(Close Window)
Topic: Favorite effects with paper money
This field of magic has my interest more than any other but am I wrong in saying that compared to other forms of magic, paper money seems to have been left behind. Is it because of the change in the bills?

Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Jeff
I'm not sure that 'paper' money has been left behind, but there has always been more effects available with coins.

Still, effects with 'bills' are very popular, and there are many sources for information. :)
My favorite effect with paper money is how I can make hundreds of them vanish on payday & never see them again :rotf:
Funny thing.... mine donít actually "vanish" they just miraculously disappear from here and reappear at the nearest magic shop....

:dance:
My favorite effects with paper money are the "Bill to Impossible Location" routines. These kinds of effects are perfect for framing other tricks. For example, start off by vanishing a borrowed and signed bill and pretend to forget about it. Act like it wasn't supposed to vanish. This will get some laughs. Then proceed to do a quick, but strong, card trick. When the card trick is done, show that the signed bill ended up in an impossible location. For detailed routines similar to this I recommend "Close-Up Assassin" by Richard Sanders. It includes a book and companion video and is available at L&L Publishing. There is also a demo video at the L&L site.
If I had to pick a favorite bill routine, I would have to say the UF Grant Slow Motion Bill Transpostion. The original Grant method will not work seamlessly with todayís new US bills, but both David Parr & Eugene Burger have methods that overcome the problem. The effect ends with the magic happening in the spectatorís hands. You canít beat that!

Second runner up is the $100 bill switch - using the finesses developed by Ammar. Looks like real magic!

Be well ~ Fredrick
Bobby Sandstrom also has a very nice bill transpo that uses borrowed bills and takes place in the spectator's hands; very clean. Iíve got the inside works but Iím not sure if itís published yet.

Regards,

Thomas Wayne
Besides the above mentioned, you might also check out some ideas on handling by Roger Klause. I believe his book 'In Concert' is still available.

Roger told me he worked for ten years to get it just right, I believe him. Very smooooooth. :approve:
My fav bill tricks are "bill to matches", leaving the matches with the spectator and $100.00 bill switch as both are done with old Canadian bills. When folded, the old $100 and the $2 dollar bills look closly the same. And people like to see the old bills again. :patty:

Think of the possibilities of the impossible
I do a couple of impromptu items with bills. One is sort of a bill penetration. A five is placed on top of a one and they trade places.

Another is a torn and restored bill done using origami to achieve the illusion of two pieces. I wish I could remember the credits, but one was shown to me and the T&R came out of an old Magic Magazine.
Jay Sankey's "Billusion" is great. Metal disk seems to melt right through any bill.
check out
http://www.roykueppers.com
for this one and some other great coin effects.
Jason :dance:
Ray Grismer's "Shorty."
How about these:

Dan Harlan's "Traveling Cash." All you need is a couple of rubberbands and a bill for this impromptu killer.

"Bipolar George" (George Washington's face changes expression visibly on the $1 bill as it's being tilted)

That transposition trick where you roll two bills together, back-to-back and at right angles to each other, and they instantly switch to being face-to-face. Strangely, few layfolk have ever seen this one and it's a stunner to them.
I like my handling for the mismade bill. It's tipless and the hands are shown empty, except for one bill. They think the bill is mechanical until I hand it to them.
There's loads that can be done with bills. Virtually any packet trick can be done with bills instead of cards. Start thinking!

In terms of tricks with bills, the standards are:
- Polaroid Money
- Hornswoggled Again
- Kaps Currency

But as I said at the outset, loads more are possible!! Think outside the envelope!

Bye for now

Harold
Mine is Split Fan Money Production, Pen Thru Dollar and Hundy 500.
[quote]
On 2001-11-05 17:32, Ichazod wrote:
My favorite effect with paper money is how I can make hundreds of them vanish on payday & never see them again :rotf:
[/quote]

That's the only effect my wife knows..... :) ..
I like Ammar's $2 to 2 ones. I use another trick I was shown where a folded $5 goes through a $1, then changes places. I carry them both in my wallet at all times.

