(Close Window)
Topic: Matt Mello New Release
Matt Mello has a new release coming out soon! It's called "The Imaginary Object."

Matt shared the idea with me a couple of months ago. The first effect he showed me went something like this:

A spectator stands beside a magician on stage. The spectator's eyes are closed. The magician shows his clearly empty hand, reaches into the air, grabs nothing, and puts nothing into the spectator's hand. But he tells the spectator that he is actually putting something into her hand. He asks her a series of questions about the imaginary object in her hand. Questions like: Large or small? Light or heavy? Round or sharp? and so on. Eventually the spectator describes a cork to the audience. The spectator's hand is shown to be empty, and a prediction is seen. It is an envelope that has been in view the entire time. There seems to be a bulge within. The spectator opens the envelope and behold, there is a cork from a wine bottle! The spectator somehow intuits what object is predicted beforehand! Can also be demonstrated as a PK effect, where one person holds the real cork as another person ‘feels’ it.

This was the first effect and it was great! About a month later, Matt sent me another idea along the same imaginary object premise. This effect is as such:
A spectator stands on stage beside the magician. Within seconds, she is acting like a zombie under the magician's command. She is asked to take off her shoes and empty her pockets. She then closes her eyes. The magician has the woman imagine that he is holding a mouse at his finger tips (He holds nothing.) He then tells her he is placing the mouse into one of her shoes. (He places nothing.) He then has the woman slip her shoes back on. When she has her foot half way in the shoe, she screams and shakes the shoe off her foot saying she felt something moving inside! The magician calmly reaches into the shoe to remove the "mouse." His hand comes out completely empty, holding an imaginary mouse by its tail. She now tries to slip her shoe on and is met with a triumphant victory. You can also have them imagine a rock in their shoe, if a mouse isn't your style. They will genuinely feel discomfort putting on their shoe!

Those of you here know that I am a huge fan of Matt's work. He always takes something so elementary and turns it into something phenomenal. This is no different. This uses an extremely simple gimmick to play extremely huge. It's such a unique use for the gimmick. I've never seen anything like it. I haven't had a chance to try either one of these out yet, but I really want to and will soon! This can be done on stage or close up for friends. Matt provides some great additional ideas. Including making the shoe effect into a prediction. There's absolutely no hypnosis or psychology at work here. It will work 100% of the time. Matt also has a VERY nice patter for the cork effect. It appears to use suggestion to force the spectator into thinking of a cork. It is a very nice idea indeed. I will use this presentation if I use that effect in one of my shows.

Over all, I think this is fantastic! Again, for $5, it's hard to not love it. It's very simple and a very direct method, but I think it has the potential to fool even the most astute audiences.

Great work as always Matt!
I just want to thank Matt for keeping his prices down. Tough economic times...it's nice to treat myself and not break the bank. Thx Matt!
Thanks, man! The Imaginary Object is available through myself for $5, sent to mattmello88@gmail.com through paypal. The PDF length is 14 pages.

Any non-exposure questions can be asked openly here, and anything else can either be sent via email or PM!

Matt
Good work! From the description I began to get an idea. After reading "The Imaginary Object" in its entirety I am very pleased with my small investment. So bold I will probably have a very hard time keeping a straight face while performing. The zombie bit alone is timely and well worth $5. Matt...you are on an amazing roll. Thank You
Thanks, Kevin! As you say, it's hard not to laugh while using this concept. It's always fun being bold in performance!
It would be nice to hear a review from someone who has tried this a few times. Sounds exciting but we can read the description anywhere.
Yeah Matt not only continues to produce working routines for 5$ but they are also all unique in premise, something very rare these days in mentalism.
Will grab a copy later...cork/rock sounds interesting..
I perform Francis Menotti's Vivid a lot as the spectator really does tell you everything about the object.
The strength of Vivid is how the volunteer fills in the gaps and they're as amazed as everybody else, including the magician.
In performance does The Imaginary Object play strong for the volunteer too?

I loved imaginary ball. I bought that and plan to use it.

Joel.
Hi Joel,

Thanks for your interest in this! The Imaginary Object is very similar to The Imaginary Ball. Not in effect or method, but in the experience that the participant has. When they open their eyes, and everyone starts talking about what they witnessed, your spectator will have no idea how they did what they did. The more they talk about it, the more amazing it gets!

