(Close Window)
Topic: The scryer project
Just saw Paul Romhany post this on twitter

http://youtu.be/UzLCVUOh8Lw

Enjoy :)

Cheers
Allan
Awesome! Will be looking forward to this one for sure!
Exciting Stuff!
Will be looking out for this one for sure.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Oct 2, 2014 02:36AM)
So is it just a showing of effects and routines that will be on the TV show or are some routines taught?

Ray
My impression from the video link is that there is the TV footage for performance footage then explanations afterward.
Should be a good one, with Andrew Gerard as the presenter.
I realy hate this when this happens
People pay allot of money time and effort to Buy,read,read again,understand
And have the guts to try out on real world spectators!

Now its all spelt out and anyone can do these miracles
I hope people understand That the are working with real emotional feelings
Instead doing a trick.

Brehan
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Oct 2, 2014 10:19AM)
As someone said in another thread, there will be a TV show showing these routines and then anyone will be able to buy a DVD telling how everything is done that was on the TV show.... What is wrong with this picture?

I bet the DVD will be advertised during the show...... That would increase impulse sales......

Ray
Hi guys - two completely different things. Gerard is working on his own TV pilot and I was able to use his crew to film The Scryer Project. We thought we would frame the Scryer Project around a TV pilot - two different things with different material.
^^ great to hear and thanks for setting things straight. This looks like something very promising , I haven't been interested in any new material in quite some time as I have all I need but this peeks my interest.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Oct 2, 2014 12:16PM)
Now that is great news. Thanks for setting me straight.....

Looks really interesting......

Ray
Wow this IS Great news! The Trailer Looks Phenomenal! Nothing cheap about that camera work. :) It would be nice if it was a Two Disc Set tho.
This is going to be a worker, I assure you!

Regards,
Mike
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Oct 3, 2014 12:11AM)
There are so many things that I want and NEED right now and now I have to add this to the list.......
This is exciting!

Thanks for the update:)

We'll be watching.

NScryer and AGerard are the bees knees.

I'm ready.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Oct 7, 2014 09:48AM)
Pre orders?

Updates?
Looks realy interesting. Does anyone have more informations about this?
I am hearing crickets... are there any updates? Workers want to know.
No crickets on my end Heywood:) I've been working around the clock on this project and it needs to be done just right so I can do justice to the incredible works of Scryer. I do have some amazing news that I can now announce - hence the hold off on this one. Richard Webster is also going to appear on the DVD performing his favorite Scryer routine and something else that will make this very special. Richard, as we all know is Royalty of the artform, and having him appear makes this INCREDIBLY SPECIAL.

Keep coming back for more updates and news on this on as I have a few more surprises that I haven't mentioned;) My plan is to have it ready by early Novemember. Will keep you all posted.
Wow, thanks for the news, this will be really interesting!
Message: Posted by: Honest Deceptions (Oct 26, 2014 04:56AM)
Andrew Gerard is a great thinker...I am sure this one will be a hit
The Scryer Project is officially listed for Presale at Hocus Pocus and we have the full ad copy and a video preview. Check it out. This is the MOST ANTICIPATED DVD project of 2014.

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?p=28414

Preorder it from Hocus Pocus to get Free Worldwide Shipping. Anticipated for release in Mid December. A more definite date will be posted as soon as it is available.

This is something you will not want to miss!

Cole
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Nov 25, 2014 01:46PM)
Where is the video? I don't see it.

Ray
If you hit "more info" on the item after clicking the link, the video is at the bottom of the ad copy
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Nov 25, 2014 02:04PM)
[quote]On Nov 25, 2014, Cole Gross wrote:
If you hit "more info" on the item after clicking the link, the video is at the bottom of the ad copy [/quote]

Thanks, it must be my IPAD, because I don't get a video.
The advertisement for this DVD set begins with the following claim: "Neal Scryer has been described as the most influential mentalist since Annemann."

Before I read this ad, I had already discovered that the hype in this field was serious. But I had NO idea it was becoming this epidemic.

George
[quote]On Nov 25, 2014, Magical Dimensions wrote:
[quote]On Nov 25, 2014, Cole Gross wrote:
If you hit "more info" on the item after clicking the link, the video is at the bottom of the ad copy [/quote]

Thanks, it must be my IPAD, because I don't get a video. [/quote]

Ray, same here.
It appears to be a flash link,
I was able to see the link using a flash browser, but it says video not found or access denied. :(
This looks like an awesome project... count with me!