Craig
Jeff - I too would like to see more with paper money as I do more with paper money than with coins by far. I don't think the changing of the currency has anything to do with it. My favorite bill effects are:
$100 bill switch which I have a full circle routine using also the mis made bill
2 $1's to a $2 which I do with 2 $5's to a $10 instead (with $2 bills not being very common)
Beswitched with the $1 and $5 bill transpo in specs hand.
Bend over bills
Betcha (playing card changes instantly to dollar bill) very visual, you can then switch the bill for a real one and go into next bill effect.
Pen thru bill
Bill in impossible location
Torn and restored bill
serial number divination type effects
(although not a trick but more of a gambling scam) the Harry Anderson Bill game in his book "games you can't lose"
Of course you also have any one of the several bill thru bill type of effects out there as well.
Serge
I also vote for Kaps Currency, a very entertaining routine

Two dollar window: I convert two singles into a $100. This really gets peoples attention
Pen thru dollar: using gimmicked bill that I carry in my wallet

M. Wilson also has some cut and restored bill effects in his Complete Course(I think it is also in Tarbell)

Paul Harris has some interesting bill effects in Art of Astonishment, but I haven't done too much with them yet.

John
Robert Neales Bunny Bill has to be one of the very best crewastions with paper money
Max Howard has an effect in his lecture notes Killer Klose-up for Mere Mortals which is essentially a 3 card monte done with dollar bills. I've been using this for many years and it "kills". Really, it's a great effect, packs small (in your wallet) and is very visual.
[quote]
On 2006-04-01 19:48, vinsmagic wrote:
Robert Neales Bunny Bill has to be one of the very best crewastions with paper money
[/quote]

Yes, this is very cool! Also, as mentioned above, Harlan's Traveling Cash (perhaps even more effective, however, when the bill is replaced by the spectator's thumb and forefinger). I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the book "Folding Money Fooling." What a trove of terrific material, and there's a lot to be said for the souvineers left in the hands of the lucky audience member(s).
Hundy 500
Afknight,I have searched the web, h&R books and the major magic dealers but can't find the Max Howard lecture notes. Do you have any idea where I can find them?
Hundy 500
$100 bill switch
Hundy 500 - Just awesome
Grant Slow motion Transposition or one of the many variations of it
Wonderland Bill - this actually gets a really nice reaction from people
Misled and Doug Edwards Pen-a-tration (name?)

All good stuff.
[quote]
On 2006-04-02 20:38, Glenn Watson wrote:
Afknight,I have searched the web, h&R books and the major magic dealers but can't find the Max Howard lecture notes. Do you have any idea where I can find them?
[/quote]

Hi Glenn
I bought these notes (copyright 1999) when I saw Max lecture many years ago in Philly. Unfortunately I don't know how to reach him. the only info on the notes is his address: Max Howard, 429 Rays Road, Stone Mountain, GA 30083. Hope that helps.
Alton
I'm with Cpontz (Craig) on this one. Ammar's $5 - $1 is fantastic. I'll never forget the first time I saw that $1 slide right through that $5. It was real magic. I always have it on me. Very visual stuff.
I have loved routines with paper bills for years. My all time hand's down favorite is one I sold almost 2000 of in my store: Two Ones to a Two. For sheer blow them away easy to do and reset I haven't found anything better.

Along with MagicbyCarlo: The Slow Motion Bill Transposition in almost any of incarnations. GREAT trick.

Wonderland Bill which I also produce is right now the only trick I actually carry with me! (Soon to be available in DVD by the way!)

David Harkey's Pencil thru Bill...this is a brilliant piece of magic! Best,
[quote]I'm with Cpontz (Craig) on this one. Ammar's $5 - $1 is fantastic. I'll never forget the first time I saw that $1 slide right through that $5. It was real magic. I always have it on me. Very visual stuff.
[/quote]

where is this found? and what is its name?
John,

Ammar teaches this on Easy to Master Money Miracles Volume 3. It is called $5 and $1 by Tom Ogden. I believe it is in print but don't know where.

-Feral
John, Feral is exactly right. Volume 3. Some very good other stuff on there as well.

