(Close Window)
Topic: What is your ideal place to perform mentalism?
I recently performed for some guests inside the Magic Castle and they mentioned how the Castle environment made the performance all that more mysterious. I feel there's environments that can positively or negatively affect a mentalism act. Control over our performing environments is critical to have a great show. However, I also think that a strong character can influence an otherwise bland environment. With that in mind, what is your preferred, or best, performance space and why? Have you performed in a venue that you wish you could perform in again?
I think this an interesting question and one that is being touched upon in another thread about walk around mentalism, for me personally something similar to the magic castle maybe with a little bit more stage space and dimmer lighting is optimal for performance, there are enough people there it feels like a show but not so many that it loses its intimacy. Having an audience small enough that almost everyone there can experience at least one effect in some way or another gives them something to go home and talk about. For me mentalism is all about atmosphere, showmanship, and doing something that everyone there can get something out of. that's just me personally though and I am curious to see what others ideal performing conditions will be.
I agree, except for the dimmer lighting. I love the Parlour at the Magic Castle, but I'd like to see brighter spots.

My favorite performing environment, though, is a comedy club style stage or a small theater stage. I also like working in the round in a cabaret setting.
It depends on my mood. Cabaret is a lot of fun, I love to hear people have fun and cheer -or be silenced in awe ;)
But I guess what I feel the deepest is in a salon setting, not quite sťance-like, but when people are gathered to view something that's above normal :)

Places with an atmosphere are best, but I can do with concrete floors and plastic chairs. What I really don't like is noise.

I'll tell you about the Magic Castle when I've performed there (don't laugh, this could happen: following a mail delivery error I could receive an invitation, stranger things happen all the time... ;) )

Oh! And I wouldn't like being in front of a very large audiences (over 200) yet. Not that large audiences are bad, I love Derren Brown's shows for instance! But I'm not ready for that yet, and I think all spectators above the 200th would agree :lol:
Personally I prefer venues where the audience is close to me. I work some venues where the stage is not only big but the first people are at least 10 or 15 metres away. I much prefer having them really close to me, I find it easier to connect with them and create the right atmosphere when they're near to me.
Also I don't like places where there is a lot of noise, like if there is a bar in the place and people are constantly getting up to go get a drink, but working in a holiday resort you don't get many ideal venues.
My favorite group and setting: around 50 people in a quiet room where they are in comfortable chairs. It doesn't happen often...but those shows tend to give me the best sense of a shared journey.

David
I love it at the end of a gig if you end up at a table at a nice venue with 3-10 people performing effects interspersed with conversation.
Here's one of the spots I worked at, Albany NY , great layout, was one of my favorites in the last bunch of years

[IMG]http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o541/MrRenzo/84986a23db11b2e49e96e6fcf71fe15a.jpg[/IMG]
My first preferred venue is a theater of 200 seats or more. Second would be a showroom setting, followed by a banquet setting. All with no contact with the audience or being seen before the show.
...the bath!
That's my kind of room, Renzo!
It's the best Bob as I know you are well aware, of course the Castle as you stated is nice as well. The best of all worlds
Too much info Iain , lol
[quote]On Oct 5, 2014, george1953 wrote:
Personally I prefer venues where the audience is close to me. I work some venues where the stage is not only big but the first people are at least 10 or 15 metres away. I much prefer having them really close to me, I find it easier to connect with them and create the right atmosphere when they're near to me.
Also I don't like places where there is a lot of noise, like if there is a bar in the place and people are constantly getting up to go get a drink, but working in a holiday resort you don't get many ideal venues. [/quote]

I too enjoy a more intimate atmosphere with little distraction. I sometimes see perfect little nooks of places I'd love to perform for a small groups of people. I also suppose the question originally asked can be answered differently according to the performer's professional level and individual performance needs. Thanks for sharing everyone.
The parkour at the castle is great. But I actually love the museum in the lower portion of the castle. Seats around 30-40.
The museum was the original Palace of Mystery in the early days of the Castle. It's not used for formal shows anymore, but members use it to entertain guests.
For me I have always felt the most at home when I am on stage. My show is kind of like a small stage production so I feel the most at home doing that and would do that over anything.
My family's basement is best, because the cats always love the show down there no matter what.

Second and third choice: an improv stage or a spacious living room.
In my head and on this forum (which basically is the same)
:rotf: