it worked for George Lucas. Release 1, then 2, then 1 again, jump to 7 "Return of the Mentalist", release 2 on Blu-ray, box set of 2 and 7 together with a limited edition NW and foreword by JJ Abrahms and then release 3 "The Mentalist Strikes Back" in High Definintion, re-release the whole lot with a new cover and sell it all to Disney.

Genius!
This IS great news! I am saving for BOTH "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy" books. I feel this is where I want to start. Bob is not the only one, I know. But, I feel he best fits my needs. Thank you, Bob! :)

Doug
Doug,

Just for the record (to make sure you know)...the Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy Vol 2 is already out and can pick it up many places online.

Its the reprint of Artful Mentalism Vol 1 that everyone is waiting on. Just wanted to make sure you knew so that you weren't confused.

Also, many (including myself and Bob Cassidy) recommend starting with Vol 2.

Best purchase I've ever made in mentalism.

Best,
Matthew
I have a OOP Artful....and is in the top three books I own,and #1 out of the mentalism books I own(got it years ago).
,I totally agree with Bob about The Amateur Magicians Handbook,as well as other things of course...
Steve
Thank you Matthew! I will pick up vol 2 first! :)

Doug
Oddly enough, the paper used in Artful 2 is one of the few things I [i]didn't[/i] like about It. The sheen on it makes it more difficult than most books to read in various conditions of light. It also made the book about five pounds heavier than it otherwise would have been with "normal" paper. No issue with the contents, but just surprised to hear that it was liked well enough to reformat Artful 1 in the same style!
The type of paper allows for extremely sharp illustrations and photographs.
H&R makes some bizarre decisions with book design. Artful Mentalism 2 has simple line drawings and few photographs, so the heavy, glossy paper serves little purpose while making the book glare-prone, difficult to handle, and more costly to produce and ship. Artful Mentalism 1 is a much easier book to handle and read.

H&R would be wiser to eschew spending their money on glossy paper and instead direct it towards hiring a capable proofreader. Artful Mentalism 2 is an invaluable book, but was plagued by misspellings. Bob Cassidy's work deserves better.
A couple slipped through, Tim, but I'd hardly say it was "plagued" by misspellings.

All in all I think that H&R did a terrific job with the book.
I must state that I like the layout of TAMoBC Vol. 2 as it is. Furthermore do I hope that they keep that exactly layout for the new edition of Volume 1 for consistency.
I too prefer the paper in AM1 but to be fair, AM2 would be worth far more than its cost even if it was printed on bog paper! A refreshing change given all the 'limited editions'

It iz da wordz not da papes wot iz important innit! :-)
I actually like the paper, seems stronger and less likely to break.
[quote]On Nov 28, 2014, MVoss wrote:
I actually like the paper, seems stronger and less likely to break. [/quote]

It reportedly has a longer shelf-life than a Twinkie!
I haven't tried it yet, but I'm wondering if you can write on the page with dry erase makers and remove it. Not sure if you can, or if that even has any use. But the idea occurred to me.
Personally I don't write in my books, I prefer to keep separate notebooks on stuff that I am working on. Or better yet keep notes and ideas on a tablet for consistent access. In fact you can share your notes across devices, so if I get a flash of brilliance I can ammend my notes right from my phone. Very convenient.

Anyway Bobs books are invaluable what ever paper their printed on.
Renzo- I've just entered into an agreement with Mr. Zig Zag to have the pages in my next book made from his own personal stock. I guarantee the book will be smokin'!
Love it Bob, lol
Haaa hahaha! ROFL! Don't bogart! ;)

Doug
Message: Posted by: MentalistCreationLab (Dec 1, 2014 12:27AM)
Bob, just a quick question since we are on the topic of your books. Decades ago you released some pamphlet sized books under the moniker of Test Conditions will those ever be released again? Preferably in print. Or did they appear some where in one of your books later and I just missed it? As I am still a huge fan of your early work's.

Thanks

Bill
Bill

It was my first commercial effect released to the mentalism community and was originally called "Laboratory Conditions." The small booklet you're referring to came out later and was called "Test Conditions." It's presently available as an eBook:

http://www.lybrary.com/laboratory-conditions-p-582.html

It remains one of my favorite creations. (Orson Welles was one of the first to purchase the original version.)

There is a brief history of the effect provided in the ad.
Do we have an update on release date? Thanks.
You'll know when I do. It's not up to me, it's up to the publisher, to whom we've already submitted updates, new drawings, and corrections to the original.

I'm looking forward to seeing a copy myself. :eek:
Hi Sir, Thanks for the update.

Regards
[quote]On Mar 6, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
You'll know when I do. It's not up to me, it's up to the publisher, to whom we've already submitted updates, new drawings, and corrections to the original.

I'm looking forward to seeing a copy myself. :eek: [/quote]

That sounds fantastic. I haven't read the original volume, so this would be lovely!
Looks nice, but what is the point of the envelope? doesn't seem to fit in the routine.

Regards,
Mike

[quote]On Dec 1, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
Bill

It was my first commercial effect released to the mentalism community and was originally called "Laboratory Conditions." The small booklet you're referring to came out later and was called "Test Conditions." It's presently available as an eBook:

http://www.lybrary.com/laboratory-conditions-p-582.html

It remains one of my favorite creations. (Orson Welles was one of the first to purchase the original version.)

There is a brief history of the effect provided in the ad. [/quote]
The clue is in the title of the effect.
[quote]On Dec 1, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
(Orson Welles was one of the first to purchase the original version.)