--Chris
Thanks
Anyone know the effect where you draw a pair of shades on the face of whoever is on the bill ...bill is handed back to spectator to show its permanent ink ...then to the spectators astonishment the performer takes back the bill then raises the shades from the facial area to the top of the head?
That sounds like Paul Harris' [i]Nightshades[/i] effect.
Art of Astonishment, V1 has Improv Nightshades

but this version is not examinable till the end, but can be done with a borrowed bill.
Where do you buy the nightshades.
I have an effect called costume change. A borrowed coin is signed by tha spectator and wrapped in any bill, say a dollar bill. It is crunhed in a ball by the spactator. I slowly and openly take it, and cup it with both hands briefly and it changes to a 20 dollar bill. I slowly open my hands and let the spectator take it, open it and fin the signed coin in it. A costume change.

Rannie
Sounds like another classic by The Boss.
I'd like to see a vid of that one Rannie :)
Ahhh, Bill Effects ... Fun Fun Fun!
Even simple ones like Pen Thru Dollar slays em' everytime.
I love this subject!!! Here are a few of my favorites:

**** Bill Denomination Change
- $100 BILL SWITCH (Ammar's Handling):
This is the classic. Also, use the same method for $10 to 2 $5's.... or Rip a $1 into eighths and restore it, etc.
- GREED (Garcia's Handling)
- $5 TO $1 (Not too sure who created this, but the 2 bills are folded and both bills go into the spectator's hand. Magician removes the $5 (he shows the $5 he took) and shakes it. The spectator has the $5 now and the Magician has the $1.)

**** Pencil Thru Bill:
- MISLED (Wenk's Handling)
- EAST MEETS WEST MEETS SOUTH (Harkey & Anderson's Handling)

***** Bill Thru Bill:
- GHOST BILLS (Mayne's Handling)

A great book collection is from the late, great MIKE BORNSTEIN. He wrote 5 books of just the one subject of PAPER MONEY that was later condensed into 1 book. It is a MUST for anyone interested in this subject. Many of the effects are things you have to make, however, he has thought up some real clever ideas... FLOATING BILL, BILL TO MATCH TO REVEAL SELECTED CARD, BILL TO DECK OF BRAINWAVE CARDS, POLARAID BILLS, STRETCHING A BILL, HYDROSTATIC BILL, etc. etc. etc.

I am just waiting patiently now for Daniel Garcia's FRAUD to add to my Paper Money Routines!!!!
I need a source and name on this one. Please post AND PM me on this one. I want to contact the creator and thank him or her, personally.

It's my favorite and I want to give credit where credit is due.

It's the one using a borrowed $5 and a $1. Fold the $5 and place it in a coin purse. Fold the $1 and it becomes the $5.

Spectator now opens the purse and opens the bill inside, which is MISMADE!

I then take the Mismade bill and turn it "right."

I seem to recall seeing it in an old Linking Ring Magazine, years ago and I am pretty sure that it's based on a mental effect by Larry Becker that originally used a 35mm film can... From, I believe, The World of Super Mentalism...

Lee Darrow, C.H.
My favorite is $5 TO $1. From an Ammar's Easy to Master Money Miracles. I don't remember who it is credited to.
Mark Wilson's "Sales Magic" dvd has a lot of money tricks: Bill's From Nowhere, Delightful Dollar, Torn & Restored Bill, Money Exchange, Paper to Bills, etc.
Hypno Bill!
I am partial to Ghost Bills myself. Sometimes I leave my gimmick bills at home, or forget my TT but ghost bills I can do anytime.
Anyone have AE2 from Hocus Pocus? The demo looks awesome. If anyone does, is it worth buying?
My top 3

Gratitude - Greed handling

US Mint - Hundy 500 Handling

Misled
Hypno Bill and Hundy 500
Bert Allerton's "Bamboozled" is a favorite of mine.
The Brema Bill Tube is another.
I love a good "Bill to Lemon" but I haven't found an impromptu version that works well for me.
[quote]
On 2007-01-23 15:55, rpierce wrote:
Anyone have AE2 from Hocus Pocus? The demo looks awesome. If anyone does, is it worth buying?
[/quote]