[youtube]5asJsOcz6Ak[/youtube]
George, why don't you purchase the DVDs, study them carefully and then get back to us with your informed, expert opinion as to whether they're the real deal or merely hype. I hope that you're not seriously suggesting that Osterlind, Banachek, Salem and others prominent in this art are colluding to hype these DVDs.
While I agree with the hype in this field, not a bad statement in the blurb IMO. I'm not aware of ANY creator that has written more effects and routines for mentalists than Scryer. Also, his influence is with every performer that I'm in contact with.
He's a one man jinx.

Pretty amazing, glad we have him.
Sam, you summed it up nicely and professional.
It's unfortunate that when some of the top hitters in the craft come together, the project gets slammed and instantly is considered hype. However, I think we are truly blessed to have such graceious teachers who are willing to work together to make a new future for our art. And pure jealousy has no room amongst the ranks of professionals.
Sam and Darrell:

Please reread my post. I said that the lead sentence in the ad way ludicrously hyperbolic.

1) That is NOT saying whether the DVD's are "the real deal or merely hype."

2) That is NOT slamming the project or calling the project hype.

I have noticed, of course, that some notable mentalists are commending the DVD's as worth getting, but there is no evidence in what they wrote that they had in fact viewed the DVD's at the time they endorsed the project.

I own and have read two of the Scryer books, Black & White and Carnival of Secrets. Some good stuff there but, so far, have seen no reason to relegate my books by Corinda, Maven, Osterlind, Cassdidy, Banachek, and others to the back bookcases in my library.

Let me say it again. I only wrote that the ad's lead sentence is over the top. (Surely mentalists can recognize such obvious misdirection in advertising!)

George
The Scryer material has never let down any of the working professionals. When you know how to perform, it is all solid gold material. If it were not so usable and sound, then I might be inclined to agree with those calling it "hype." The ability to efficiently effectively understand the practicality of his work is the current measure of a true pro. I respect the greats who have offered their support for this project, but standing alone, the Scryer track record is enough for me.

IMHO - The respect for Scryer's creativity is what separates the wheat from the chaff in the world of Mentalism.
George never said anything about the material,.
He commented on a statement in the ad that he feels is over the top.

Until the DVDs have been delivered and the material worked on, anything said by most of the membership is personal opinion based on the ad or pervious materials, and should be taken that way.

Tony
Andrew, is a wonderful performer.
But, I would love to see the Man himself (Mr. Scryer) doing this!
I never lay my claim to Mentalism, but I have learned so much from Neil & Richard on the subject.
It has helped me so much in the performance of 'Magick' ! (Bizarre/Storytelling)
And, Yes ... Mentalism and Mental Magic and Magic is used together in Bizarre.

~G

Of course, many in the Mentalism field have been there for help when needed to ! :-)
Wait.... Scryer is a mentalist?!
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!! ;)
I thank thee for the glory of the universe,for the sun,the moon and the stars .But most of all I thank thee for the magic Café and all it's brilliant minds .This has been an amazing journey learning from each and everyone of you, I thank thee for that to.

Sending the Light
Reverend Carl Zen
My God, Carl... I didn't know you were a reverend. Your post was so moving and we are very blessed to have such a esteemed member amongst our ranks. ;)
Carl you should gives all a blessing for today. What say you...
Thank you Darrelll for those kind words. I also would like to thank thee for guiding and giving insight to Steve Brooks to start this wonderful place . I send much love and that thee shine on each and everyone here with even more love .
Reverend Zen: Kindly send me the address of your place of worship, as I would like to remit a donation so that you can keep up your good work. (Incidentally, Good Reverend, in the event that you should run out of ideas for your prayers and meditations, the Scryer books contain some excellent affirmations and clearing rituals which you can use. I commend them to you).
This looks promising, and $100 isn't too bad for a Scryer product.
Reverend Zen ... that, has a nice ring to it ! :-)
[quote]On Nov 26, 2014, George Hunter wrote:
The advertisement for this DVD set begins with the following claim: "Neal Scryer has been described as the most influential mentalist since Annemann."

Before I read this ad, I had already discovered that the hype in this field was serious. But I had NO idea it was becoming this epidemic.

George [/quote]

I have some sympathy with George,here.
Who was it described Neal Scryer as the most influential mentalist since Annemann? The ad copy makes it sound like a universal acknowledgement. It's certainly not a description I've ever heard, and I'm rather surprised anyone would agree to such a statement being made on their behalf on one of their products. It is just a wee bit disrespectful to the multitude of brilliant and influential mentalists we've had in the decades since Ted was plying his trade.
I send a bright blue light to all here that are stressed, It's the color of tranquility. I ask thee to help those with anger management problems to send healing there way.