[/quote]

As if we needed any more reasons to know just how cool you are, Bob.
[quote]On Mar 6, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:

I'm looking forward to seeing a copy myself. :eek: [/quote]
Unfortunately, volume one is only in the plans of Bob and myself. The publisher sees it differently. We have done some preliminary work on it, but I doubt it will be released this year.

As a consolation, though, the publisher has given the green light to ready THE ARTFUL MENTALISM OF BOB CASSIDY VOLUME 26. That should be released at Mindvention this year.

Okay, okay, that's a joke. Sort of. Bob has been joking for the past year and a half or so about the title of Volume 2, because so many people have insisted that they must read Volume 1 first. These are really just collections, so each stands alone quite nicely. In any case, Bob's been joking that if the next volume comes out, it will be volume 26. Really, though, it's Volume 3. For Mindvention this year. Really, truly. No joke.

Volume 3 will comprise quite a few of the e-books still not reprinted in book form. The exact list has not been finalized as I'm preparing everything and then making sure the page count is okay. We may have to hold some stuff back for that reason. Or we may have to add stuff. It's too early to say. But if there's anything that you'd really like to see in there...let us know now. And here. The work on the book will probably wrap in June/early July.

- Jheff
I plan on adding some new essays and bridge material in the next volume.
Beautiful! The only name in mentalism I buy is Cassidy. You've proven time & time again that you only put out top-notch material. This is a no-brainer.

Where'd my brain go?
I'll be spending some time with the original publishers of Vol 1 in a couple of weeks. Been friends with them for some time. I'll try to remember to chat with them about this.
In the meantime, Jheff had advised me that Richard Hatch still has copies of the first volume available.
Hi Sir, how can I contact Richard Hatch?
You can PM him. He's a member of the Café and his user name is Richard Hatch.
Thanks Sir!
For those interested, I'm offering thirty copies of the following, for a limited time only:

LIMITED NUMBER STILL AVAILABLE:

SPECIAL OFFER- The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy (Volume 1) pdf

ADDED BONUS! Order the following and get an autographed copy of the Osterlind/Cassidy Penguin lecture FREE (postpaid). Be sure to include both your email and snail mail addresses.

The hardcover version of "Artful Mentalism" has been out of print for over two years now, with no news as to a possible second printing, and many have asked if it is still possible to get a copy.

For a limited time only and only I have a limited number of pdf ebook copies available for just $45.00. (The hardback version sold for $60)

The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy (Volume 1)

247 pages

Order via Paypal to bobcassidy@rocketmail.com ($45 US)
The eBook is ready for same day delivery via email.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Just ordered, thanks!

Any possibility of Volume 2 as a PDF? I love the book but I like being able to carry my library with me on my laptop as much as possible too...
Thanks. I just sent it out to you. Vol 2 is still in print as a hard cover so, no, it is not available in pdf.
Also ordered!! Can't wait!
Hi Ed. Just sent it to you.

Best-

Bob
Remember, this is a limited offer and won't be available much longer.
[quote]On May 7, 2016, mastermindreader wrote:
Remember, this is a limited offer and won't be available much longer. [/quote]

Hi Bob,

How many copies are still available/when will this offer end?
What would the extra charge for the DVD to be sent to the UK be?

Many thanks,
Tony
I've got about a dozen DVD's left. When they are gone the offer will end (for both the DVD and the pdf).

Add $5 US for the DVD postage.

Best,

Bob
Money sent (I hope), now to trust myself not to read it until the 26th so I don't fail my masters exams.
And received. Your ebook has been sent. Screw the masters exam, read it now! :eek:
Well, since it's your advice annoyingly there isn't any real argument I can bring up to counter it.
I guess I just have to be rather rude and ignore your advice now and pay more attention to it in the near future when I read the book.
I am told that I'm often a bad influence.

Three left and that's it. Will post when offer is closed.
Am closing this offer tonight.
Is the pdf still available bob
[quote]On May 30, 2016, VIEW wrote:
Is the pdf still available bob [/quote]

pm'd you.
Any news on when the artful mentalism of Bob cassidy will printed???

Sleepy
I never bought "The Artful Mentalism" one or two because I own all the books that make them up. It has been troublesome since people refer to things and it is difficult to look them up.

That said I know the books are full of useful things. Keep putting stuff out Bob - everything I have bought from you has been useful.

Dan
Did others receive the dvd from this offer? I am still waiting, and I think three months and multiple emails is more than fair... I have emailed multiple times. Received one reply stating that it must have gotten lost in the mail and another would be sent. Nothing since... No replies to email...
Never received mine. I did e-mail Bob, but still nothing.
I did not, but I did see a message from him that there was an extra shipping fee if you wanted the DVD. I didn't send that, so I'm sure that's why.
I received mine, but I paid for the international shipping. As I understood it there was free shipping for the US though?
My email, dated May 6, 2016, says:
"Hi Ed!

Hope all is well with you.

Thank you for your order. Your copy of the Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy is attached.

I will be shipping the DVD to you at:"
(my address here)

The PDF was attached. The DVD has never arrived. No mention of other money (shipping) required.

Ed
Send Bob an email asking about it? He ran into computer trouble about that time (I ordered the pdf pretty close to when psychopath I think), it's possible that all happened and he forgot to ship it to yous?
I have emailed multiple times with weeks between... Though I would rather believe that too, I am starting to believe otherwise.