Matt
Just ordered. Sounds like a fun routine. I also have Matt's Imaginary Ball routine which is very good.

Michael
I will never regret buying this idea that Matt created!

Wow GENIUS :)

My $5 best purchase ever!!!
Just read it and it sounds great! I'm gonna try it out tonight.
Brilliant once more Matt. This may well be my favourite Mello effect yet!

So, so clever use of a timeless gimmick. But the simplicity makes it not about the prop or method, but all about the experience you will leave the spectators with. It is a cast iron method provided the spectators follow your directions, but I guess this is a risk you take with most effects.

A solid 10/10 and one I will get years of fun performing, especially the weddings and banquets I tend to work.

(now to dust off the prop and put it back to work)

Chris
"The spectator's hand is shown to be empty, and a prediction is seen."

Just slightly confused, is the spectator the one holding the prediction from the beginning? From where does the prediction come?

Regards,
Mike
"The spectator's hand is shown to be empty, and a prediction is seen."

Just slightly confused, is the spectator the one holding the prediction from the beginning? From where does the prediction come?

Regards,
Mike
Hi Mike,

Sorry, I can see how that could be confusing. They aren't holding a prediction. It should have read, "The spectator's hand is shown to be empty, and then a prediction is shown."

I really don't perform it as a prediction so much as a real-time PK demonstration, one person somehow 'feeling' the real object held in another person's hand.

Matt
This is a great idea too.. my favourite section is the routine with a cork prediction. It's so simple but absolutely works.
If you like imaginary ball and the sheer simplicity then this will work for you - I'd say this is a devious worker!

Joel.
Thank you, that helps! Will be ordering!

Regards,
Mike

[quote]On Oct 3, 2014, matthewmello wrote:
Hi Mike,

Sorry, I can see how that could be confusing. They aren't holding a prediction. It should have read, "The spectator's hand is shown to be empty, and then a prediction is shown."

I really don't perform it as a prediction so much as a real-time PK demonstration, one person somehow 'feeling' the real object held in another person's hand.

Matt [/quote]
Sorry about my confusing vernacular!
Oh, don't be! Your review was very much value-adding to my knowledge about the effect. Thank you!

Regards,
Mike

[quote]On Oct 3, 2014, Magic.Maddy wrote:
Sorry about my confusing vernacular! [/quote]
Based on previous purchases from Matt, I will be picking this up too. His Imaginary Ball is wild and a real worker. If these ideas are just as clever and equally as workable I'll be extremely happy.
I bought it and once again, I really like it. Simple method, great thinking, strong presentation. I highly recommend it.
Just finished reading this and it's close to perfect: such an awesome plot and a great, simple method. One of my favourites from Matt.
Thanks, guys! Appreciate it.

The Imaginary Object is now available on Penguin, as well.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/4739
Love the imaginary object. It's even better than the imaginary ball because there will be more audience reaction. Matt really has outdone himself again with a cool, creepy ok effect with the simplicity of it being great.
I am a huge Mello fan! I bought this and once again, plot clarity and ease of execution make it a winner. Matt, you big big freak you!
James
I'm a big fan of Matt's releases and have picked up just about every ebook he has put out. I've performed several of his routines from his book in stage shows, such as Imaginary Ball and People Skills. I love this newest release Imaginary Object because it can play to any size crowd. It could be done informally or to a packed house in a theatre.

There are three routines, more or less takes on the same/similar modus operandi. The psychological flavor of the last one is great! When was the last time you could say you got 3 strong routines for $5? Until now, probably never! Thanks, Matt!

Regards,
AH
Thanks, guys! Sorry for the late response...I've been celebrating my birthday this weekend.

To answer a couple of emails I've recieved, yes, I'll be trying to get a simple video together soon. Yes, the same gimmick is used for all of the effects.

I also had someone who didn't recieve my email with the PDF attached, so if this has happened to anyone else, please don't hesitate to let me know that something has gone ary. Feel free to PM if you think the email isn't working properly. I typically send them out within the hour that they're ordered, and always within a day!

Matt
This performs exactly as the advert reads. I've performed it and it's great. Unusual too!