The loving
Reverend Carl Zen
There are a good number of us who are familiar with Scryer's work and do, indeed, rank him up there with Annemann.
Sam very true, and I know first hand some top workers who I shall not name who respect and feel the same way about Neal. And if my memory serves me well, I do believe that Neal was one of the first recipients to receive the Annemann award last year. No need to banter, just shedding some light.
Think about this for a minute . I remember a famous basket ball player who did a Volkswagen commercial saying he loves riding it . Did he ever ride in a Volkswagen, the answer is no.
Message: Posted by: MentalistCreationLab (Nov 27, 2014 08:36PM)
[quote]On Nov 27, 2014, SamNJ wrote:
There are a good number of us who are familiar with Scryer's work and do, indeed, rank him up there with Annemann. [/quote]

Yeah, about that. Frankly Scryer's stuff in more cases than not is more useful and less dated than Annemann Stuff. Plus when I am designing a new effect and I need a consult I call Scryer for help as its easier and quicker than holding a seance and waiting to see if Ted will pop by for a chat.
[quote]On Nov 27, 2014, SamNJ wrote:
There are a good number of us who are familiar with Scryer's work and do, indeed, rank him up there with Annemann. [/quote]

Which is super, but wouldn't "ONE OF the most influential mentalists since Annemannn" have sufficed?

It has the benefit of being:
A) arguably true
B) humble.

Whenever a new Neal Scryer project is released, I imagine a monk solemnly walking in front of it swinging a thurible, to the ominous strains of a Gregorian chant.

It all feels a little pompous and silly.
I'd like to know more about the mystery man?
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Nov 28, 2014 02:10AM)
[url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=570993&forum=15]Join us and you'll know! :) [/url]

Cheers
Th.
Slim ,I know for a fact he is a big fan of yours and loves your work. I don't know what the big Fuss is here it's quite simple just join Thomas at the summit and he will be there to greet you all with much love . It's best these threads be pulled off ,seems they are always being bashed why bother ever putting them up. Why can't a person be respected if you like his work fine if not don't buy it that simple.
Yes...as Thomas Says, (in an cultish chant) Join Ussss... :)
Carl I understand what you mean, as that this post was suppose to be about Neal's projects and his up in coming DVD, (which has almost been bought up by dealers globally) However, after speaking with Scryer personally, he would rather that these post of his were never generated as that he feels all they do is bring stress and in-fighting amongst our fellow brothers. To add, majority of the Elders also feel that the most sacred of our secrets need not to be exploited here in this open space but rather shared in person. As it has been done for centuries to keep our art alive for centuries to come.
CarlZen, I don't know who you are (check your Inbox), but I too can confirm, Slim King, that Scryer is a BIG fan of yours. Can't stop talking about you in fact.

Back on topic, I can't wait until the DVD project is released. Gerard is excellent at connecting and engaging participants (see his "Process" video) and was a great choice in presenting Mr. Scryer's work.

Thomas- Acquiring Scryer along with Webster for Mind Summit was such an accomplishment. Congratulations!

-Byron
I can't confirm the accuracy of this claim, but I understand that Scryer is a big fan of Rev. Zen.
Thanks guys for the kind words and may you have a blessed and healthy new year to all here . It's just a shame how people bash people for no reason .If one does not like something fine he is entitled to his opinion but it seems it's always on a Scryer thread . Maybe best for no mention of him no more would make things easier. These authors not only make nothing on books they spend months and years writing them,just to share with the community .if you divide the time they put in and what they make it's slave wages .it's a pity how they get treated .Some sound advice ,spend more time performing than wasting time analyzing things here .
I'm looking forward to this as well.
It may be my Christmas gift to myself. :xmas:
:lol: Think I'll just follow your lead, Tony.
I will likely buy and enjoy this as well. Just to clarify, again: A critique of the lead sentence in the ad is NOT a critique of the project, the performers, or the primary mind behind the project.

