(Close Window)
Topic: Sympathetic 10 - Joerg Alexander
And here it finally is....probably the best (parlour-) card effect ever created. A lot of pros use this wonderful effect already in their daily shows and I am happy and also sad that this will be released now to the whole world. But without any more words.... Here is the premiere of the trailer. Have fun!!!
http://youtu.be/e8e1VAIo87s

All the best

Alexander Kölle :phoenixred:
Yikes that looks so clean. . What's the difficulty level of this. . Very intrigued. .
Hi,

From a 1 to 10 ( 10 is hard), I would give it a 4-5. Not that hard to perform technical wise but it needS a good performance. This deserves a good performance and a good story.

Hope that helps.

Alexander
Is there any sleight of hand involved and can yhis be done close-up?

Mindblowingly,
Charles
Beautiful. Love it.
Best effect from the Flicking Fingers book!
Wow, that looks great! Anyone else that knows how it's done care to share there thoughts? Also, any idea on how much the DVD cost? Will it come with any other effects, or just this cool effect?
Hi,

It will come with only "THIS" effect, no more tricks. But a lovely made DVD with all the details and the knowledge and history from Joerg Alexander.
There is a little bit slight of hand involved but nothing hard at all and yes you can also do it in close up settings. Actually the DVD was shot in a close up theatre.
About the price I have no idea now as it will be sold through Card-Shark. But believe me, every penny is worth this effect.

All the best

Alexander
[quote]On Oct 28, 2014, ABK-Magic wrote:
Hi,

It will come with only "THIS" effect, no more tricks. But a lovely made DVD with all the details and the knowledge and history from Joerg Alexander.
There is a little bit slight of hand involved but nothing hard at all and yes you can also do it in close up settings. Actually the DVD was shot in a close up theatre.
About the price I have no idea now as it will be sold through Card-Shark. But believe me, every penny is worth this effect.

All the best

Alexander [/quote]

Thanks for the info - I look forward to it!
If you r not familiar with the effect, youtube Eric Mead's performance. Best performance of the plot I've ever seen.
Http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGXm_xHy3CI

This one? Very nicely done!

One a related note, will this DVD release come with the cards/gaffs?
Hi Jolly,

It comes with everything that you need, you only need the glases a deck of cards and a silk.

All the best

Alexander
Is this available anywhere yet?
It will be available soon. The masters are at the replicator now and Christian is 10 days in Korea Asia FISM. So probably between 2-4 weeks from now on.

Alexander
I hope Christian will have this at the international Magic convention in London in a couple of weeks time
I love this effect. I have been using Helder Guimaraes version called Deepest Sympathy for awhile now with great responses. I wonder how similar this version is to that?
Is everything examinable at the end?

Mindblowingly,
Charles
Are wine glasses required for this effect? If so then this will be very limited in its use, which is very unfortunate.
Joerg hands out the deck as a souvenir at the end but I don't fo this normally. The glases are not nessecary but it fits to the effect and makes the handling super easy
Jörg Alexander is a well known magician in Germany.
Jörg Alexader's Smpatetic 10 is a brilliant.

And his Ace Assembly routine exactly like this:
http://vimeo.com/97311307
I have this somewhere in my collection. I don't know where but it's somewhere.

Eric Mead is awesome.

J
[quote]On Oct 29, 2014, John C wrote:

Eric Mead is awesome.

J [/quote]

Please find it and tell us how does it compare to the new release. :) ;)

:xmas:
[quote]On Oct 29, 2014, dj wrote:

http://vimeo.com/97311307 [/quote]

Ohhh yes, this is brilliant too. I can highly recommend all of his books. Very clever and very good routines and effects.
[quote]On Oct 30, 2014, Ustaad wrote:
[quote]On Oct 29, 2014, John C wrote:

Eric Mead is awesome.

J [/quote]

Please find it and tell us how does it compare to the new release. :) ;)

:xmas: [/quote]

From what I recall mine is similar if not exact like Eric mead version.
[quote]On Oct 29, 2014, ABK-Magic wrote:
It comes with everything that you need, you only need the glases a deck of cards and a silk.
[/quote]
Actually card-shark will include two decks of phoenix cards ;)

This is a real killer! Everything is thought out so well, you will smile watching the explanation and you'll want to try it out instantly.

Nico
[quote]On Oct 30, 2014, parkrocker wrote:
[quote]On Oct 29, 2014, ABK-Magic wrote:

[/quote]

[b]Actually card-shark will include two decks of phoenix cards[/b] ;)

This is a real killer! Everything is thought out so well, you will smile watching the explanation and you'll want to try it out instantly.
[/quote]

This sounds good.

:xmas:
Card-Shark price is $49 US looks like only for one deck. FYI - that's a "Black Friday Special" ends 11/29 (Saturday) at midnight. $20 off for orders over $100 promotioncode "BlackFriday" - thanks for posting reviews. based on your reviews I'm planing on ordering it. If it comes with two decks, I'll up date my post.
Http://www.card-shark.de/index.cfm?page=52&lang=en&detail=true&Category=8&ArtID=282
Yes, it comes with two decks of cards and the gimmicks. No other cards are needed. All you need are two wine glasses and a silk?

If you are not using wine glasses, you would be crazy, as you would take away the third dimension of the display.

