(Close Window)
Topic: "Obsessive amounts of time:" a sidebar
So as not to derail the other one, here's a new thread for a question...

I've been hearing for years that we "spend too much time on the computer," and yet it seems that it's no different from the old days. When I was a teenager, we "spent too much time on the phone." Before there were phones, and even for years afterwards, people would visit each other at night and sit there and drink coffee and chat. People also wrote letters -- in some cases daily to a loved one who was in a war. Men's clubs -- and bars -- still serve as a medium for socializing and chatting.

All these activities are nothing more than a way of communicating with somebody else using the available mediums. The mediums change, but the end result is the same. Even with texting nowadays, isn't that just a way of communicating with someone else using the "latest" medium available?

So are we really "spending too much time" on the computer, or are we "spending too much time" communicating with somebody else? Is there a difference?
"Too much" is relative really...

I think I spend "just enough" time here, really... ;)
But that's just me... :ohyes:
Perhaps I liked it better when we sat across from each other and wasted time. Looking into someones eyes, buying them a drink, true in depth conversations. I think many have lost that in their lives.
Sounds like there might be some projection there. How do you know we still don't do such things? I know I do.

Regularly.
I guess we should all waste our time in the manner Hudson sees fit. 😏
[quote]On Oct 23, 2014, w_s_anderson wrote:
I guess we should all waste our time in the manner Hudson sees fit. 😏 [/quote]

That's kind of the message I'm getting.
Is HudsonView the poster formally known as Slade?
Not so much time on the computer communicating. But rather way to much time cell phones communicating. Honestly what did people do before when walking somewhere and they had no cell phone? At least it disproves that some people cannot chew gun and walk...maybe not it only proves that some people cannot walk without using their cell phone. Do they have any idea what they look like walking around looking at their phone with their thumbs going. Better yet if two people are together and don't even talk to each other but text someone else. There goes the face to face communication.