For $5 this is a real bargain.

Highly recommended and if you havnt checked out imaginary ball yet then don't, the less people that perform this the better for me :) seriously, imaginary ball is possibly my favourite effect of 2014. It's going to take something really good to beat it.

Joel
I just got this download ,just read it,what do I think? dam blooming brilliant,i love this and will be using all 3 routines,fantastic thinking.
I performed the cork routine today,but never had a cork so used a pen marker top,it went down very well and at one point he thought he was holding a glue stick.Now the mouse ,well that just messed my student's heads up and he was quite shocked when he put his foot back into his work boot.This fries people's brain's and a great one for Halloween coming up.
I've become a Fan-Boy of, Matt !

I made my first purchase to get his Ouija & Pendulum effects for Bizarre.
And, all at such a reasonable price. :-)

But, I have had so much fun performing "Imaginary Ball"(with a twist) and his "Zombie" ...

Fun,fun,fun !

~G
Two lad's squard up to each other today,we seperated them and I said,HEY, how tough are you? so I performed the effect of mouse in his boot,he jumped a mile,lol,i friggin love this best material I have had all year so far and I have, ITS ALL IN YOUR HEAD to study tonight,so happy day's.
Thanks for sharing your experience with the mouse version, Fire Starter! It's a great presentation/effect to use around Halloween - especially when combined with the Zombie induction.

So, for today and tomorrow, (Halloween) I will be making The Imaginary Object available for only $3!

This deal will be offered through myself and Penguin, and then the price will go back up to $5 on November 1st.

Happy Halloween!

Matt
As a big fan of Matt I'm surprised I missed this one so I took advantage of the cheaper price on Penguin Magic and I'm so glad I did.

Matt has the habit of releasing brilliant ideas at fat too cheap a price and he's done it again with this Ebook.

Such a simple idea but, again, something that can get great reactions.

Well worth the money and I can't wait for his next release.

Hey Matt, any chance of a Penguin Lecture?

Keep up the great work,

Tony
Thanks, Tony! Happy to hear you enjoyed the idea.

I spoke with Penguin a couple of weeks ago, and they book their lectures VERY far in advance. I've yet to set anything in stone with them, but I could certainly see it being a possibility in the future!
Well I'll keep my fingers crossed for that mate! Be great to see you on there!
So I got "Imaginary Object"

If you've got any of Matt's effects you will know what to expect on opening the PDF - You will expect an effect identical to that in the description, with a "facepalm" method. I'm not referring to a method that is easy to figure out, but a method which is pretty much impossible to figure out, yet once you know it, you can't stop laughing. Imaginary Object is no different.
You open the PDF in Adobe (or google drive if you're like me) and sit on edge as you wait to see what new extremely simple (I say simple, not because it is obvious but because it is unforgettable) idea Matt Mello has created, you read through and kick yourself.
The gimmick for imaginary object is no different. Like most of his, you will probably own the material required to make your gimmick from the start, however if not - you can always go out and buy it for less than the price of the PDF.
The first effect described (the shoe one) could be performed anywhere, however in a more casual close-up situation it requires some audience control or else someone might reveal you (they aren't stooged, but they could try something, if you read the PDF you will understand).
The second effect, I feel you could perform as a platform effect, or on stage, however I don't think it would work in too intimate a scenario.

Just because the effects are simple doesn't mean they are easy.
They are technically easy, however to make them entertaining, it does require good acting and stage presence/personality.

Great tricks Matt, well worth the tiny price tag!
I performed "Imaginary Object" a couple of times this weekend and I got some of the best reactions I EVER got. There was no applause... Just a room full of faces that could not believe what just happened.

I performed both times in a living room, where I placed two people in opposite corners (not without doing some syncing exercises first, one of which was another Matt Mello effect "Pulse Rate" done for two participants) and it went really, really well.

I have to thank Matt again for sharing such a powerful idea (and at such an accessible price!)... So THANK YOU Matt!
Thanks, guys! Awesome to hear that you're getting so much use out of my stuff, Adrien. And even better to hear about those reactions!

The synch version of Pulse Rate really is a great lead in to Imaginary Object. It also works beautifully as an opener to Imaginary Ball, especially if focusing on an 'energy' presentation in Pulse Rate.