Henry Evans just bought this effect from me last weekend (two btw, as he - like most pros - buys two of the same trick, when he really wants to put it into his repertoire), and he called it a "vertical effect", what makes it VERY strong and well suited for any audience size.

Guys, I tell you the truth: exactly ten years ago I started doing magic. As an amateur magician. I bought a lot of effects from dealers that sounded amazing and I paid my "education fee", to find out that the tricks I bought did not hold what they promised. I still know this feeling VERY well. And I hated it. I hate it that it still happens around the world. I hate that 80 % of all magic releases popping up have flaws that make them useless, hard to perform or not suitable for the magician who purchased the effect. You will NEVER EVER have this problem when you purchase a Card-Shark effect. Promised. 100 %.

I give you my word for EVERY single release that you will LOVE what you get. That you will NEVER have the feeling to receive an overpriced product. That you NEVER will be dissatisfied with the method used, the props provided or any other bad experience that we all know from past purchases in Magic.

When you meet me at conventions, you will find out that I am a very honest person. I will show you the method used, the necessary cautions to perform an effect etc. I love every effect as my brain child. I want to give it in good hands. Not in full magic drawers. There is already enough clutter around. Get rid of it. Get out. Do great magic. The Sympathetic Ten is definitely an effect that you will add to your show, and you will see that it has the potential to be your closer effect.
[quote]On Nov 27, 2014, Card-Shark wrote:
Yes, it comes with two decks of cards and the gimmicks. No other cards are needed. All you need are two wine glasses and a silk?

If you are not using wine glasses, you would be crazy, as you would take away the third dimension of the display.

Henry Evans just bought this effect from me last weekend (two btw, as he - like most pros - buys two of the same trick, when he really wants to put it into his repertoire), and he called it a "vertical effect", what makes it VERY strong and well suited for any audience size.

Guys, I tell you the truth: exactly ten years ago I started doing magic. As an amateur magician. I bought a lot of effects from dealers that sounded amazing and I paid my "education fee", to find out that the tricks I bought did not hold what they promised. I still know this feeling VERY well. And I hated it. I hate it that it still happens around the world. I hate that 80 % of all magic releases popping up have flaws that make them useless, hard to perform or not suitable for the magician who purchased the effect. You will NEVER EVER have this problem when you purchase a Card-Shark effect. Promised. 100 %.

I give you my word for EVERY single release that you will LOVE what you get. That you will NEVER have the feeling to receive an overpriced product. That you NEVER will be dissatisfied with the method used, the props provided or any other bad experience that we all know from past purchases in Magic.

When you meet me at conventions, you will find out that I am a very honest person. I will show you the method used, the necessary cautions to perform an effect etc. I love every effect as my brain child. I want to give it in good hands. Not in full magic drawers. There is already enough clutter around. Get rid of it. Get out. Do great magic. The Sympathetic Ten is definitely an effect that you will add to your show, and you will see that it has the potential to be your closer effect. [/quote]

Well said my friend, that's class!
Just received mine late this afternoon. :D

Probably won't get a chance to watch the DVD until tomorrow or over the weekend. I'll post back with my thoughts on it.

Jim
Mine is scheduled to arrive on Monday, I'd be interested to hear your initial thoughts.
Obviously this is a great trick.
My concern is that I got Helder Guimaraes 's Ontology project. And in Helder's project , there is a trick called Deepest Sympathy which look nearly the same as this one. I use deepest sympathy and get great reaction. However my card seems to getting wear out due to numbers of performance. And helder's project is no longer available.
So before I put it on my cart. Can anyone tell me what the difference between helder' version and this version. many thanks
Is there anything different or "new" to the Sympathetic 10 than the classic old Sympathetic cards?

Thanks
@Choi Sin To: Helder's version is based on Joerg Alexander's Sympathetic Ten as far as I know, at least he was inspired when he saw Joerg's version. Joerg had no problems when Helder released his take on the Sympathetic Cards, just to avoid any discussions into an unnecessary direction. There are not so many differences between Joerg's and Helder's version; as far as I understand Joerg, Helder is using more gimmicked cards.

@Swann101: what is old, what is classic, and what is new? Joerg's version was first published many many years ago in several publications, but never including cards, never as thoroughly taught as on this DVD. On the DVD, Joerg goes into extreme detail which versions exist, gives the whole history of the Sympathetic cards, how his plot started and who helped with it. Magicians who will receive the Sympathetic Ten in the next few days will be able to confirm that.

Professionals prefer using Joerg's version, as it is very streamlined and entertaining. Mago Migue, FISM winner 2000 and 2003, for instance, prefers his presentation.
@Card-Shark: Ok I understand, this is Joerg's version but with an explanation DVD.

I remember buying Joerg's cards some time back and thought he brought out a new version, but thanks for clarifying!

This is an amazing piece of magic and has been one of my favourites!
Lovely release Christian! Thank you for this!
This is really too good to be released! IMHO!
[quote]On Dec 5, 2014, Slydini62 wrote:
This is really too good to be released! IMHO! [/quote]

It's a bit late for that, really; it was invented by Nate Leipzig in 1922... it's nearly a hundred years old!

Jamie
Jamie

I know the history about Sympathetic cards. Just sayin this release makes it more known and it is a BIG part of my show.

FV
Actually, Leipzig didn't invent it, and he was very quick to tell that to people who praised him for this trick. Although he did always say that he made it better...
And so did Jörg ;-)
OK - the suspense is killing me; who DID invent it?

