(Close Window)
Topic: Questions about cups and magic wands.
Hi ..
I just bought a magic wand with brass ends to use with my cups and balls routine. Cups and balls is something I want to master and move forward with so I am also looking at getting some Johnson Cups or James Riser cups ( if he can spin some soon ). But for now I am working with aluminum cups. Now when I do any kind of tapping on the aluminum cups they dent / mark / scratch a little. Now it is clear to me that it is because they are aluminum Cups but will the copper cups get damaged with the wand or do I need a different kind of wand maybe one with rubber tips?

Thanks
Richard
On a previous post in another thread, Bill Palmer recommends wood or plastic tips

Enjoy!!

Mike
I use a wooden wand which I got from a wood craftsman in China. It has got beautiful dragon pattern craved throughout the whole wand. It really matches with copper cups. I got about 3 of them. I think they are very unique and my audiences love the wand too. They always ask me to show them the wand after my cups and balls performance. :cups:
I have actually seen people use the handle of a carved backscratcher as a magic wand. Cut off the little hand, and it makes a cool wand.
Charlie Miller used to love to use the white cardboard tube that comes with wire coathangers.

A wooden stick or a bamboo section is a great wand. I made up a batch of bamboo wands from old cheap canes and various bits of bamboo.

There are some high end expensive wands with non metal tips that will not dent your cups. :light:
A chop stick is always interesting to use, they come in wood and plastic.

A nice clear plastic wand came with my Don Alan Bowl Routine I bought 40 years ago. The bagel did not last as long as the wand.

Bill
One thing you might think about using is a long piece of clear acrylic. You can get a 6 foot length of acrylic from your local plastics store for a few dollars, cut off what you want to use for a wand, and keep the rest for future projects.
Thanks for your answers. now the question is where can I find some of these wooden wands at? Anyone have any links?

Thanks
richard
Have a look at
http://www.roykueppers.com/Legendary/prod05.htm
He also makes custom wands.

Ulli
Curtis Kam uses an clear acrylic wand that looks nice.
Anyone know where to get them?

Best
Joe
There are some great wands on the market, but there's something about making your own that's very special. Perhaps more magical as cheesy as that sounds.

Wooden and acrylic wands are pretty easy to make if you've got a few minutes. Just get a 1/2 or 5/8 inch dowel in the medium you like (Bill mention using acrylic, or you can use oak, maple, iron wood, etc.). Then cut to the length you desire. A small tooth blade cuts acrylic pretty well by the well (read hack saw or coping saw). Better still if you have a band saw do it on that. Usually it's recommended that wands be the length of your forarm. However, I think that's mainly for something like Cellini's disappearing wand (Wand of Merlin) effect. Otherwise, pick the length you like. If your using wood, sand it well, carve any designs you like, stain it, and finish it with a coat or two on tung oil.

I've made several from oak that have turned out nice. Two I've left natural, carved "tips" into the ends (ala the wand that came with my phoenix cups) and finished it with two coats of tung oil. Another I carve tips into and left them natural and stain the middle section a dark mahogony. Cutting notches do delineate the tips also prevents the stain from bleeding into areas you don't want it. I've cut them approximately 14".

Mark
[quote]
On 2004-01-31 11:06, mystre71 wrote:
Curtis Kam uses an clear acrylic wand that looks nice.
Anyone know where to get them?

Best
Joe
[/quote]

See my previous post. You can polish the ends of the rod with a piece of sandpaper after you cut it. Then use finer and finer sandpaper to get it close to shiny. Finally, use acetone (in a VERY well-ventilated area) as your last polish.

ANY plastics supplier can get the rod for you. It may not actually be acrylic, it may be one of the other clear plastics, but your audience will never know the difference.

I also have a glass wand, but it is not suitable -- too hard.
I believe that repeated use with even plastic or wood tips may eventually damage the finish even on the highly polished and high quality Paul Fox cups.

I like the idea of rubber tips. Does anyone know if a quality wand with rubber tips has been made?

Any tips on where to find these?

If so,
It depends entirely upon the wood and the plastic in question. For example, nylon can be fairly soft. Some woods are also reasonably soft. Some kinds of rubber are fairly hard -- ebonite, which is used for bowling balls, can damage a cup. Also, rubber can, and usually does, contain sulfur, which will cause your cups to tarnish.

If you POUND on the cup with the wand, of course you will damage it. But the Phoenix cups are made of copper (actually bronze, as is the case with the Penguin cups), and the iron wood wand which comes with them doesn't hurt them unless you really whang away at them.