Matt
[quote]On Oct 15, 2014, Godzilla wrote:

~G [/quote]

Godzilla, could you tell me the name of Matt's Bizarre piece you mentioned in the quote above? Thank you in advance.
[quote]On Mar 11, 2015, Nlongi Yilwa wrote:

~G [/quote]

Godzilla, could you tell me the name of Matt's Bizarre piece you mentioned in the quote above? Thank you in advance. [/quote]

It's in "its all in your head." By Matt.
@Nlongi Yilwa ...^^^^^ What he said !^^^^^

~G
[quote]On Mar 11, 2015, Magic.Maddy wrote:
[quote]On Mar 11, 2015, Nlongi Yilwa wrote:

~G [/quote]

Godzilla, could you tell me the name of Matt's Bizarre piece you mentioned in the quote above? Thank you in advance. [/quote]

It's in "its all in your head." By Matt. [/quote]

Thank you, much appreciation for your attentive reply!
Matt I just ordered and watched the video. Great job. I thought of an interesting variation using peppermint life savers. You could even put a drop of peppermint in the gimmick and have them smell the object.

Awesome effect. Thanks for sharing.
I just watched the video download from Penguin . And was totally blown away by the simplicity of the method. In a word, brilliant.
Matt. Thank you for sharing. I know I paid for it, but it was such a low price. Feels like you shared with us. This is worth 10 times the price.

Dave
Cool Release and a lot can be milked in in conjunction with other mentalism presentations
Thanks Matt
On Penguin Magic there's a shipping cost to the UK that's more than the price of the thing itself. My understanding is that there is some gimmick but that you can easily make it yourself. Would people advise just getting the pdf/video (if such an option is even available?) or pay double for the postage?

Thanks
Sound really good, but just want to ask, does this have ANY type and/or variation of dual reality involved? I personally am not a fan of DR plots at all so my decision to get this is gonna be based on that.
[quote]On Feb 4, 2016, Dumpty wrote:
On Penguin Magic there's a shipping cost to the UK that's more than the price of the thing itself. My understanding is that there is some gimmick but that you can easily make it yourself. Would people advise just getting the pdf/video (if such an option is even available?) or pay double for the postage?

Thanks [/quote]

You probably already have what you need.

[quote]On Feb 5, 2016, johndamen wrote:
Sound really good, but just want to ask, does this have ANY type and/or variation of dual reality involved? I personally am not a fan of DR plots at all so my decision to get this is gonna be based on that. [/quote]

Um... This is a hard question to answer because technically yes there is DR but it's DR designed for close up. When discussed, it only makes the effect stronger for both parties. They can't "unravel" the secret from talking. This is true with all of Matt's effects that involve DR.
Thanks MadisonH, appreciate the response.
Thanks for all of the comments, guys!

As Madison addressed, there is a type of DR involved. But if you were doing this effect for real, there would be two realities. You would have the participant experiencing the strange effect, and you would have the audience witnessing what's really happening. At the end, both parties will be impressed by the demonstration, and can freely discuss what happened.
For those that are wondering about DR, this falls in that field, but is one of the few DR effects I would do. Why? Because most DR effects can be easily solved when the person on stage tells the rest of the group what happens or what was done to them.

In this case, the one person being fooled will be convinced by the rest of the group that they are wrong in the solution.

As an example of a DR I do: PK Touches... the one person will tell the group, "He touched me", but the group will say, "No, we were watching. He never touched you." That's why I like this kind of DR. Most DR's fall in the other group... the one person tells the group some inside info and suddenly the whole group has another take on what they just saw.

This is an excellent DR effect.

Greg
As I saw the trailer, I had some doupts because of the cuts. But I was a big fan of Matts "Imaginary Ball" and still purchased "Imaginary Object".

So the cuts arenīt hiding any suspicious moves. All movements are absolutely clean and logical. The psychology about the DR is brilliant.
Everyone who loves the "Imaginary Ball" effect, will love "Imaginary Object". This is nothing for magicians, but definitively a real worker for mentalists.

The effect is easy to perform. You have no movements to learn and can concentrate on the performance. Itīs all about presentation. I perform it more as an experiment than a trick, so nobody is looking for any "move".

Highly recommend it for mentalists!