Jim
Just watch the DVD and you know exactly.
I've always enjoyed this effect since reading Dingle's version in his book.
Anyone know who invented this routine? I don't want to buy the DVD to find out - I already have a set of Dingle's original cards for this!
The trick itself was invented by British magician Herbert Milton around 1920 (see also Jinx, issue 53) and performed by him. Ever since many have played with it and Nate Leipzig probably was the first one popularizing it. Joerg's routine and handling are superb and for sure one of the best solutions. It has been published by him already in German several times many years ago. Neil Leister was the first one who produced the necessary cards with Bics for me long time ago. Jan
Thanks Jan, that saved me going back and watching the DVD to tell Jamie. ;)

With "the trick" Jan means the plot of changing the order of cards into another order, matching the random order of a different assortment of cards.

There are several versions out there, some are pretty boring and would not survive the attention span of today's spectators anymore. And that is what makes Jörg's version so interesting: it is THE one that has the most streamlined and entertaining plot of all, in my point of view (and many others).
My set came in today - 2 decks and one set of gaffs
Absolutely LOVE this plot, great gaffs and DVD too.
This is classic parlor magic at its finest.
This just may have to get my vote for trick of the year!
Are the gaffs available in Bicycle ?
[quote]On Dec 8, 2014, Ypnoze wrote:
Are the gaffs available in Bicycle ? [/quote]

Not from Card-Shark. I don’t know of anyone else making it presently.

Jim
Definitely not in that quality. But where is the problem? Why use Bicycles (anyway)?
Karl Hein was performing/lecturing in London and he used a Phoenix Deck. Unintentionally inside was a Bicycle gimmick, he fooled hinself and hundreds of magicians with it before he noticed the fact during the explanation.

You could for instance put the whole deck into a Bicycle box. With artistic decks under the name Bicycle popping up every week, who would question another one? The back design of the cards does not play a role in this effect anyway.
While the effect may be the same, Joerg's routine is incredibly well thought out. I learned it from the Flicking Fingers book and have seen Joerg perform his version live several times. It is a real winner.
First review anybody?
I picked this up from Card Shark at the International Convention, and love it! The DVD is well produced Joerg goes through all the details including two ways to prepare the sealed deck, tips on certain parts of the handling etc. it is the little details like this that show he has worked this for a number of years.

The gaffs are as you would expect from Card Shark excellent quality, and you get two decks of Phoenix cards so you really are ready to go.

If you have read the routine in the Flicking Fingers book it really is what it is, you couldn't do this without the gaffs, and now having them readily available in this quality is brilliant.

I have the Ontology version as well, the difference without trying to give too much away, is in the Ontology version you can show the full deck of all four suits cleanly at the start of the routine, but you don't get the reversed card element of the routine and you can't show the cards as 'freely' as you can in Joerg's version as they come out of the glass.

Personally I really don't think the trade of showing the entire deck before the routine in Ontology weighs against losing the reversed card element and the better show at the end but that would be a personal choice I think.

All in all very happy with this!
This is the best thing that I have ever purchased in fifteen years in magic.
I would have to agree with Ian, just got this...initially it seemed a bit pricey..but upon further inspection and watching this, the production value of the gimmicks, the card decks (two Phoenix decks are included), the DVD, and the excellent teaching, as well as the fact that the routine is really streamlined for today's short attention span audiences, this might be one of the best tricks I've purchased in a very long time.
I highly recommend it, if you like the Sympathetic card plot
I like the routine. I've only seen it on the Finger Flickers DVD set, but didn't care for the force he used.
On the Flicking Fingers DVD you only saw his presentation, no explanation.
This release is the first time Jörg explains it on DVD. And what a great teacher he is.
Yes, but that doesn't mean he can't understand the force used from the presentation.

The explanation is in the book.
[quote]On Dec 20, 2014, Tom G wrote:
I like the routine. I've only seen it on the Finger Flickers DVD set, but didn't care for the force he used. [/quote]

Not so much a fan of this force on the DVD, either...too much chance for it to go wrong...anyone else do this? If so, which force do you use?
[quote]On Dec 22, 2014, dooblehorn wrote:
[quote]On Dec 20, 2014, Tom G wrote:
I like the routine. I've only seen it on the Finger Flickers DVD set, but didn't care for the force he used. [/quote]

Not so much a fan of this force on the DVD, either...too much chance for it to go wrong...anyone else do this? If so, which force do you use? [/quote]

I've been using his fan force without any problems so far.

Jim
I feel a bit Christmassy today and so here's a solution for those that don't like the fan !@#$*.

When the spectator has finished mixing his packet ask him to take it behind his back.
Reverse the top card and put it somewhere in the centre of the pack.
So, he now has a packet of cards with one card reversed in the middle.

You now take the cards back and continue as normal ;)
I cant view any of the vids here but I will have too when I get home.
David...that is a wonderful idea.
I recently bought this so my wife could give it to me for Christmas. But, I had this made up years ago (Cards by Martin) and performed it several times. The fan force never went wrong but it does have the potential should the spectator delay saying "stop". Your idea eliminates that moment completely.

MB
No problem MB.
Glad you like it.