George
George ,we love you and respect you and you have the right to your opinion it's all fair . One thing people tend to forget it's called marketing and it's no crime to market as people wish or as they see it. George a blessed evening to you and a very healthy and blessed New Year. Quick last thing, there were more far influential mentalist than Annemann IMO.
[quote]On Nov 28, 2014, CarlZen wrote:
Quick last thing, there were more far influential mentalist than Annemann IMO. [/quote]

So it's ok for you to bash Annemann, eh? But we're not allowed to question Neil Scryer's omnipotence! :-)
You are so predictable Martiin ,I am not bashing anyone , just giving you my opinion as you are . Wouldn't you say Guys like Bob Cassidy and Derren Brown are more influential than Annemann. By the way seems like it's a big habit here on the Café for others to put words in your mouth. Anyway through trying to make a point here have a blessed evening mate . Plus whatever you say here you never win ,it just keeps going on and on .Time for a permanent break .
To late to edit ,so I say love Ya martin your ok ... We all need a rest ...
No worries Carl. All the best.
Same here ,wishing you the best to.
In fairness, new releases come with so much hype these days it is hard to tell what is genuine and what is simply a case of "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours". To put that in context; I wont say who but there are at least a handful of performers who release material who I know will have endorsments from the same group of 3 or so people and visa versa.

I'm casting no judgement or referring specifically to this project but more generally speaking its hard to tell whats hype and whats real. Thankfully with a project of this size it'll be easy to tell. Someone will have the courage to review honestly I'm sure. Others will say its great even if its not and then flog it on selling thread - as is often the case when big names release stuff. Who can blame them. You voice an opinion on here that is not 100% in favour of a big name and you are shot down in flames

Personally speaking; I'm looking forward to this. I like all the people involved so it should be great bit I don't pre order anything these days.
Wise words, Paul.
I agree !
Good post, Paul. I'm with you on the preorder too. When whatever item I'm interested in is ready to ship then I'm ready to order.
:cheers:
Well, Paul, now I kind of wish I hadn't preordered!

George
..for me, its a no-brainer, I will be pre-ordering soon enough...and I'll probably take a risk and pre-order from the states, rather than wait for it to appear in the uk...the prices are getting a bit silly (if you take any uk price and then convert it to USD, the differences are huge a lot of the time)...
I'm not saying anyone is wrong to pre order I just don't personally. As iain says; there are benefits sometimes.
I just heard from a friend's cousin's mother's sister's aunt second removed that Scryer is actually possibly Annemann's son with Helen Duncan!
Heywood: not possibly; it's a certainly.
I thought everyone knew that Scryer is Dr. Crow's illegitimate son. (But his favorite son, nonetheless.)
I just saw Steve's message on this being available for preorder.
He mentioned ordering soon, before they are gone.

Is this a limited release?

Tony
Love Scryors Vault. Lots of gems in there.
^^^ What Roth, said !^^^
The 'Vault' also has a Killer cover ... :-)
When Michael Connelly puts out a new Harry Bosch novel, I don't need to think about it...or find out what it's about. It's Michael Connelly and I KNOW I'm going to like it. I buy it.

I think it's very much the same thing with Neal's work.

In the interests of being upfront: I spent over a week with Neal in NYC a while ago and he's a very close friend. Also in the interest of being upfront: I am not currently using any of the effects I've read about in any of his books. BUT his fingerprints and thinking on presentation are all over many of the ways I choose to perform mentalism. His THINKING is where the treasure is...for me, anyway.

The notion that you have to get specific routines out of any given book or DVD feels a little short-sighted to me. I learn from what the writer teaches me and the WAY he presents it. Seeking access to material from a broad cross section of different performers broadens what I'm capable of...and THAT makes me a better performer.

Why wouldn't an "entertainment" themed mentalist like me NOT want to know how the shut-eyes present their material? Why wouldn't I be keenly interested in how a bizarre performer does a seance or frames a story? I'm interested in all of it. And I'm always excited to see someone I respect presenting on a DVD, not only because I am a visual learner -- but also because so many of the nuances that make a performance great can't be conveyed by the written word.

Some performers forget that THEY are the product...the effects and routines they present are the sum total of their own creativity blended with all the other influences in which they've invested and really worked to understand and absorb. When you purchase a book or a DVD or an effect, you're really investing in the "product of YOU."

Is Scryer a good "investment" for everyone? Of course not. But I don't think everyone loves Harry Bosch novels...or Leonard Cohen music...or old Bogart movies the way I do either. Different strokes, guys.

So decide for yourself if it's worth an investment for YOU...and ignore all the "hype", cross talk and armchair speculation.

As for me? Here's a project where the material designed by a guy with a genius for simplicity is being presented by not one but TWO performers for whom I have the greatest respect. And it's all only a hundred bucks?

Where do I sign?

David
[quote]On Dec 8, 2014, David Thiel wrote:
When Michael Connelly puts out a new Harry Bosch novel, I don't need to think about it...or find out what it's about. It's Michael Connelly and I KNOW I'm going to like it. I buy it.

