(Close Window)
Topic: Eugene Burger Penguin Lecture
I know that some may find this quaint. But I was surprised and inspired by Eugene's lecture on Penguin last night.
Mr. Burger is anything but the hot new thing and I know it can be annoying being recommended lectures/books etc as "legendary" only to find somebody past their prime shilling old ideas-- but I loved this lecture. I wasn't even intending to watch it last night-- but as he kept talking he kept drawing me in deeper and deeper.

I'm posting my recommendation here in the Mentally Speaking forum particularly because I thought a lot of what Burger had to share had a direct bearing on a lot of discussions that have been coming up here this past year.

If you're familiar with his work you'll find no new methods. It's all classic EB... but, maybe it was the cold he was suffering through but it really felt like the gloves were off last night.

Also, it was great seeing mentalism presented outside the realm of "psychological illusion".

Lots of fun and great reminders
Message: Posted by: MentalistCreationLab (Dec 29, 2014 08:04AM)
I was going to attend that lecture in person yesterday but it looks like fate had other plans as I now have a rear wheel cylinder shooting break fluid.Oh what fun! So the hour drive to Columbus, Ohio did not seem like a good idea.

Thanks David, glad to hear it was a good EB lecture.

Bill Montana
Mr burger was the one I was looking forward to the most...more than derren and the rest...

Been too busy drinking fine ales, feasting and messing about to watch it yet though...but I do think he is worth studying, I have all his books, and they all can be applied to mentalism...he is somewhat of an unsung hero in my opinion...
I thought it was one of the best lectures they have done in a while. Eugene really hit it out of the park.
Did he happen to go over his handling for the Trick That Cannot Be Explained? It's really brilliant, I wasn't able to watch last nights taping yet.

I'm sure it was amazing like everything else he has published :-)
How long does Penguin usually take to make a product available for download? I preordered this, but unfortunately wasn't able to watch it live. It's not showing up for download on my account. Not impatient, just curious.
Under 24 hours usually. Longer lectures take a bit more time to load for obvious reasons.
Thanks!
I think the lecture is up now. I got the email.
I got it too. Thanks!
I had the pleasure of hanging with Eugene a few months ago for 3 full days at the McBride Mentalist Master Class and he was nothing short of wise and extremely generous with his vast knowledge of the arts.

His take on magic and his ideas were beyond invaluable - and a heck of a nice person!
The best lecture I saw, and I'm not even a magician!

I have every lecture of every mentalist that ever done Penguin Live, some were great, some were not, but I never bought a magician's lecture. Now I understand I may be doing a mistake...

Eugene is a very special person for me in magic, his rock start voice and calm personality and the deepest knowledge of magic makes him the best teacher, so I decided to buy this lecture, just because Eugene.

And it was the best lecture I ever saw, do yourself a favor and buy!
I bought this prior to the lecture. I was otherwise spoken for Sunday evening but I cannot wait . Eugene is my favorite magician.

I can't wait to watch!

Thanks Eugene
Great lecture and only half way through. The coin trick and OOTW were terrific. He is certainly great at making even the most simple effect look like a theatrical show piece.

Michael
Dave was right.

Inspirational is the word. I don't like using the "favorite" word (because each experience brings its own insight), but this was certainly a standout lecture. Everytime I read, listen, or watch Eugene, I am gleening wisdom.

Thank you for the gift, Mr. Burger.

Highest Recommendation!
Wow, that was an outstanding lecture. Great and commercial magic and great advice by one of the most fabulous magicians out there. It was a real pleasure to watch Eugene's lecture.
Money well spent.
I would love to see a Burger and Cassidy combo lecture...

i loved how passionate eugene was about it all, as it should be - I loved how he railed against certain things, and you could see it in his face...for those that haven't, buy all of his books, you'll find so much to think about...no matter what you study and perform...
How long was the lecture?
Not long enough...yet, long enough...
About three and a half hours I think?
What did he teach?
If you go on the penguin site, you can read all about it...
The Penguin site says "what will he teach." So it has not been updated since the lecture with what he actually taught. Knowing Eugene, my hunch is that he may have stuck with what he intended, but sometimes there ends up being a substantial difference between what is originally listed and what actually happens.