David
Thanks for the tip, great idea
@David: interesting idea, like it. I would definitely promote the Fan Force, but for all magicians out there who are fearing problems, this is a good alternative.
Message: Posted by: TheTableTopTrixta (Dec 22, 2014 03:55PM)
Great idea Dave, I like it a lot!

I have to say this is one of the most beautiful pieces of magic out there. The gaffs and dvd are top draw. Also shipping at Christmas time from Germany in 3 days is amazing. I will be using The Car Shark a lot more now. Brilliant project I can't wait to use it for real.
Its a great idea David, thank you very much for sharing!
No problem guys!
Thanx David ... great idea. Always was a little bit "afraid" of the F...F...
[quote]On Dec 22, 2014, TheTableTopTrixta wrote:
Great idea Dave, I like it a lot!

I have to say this is one of the most beautiful pieces of magic out there. The gaffs and dvd are top draw. Also shipping at Christmas time from Germany in 3 days is amazing. I will be using The Car Shark a lot more now. Brilliant project I can't wait to use it for real. [/quote]
Glad you got yours ok, however it doesn't always work out like that when using companies from abroad. I also live in the UK and ordered this along with two other tricks and 4packs of cards on the 9th dec thinking that would be plenty of time for Christmas. When it hadn't arrived on the 22nd I contacted card shark to see whether they had a shipping number so I could track it. I received a reply saying that they had checked the tracking number and it seems to have dissapeared on the 10th with no other information for it. So they have asked the couriers to have a look for it and have asked me to be patient. Just to make things worse they are on holiday now until the 5th of Jan !!!!
I am not happy but nothing I can do
Hi Rowland, same for us: we are not happy that your parcel did not arrive so far.
It is the same shipping company (GLS) that shipped all the other orders from UK that got there quickly within a couple of days.

We already started a complaint, and we are expecting their response quickly. In Germany nobody works on 24, 25 and 26 of December. As Online Business is getting stronger and stronger against retail business (when have you been to a Brick and Mortar Magic Shop the last time?), the amount of parcels that were shipped with all the different couriers must have been enormous. GLS and UPS are very reliable, but now and then something can go wrong as everywhere, sorry that it hit you. We are on the mercy of shipping companies and we learned our lessons to use these very reliable ones that we can track and that are quick when searching a lost shipment.

The fact that my team is not working until the 5th of January is not worse but ok. They deserve it. I am so busy with preparing two upcoming conventions beginning of January that I am working anyway. So feel free to contact me. And when I get feedback of GLS I will let you know as well.

FYI: when we inform GLS, I don't expect their feedback but their special attention to a missing parcel so that they go and search and deliver it quickly and not have to tell me it is flying around in a sorting center. ;-)

I wish everyone a Merry Christmas.
[quote]On Dec 22, 2014, David Klass wrote:
I feel a bit Christmassy today and so here's a solution for those that don't like the fan !@#$*.

When the spectator has finished mixing his packet ask him to take it behind his back.
Reverse the top card and put it somewhere in the centre of the pack.
So, he now has a packet of cards with one card reversed in the middle.

You now take the cards back and continue as normal ;) [/quote]
Excellent! I'll give this a whirl
Thanks for the GREAT suggestion

:coolspot:
Once in a blue moon, the Magic Café provides a solution to a problem that's been bugging me for years. And, this is one of those times. I think this is a perfect solution.

Thanks so much for sharing this, David!

Robert
This is my Christmas present to myself. Just ordered it. I'm not normally moved by cards, but Eric's presentation is strong magic. I love stumbling upon something that hits me (jaded as we magic practitioners are) and this one did it.
Thank you so much, I just saw your order. My team will take care once they are back from their holidays.
Hi Card Shark it is a shame your web site does not show you are closed until the 5th Jan
I also placed an ad for 3 tricks which I hoped would arrive the week after Christmas obviously they will not
Also my order shows a postage charge which I believe over a certain figure should not be charged
I did send an email but I now realise no one is there to answer
When you go to my website there is a banner showing that we are closed.
I answer all (urgent) emails though. I am sure I answered your email, please check your spam or advertisement folder, I recently heared from some magicians that gmx put my message into their advertisement folder for no reason.

We are a small (but growing) family run business and need our time out like you all as well. In 2014 I attended about 20 conventions around the world, Roger, my friend and Card-Shark USA did allconventions in USA and England as well. There is never the perfect moment to close down, but we have to do it.

As I (and Roger and the rest of my team) packed all Sympathetic Ten, prepared all Whitewash, shipped out a crazy amount of orders etc. , we all were exhausted and needed some days off.
We live in a world where everybody expects everything at once and with no delay. Good things sometimes need preparation. ;-)
Since we sent out our announcement newsletter on Black Friday, I was nearly every night in my warehouse preparing items that needed to be shipped the next day. I need a (short) break. Good that my wife does not read this. ;-)

I wish you all some relaxed days with your family and things that really matter. Last but not least I wish you a Magical and prosperous 2015!
Back on track!!! This effect is fantastic. I love a really good parlor trick. I have used DS cards and they usually KILL. This effect is very nicely put together. I agree on the force. I wasnt liking that either and it makes sense by having them flip a card over after they shuffled them. Highly recommend this trick. I worked with Roger in the States and he was prompt and very professional. Roger some how got my shipment out before he left for a trip to the UK. I told him he didn't need to and he did it any how. Christian, he deserves a raise :)
Yes, Roger was nice enough to pack and ship the last orders until about one hour before he left to the airport. He is a piece of gold, and grew into being part of my family, it feels as if he is my older brother.
I'm deployed wonder if I should wait till I return?
Great sollution David! I just finished watching the dvd and, as expected, this is another top notch mind-blower from Card Shark
Based upon the strong recommendation of many, I am going to go ahead and place an order. It seems I won't be disappointed.