It doesn't take much of a hit with a metal tipped wand to scratch a copper cup. See James Riser's site for details on this.

http://www.jamesriser.com/Magic/Cup/Dings.html
I used a hand made wand for years, still like it. It was made from a parakeet perch I bought at Woolworths (Old timers remember Woolworths) To day think -Walmart.

Anyway it had a comfortable oval shape which not only felt good to hold but would not roll off the table. Today I only use a wand for my Benson Bowl Routine, and it is a piece from an end table. Nice sized dowel that tapers at the ends, has a good weight and feel to it.
Thanks for the pertinent article on Jim Riser's site. I wish I had read this years ago.

Unfortunately, I have a set of, what were once, very elegant looking Paul Fox cups. One of the three silver cups now has serious knick marks along the top edge. Also the inside of each cup is scratched and gray. They still look pretty enough (to my audience), but I feel the marks from time to time and wish I could have the cups re-finished (inside and out).

Does anyone know of a company that will refurbish Paul Fox cups? If so, please send any related info or links.

Thanks so much.
If they are solid silver, you might be able to get a jeweler to polish them for you. If they are plated, you will probably need to have them polished and re-plated. I don't know whether Jim Riser does this; however, it can't hurt to ask whether he knows someone in the cup biz who can do it.
[quote]
On 2004-01-31 04:27, richardl wrote:
Thanks for your answers. now the question is where can I find some of these wooden wands at? Anyone have any links?

Thanks
richard
[/quote]
Wands can be found nearly everywhere. In a similar thread on wands I mentioned that you can single ended wands from [url]http://www.hpwizardstore.com/[/url]

For my uses, they fit in much better than the "standard" black with white tips, and being all wood I have no problems with denting anything but the wand itself, and if that happens it just adds some "character" to the wand.
I forgot to mention the L.A. "Street Wands". You get a piece of dowel (3/8-inch diameter) go out into the street and pick up two empty .38 calibre shells. Nice brass ones will shine up easily. Then jam them onto the ends of the dowel and you are set.
A dowel... some of us use parakeet perches!

I'm confused... are folks tapping the cups with the wand? Doesn't that discharge the magic?

The idea was to use the wand to open a portal through which the ball passes. You set up the portals in the cups when you do the wand through cup...right?

My cups would be crushed if they got smacked by a wand. And I'd probably have to take the wand back to get it recharged too.
Hey, at the finish the Parakeet appears on the perch. I love it.

--------------------------------------------
Oh, I found an antique Opium Pipe that when held inverted the end, silver engraved, looks like a wild beast with a beak.

I say, "If you don't like the trick we can light up."

Also found some Juju sticks in an antique shop featuring African items.

Just don't, PLEASE, use a black stick with white ends. That's like wearing a cheap tuxedo on stage. :)
Maybe I'm just too old fashioned, but I use a standard Brass-Tipped wand, the heavier the better. You can get the "Magicians Wand" at PenguinMagic.com I highly recommend this wand.
Carl Andrews uses a Sharpie, which makes sense when table-hopping.
For me, I go brass-tipped. To me, the spin is more important that the tapping motion. I tap the cup very lightly. You don't have to whack the ***** thing like your trying to punch a hole in it, you just need the small sound of contact.
Hey Pete,
I use a black wand with "white" tips. The black is solid polished ebony, while the white is solid polished sterling silver.
It may look like cheap tuxedo, it is definitely not. ;)

Oh and Jon, as always your motivation of why to tap or not to tap, goes a little deeper than most of us. ;)
That was an interesting point of view...I might reconsider stop tapping my cups!?

I use van Dokkums stainless steel cups these days so I better put my delicate precious wand in it's leather sheath! Hahaha!
HA! I use a set of soft copper cups until I can afford some JP brass cups. I have worked with them, but I don't own a set.
Anyhow, I again say that tapping isn't necessarily bad, if you know where to tap. You can even use the hardwood part of a brass-tipped wand if you are really that nervous about it. I still say that you should just tap it lightly, however.
Don't forget you can weight the ends of the wand to improve spinning and still have a wooden wand. Shamrock Magic makes them this way and so do I (only for myself).

Kirk
[quote]
On 2004-01-31 09:47, ullig wrote:
Have a look at
[url]http://www.roykueppers.com/Legendary/prod05.htm[/url]
He also makes custom wands.

Ulli
[/quote]
Roy has made some extremely nice custom items for me, just to my spectators, the things other guys dream and drool over. No reason not to check out his wands.

