(Close Window)
Topic: Horrible Day for Me
If I had a heart, it would be broken. If I had a soul, it would be shattered. Maddie died in my arms at around 5:30 this morning. She wasn't looking well when My wife checked on her after my son left for work so I picked her up and held her in my room. She barely lasted 10 minutes from there. It was like she was just hanging in to say goodby to me. She purred twice then went limp (ironically while Comfortably Numb was playing on the radio). She was dumped in the woods near the Ohio river as a kitten and my nieces found her and brought her to my wife. We had just found out that I had Cancer around that same week and I spent a lot of time sitting around wondering what was going to happen to me. The one common thing I always had was this little kitten sitting with me (probably wondering the same thing). For the next 3 years every time I came home from the hospital, she was the first to greet me in my room and hardly left my side when I needed her most. I am happy that I was able to be at her side during her short run of illness in the end. Rest In Peace "Madders"

She had been sick for a month. One trip to the vet er a few weeks age got her some fluids shot under her skin and she got her spunk back. less that 10 days later she was even worse than the first time so we went to our regular vet who found out she had Hepetitus. He kept her overnight on fluids and antibiotics and she was peppy when we brought her home. later she got a bit lethargic and was holding her head funny so we gave her her meds and hand fed kitty milk and water. we were going to take her back in this morning but she didn't make it. Dr is pretty sure she had to have had a stroke. Sometimes when they get re-hydrated their blood pressure comes back up and an existing clot can move. No way to tell but at 3 years old and otherwise healthy, that was the best guess. She will be sadly missed. (and I am normally not an animal person like my wife - she is a rescue person, we have 10 dogs 5 cats (now) and 4 birds) Maddie was "MY" little stray. :kitty:
I am so sorry for your loss! Hugs, Poof-Daddy! I send my thoughts and prayers to your end.

Charles
Sorry to hear that PD. I wish you better times ahead.
Message: Posted by: Mark Boody Illusionist (Nov 6, 2014 05:14PM)
Sorry for your loss! We will be in my prayers.

Mark
Message: Posted by: Mark Boody Illusionist (Nov 6, 2014 05:15PM)
Correction: YOU and your family will be in my prayers.
That was a tough story to read. Very honest and heart-felt. Thank you for sharing it with us poof-daddy.

I am sorry to hear of your and Maddy's struggles. You will be present in my mind.
Sincerely sorry for your loss, PD.

Leslie and I have had our share of heartbreak this past year with 3 of our pets dying. All were rescued from bad situations. It doesn't get any easier. But the happy memories of their unconditional love will always live on in our hearts.
I think the hardest part is finally letting go. I laid in bed and held her for almost 6 hours until I could finally work up the nerve to put her down long enough to dig a grave for her in the back yard by the flower bed. I know it had to come one day but she was only 3 and otherwise healthy till last month. I know her memory will last but for one reason or another, we had a very deep connection. Such is life I guess. :-)

Thanks to all for the warm thoughts.
In my thoughts, P-D. Horrible day, horrible year. Hope things start turning around.
So sorry. They leave a big hole in our lives when they go.
So sorry. They leave a big hole in our lives when they go.
It may help to remember that you filled a void in her life as well for a time.

Cats live short lives compared to us. Although this was a very short life it was a happy one because of you.

I think once an animal's life is filled with medical interventions it is sometimes more for us than for them.

Maddie left in grace and in your arms. This is not a bad ending for a Cat.

You will see her out of the corner of your eye for years to come. I always take some comfort in my Cats' quiet presence on my life long after their passing.

I hope you will too.

-Mary
There is no gift greater than to share the pain of another -- to be human -- to live life.
I hear the song in the smile of an aging man.
I feel the power in falling leaves of autumn, knowing that it is part of life's renewal.

Look to the simple things ...

Sing in silent joy at the sight of a new mother --

at a kite dancing in the sky --

at an outstretched hand --
at a tiny kitten asleep in a window.

and follow
Sorry to hear this Poof Daddy. My cats were always like family members and I still miss them.
Thanks for letting me know I am not going nuts Mary. I do see her out of the corner of my eye a lot in the places she used to hunker down when I wasn't in my chair calling for her. And thanks to everyone else for their thoughts. I slept all day yesterday, for some reason it was just too hard to stay awake but I have got a lot to do on the weekends so I will be better today about staying up. My wife works from friday night till monday morning and has a place to stay for her tw off shifts (she works almost 75 miles away so she does her 40 on the weekend. Saves a ton of gas and she was always able to be home with me during the week when my cancer was in full bloom and I needed to go to the Dr every other day. Now that I am doing a lot better, I take care of the other animals (hers I call them) on Saturday and Sunday. At least my next couple days will be busy. :-)
[quote]On Nov 7, 2014, Mary Mowder wrote:
It may help to remember that you filled a void in her life as well for a time.

Cats live short lives compared to us. Although this was a very short life it was a happy one because of you.

I think once an animal's life is filled with medical interventions it is sometimes more for us than for them.

Maddie left in grace and in your arms. This is not a bad ending for a Cat.

You will see her out of the corner of your eye for years to come. I always take some comfort in my Cats' quiet presence on my life long after their passing.

I hope you will too.

-Mary [/quote]
What a lovely perspective and way of putting it. Thanks, Mary.
Sorry for your loss. Losing a pet really hurts.
I'm very sorry.
So sorry to hear about your loss.
Bob.
So sorry to hear that.
We had to put our husky-sheltie mix, Belladona, down last May.
A beloved pet is truly a family member.
That is sad, Poof, .damn sad! I know exactly how it feels.

Doug
Each animal is special and unique but there are some that are extra special who seem to come into our lives. Sometimes you not only save them but they end up saving you. It sounds as if Maddie was that extra special cat that came into your life at just the right time. She took the worries you were facing at the time as she became your focus. Along the way, no doubt, she helped with your healing as there is nothing more soothing that a purring cat on our lap and it seems as all is right with the world. I'm involved in animal rescue myself and along the way I've met those extra special ones that need a tad more TLC than the others. When so much care and compassion is involved with saving a little creature the bond becomes very strong. No doubt, I also know that because of that special bond some do wait until they are with their person to say their last good-byes. It's extremely hard to say good-bye but given the choice she didn't pass alone but in arms that loved her. For that, it's something in which you'll have no regrets although you would have wished for her to be with you for much longer. She'll live on forever in your mind and in your heart.

Your tribute to her was beautiful and heartfelt, it left me in tears. It was beautifully written. I'm sorry for the loss of your beautiful Maddie.

Hugs from me
I am sorry for your loss. It is something that only time can heal. Hopefully soon you will begin to remember and rejoice in the years of mutual affection. It will happen. It takes time.

Pets add so much to our lives that I even dislike the word. I think of my dogs more as "extended animal family". The unquestioned and unending love from them is wonderful.

Best to you and your family.