Card shark: you deserve a well deserved holiday break and I look forward to receiving this after you and your company return from your vacation. Thanks again for producing a wonderful piece of magic.
Hocus Pocus has Sympathetic Ten by Jorg Alexander for preorder and it will be in this month.

If you haven't seen the video yet you have to watch it. It also has some great testimonials. I cannot wait for this one to get here so I can try it out!

http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?p=28627

Cole
Hocus Pocus
I performed this a few times over the holidays and it really stood out. Highly recommended... one of the best purchases you will make.
Nice to read your comments. Did you do it some what close up? Any sleights involved? Reed
A few were close up and one was parlour style. Its one of those effects that plays well one on one or for a full audience. It's relatively easy to perform- just some minimal slights.
Been toying with the idea of trying different cards to Bicycles having bought a few dud decks recently (which is a big deal here in Tenerife as I have to import them in). Then Mr Nardi made me rethink it again having bought Limitless. Went to Card-Sharks site to look around re Phoenix cards. When I stumbled upon Sympathetic 10..... Am putting together a parlour show and have been looking for a real in your face, visual head scratcher with no (from specs point of view) chance of "jiggery pokery" on the part of the magician. Having watched a few vid of this effect and the comments here... Just ordered it. Just ordered a few cards as well to see if I will be jumping the dyke so to speak.

Will feedback my findings from a relatively inexperienced performers point of view when I get them all - the cards and Sympathetic 10.
Mine arrived today
Brilliant routine easy to follow DVD and the prep fun to do
I will use David's suggestion instead of the fan xxxxx thanks for that David
Same result with no risk
I've done this a number of times already... don't be afraid of the fan force.

I like the force because it gets another spectator involved, and it seems so fair.

Although I love David's suggestion, someone could think that you did some sleight of hand to change which card is reversed.

I say bolder is better. : )

Either way it's a great trick!
[quote]On Jan 12, 2015, Tim Hannig wrote:
I've done this a number of times already... don't be afraid of the fan force.

I like the force because it gets another spectator involved, and it seems so fair.

Although I love David's suggestion, someone could think that you did some sleight of hand to change which card is reversed.

I say bolder is better. : )

Either way it's a great trick! [/quote]

I actually agree. I too use the fan force :)
Our stock has arrived with us today in the UK and this lives up to all my expectations.

It's easy to do and a great package and DVD teaching.

You can check it out here http://www.saturnmagic.co.uk/new-magic/sympathetic-ten-by-jrg-alexander.html
TaDa! Mine arrived today, after an unexpected delay in shipping due to convention attendance by the mfg./distributors. First thoughts, very nice. Great subtleties in handling throughout. Great packaging and good production values (shakey/noisy cameras, etc., but whatever) and nice explanations and directions. Won't review until performed in real world, but this looks like a winner.

Now my question, which many will find absurd but those who know me know my passion towards music. Can anyone tell me what music is used while the menu screens, etc play? I don't wish to use it, I just like it. Perhaps someone at chard shark or even Saturn might be able to tell me.

Any response greatly appreciated.
Funny you mention it, I also enjoyed the music used on the menu screens.
Sympathetic 10 beautiful effect for parlour. The explanation is very clear and I also like the alternative force by David. Although I think it is stronger if people can see the actual card reversed. I wonder if there could be be another way of doing this without using the fan force. The fan force never looks very fair to me.
I like that effect a lot but I don't like the fact that you have to force exact card with provided gimmick. Jorg is left handed and forcing that card is not very comfortable for right handed person.
I demonstrated this effect at the recent conventions and NEVER failed with the Fan Force. Use it!!!!

The music I chose for the DVD is from Smartsound. I really like the way how you can choose a song and then even can edit the output. You can find it here:
http://www.smartsound.com/royalty-free-music/Above+And+Beyond/Illuminated+Mind/
Anyone know if the MMS Wonder Sealer is still being made? If you're going to perform this effect a lot, the sealer would come in handy. Just a thought.
[quote]On Oct 30, 2014, ABK-Magic wrote:
[quote]On Oct 29, 2014, dj wrote:

http://vimeo.com/97311307 [/quote]

Ohhh yes, this is brilliant too. I can highly recommend all of his books. Very clever and very good routines and effects. [/quote]

where I could find it?
After my parcel getting stuck in customs, I finally got my copy (with a few boxes of Phoenix Cards) about 2 weeks ago. As promised here is my review - remember its from a relatively inexperienced performers stand point.

The cards supplied are of great quality and the DVD is really good. The tuition, history and explanation is first class. If you didn't know about him or the trick before watching the DVD, you can really tell he has worked this effect extensively.