I have a set of Phoenix cups and the Iron wood wand has had foil gold hand rubbed into the grooves (by me)...very nice, and now very nice to look at.
I also bought one of the wands they sell at Penguin, however, I didn't buy it there I got mine for $16 (from Magic Warehouse) when Penguin was asking $80!?!

Anyway, I also made a few wands from oak dowels. The dowels work very nicely in most respects and you can make the "to order" They are very nice to use except for spinning moves. For that, my heavier "Penguin" wand is superior.

Also, chopsticks are very good strolling wands. I have a set made from coconut wood I picked up in Maui, nicely carved and with a beautiful grain.
One of my favorite wands is one that was made by Pressley Guitar many years ago. It is stainless steel with hard rubber tips. There are brass bands between the tips and the body of the wand.

It is safe to use on cups, but looks very good. It also unscrews in the middle.

Some of the copper cups I have seen are made of very soft material, and I would be very careful about using them with brass or steel tipped wands. Even light taps can produce nicks and dents.
Hi, Bill! Sounds like a nearly perfect wand. Is it made by anyone else now?

Just won a Shamrock all-wood wand on eBay. The shaft is Bocote and the tips are Cocobolo. I don't know if it unscrews at the middle (I hope it does), but I picked it up for next to nothing. No one else even bid on it!

I've always wanted a wand made from lignum vitae for the romanticism of it. I wonder, though, if a wood that hard would be as likely to dent or ding a cup as a metal-tipped wand. Any experience?

:nose:
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Feb 29, 2004 12:43PM)
Does the ball appear inside the cup faster if you hit the cup harder?
[quote]
On 2004-02-29 13:43, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
[/quote]
Yes, but you must be very very careful. If you hit the cup to hard the ball will keep going and bore its way right thru the table! :lol: !!!
[quote]
On 2004-02-29 11:30, John Clarkson wrote:
Hi, Bill! Sounds like a nearly perfect wand. Is it made by anyone else now?

Just won a Shamrock all-wood wand on eBay. The shaft is Bocote and the tips are Cocobolo. I don't know if it unscrews at the middle (I hope it does), but I picked it up for next to nothing. No one else even bid on it!

I've always wanted a wand made from lignum vitae for the romanticism of it. I wonder, though, if a wood that hard would be as likely to dent or ding a cup as a metal-tipped wand. Any experience?

:nose:

[/quote]
I don't think anyone has reissued this.

I haven't worked with a lignum vitae wand. But from experience, I can tall you that it is a slippery wood, greasy in feeling, and it has a tendency to warp.

Posted: Feb 29, 2004 2:43pm
--------------------------------------
[quote]
On 2004-02-29 13:43, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
[/quote]
Only if you hit it in the right spot! :lol:
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Feb 29, 2004 03:16PM)
On the other side of the issue, just saw Paul Gertner do his cups routine at NEMCON…very impressive thing that uses ball bearings.

The nice wand that assembles and has the rubber-taped tips is very useful and has a great feel. Anyone using [b]cork[/b] tips?
Cork would be interesting. I think it would have a tendency to break, though. However, it would break the magician from pounding on his cups.

By the way, part of the "I never hit my cups hard enough to damage them" argument reminds me of another one that I have heard from people who play the doumbek -- a middle eastern drum that is used to accompany belly dancers. These drums are played with the bare hands. The first rule a doumbek player is taught is never to play the drum while wearing finger rings. Finger rings cause nicks in the head. You can always spot someone who has learned this the hard way by looking at the edge of his drum. Drum shops are very adamant about making people take their rings off before they try out a doumbek.
Has anyone seen the video performance of the Penguin Cups at Penguin Magic?

The little twirl thing the guy does with the wand by twirling and bringing it past his hand when he does the vanish is excellent.

Does anyone else use that? How do you suggest I practice it? I practice my magic in the basement, normally, but realized right away that won't fly with that twirling gig. My wand hits the hard basement floor too often.

I'd be happy to hear anyone's advice with the vanish and twirl in that video.

Thanks much!
It´s a version of the Mora/Vernon Wand Spin. You will find it on Michael Ammar´s DVD "Complete Cups & Balls", Vol 2. I understand it´s also in the book version. If you do C & Bs, this material is almost essential. It´s just great.

You need some weight on the wand to do the spin well. I use Ammar´s Mercury Wand which appears on the DVD. It takes some practice (and lots of dropping on the floor, ball and wand) to get it right. Once it works...it´s an INCREDIBLE vanish. You will love it.