I have AE2. I find the gimmick can be a little delicate and it's not a great impromptu effect imho, but I do like it. I found that being able to borrow a bill and switch the gimmick in and out is where it hits the hardest and takes the most practice. Unless I have the element of surprise on my side, I typically do it after I already did an effect with a borrowed bill that didn't require any switch (like Stealth Pen), that way the spec isn't burning your hands as much when you switch it in.
My favorite paper money effect involves cards and bills. It's called "You Do as I Do With My Dough". It involves betting of dollar bills where you always win. At the end, a surprise occurs right under their noses. It's in Chapter 25 of my new book [b]Kingdom of the Red[/b] to be released on or before Aug 31. There's a photo from that chapter at my website. Go to the link by my signature below.

Larry
I have four favorite effects that are all impromptu done with borrowed bills

1. Tokyo penetration by ryu Susato..effect Two bills are are foled around each other and there is avisual penetration

2 torn and rerstored bill by ken koroki n
a bill is torn then restored with no dammage to the bill the billis then given back to spectator

3 Busting loose my vinny marini
a rubberband is put on a folded bill the dangling band is pulled through the bill...

4 Lonnie Cheverie
finger thru bill
bill is folded and the magicians finger is pushed thru the bill the bill

there is alo another version by japaneese magician Bill Toyosain
"4 Lonnie Cheverie
finger thru bill
bill is folded and the magicians finger is pushed thru the bill the bill

there is also another version by japaneese magician Bill Toyosain"

Just an FYI. This effect was out before Lonnie released it. In fact it was published in David Acer's book Natural Selection 2 (I think that was the book.)

It was also on Jim Pace's "Gags 1" VHS. AND Jim got it from a magician named Justin Hanes. Just so you have some idea on the history of this wonderful impromptu effect.

C
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Jul 2, 2007 02:03PM)
Here are some of my favorites:

Misled
Pahntom Band 360
Infinity Switch
Ghost Bills
Juan Switch
Dissolver (My effect)

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
[quote]
On 2007-07-01 09:49, vinsmagic wrote:
1. Tokyo penetration by ryu Susato..effect Two bills are are foled around each other and there is avisual penetration
[/quote]

Hi Vinny,
This seems interesting, can you tell us where we can learn it?
Thanks.

Jeff
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Jul 2, 2007 07:42PM)
I would think New Magic of Japan or 5X5 Japan, but I don't know.
MAGICSTUDENT THE EFFECT IS NOT MINE CONTACT CHARLES HERE ON THE Cafť FOR DETAILS
OR PM ME I CAN SEND A DEMO OF THE EFFECT BUT NOT THE HANDLING IT IS NOT MINE..
VINNY
I don't perform it, but Bob Sheets showed me a beautiful bill switch at a lecture at Denny & Lees.. I'm pretty sure it's called Skull Cracker but I could be wrong.. It looks freaking AMAZING. I think he mentioned it beingon DVD, I'll ask somebody at the shop next time I'm there.. Great job Bob

George Gilbert
YES that's JUAN PABLOS BILL EFFECT
VINNY
Yes, and I think Lonnie Chevrie did his take on this same principle on one of his dvd's.
[quote]
On 2007-07-02 20:40, magicstudent wrote:
[quote]
On 2007-07-01 09:49, vinsmagic wrote:
[/quote]

Hi Vinny,
This seems interesting, can you tell us where we can learn it?
Thanks.

Jeff
[/quote]
You can find this in Richard Kaufman's "Through the Looking Glass."
[quote]
On 2007-07-02 21:07, vinsmagic wrote:
MAGICSTUDENT THE EFFECT IS NOT MINE CONTACT CHARLES HERE ON THE CafͬFOR DETAILS
OR PM ME I CAN SEND A DEMO OF THE EFFECT BUT NOT THE HANDLING IT IS NOT MINE..
VINNY
[/quote]

LOL! You make it seem like it's my trick. Haha.

Best,
Charles
My favorite money effect is Gen Grant's 5 to 1 bill transpo.
Hello.

I'm very interested in Lonnie Chevrie's visual bill switch variation for Juan Pablo bill switch.
I know Chevrie reliesed two volume DVDs.