I more or less "got it" having watched it a couple of times. the ONLY thing that scared me was the F** !@#$*... For me it is very bold... with my lack of experience that kind of stuff doesn't half make me a bit edgy. Anyway I practised it all and gave it the usual spin with the other half... It got her 1st try without any problem, except the F** !@#$*... I think I telegraphed it a wee bit, and the patter to "get me out of the miss, didn't really go down well with her as she smelled a rat - She usually does - but once the reveal happened it threw her, even with my nervy F F. Why? Cause even though she smelled something "happened then" she couldn't get it to connect with what happened in the final reveal.

Last Saturday I performed it for the first time live with a "real" audience. After the usual table hopping at the restaurant, the usual thing happened with the "last table stragglers"... "Can you show us something else". So, in a impromptu "parlour setting" I did a mystery box routine then went into Sympathetic 10. It totally fried them, even got just under €30 in tips from doing it.

SInce then I have done it 7 times and it has fried every single time. I have only missed the FF once out of those 7 and it wasnt noticed a bit. It fried every single time.

Well worth the money.

On a seperate note... PHOENIX CARDS.

As I said previously, of late I have gotten a few dud boxes of bicycle cards and to further annoy me the latest box I ordered have a stupid graphic on the front of the box which, for me, cheapens things even more. out of that last brick 4 out of the 12 packets were crap.

The phoenix cards....... different class.... well cut, nice feel and both way faro's with no "breaking in". I will have to use them longer to confirm everything, but so far they remain in a "usable" state far longer than bicycle cards. Specs don't seem to care about the "different looking backs" either. The only problem is the gaffs I got for some of my favourite tricks. I am worried about the specs being suspicious if I swapped in bike just to do those tricks.

IMHO the quicker all the magic producers etc swap over to Phoenix cards the better.
I purchased this recently at Blackpool and give it my highest recommendation will go straight into my A list.

I love his McDonald's aces routines but does anyone know if his books are available in English as this routine is explained in one of them.

Barry
Yes, I think is is available as well, under Fant Ace tic or so. I can find out.
Thanks Christian but I can't find it do you have a link

Barry
Yes please ;-)
Does anyone know if it's possible to buy just the cards or replacements?
The effect is explained in the book by Flicking Fingers "The Book" Don't Forget to Point.
The cards can easily be made which is gone over, so you don't have to worry about buying cards as long as you have a deck.
Swayne100 - I think it will take you a very, very long time to wear out those cards. Remember, you don't shuffle them so you're not wearing them out that way. As well, they're made by Card Shark and are high quality.

I suspect you could do the effect for years before having to look for replacements.

You should try to keep them clean, of course, so that they don't look out of place but that's easy.

Having said that, perhaps Christian will consider selling replacements for magicians who lose their cards or damage them somehow. What about it, Christian?
Hi davidpaul$ : "The cards can easily be made which is gone over...".

Would you please develop ?

I asked Card-Shark if it was possible to get extra set of special cards... Said "yes"... for 6 euros each special card... :-(
[quote]On Mar 26, 2015, Patrice wrote:
Hi davidpaul$ : "The cards can easily be made which is gone over...".

Would you please develop ?

I asked Card-Shark if it was possible to get extra set of special cards... Said "yes"... for 6 euros each special card... :-( [/quote]

Although the cards are going to last a long time, that seems really expensive for a gaffed card. I can't see why they should cost that compared to other gaffs.
[quote]On Mar 19, 2015, doiron wrote:
Swayne100 - I think it will take you a very, very long time to wear out those cards. Remember, you don't shuffle them so you're not wearing them out that way. As well, they're made by Card Shark and are high quality.

I suspect you could do the effect for years before having to look for replacements.

You should try to keep them clean, of course, so that they don't look out of place but that's easy.

Having said that, perhaps Christian will consider selling replacements for magicians who lose their cards or damage them somehow. What about it, Christian? [/quote]

It is true that they will take years to wear out but a lot of pros like to have a spare of their working act
Hi Rowland

"It is true that they will take years to wear out but a lot of pros like to have a spare of their working act"

It's one of the reason. The other one is that this effect doesn't let you the choice for the card to be turned out.
I contacted Card-Shark to propose new sets of cards in order to offer new possibilities. Christian Schenk answered : "amateur magicians show many tricks to a few people, while professionals show few trick to many people. Probably that is the reason why nobody ever mentioned anything. :-) "

I agree. I'm not a professional magician... But I think that - perhaps - even professional magician would appreciate to be able to perform this trick with the choice of an other card... Magicians working for cabarets, cruises, and so on.
Since Christian from Card-Shark came up with this; my orders for just the replacement cards exploded. THX Christian!
His version is Spades; and Phoenix Aces - I still sell the original cards made in Bicycle Clubs.
Some of you were clever ..... buying the DVD along with the cards and asking me for just 2 special replacement cards to convert Phoenix into Bicycle.
All that can be done by me ;-)
Hi CardMaker.

Do you sell only handmade cards for this effect ?
@Patrice

Yes, handmade from genuine Bicycle cards.
Just got mine yesterday. I agree that it will take a very long time to wear out the cards, especially since the majority of the handling is with the cards you can easily replace with a new deck. Brilliant hard-hitting effect made better with some minor updating vs older method.
Does anyone know if CardMaker is still producing gaffs? What happened to his website? Now when I go to http://www.magicbycardmaker.com/ it takes me to a Chinese hair loss site.
[quote]On Sep 24, 2015, Phatmeat wrote:
Does anyone know if CardMaker is still producing gaffs? What happened to his website? Now when I go to http://www.magicbycardmaker.com/ it takes me to a Chinese hair loss site. [/quote]

Actually you can use any double-facers; just adjust the cards you use on the other side to match. Think about it...