Good luck.

Snedglow,

One more thing regarding this wand spin.

Practice in front of a mirror with something soft underneath, like carpeting, to cushion the fall each time you drop the wand. You will deafen the noise and damage your wand less. Once you get the spin right, you will stop dropping the thing and will even fool yourself! It´s that good.
Just like to share with you guys that shamrock has some wands on sale on eBay now. That have some very nice looking ones there now made of exotic wood...
Message: Posted by: Chickens and Beandip (Mar 8, 2004 03:26PM)
IF you are really cheap use chopsticks from last nights dinner.
If you knit use knitting needles.
if you are a musician use a conducters baton or drum sticks.
If you are an artist use a pencil.
if you are a house wife use a broom!

To my knowlege the wand is just used as a misdirection/concealment tool, much as it is in coin magic.

late.
B)
[quote]

To my knowlege the wand is just used as a misdirection/concealment tool, much as it is in coin magic.
[/quote]

Here we go again! I think the argument of the wand in some corners of magic, is like the question of the chicken and the egg.

Both sides are correct, depending on the argument. I just happen to agree with the wand's use being more important for what it hides.

MM
Thanks to Bill Palmer and his guidance, I now have a set of carved stainless steel cups that I am in love with.

I can not imagine hurting them with my wooden wand, but to get a better tooth (grip) from the tip for turning over the cups, you may want to do what I did for my old Phoenix cups.

I got some Rubber Coating Dip from the hardware store. It comes in several collors and you just dip a ˝ inch or so of the wand tip into the container. It looks very “clean” and really grabs at the top (bottom) of the cups.

I now use a wood wand that I got from stevens with three screwed on sections. It is called a 2 in one wand and is working out well. I will be coating it to use less pressure on the screw sections when I tilt cups over.

The product is called Plasti Dip, I think they have a website.

Bob
Those stainless steel cups are hard to damage. Silver cups are another matter.

I had James Riser make a custom made ebony and silver wand to use with the Sherwood cups. It shore is purty. I'll post pictures in a couple of days.
[quote]
On 2004-03-08 16:26, Chickens and Beandip wrote:
...or drum sticks.
[/quote]

This is what I use for some shows.

A drummer's practice stick. There are no tips on a practice stick. It's the same at both ends. Rounded. It's lacquered nicely, spins great, cheap, etc.

Go to your local music store and ask for a practice drum stick.

The one I got was purple with a 2" tip that was un-painted.

It was not quite what I was after but I never modified it.

For a comedy bit, one time, I used a wooden kitchen spoon and sawed off the "spoon" part of it and rounded the end a bit.

I was able to show where I got my "first" magic wand from .. to my wife's displeasure.

chuckle, chuckle.

Frank
I've an old Churchwarden pipe in my collection which I take to Ren Faires/SCA events, etc. that I have occasionally used as a makeshift wand. I just have to be more cautious of my audience's ages.
If I remember correctly, Vernon had some of the rarest cups of all time, yet used a solid metal wand. I also use a metal tipped wand on any type of cup without damage. Perhaps it is in the way you are using it on the cup. If you are hitting the top for effect, obviously do not hit very hard. I disslike hitting the top, say for one tap after a flourishy spin. If you are using the wand to tip the cup over, you should rest the wands tip on the indented section to toppel it. This should cause no scratching or denting whatsoever.
Vernon's wand was silver, the same hardness as the cups. So with care, little damage. He never bashed his cups with the wand, but then again, he didn't need to.

Kirk g
Vernon's cups were totally damaged.
Ron,

Tell me more.

Kirk
I just use a knife with my cups and balls and it doesn't do anything for mine
Vernon's cups, from what I know, were dented so badly that when Persi Diaconis (I think) asked Vernon if he'd like to trade his used set for an identical set of cups (apparently there were two sets brought over from Iran), Vernon was more than happy to trade. From what I hear, the second set got scuffed up as well.

Of course, the Silver Cups were just two sets that The Professor used. From what I have heard, he used a set of Porper Cups, and other sets as well.
I have read good reviews of hardwood wands made by Dickie Bennett of Austin, TX. However, the link to his site isn't working.

Anyone know if he's still trading & whether he has a new website?

Thanks

Richard
If you use Rogers' baseballs, use a toy baseball bat for a wand.
I like the hollow five trick wand that magic inc used to sell. If you use cig buts you can also use it as a blow gun...