Which volume has it, volume one or two?

Thank you much.

Sincerely,
@Jay@
I am digging Garcias Fraud, but also the $2 - 2x$1 Transpo, also the $1 thru $5 is great. I'll have to get Craig to show me it again at the next Ring Meeting.
Charles what I meant was to contact you for details for the magic of Japan.
vinny
:D
Any pen or pencil through dollar bill is also great. I prefer Misled.
A very surprising bill tear-SEEING IS BEILIEVING, put out years ago was still available at the IBM in Reno for $5. You borrow a dollar bill, have it marked, proceed to tear it into eights right up close, then paper clip the pieces together, return them to the spectator, and the same marked bill is restored. It is very powerful when using the spectators own bill and restoring it right under his nose! This rather impromptu item has got lots of new shows for performers. Can be duplicated by copying 1/4 of a dollar bill and tearing that piece up. Also great for behind the bar, or at the dinner table, just picking up a dollar that has been thrown on the table to help pay the bill. "This is what the Mint is trying to do to the dollar bill-make it extinct! " Then restore it!
U.V. Nightshades will probably make an appearance here when it comes out...
I don't think myself that paper money is left behind like someone else stated ,but there just seems more can be done with coins.

I still perform the borrowed bill routine and have it signed and then burned ,only to appear unharmed always gets a good reaction when the specs see there money being burned .
One of my all-time favorites is Dan Garrett's "Plastic Cash," (actually spelled "Plastic Ca$h") available from YFD or from http://www.DanGarrett.com. A borrowed bill is torn in half, with one half going to the lender as a receipt. The other half is folded and sealed in a pay envelope, mixed with other envelopes containing blank paper, and the lender is invited to try to "psychically" locate their bill. They pick an envelope, the others are burned, and the chosen envelope is opened to reveal - a blank piece of paper! The magician quickly tries to save the burning bill, to no avail, then offers to compensate the vict - er, lender - with a half dollar - coin. When the lender demurrs, the magi opens his wallet to offer a "50 cent credit card" - and there is the matching half bill, in the wallet - LAMINATED in plastic! It's given to the lender as a souvenir and you can give them another dollar, but they usually refuse it, because now they have a magically transformed object.
This has been around for 30 some years and still rocks.
Message: Posted by: THEGUY26 (Will Swanson) (Aug 25, 2007 08:35PM)
[quote]
On 2007-07-06 12:46, Jay Elf wrote:
Hello.

I'm very interested in Lonnie Chevrie's visual bill switch variation for Juan Pablo bill switch.
I know Chevrie reliesed two volume DVDs.

Which volume has it, volume one or two?

Thank you much.

Sincerely,
@Jay@
[/quote]

It's in volume 2.
I am a big fan of Daniel Garcias Twisted and Greed. Both are very visual and easy to perform.
Fraud by Daniel Garcia is simply a beauty to me. The spectators just don't know what to think. I get lots of four letter words to describe this trick
[quote]

It was also on Jim Pace's "Gags 1" VHS. AND Jim got it from a magician named Justin Hanes. Just so you have some idea on the history of this wonderful impromptu effect.

C
[/quote]
Burke is right. I had my version (and the first version ever) in notes in 1995.

No one cites me as the source for this because it was on Jim Pace's video, and subsequently dissonlved into obscurity. Kato recently published my method in a MUM recently too, again no credit.

But yeah it's good, and I still like the effect.
Daniel Garcia's "Fraud", Bill switch $1 to Mismade bill, Pen Thru bill and $5 to $1 transposition have always worked well for me.
My favorite bill effects depend on the location I am performing, the situation and of course the audience. Generally it is Hundy 500, Wonder Penetration, or Signed Bill to Potato.
I cant believe no one has mentioned Richard Sanders' Slow Burn. Its similar to the Hundy 500 but the handling appears more magical in my opinion. People love that effect. And its an instant reset..perfect for walk around or table hopping.
And, I put this in another thread, but I think the Heiny 500 is one of the best magic tricks I've ever seen. I'll have to check out Slow Burn.