I think it's very much the same thing with Neal's work.

In the interests of being upfront: I spent over a week with Neal in NYC a while ago and he's a very close friend. Also in the interest of being upfront: I am not currently using any of the effects I've read about in any of his books. BUT his fingerprints and thinking on presentation are all over many of the ways I choose to perform mentalism. His THINKING is where the treasure is...for me, anyway.

The notion that you have to get specific routines out of any given book or DVD feels a little short-sighted to me. I learn from what the writer teaches me and the WAY he presents it. Seeking access to material from a broad cross section of different performers broadens what I'm capable of...and THAT makes me a better performer.

Why wouldn't an "entertainment" themed mentalist like me NOT want to know how the shut-eyes present their material? Why wouldn't I be keenly interested in how a bizarre performer does a seance or frames a story? I'm interested in all of it. And I'm always excited to see someone I respect presenting on a DVD, not only because I am a visual learner -- but also because so many of the nuances that make a performance great can't be conveyed by the written word.

Some performers forget that THEY are the product...the effects and routines they present are the sum total of their own creativity blended with all the other influences in which they've invested and really worked to understand and absorb. When you purchase a book or a DVD or an effect, you're really investing in the "product of YOU."

Is Scryer a good "investment" for everyone? Of course not. But I don't think everyone loves Harry Bosch novels...or Leonard Cohen music...or old Bogart movies the way I do either. Different strokes, guys.

So decide for yourself if it's worth an investment for YOU...and ignore all the "hype", cross talk and armchair speculation.

As for me? Here's a project where the material designed by a guy with a genius for simplicity is being presented by not one but TWO performers for whom I have the greatest respect. And it's all only a hundred bucks?

Where do I sign?

David [/quote]

Exactly . . . Ditto! Thanks David for formulating your perspective so beautifully as it mirrors mine perfectly.

Additionally, I trust all will find what they seek from their investments in such projects and do find that which propels THEM into a better space as a performer and person.
I'd love a review from anyone who has purchased it. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
I wish we had more DVDs showing effects done live on stage in front big and paying audience. One on one mentalism is nice but sometimes I feel we have to much of it this days and way way too little from the other.
Hello everyone,

Very happy to announce that this is IN STOCK NOW! All preorders are being packed now. We will continue to offer FREE WORLDWIDE SHIPPING for a limited time. Please check this link to watch the video and order your copy today

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?p=28414

Cole
Hocus Pocus
Just ordered. Looking forward to getting it.

Michael
I took the plunge and bought this set purely on speculation. Very disappointed. I feel it is horribly overpriced.

I am typically a fan of Andrew Gerard, but I think he went a little overboard on this one. Aside from the shoddy film cuts that make it hard to track visually (During the interview section), and the silly reality show MTV feel they attempted to give it, it really seemed that Andrew and his friend (Can't remember his name) didn't have a game plan which led to them being all over the place when trying to discuss this material.

The AG routines were OK, but nothing that warrants the price tag of this set. As far as the Paul Romhany part of the project, well I will state right upfront that I have never been a fan. He states himself that he is not a mentalist, and whenever I see him try to perform mentalist routines, it always feels very awkward to me.

None of these routines, as presented, were anything to write home about IMHO. I am not slinging mud for the sake of slinging mud. I was hoping to find something of value in this, but I didn't. It literally feels like I put a 100 dollar bill into the shredder.

I would recommend you think carefully before purchasing this. But ones man's trash and all that ....
Thank you! I got it Friday, feel the same, and thought "Maybe it's just me..."
Best thing is don't buy Scryer stuff or any stuff at that .yes please don't buy anything , let them starve , as they will being the Café buys big time and is number one revenue .
Stop spiking the Egg Nog Carlzen. Lol
Don't know what that means, just agreeing with you. If it was not for the Café all creators would be out of business. I am saying good you are stepping up and saying these DVDs are bad .
Carl, it wasn't a pot shot. I was just making a joke. Just a figure of speach. All is good. :)
Ok got it, thanks . So best stay away from these is your expert opinion .
I'm certainly not qualifying myself as an expert, lol but yes I found this project to be weak. I always try to fine at least one solid piece in any book, DVD etc, but this one has nothing for me. Doesn't mean someone else might think these are gold though. But I didn't like this at all.
I'm waiting on my copy to arrive, was there anything in particular you didn't like sbays? or just an overall feeling?

