(Close Window)
Topic: Extremely rare early Derren Brown radio interviews
There's been a bit of disappointment felt by some at the lack of insight or content found in Derren's Penguin Live interview. To counter that a bit, I thought I'd share these with the community. They are extremely rare radio interviews with Derren from 2000-2004, in which he answers questions and--most interestingly--performs a few effects. They're so rare in fact, that you won't find them anywhere else on the internet. They've not been found online since about 2003!

The effects he performs include "I write a letter of the alphabet down and you tell me what it is" (as seen here: http://youtu.be/gZVxAUAkHiM?t=1m20s). He also does his classic "Think of something...anything--name, place, person...change your mind a few times, back and forth". And, if you're a keen listener, you may pick up quite few tips on exactly how to present this baffling effect, which I would say has been Derren's most versatile and fooling routine, at least as far as TV interviews are concerned. I saw him do it, back in the day, probably half a dozen times on chat shows.

Anyway, I hope a few of you enjoy listening to these. They're a brief time-machine back to when he was at his most 'psychological'. And he had everyone fooled hook, line and sinker!

It's a 50mb zip file hosted on WeTransfer.com and the link will expire in a week's time. I'll replace it if there's continued interest, though.

http://we.tl/OsEh5t8xXg
That's very kind of you thanks Neil!
Thanks so much for this!
THANK YOU :-)

So cool Neil - much obliged.
Cheers, I will have a listen to it while I' m waiting at the hospital!.
Should have put this in Inner Thoughts to keep it away from the anonymous lurkers! :lol:

Will have to take a look at this. Thanks Neil. How did you come by this?
Thank you Neil.
Thanks for sharing that, Neil. Much appreciated.
Thanks very much. I'm really looking forward to listening to this.
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Jan 5, 2015 10:54PM)
Neil, that's *** good of you. Much appreciated!
Very awesome! This will give me something to listen to. Thanks
=) thank you
Thank you,

Ravi
Thanks for sharing!
Thanks - quite a find! How did you manage it?
Thanks, Neil!
Yes, thank you very much Neil.

Derren has a nice simple expression to describe what he does as "psychological games of influence" nice disclaimer statement.

He started as a hypnotist than drifted off into Magic, he wanted to bring those two areas together as a form of psychological trickery.
Thank you, he has such a great taste for music!
Thanks for sharing, Neil.
I have all these too, recorded by myself, just assumed everyone had heard them before or they were easily accessible. The Whiley interview is by far the best, effects-wise.

Regards
Andrew
Excellent, thanks for sharing.
Message: Posted by: ComposerCopenhagen (Jan 6, 2015 03:51PM)
My respect for Derren just increised tremendeously after this lovely music taste.
Hey Neil -
Thanks for sharing !
No problem, everyone. Happy others have enjoyed them.

[quote]On Jan 6, 2015, JayFredericks wrote:
Thanks - quite a find! How did you manage it? [/quote]

I emailed somebody who used to run a Derren Brown fan site in 2002 (on Geocities - long since dead). By chance, he still had the files on an old drive.

[quote]On Jan 6, 2015, Mesaboogie wrote:
I have all these too, recorded by myself, just assumed everyone had heard them before or they were easily accessible. The Whiley interview is by far the best, effects-wise.

Regards
Andrew [/quote]

They're not found anywhere else online, currently. You're one of only a handful of people, as far as I know, who happen to have recorded them or saved them back before 2005ish. Do you have any others that weren't in my zip file? I'd love to hear them, if so.
Wow, geocities. Reminds me of angel fire. Has the internet really been around long enough to have nostalgic places? lol
This just feeds into my obsession for all things Derren Brown. My psychiatrist will be sending you an invoice. :D
Message: Posted by: Investigative Mentalist (Jan 7, 2015 02:11AM)
Great stuff, thanks for sharing!
Thanks Neil. Very much appreciated.
Thank you!
Wow, all these people thanking someone for releasing pirated content.

Shame on all of you.

Piracy of books and DVDs is bad, but piracy of something you REALLY want to watch/hear is fine, right?

Sigh.
[quote]On Jan 7, 2015, 3ofclubs wrote:

Shame on all of you.

Piracy of books and DVDs is bad, but piracy of something you REALLY want to watch/hear is fine, right?

Sigh. [/quote]

The interviews are from the BBC. We Brits have paid for the content already with our licence fee.

I agree that all non-UK listeners are guilty of piracy and should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves. :-)
Yeah, joke about it! Piracy is funny! Sharing material the owner doesn't want shared is HILARIOUS!!! LOLOLOL!!!!111oneoneone

Shame on all of you.

Sigh. [/quote]

I just pirated your comment.
Yeah, joke about it! Piracy is funny! Sharing material the owner doesn't want shared is HILARIOUS!!! LOLOLOL!!!!111oneoneone [/quote]

And you've been banned from the Café multiple times, Damien Jennings.

You're not really an exemplar of following the rules.
Those who have listened to the radio interviews may wish to re-visit this clip to study what happens when the effect goes in a slightly different direction!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgBqqJyRaa4www
I've always thought DB was taking a big risk doing that particular one on David Frost, when David was a bit past his best, let's say. Even if David hadn't, you know, done what he did, he could still have said a lot more than DB would have liked. That's what happened in the Radio Bristol interview actually, and possibly one of the others. And when it happened (that is, when somebody described what had occurred up to the present moment), DB just had to agree and roll with it. Change the presentation a little. I really like how when David Frost says, "When I think of Milan, I picture Jose Mourinho", Derren replies by saying, "A place you know well, I'm sure." Derren's always said his knowledge of football is pants!
I agree Neil (but maybe an inner thought?)
Thank you Neil!
P.S.

Hey Neil, many thanks for the link and downloads. I really enjoyed the radio stuff and especially some of his classical music selections. That was fun.

Martin thanks for the Frost link I hadn't seen that in a long time.
Sweet!
Thanks a lot!!
[quote]On Jan 7, 2015, saysold1 wrote:
Hey Neil, many thanks for the link and downloads.[/quote]

No problem, glad you (and others) enjoyed it!
I missed it, can it be re-posted?
[quote]On Jan 15, 2015, KC Cameron wrote:
I missed it, can it be re-posted? [/quote]

Same here.
I'm not sure what was included in the original post since I saw it too late, like many others. Here though are a few early DB interviews from 2002/3 for anybody that's interested.

http://we.tl/DSFwWadiei
[quote]On Jan 18, 2015, Steve Knight wrote:
I'm not sure what was included in the original post since I saw it too late, like many others. Here though are a few early DB interviews from 2002/3 for anybody that's interested.

http://we.tl/DSFwWadiei [/quote]

Thank you. Very much appreciated.
[quote]On Jan 18, 2015, Steve Knight wrote:

http://we.tl/DSFwWadiei [/quote]
Greatly appreciated
Speaking of arriving late to a party... I just discovered that Derren Brown answered questions here from Sep 14, 2004, to Sep 17, 2004, using the name DerrenBrown (should you care to run a search). I don't know if my search results are clickable for others, but here are the results I came up with:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_results_posts.php?search_id=8502038&start=0
Or just go to the Chef's Special section and click on the special guests for 2004.
Thanks for that (I hadn't seen it). I just clicked over there. It's all there, too, but it also includes all the questions that Derren wasn't able to answer.
Is there a way to download these files now as the link has expired?
Id like to hear these too. Can someone put them back up?