I'd still love to hear a little more specifically what he covered.
I was thrilled that he performed his invisible coins routine. I've wanted to see it for a long time and understood that he only taught it in lectures. It's very nice thinking.

I liked his passion for the art of magic. Fascinating insights and his haunted deck on the back of his hand was cool.
That coin effect though! I don't even bother with coins but the invisible coin routine that Eugene taught must be added to my close up act
What does the coin effect look like? It sounds like a lot of people liked it so I am curious!
The audience member thinks of a coin and it appears in his hand. You really need to see it to understand just how awesome it is.
Ah okay, thanks! Maybe Penguin will make a trailer soon so I can see it. I will probably be getting the lecture either way though :)
Is it just me, or would anyone else love to hear Eugene Burger say "I am Groot" ?
Dave, very astute decision posting the review in Mentally Speaking, thank you. The first lecture I ever attended was one of Mr. Burgers, before I'd ever heard of him.

It was over THIRTY years ago and made a profound impression upon me. Looking back, it is clear how much his teaching, passion and drive for excellence impacted me not only as a magician (as I would have described myself then) but in my ultimate decision to study and develop myself as a mentalist. Bottom line, as a student, performer and creator.

I watched the Penguin lecture with high expectations. They were met AND exceeded. Forgive my indulgence in cliche, but like a fine wine Mr. Burger has aged well in every way. He set the bar high back then and continues to do so today.
He doesn't seem to age at all Bill. He looks the same now as he did 20 years ago! And when he talks with that voice of his you've just got to listen. :)
Eugene was a treat! I really enjoyed this lecture, myself. I had the pleasure and honor of hosting and glad I was able to make it into town on Penguin's invite to do so. There is wonderful value in this lecture - as with everything Mr. Burger presents the magic community.
My mental image is the one imprinted in the lecture mentioned above, so maybe the added 10 years is a factor, Sean. Eugene was heavier back then and while I do see aging, like I said it is all good. He certainly has slimmed down and "that voice" is richer and even more nuanced than years ago.

Patrick, you did a wonderful job, thank you! Cursing Dan may have been a bit extreme but at least he was well enough again in time to travel for the DB lecture. Any behind the scenes tidbits you can share?
Just got this lecture, looks like I'm in for a treat judging by these reviews.
I bought a robot!
This lecture was much more applicable to mentalism than I would have anticipated. Thank you dmoses for recommending it, as I likely wouldn't have picked it up otherwise.
Thank you all, I just bought this. Cannot wait until tonight.
Just watched it, a master at work. Worth the price just for the coin effect alone IMO.
Does anyone know if the coin effect is the same as the one in his dvd?
[quote]On Jan 10, 2015, dan the man wrote:
Does anyone know if the coin effect is the same as the one in his dvd? [/quote]

Can you describe the effect and I'll tell you if it's the same.
[quote]On Jan 12, 2015, Sean Giles wrote:
[quote]On Jan 10, 2015, dan the man wrote:
Does anyone know if the coin effect is the same as the one in his dvd? [/quote]

Can you describe the effect and I'll tell you if it's the same. [/quote]
Thanks, but i' ve seen the lecture now and it is the same one, indeed! still great though of course.
No worries. Which DVD did you see it on?
Sean, it is on Exploring Magical Presentations
Thank you Tony :)
I think Eugene would make a fine mentalist.
Eugene has one of the classic voices of magic, the rich timbre, resonance and kinaesthetic quality make him a pleasure to listen to. Blackstone Jr, Max Maven and Paul Draper are my other favourite voices in magic and mentalism. Their voices add so my to their presentations for me.
I keep going back to this incredible lecture. Does anybody know the name of that style of candle and holder that Eugene uses in his Haunted Deck/Gypsy Thread effect? Thanks!
...this is said sincerely @The_metalMaster...after watching the lecture, do you think Eugene would want you to copy his way of doing something? (he does say he gets a lot of his stuff from stores that sell doll's houses though)...