Jim
@J-Mac
That can be done. But .... it requires THINKING!
Since I make a bunch of replacement cards for various marketed tricks, every (!) customer still wants to stick with the suits of cards used in the description of their paid trick. Using other combinations, card suits an so on makes the magician different from other perfoming the same trick in the same town.
But hey - anybode to his likings and his brain skills ;-)
.....and please ignore my sarcasm.
No problem. Remember, he couldn't find your website when he asked... And I don’t know how to reach you!

(And who wants to be like all those other magicians anyway?!) ;)

Thanks!

Jim
Wait, did they stop making these?
Paisa, the trick is still being produced. CardShark produces the gaffs using Phoenix cards. For anyone interested in getting a set of standard Bicycle gaff cards, CardMaker custom produces those.
Has anyone found the ideal type of wine glass to use with this effect? I've checked several stores and so far I haven't found a wine glass that has all the right characteristics. The ideal wine glass would have a long stem and would be able to fit and firmly hold 10 poker sized playing cards without the cards flopping around. All of the wine glasses I've looked at so far either have a diameter that is too small where the cards won't fit, or a diameter that is too large where the cards flop around inside the glass. As long as the cards fit inside of the wine glass it would technically work, but if they have too much room the flop around I think the effect looks kind of sloppy. The wine glass that Joerg uses has all of the characteristics. Just can't seem to find one like his.
Does anyone have any online site that they have had good luck with finding the right wine glasses. Still can't locate ones that hold the cards right.
I use the Edge wine glasses from Crate & Barrel (15 oz):
http://m.crateandbarrel.com/edge-wine-glasses/f6633

I have also used these ones to good success:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014IY5W4C/ref=sr_ph_1?qid=1457220600&sr=sr-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=magnetic+wine+glass+kuuk

The edge ones are nice looking nice and the fact it is flat at the bottom help the cards fit nicely. The other ones are great for travel since they pack safe and small, and they are plastic. Not quite as nice looking, but since you won't be doing this close up, they will look just fine.

That's my 2 cents....good luck! It's an excellent effect.
The cheap one's from Ikea are perfect. (Europe)
I found mine in a thrift store. Just take one of the cards with you so you can see how it fits. Hope that helps.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Going to click at Saturn this is right up my street!!!!!!
[quote]On Mar 5, 2016, jordanjohnson wrote:
Does anyone have any online site that they have had good luck with finding the right wine glasses. Still can't locate ones that hold the cards right. [/quote]

Yes, these are the PERFECT glasses for Sympathetic 10 or any card in glass effect, or if you just want to display a card in a glass.

These cost a bit more than the .79 cent glasses from Ikea but they are great glasses, especially if you travel or carry your show in a case. They're the absolute best I have found.

First, they fit poker size cards perfectly.
Second, they are made of polycarbonate and intended for outdoor use so they are very rugged and durable. They will not break like glass will.
Third, they unscrew where the stem meets the bowl and then the stem locks inside of the bowl so it is not only protected but is also more compact and takes up a lot less precious space in your case. But you cannot tell that they unscrew, they look like a totally solid, one piece glass.
Fourth, they look classy and elegant and your audience will believe they are real glass.
They're only 7 bucks or so and worth every penny IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-Nesting-Wine-Glass/dp/B0081X6MFU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1460158103&sr=8-2&keywords=gsi+nesting+wine+glass
[quote]On May 4, 2016, On The Offbeat wrote:
[quote]On Mar 5, 2016, jordanjohnson wrote:
Does anyone have any online site that they have had good luck with finding the right wine glasses. Still can't locate ones that hold the cards right. [/quote]

Yes, these are the PERFECT glasses for Sympathetic 10 or any card in glass effect, or if you just want to display a card in a glass.

These cost a bit more than the .79 cent glasses from Ikea but they are great glasses, especially if you travel or carry your show in a case. They're the absolute best I have found.

First, they fit poker size cards perfectly.
Second, they are made of polycarbonate and intended for outdoor use so they are very rugged and durable. They will not break like glass will.
Third, they unscrew where the stem meets the bowl and then the stem locks inside of the bowl so it is not only protected but is also more compact and takes up a lot less precious space in your case. But you cannot tell that they unscrew, they look like a totally solid, one piece glass.
Fourth, they look classy and elegant and your audience will believe they are real glass.
They're only 7 bucks or so and worth every penny IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-Nesting-Wine-Glass/dp/B0081X6MFU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1460158103&sr=8-2&keywords=gsi+nesting+wine+glass [/quote]

Well, I ordered these and received them today. While they do allow for less card to protrude from the top the packet flops front to back much more than the IKEA glasses I purchased... a critical point if not wishing to alert the specs to anything shady. I also notice that the stem is (for me) more difficult to manipulate. I do like the fact that it breaks down and is shatterproof, but I think I'll stick with the IKEA for now and transport everything in a padded case.
I'll give this a shot.
Well I gave it a shot. Great trick, can't wait to use it.

As far as the sealing the deck bit seems like you could go thru a lot of decks getting plastic off.

I found this sealer unit called wonder sealer

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/10066

Anyone know of other such devices? I see myself using the quite a bit.