lack of teaching, didn't like the presentations? something else?
Thanks for your honest review sbays it gives people a balanced opinion.
Honestly it was a combination of all of those things. I actually sat down a bit ago to try to watch it again with fresh eyes, and I just find it difficult sit through. And there was one camera edit in particularly that annoyed me greatly. There was no need for it. All of these effects are very basic, and I think they attempted to make them much more unsuccessfully. Just not my cup of tea.
That's why I stick with the Tarbell course . What was that camera edit as I will watch it over a friends house.
:hrmph: I'm getting this for Christmas... Thinking on not opening it now...
Wow, disappointing to read. Thanks for your review sbays. I haven't seen this yet but thought the reaction would be much better. The clips I saw AG performing seemed very moving.
One good or bad review doesn't make or break it though to be fair...

i usually wait for half a dozen reviews before I take it all on board...
[quote]On Dec 21, 2014, IAIN wrote:
One good or bad review doesn't make or break it though to be fair...

i usually wait for half a dozen reviews before I take it all on board... [/quote]

This is absolutely true! This was just MY opinion. I truly hope those of you waiting on this find more value in it than I did.
True... I'm gonna give it a chance. I know sometimes seeing old school methods may not be as exciting as new ideas, but I guess Scryer is known for his presentation with these methods. So to magicians/mentalists maybe these are pretty tame but to the layperson, these may be killer...
Wow... Thanks for the review guys. Maybe Carl is right, maybe Tarbell might need to be dusted off along with Mark Wilsons Encyclopedia of Magic. It kind of reminds me of the simplicity that Tommy Wonder use to talk about. Simplicity in thought, effect, and presentation will always deliver the most impactful of responses. However it's just my two cents worth. Well...who knows maybe Neal Scryer is Tommy back from the grave with a new twist. (Love Ya Deeply Mr. Wonder) Always with respect! Carl whatcha think?
Spot on G !
Just got word from a friend that a friend of his from Alaska bought them, he said they were tremendous .
I just got word from a friend that a friend of his in North Korea thought the DVD was so good, he didn't want it released.
I fall on the side of enjoying these DVDs.

I'm not familiar with Scryer or Andrew G. - though I have seen something of Paul R. before.

I am a big fan of Richard Webster, so that was a treat.

Not sure why anyone would be dissatisfied with the effects - after all, they WERE listed in the Ad. I can't believe there's anyone on this board that doesn't already know half a dozen different methods for OOTW.

That's not why you buy this ...

It's EVERYTHING around the tricks that make these DVDs special.

Andrew's presentations on the first disk were phenomenal - and his subsequent discussion of what makes these presentations work was highly informative and I think, interesting. Plus, it appeared he legitimately brought out strong emotion in his first participant, and he shared a slick little anchoring (?) technique to make that happen. For one-on-one - I don't see how you get much stronger than that.

Paul's effects on the second disk were good - not earth shattering, yet still very good, and his level of insight shared during the explanation portion wasn't as deep as Andrew's, but it was clear these were decent "working" effects within the realm of any competent performer's abilities. Not to take anything way from Paul, I think his explanations were practical and more geared to "workers."

I especially enjoyed his impromptu three chair test and the Svengali routine.

Once you see the routine you'll be delighted with the manner in which he reveals the deck to be ordinary - while getting some extra mileage out of the routine at the same time ... very nice.

And before the second disk was finished playing I'd already dropped a couple of bucks on Penguin's site to get the necessary something you'll need/want to perform the spinner routine.

As I said, prior to this purchase, I wasn't familiar with Scryer's work, but I can see his books on my shelf in the near future.

Oscar
Good to hear! Isn't Richard Webster on the set explaining his A-Z psychometry. I'm looking forward to that.
If anyone bought the DVDs, doesn't like them and wants to sell them then please PM me.
"Andrew's presentations on the first disk were phenomenal - and his subsequent discussion of what makes these presentations work was highly informative and I think, interesting. Plus, it appeared he legitimately brought out strong emotion in his first participant, and he shared a slick little anchoring (?) technique to make that happen. For one-on-one - I don't see how you get much stronger than that."

I couldn't disagree more. I thought they were WAY to overboard and contrived. Aside from actually trying to elicit a strong negative emotion, up to and including crying, I found the structure and the discussion of these effects to be way to convoluted. The first girl, which by the way is an actor (which they do acknowledge), was obviously putting on a performance. The second girl (also an actor)seems a bit more genuine with her reactions, and this particular routine was, and I use this term loosely, the best routine out of all of these. Although, they edited out a part of this performance, and re-inserted a cleaner close-up shot. AG comments in the discussion portion that they edited this out because they wanted us to see it as the spectator saw it. I can deal with that when it comes to a dealer demo, but NOT when I paid a hundred dollars for the DVD set. I want to see the performance as it actually happened.