Not suggested for use for younger magicians and to be used only for target shooting by certified blow gun magicians and it may have a danger - you could put your eye out with one of these...
[quote]
On 2004-04-13 01:20, MJ Marrs wrote:
Vernon's cups, from what I know, were dented so badly that when Persi Diaconis (I think) asked Vernon if he'd like to trade his used set for an identical set of cups (apparently there were two sets brought over from Iran), Vernon was more than happy to trade. From what I hear, the second set got scuffed up as well.

Of course, the Silver Cups were just two sets that The Professor used. From what I have heard, he used a set of Porper Cups, and other sets as well.

[/quote]

Actually, there wasn't much difference in the two sets. He took very good care of them. I saw the set he used in 1972, and it was in fine shape. He protected them. When Persi Diaconis made the trade, he let the Professor use his set for a while, to see if he liked them. Then he went to pick them up. He took the set that the Professor offered him, and inspected it closely. Finally, he said, "I see you have decided to trade with me."

Vernon said, "How did you know?"

"I marked mine."

So they couldn't have been too badly dinged up.

The "Porper Cups" he used might have been a set of the Unique cups by Harry Stanley, which were Stanley's attempt to make a "three ring" cup. He called them the Vernon cups. According to John Wright, who has a set of these cups, they look almost exactly like the Porper cups, except that they are spun, rather than CNC machined. And they will nest with the Porper cups.
As for the wand, I've tried quite a few, but the GoldenRod is the only one that I will even consider now. It's heavy, well balanced, and you aren't going to hurt the thing at all. It's made of brass with the middle covered with black shrink tubing.
Close to fully correct, Bill... Persi told me the cups were in a paper bag and they did the swap at the Castle. The Professor took Persi's to his Apt. and came back with his olde set.

Do you know how Persi got them?

Originally George Karger, a photographer for Life Magazine had them smuggled into the U.S. from Persia by someone he knew with 'diplomatic immunity' -- and Karger got a set for his help.

Karger retired to open an antique shop in NY city... and Persi later found this out. He went by to the shop and the cups were not together, but all three were there.

Persi asked "How much do you want for these metal flower pots?" Karger said, "Not for sale."

He returned and made an offer he "couldn't refuse."

I understand Larry Jennings' widow has the cups now and has turned down $1,500.00 -- can anyone confirm this?

When Gazzo was in Boston (while Persi was teaching at Harvard - he's now at Stanford), Persi was so impressed with Gazzo he invited him into his home for a visit and showed him the Vernon cups.

Stay tooned... :spinningcoin:
This is interesting. Ken Klosterman has a set of engraved cups that look like the Vernon cups.

So does David Ben.

So, there may be an "unauthorized" third set floating around there somewhere.
I love my Cups and my brass tip wand, every dent tells a story. I tap them, whack them and generally abusive with my cups and my wand. I snapped my first wand, that was made from rose wood I think. I avoid the wands that screw in the middle they will just give in the way I treat them.
I use the Garry Animals cups, they take all the punishment I through at them and they look great tarnished and dented.
Tapping and whacking makes a good noise, that gets you more attention.
Mario
Mario:

You need one of my GoldenRod™ wands.
Hi Bill
That sounds interesting!
Do you have any more info?
Mario
I have a plastic hollow wand that is filled with oil and floating stars and moons. I've had it for years. I don't do well spinning it, but it's an eye catcher to the audience because of the floating stuff inside. I recently purchased the Johnson cups and my wand doesn't seem to put scratches on them. But then I use a light touch to in case.
[quote] On 2004-12-08 22:06, Whitewolfny reveals: I have a plastic hollow wand that is filled with oil and floating stars and moons. [/quote]

That sounds neat! I was going to suggest a wooden wand with non metal tips for no denting but I think I might like yours better!!

-=tabman

[quote]

On 2004-12-02 22:53, Bill Palmer suggests:
Mario: You need one of my GoldenRod™ wands.

[/quote]

Here's an idea for you Sir Bill!! Make up your Goldenrods in wood using the same principle. Call em "woodenrods".

If you don't I will!!! :)

-=tabman
[img]http://questx.com/tables/cafetableman.jpg[/img]
Do it! You have the woodworking skills and the proper tools.

I'm all thumbs when it comes to doing that sort of thing.
[quote]On 2004-12-09 15:12, Bill Palmer says: I'm all thumbs when it comes to doing that sort of thing. [/quote]

Yeah right??!? You crack me up!!!

-=tabman