(Close Window)
Topic: the haunted bottle
Has anyone heard of this effect, i was searching through my old box of tricks and forgot i had it. What quality ideas i can come up with for a bizarre rouine.
i obviously cant tell you the workings as its not my effect but it comes from
VIKING MFG. CO
i have an address but dont know if there still around. they actually say that they have a bizarre routine for it on a piece of parchment :evilgrin:
Viking is alive and well....just gained all the mfg. rights to GEM Magic Co. and produces some excellent machined items like the Spirit Key.

I'm uncertain which "Haunted Bottle" routine you're referring to... is it the old Imp bottle or a pendulum piece???

Can't explain anything until I know which gizmo you're referring to... :confused:
its the old imp bottle,
do they have a website?
thanx
You'll have to do a search... I know they had one years ago but I've not looked them up for a while... might check with Stevens Magic and see if they would be forthcoming on that info... they carry most all of the Viking line (including the Imp Bottle)

If I'm not mistaken, it was either Max Maven or Eugene Berger that put out a very cool routine using the Imp Bottle about 15 years ago or so... might be worth looking into. I think it's in a set of lecture notes???
Viking still carrys it in black and natural colors.
Both Kenton Knepper and Docc Hilford have written routines based on this effect from old...Sign Of Fours is Docc Hilfords work and I think Impish Thoughts is Kenton's...

Just goes to show that practically ANY prop can be offered in a "Bizarre" manner...as long as you have "that look" in your eyes...
Does "Creature" live in the "Imp Bottle"?
Message: Posted by: Crossroads Mystic (Apr 27, 2005 04:14PM)
That's nice Jaz. Great idea.

Gavin D.
Actually mine is a spirit bottle where the last breath (and many believe hie eternal essence as well) is kept.
Sort of like a Canopic jar for the soul.
You can tell a full one as it will lay down upon its side whereas an empty one will not.
I keep my spirit guide Henri' in just such a container. He is the essence of a fourteenth century vintner who perished in a tragic cider press mishap.
How big is the average Imp bottle ? Mine is 1 5/8 " tall, standard Fun Inc/Royal Magic brand. Seems terrribly small to do many effects with, although a poison bottle, as in Hilford's Sign of Four, (IMPending Doom) is a great idea for it, the only reason I bought one (as well as Tel-Vision).
It was easy to eliminate a lot of the normal talk you get with Tel-vision by putting felt inside the cube, but what's a good way to kill the talk in the Imp bottle ? It's darn near impossible to get the thing in quietly. There's not much room to spare, either.
I also need to paint them - for those who are paint experts, which would you recommend that I paint them with, acyrlic, or enamel ? Does it even make a difference ?

and hey, I'm one post away from 666 posts !! What happens when I hit 666 ? Do I get access to the top-secret Hell forum ? Does my status change from "Special User" (that reminds me of the Church-Lady.. well, isn't that special ?) to "Evil User " for a bit ?
Maybe I get special powers for a day and can send anyone here I don't like to meet their un-maker.. Muahahahaaaa !! :devilish:
ph34r m3 !!
Darmoe,
I am curious about your mention of a "pendulum piece" in reference to a haunted bottle. Could you explain? I never heard of such an effect...but it sounds a little off the beaten path, and such things always arouses my curiosity.
Thanks!!!
Nicholas
I got one today and was wondering if it could be dremmeled, and like mystician I would like to find a paint that would match, and has anyone ever sent off for the parchment???
This is an old thread! One of my favorite marketed routines usung the haunted bottle (prayer vase) is Mary Tomich's 'The Vase of Modus Heiroglyphica' Many of us also used this (and other bottles) as a pendulum, hence Craig's post (if Nicholas is still wondering). Her bottle was small and shaped somewhat like an imp bottle, but was cermaic. It could function as an imp bottle as well, so it was truly a haunted bottle. ;)

Tony
If you play around with the imp bottle you will discover that you can make it lie down (or not) with no gimmick. Waldo would be mystified by this. You can also make your own bottle for bizarre work or Wizard magic from Fimo Clay or a variety of other materials available at craft stores. Build them around a toy ball magnet weight and you also have a PK version that can work other wonders.
Does anyone use this effect???
I believe the Viking Bottle mentioned was made of brass, and stood two to three inches high. Its working method is incredible. Last time I checked, they were no longer available. if this is the one you have, you are fortunate indeed!
Message: Posted by: Philemon Vanderbeck (Jun 17, 2007 04:36PM)
The Viking model I have is made of ceramic, not brass.

The method used is not the usual "slum magic" technique!
There's a nice handling, no gimmick, in "The Busch Factor". Unfortunately it won't work with the cheap flat-bottomed bottle that I bought.

Barry
Barry, add to and reshape the bottle. THis can be done with certain japanese ball bud vases available on e-bay
The Viking bottle that I have is made of wood. About 4" tall.
I ordered a viking bottle today from hank lees, hope I can find away to use it in my act. they are the only place I could find one, I guess viking quit making them for a while.
:kewl:
I hope you called first to verify they were in-stock.
Mine is a version of thayers deluxe imp bottle by viking... the paint job is not the best so I need to sand it out and repaint it. I've had a few idea's on how to 'imp' it up with some inscriptions using a dremmel.
Silvertongue, you might want to look into using a woodburning tool to "imp" it up.

Bill
[quote]
On 2007-06-18 10:19, KOTAH wrote:
Barry, add to and reshape the bottle. THis can be done with certain japanese ball bud vases available on e-bay
[/quote]

Thanks - but I can't find anything on Ebay. Could you please be a little more specific - perhaps PM me a link? I'm in the UK so postage from the US is probably going to be prohibitive.

Thanks

Barry
I've never tried this. But perhaps a creative soul such as Baba might The idea is to use a gourd shaped voo Du rattle rather than the bottle.

Kotah the derranged, and very very strange
I got mine today (vikings version) and I have to send it back. The thing lays down very easy for spectators, because of a defect. Oh well, I hope I get one back that works.
I've just released the first trick of my "Crafty Shoppe of Little Horrors" (on my site) and trick #1 is the "Bottle of the Djinn." It consists of instructions for making your own bottle(s) from craft store oven baking clay and combines the "Imp Bottle" with the "Chinese Bottle," the "Pea Can", the "Magical Block" and more, and doesn't use any of the original methods of operation, so like Aladdin's lamp, you get something new from something very old.
I bought a wooden Viking Haunted Bottle and even though I really like the looks of it (that's also why I bought it) I somehow lack to see the benefit over the old versions?
Quite on the contrary I would say that the handling for this is a lot more difficult, or am I missing something here? To add up to this I do find the explanations a little bit confusing, especially as they are not very precise about what to do when exactly??
So I would apprciate a little help here, maybe there is also a demo- and/or performance-video of this around?
OK, in the meantime I found this demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFlU23InV5g , but in this case the crucial part was less than convincing in my eyes (ok, it is a demo-video).
So, still looking for some advise/help.
That demo video is not very deceptive. There should be a reason for removing the cork from the bottle. Perhaps, remove the cork, then hand the bottle to the spectator to look inside for the genie. Even have a couple of people look inside for the genie.

The secret is an old version of the IMP bottle that can work really well. It needs a better story and handling to make it effective.