It took them WAY too long to just get to the point of how to perform the effects. They were all over the place with their discussion. And AG's friend that was on the DVD with him ... well, I don't see why he was even there. He certainly did not contribute anything to the project or discussion.

Yes it's true, all of these effects are basics and have been around for a long time. That is kind of my point, they brought nothing new to them. For the price tag and hype on this set, I was expecting something new and creative. This is just rehashed material. There are a couple things on here that I would give an "OK" to, but mostly I found it to be very muddy and uninspiring.

I have buyers remorse, but I am glad to hear you found some value in the set. I wish I could have. I just didn't. But maybe I will be in the minority. And that's fine with me. :)
[quote]On Dec 22, 2014, Isper wrote:
If anyone bought the DVDs, doesn't like them and wants to sell them then please PM me. [/quote]

PM'd you
I appreciate your perspective, Sbays - I've bought things others liked that I was still waiting to be impressed long after my purchase.

However, I did find value and am pleased with the set.

Mental Mike: Yes, Webster does explain Psychometry A-Z and when he's done you'll be able to give a quick reading on the fly at the drop of a hat.

Oscar
Most important is that your audience enjoys your performance is Cardinal rule number one. But seems people like to fool each other here. So if you can't fool your fellow performer with an effect it has no value and you are not the head honcho. So sad to think this way but that's the nature of the beast and you can't change it .
[quote]On Dec 22, 2014, CarlZen wrote:
Most important is that your audience enjoys your performance is Cardinal rule number one. But seems people like to fool each other here. So if you can't fool your fellow performer with an effect it has no value and you are not the head honcho. So sad to think this way but that's the nature of the beast and you can't change it . [/quote]

I could care less about "fooling" other performers. I do not perform for other performers as a general rule. I see many, including some of my friends, who perform solely for other magicians, and it is their soul purpose in life to do material that fools them. They have to change effects constantly to keep up. I just change audiences. ;)
Well said Sbays ,you are one of the few that thinks the way one should. I feel as I have seen many just look to fool their fellow peers .
The stuff about "the most anticipated DVD project of 2014" and 'the most influential mentalist since Annemann" may have worked against this set. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary material. So far, the feedback suggests it may not contain such material.

This may be one of those cases where a little less hype and a little more modesty may have led to lower expectations and kinder reviews?
[quote]On Dec 22, 2014, Martin Pulman wrote:
The stuff about "the most anticipated DVD project of 2014" and 'the most influential mentalist since Annemann" may have worked against this set. Extraordinary claims demand extraordinary material. So far, the feedback suggests it may not contain such material.

This may be one of those cases where a little less hype and a little more modesty may have led to lower expectations and kinder reviews? [/quote]

I definitely think you have a point here. Had this set been priced around 30-40 bucks, I might not have felt AS badly about it, but my review of the material would have been the same.

Same thing is happening with another DVD set about to come out, and I am not touching that with a ten foot pole.

I still shake my head when I see these high ticket items coming out and failing to deliver ... and then you can go buy, oh lets say Cassidy's Artful Mentalism books for 60 bucks, which deliver on every front. I just do not get it.
You need to become a nuclear Phycisicist first to get it ,so guess you never will.
[quote]On Dec 22, 2014, CarlZen wrote:
You need to become a nuclear Phycisicist first to get it ,so guess you never will. [/quote]
If that's a prerequisite for these DVDs, shouldn't that be in the dealer ads?
Is it just me, or are (it seems) the magicians among us finding this good and impressive, yet the mentalists here are finding it less impressive and valuable? Just curious?

when I think of Scryer I think mentalism not magic.
[quote]On Dec 22, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
Is it just me, or are (it seems) the magicians among us finding this good and impressive, yet the mentalists here are finding it less impressive and valuable? Just curious?

when I think of Scryer I think mentalism not magic. [/quote]

Any Scryer material I've read seems more like psychic reading mixed with basic mentalism. There hasn't been much in the way of magic, apart from a presentation of the ashes on palm worthy of Derek Acorah.
No Tim, martin seemed confused he does not get it ,so that's why I wrote that comment. You either get it or you don't , that's simple to understand .
[quote]On Dec 22, 2014, ByronGrey wrote:
I just got word from a friend that a friend of his in North Korea thought the DVD was so good, he didn't want it released. [/quote]
Now that's what I call an endorsement! Love your subtle sarcasm! :thumbsup:
Scryer

if you are lurking, thank you for understanding that mentalism is about Presentation, Presentation, Presentation.

