(Close Window)
Topic: Dead or Alive routine
Here is my "Dead or Alive" routine

EFECT:

On the table are two pens and a pad.

One pen writes in red and the other in black color. I take a pad and I write on the left side the numbers from 1 to 4.
I give the spectator the pad.

Before I tell him what he needs to do, I turn away.

I tell him to take a pen, red or black. He has absolute free choice. For example he takes a “black” pen.

He should write on the pad the name of the person who is dead (for example, “Emily”).
He has absolute free choice, where he writes the name (.

Hhe takes the “red” pen and wrote three other people who are still alive.
When he wrote all four names, he tears out this sheet of paper.

Now, he reads the names one by one, and I know which person is died.
The rest of the audience see that "Emily" is the only name written in "black" (“dead”). She's dead and I have been right.

The method that I used is very simple.
The beautiful thing is when the participant wrote all four names I never touch this sheet of paper.

I have three free copies for review.

dj
Personally, I would never ask the participant to think of someone related to him that has died.
Overall, seems like a good effect.
There are ways around the uncomfortable aspect of that.

Plus it could also be films you've seen and one you haven't
Foods you like and one you don't
Countries you've visited and one you'd like to.
Which of youe friends here in the bar with you would you like to sleep with and.....OK maybe not that one :)

Steve
I have no doubt at all that, method-wise, this would play out exactly as described by the author.

As simple as it gets, (and I mean that in a good way) leaving all the room in the world for presentation and performance.

Steve
Or my favorite, ask a girl to write down a bunch of guy names and the name of an ex boyfriend. :)
This sounds identical to an original routine I posted in my private workshop over two weeks ago. I've PMd the OP with details.
Hi All,

I think Stephen said it as eloquently as possible: a simple, direct method (requiring a little something many are certain to already have) to determine the name of the "dead" person. I, too, would not ask my volunteer to think of a dead person, but as several already mentioned, there a many other possibilities (e.g., name of first kiss, favorite season of the year, compass direction, etc).

Regards, Steve
[quote]On Dec 10, 2014, mastermindreader wrote:
This sounds identical to an original routine I posted in my private workshop over two weeks ago. I've PMd the OP with details. [/quote]

Bob has described me his routine.
My and his routine are different.

dj
[quote]On Dec 10, 2014, yachanin wrote:
Hi All,

I, too, would not ask my volunteer to think of a dead person, but as several already mentioned, there a many other possibilities (e.g., name of first kiss, favorite season of the year, compass direction, etc).

Regards, Steve [/quote]

Yes thre are many other possibilities.

dj
[quote]On Dec 10, 2014, dj wrote:
This sounds identical to an original routine I posted in my private workshop over two weeks ago. I've PMd the OP with details. [/quote]

Bob has described me his routine.
My and his routine are different.

dj [/quote]

The routines are slightly different (my original idea had five participants writing the names.) The method, however, appears to be identical. Appears to me to be a case of independent creation, though.
Bob, I didn't know your routine. You've described it to me before. Thanks.
I haven't read anything about your routine and I've never seen them before.

I wrote to you, when I published my Routine. That was March 9,2013. although my dead or alive is much older. 

dj
Bob, I didn't know your routine. You've described it to me before. Thanks.
I haven't read anything about your routine and I've never seen them before.

I wrote to you, when I published my Routine. That was March 9,2013. although my dead or alive is much older. 

dj
Edit
Message: Posted by: Christopher Taylor (Dec 10, 2014 03:55PM)
Interestingly, this is also almost identical to a routine I performed at MindVention in 2009. My method involved the Solstice wallet. I am planning to release the effect with the new version of Solstice next year.

Christopher
[quote]On Dec 10, 2014, Christopher Taylor wrote:
Interestingly, this is also almost identical to a routine I performed at MindVention in 2009. My method involved the Solstice wallet. I am planning to release the effect with the new version of Solstice next year.

Christopher [/quote]

I don' t use electronic tools in my dead or alive routine.

dj
Yes Christopher. The identical effect can be done with the Solstice. And quite well, I might add. In fact, I think some performers may find your method to be preferable.

For the record, though, I have no problem with dj releasing his routine as I had no intention of releasing mine, or the many refinements, alternate presentations and variations that are being discussed in my workshop.
I have no problem with dj releasing his routine... [/quote]

That's right, Bob.
Why should you have a problem with my releasing?

dj
Because your idea was created independently of mine and I have no plans to release mine, as I've already stated. Seems like we're having a communication problem here.
I think you'll find Bon Jovi predates you all...
Actually, Iain, I predate Bon Jovi by thirteen years. :eek:
Wow. Weird thread.
Dj shared his routine with me for a review. It is as stated and of course requires a ******. It's well thought out and could be an impressive piece with the right performer. I have no opinion of who may have thought of something similar or first or at the same time.
It sounds like a really nice version of the effect, the way it's described. I'll be watching this thread.
I guess the routine isn't for me. I don't listen to Bon Jovi. ;)