J
I just got this, and it is at the top of my list for tricks to perform. Some ideas in response to the above discussion:

1. One could easily make the gaffs from cards from Card-Shark's Double Decker. Those should be thin enough to get by making your own DFs.

2. The instructions tell you how to make the sealed deck. Open it from the bottom. Cut the film. Glue the bottom flaps shut. As soon as you pull out the deck, pull the cellphone film off (I make a comment about saving it, because at some point I use it to switch to a large rhinestone in the participant's hand). Also, a lot faster then fighting with the pull strip. Then hand the sealed deck out for inspection.

3. Having the participant insert an inverted card behind their back is a good alternative to the fan !@#$*. Since you switch the packets as the next step, it does not matter where they put it.

4. I saw some glasses that looked like they would work in a dollar plus store. They fit the cards, but I did not get them, so I do not know how they work in practice. I am looking for a plastic set as a backup.

5. My own presentation involves using the trick as an illustration of (Geek Alert) quantum entanglement.
The Ikea wine glasses that some of you are using for this, are they the Svalka 8 oz of Svalka 10 oz?

These:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/svalka-white-wine-glass-clear-glass-00015134/

Or these:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/svalka-red-wine-glass-clear-glass-30015123/

Those are the only ones I see on Ikea's site that are under $1 per glass.

The wine glasses I have here at home (3 different sizes) are all too big (we like wine :) ). The packet of cards flop forward and backward in the glass.

Mark
I visited an Ikea and wasn't finding any of their wine glasses to be the right fit. Then I noticed an under-counter wine glass holder that was on display and it had three wine glasses on it (and held in place with zip ties). One of those wine glasses was a different size than others on display. I slipped a packet of cards into the glass and they fit nicely (though, a little bit of the tops of the cards protruded past the top of the glass). I asked an employee and she said that that single glass was a size/model that they used to sell but no longer carry. She said it had been 2-3 years since they had that size (the one there had been attached to the glass holder for years). She said they used to sell that size as singles (now all of their wine glasses are in 6-packs).

So, so much for Ikea.

Next stop was a Dollar Tree store. They had a large selection of wine glasses but none seemed to be the preferred size. Finally, I found a single glass way at the back of a lower shelf that was a perfect fit. The glass was a bit thick and heavy and wasn't crystal clear (a slight grayness to the color of the glass) but the cards fit beautifully. The top of the cards were exactly even with the top of the glass and the back and forth movement of the packet within the glass was very minimal. But they only had one.

I purchased it anyway and set off to visit a second Dollar Tree store. There I found two more of correct size and purchased those as well.

Only when I got them home did I realize that all three of them were slightly different in size/shape with regard to the stem/base/foot. Here's a photo of the three, pay particular attention to the base/foot and the thickness of the stem.

[img]https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-mwDw5Hb/0/4121c9d6/4K/i-mwDw5Hb-4K.jpg[/img]

Here's a larger version (will open a new window):

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-mwDw5Hb/0/4121c9d6/4K/i-mwDw5Hb-4K.jpg

These will obviously work but I'll continue to check various dollar stores as I visit them.

Oh, I also found plastic ones with the right size bowl at the 2nd Dollar Tree. They had a blue stem but the bowl was clear. What I didn't like about the plastic ones was the inside lip seemed quite sharp. I fear that I'd scrape up the edges of the cards from repeated use with those plastic ones. I didn't buy any.

Mark
Should check Walmart, I went to buy wine glasses for a specific trick. They have a variety.
I purchased a Wonder Sealer and had some gimmicked Bicycle Ace cards made so I can do it with a Bicycle deck. I also got genuine USPCC black sticker seals directly from USPCC. Now I perform it using a Bicycle deck. I’ll be performing it tonight.

The Wonder Sealer works great. But it seems everyone is out of the refill wrappers. I hope they become available again.

Mark
SEO Magic is selling a collapsible wine glass. Kind of pricey at $18 each but it may save some people from running all over town sticking cards into glasses. 😀

https://www.seomagic-usa.com/product_info.php/products_id/2355
The glasses used by Joshua Jay would be perfect for this.
SEO Magic is selling a collapsible wine glass. Kind of pricey at $18 each but it may save some people from running all over town sticking cards into glasses. 😀

https://www.seomagic-usa.com/product_inf......_id/2355
I've messed with plenty of collapsible, plastic and real glass wine glasses for various tricks over the years. Without a doubt, the best ones I've used are coming from Vanishing Inc. They are pricey, but they are made of a durable plastic, screw into place instead of a magnet and washer or similar, and are perfectly sized with straight edges to fit a deck of cards without tilting issues. They also come with a nice protective case. They had a few at Magic LIVE, so I snagged a couple and they have been awesome. I'm not sure if they are officially released on the site yet, but while pricey, they tick all the boxes for me and were totally worth it.
I performed Sympathetic 10 for a group of 22 friends tonight. These are friends that meet at our house regularly for a non magic event. I've been doing magic at these gatherings for the last several months. The feedback has been very positive. But, without a doubt, the feedback following tonight's Sympathetic 10 performance was the best so far. They LOVED it! They were blown away. When the Ace in the wine glass changed to a 5 before their very eyes there was an audible gasp from the crowd. I heard one person comment "no 'effing way"! Then when all of the other 9 cards matched they broke into applause.

What a fun trick to perform!

Mark