H
In response to Martin's: "Any Scryer material I've read seems more like psychic reading mixed with basic mentalism."

Sorry, Guys, but that is kind of the way I have read it too. I have only read Black and White and Carnival (twice each), and I share Martin's general characterization of the material.

I have appreciated being introduced to a smorgasbord of the things that psychics apparently believe in, and to the experiences they want for people. And I appreciate the innovation within some of the basic mentalism material that obscures the method and enhances the effect; Scryer's "Paper Bag Psychometry" is a splendid example, and I can see myself performing that.

My sense is that Scryer books are very useful for Mentalists on the psychic side of the spectrum, but less so for those of us who are not on that side. I am still confused enough by the endorsements of several top non-psychic mentalists that I want to check it out more thoroughly that I ordered the DVD set. However, unless the DVD's liberate me from my apparent blindness, I do not plan to buy more of the Scryer books at the prices they list for.

Oh, if in fact anyone had not yet heard that mentalism is mainly about Presentation, that would also be a plus for the project.

George
Well, the first two books did have the word psychic in them! so yeah, more old school psychic entertainment, and not a "psychological illusionist" model for sure...

apparently mine is shipping out tomorrow...
And I should add, one man's reading is another man's personality assessment...

for me, adding the "why" or the showing that you understand that person on some extra level, does add a very good extra oomph to the proceedings...not for absolutely everything, that would be overkill - but within a strong, solid context mixing mentalism in with reading/analysis elements is very good in my opinion...and I think more personable than being the great-i-am all the time...

and that's said as a person who is in neither camp, overtly...
I was just about to say that. The first two also read "Neal Scryer is the pseudonym of a successful New York mentalist and psychic." When these books came out, I immediately noticed an increase for "readings" and 'pendulum' work too. Exactly the kind of thing Martin doesn't care for. So I can understand his position on Scryer's material.
Hi Rod,

You're certainly right that I am no fan of psychic reading as a stand-alone practice, but I'm actually very fond of mixing some "reading' material in with mentalism effects. That's why I bought the books in the first place. I've just personally found most of the Scryer material I've read to be rather basic and clumsy, and I genuinely think some of the routining is dreadful in places.
Mixing some readings in, naturally... A man with your experience in the filed figured that blend out a long time ago. I wasn't implying otherwise to be clear. I would like to talk with you more openly but not here. I'll get in touch soon. Merry Christmas to you.
Martin ,seems you only are complaining about this Creator constantly .and no one else . You have complained like fifty times what's your motive . People make a point and they are finished you stay constantly here .
Actually Martins has made 8 posts on this forum so far, mainly answering you Carl. Where as you've made 23 post so far, what's your point.
Well, I did not know the actuall amount of posts from Martin or myself but thanks for bringing it to my attention.
You're welcome. I admire your defence of talented artist Carl but a balanced discussion here only ensures the right people, who will benefit from these DVD's, purchase them. They will stand on their own merit, I have no doubt. Listening to the reasons the others did not care for them actually has prompted me to order them. So no need to be so defensive, not everyone is going to like everything. I'm sure after reading all post, that for me, I will definitely benefit. My personal opinion is $99 for collective thoughts from such professional people is a bargain. sbays, and Martin just have a different opinion and I'm good with that.
I agree with you chance, you make a fine point . Everyone has differnt tastes and that's perfectly normal and understood .But at times we all get carried away . All good a blessed and healthy new year to you and Martin as well as every one else on the forum .
Thanks mate, coming from you it's greatly appreciated as I know you are a genuine guy with great passion for the art. You've made my day, thanks.
My pleasure wishing you the best in life . It's just so much hatred at times here ,maybe I am wrong but would love to see people happy here.
:beatingheart: :beatingheart: :beatingheart:
Good stuff Mike , drinks are on me when we meet.
Not much of a drinker, so they're on me!
Sounds good Mike ,I to am not a drinker ,but this calls for a celebration .
Agreed!
[quote]On Dec 22, 2014, Rod Irroc wrote:
Mixing some readings in, naturally... A man with your experience in the filed figured that blend out a long time ago. I wasn't implying otherwise to be clear. I would like to talk with you more openly but not here. I'll get in touch soon. Merry Christmas to you. [/quote]

And to you Rod. Yes, we shall discuss in a more private place!
I found the SCRYER PROJECT DVD set very disappointing.
I thought I was the only oddball around who was disappointed by the DVDs. For my money, it was a total waste. Filler and little substance.