(Close Window)
Topic: HELP!!!!
I had my regents in Global today and I think I failed because they asked a question on Bio not Global and it wasnt a mistake at all!!! My Question is do you need great grades to be a GREAT magician? I am not a scholar at all because I even forget to spell easy word I feel like Neville on Harry Potter.
I need help what is the best advise!!!

Wikiro :dance: :stout: :stout: :stout:
Im going to need these.
A good education can only help you to improve any aspect of your life. Many great magicians are very well educated, look at some of the Doctors who are excellent magicians(Steve Bedwell,Michael Rubenstein),
Alan Ackerman is a math Professor.

I don't think an education is ever a bad idea, no one ever wishes they had less education(I hope).
Wikiro,
You ask if you need great grades to be a great magician.
That's a bit like asking, "do you need two arms or legs to be a great magician."
Well, possibly not -- but it's a whole lot easier if you do.
Too many people today get too focussed on one thing, like magic.
There's a whole world out there, in art, politics, philosophy, history; and ALL of it will help you be a better magician.
Sure, there are -- and were -- magicians who had little or no formal education; Houdini was one, but he strove all his life to educate himself in literally everything.
Ichazod is right on: "no one ever wishes they had less education."
(Except, of course, to be grammatically correct, it should be "he" and not "they"! :rotf: )
cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
No I absolutly want to learn everything there is out there I have had many many personal studies out side of school on my own. I can personally make an ancient japanese sword not like the good old days but I know how to fold the steal and everything. I've studied martial arts and tried to do Tai Chi to improve my grades but it hasnt helped because I never practiced it in a long time. I've studied on the Japanese culture for the longest time just because I wanted to learn their ways. They are incredable. They can learn anything within a week if they wanted and I tried and tried to figure out how they could do that and all Ive learned was that they were born with it. I am not saying I'm deprived or anything but I wish I could understand things that I hate and that pretty much what they offer in school topic that are extremely boring and depressing. Like I would want to remember what they did to those people in WWII it was horrible and they want us to write this on paper?!! I know why they have school and all but I just cant pay attention for some reason I try and I try but no matter what, my mind wanders. To the most pointless unrealistic things. I want to be able to pay attention but it feels like I have Cri Du Chat (not that it is a bad thing). Thats why I posted this message so I could get tips on how to pay attention, to study, and to stop being such a dope.

Wikiro :stout: :stout:
[quote]
On 2002-06-19 05:42, Peter Marucci wrote:

Ichazod is right on: "no one ever wishes they had less education."
(Except, of course, to be grammatically correct, it should be "he" and not "they"! :rotf: )
cheers,
Peter Marucci

[/quote]

Or she :rolleyes:

Wikiro, I don't want to play doctor here, but perhaps you have attention deficit disorder? It might be worth looking into.

I wish you the best :)
Do not mistake "school" for an "Education"

School is what you do to learn and get graded on your progress. Education is what you get that ultimately determines your performance and quality of life.

As you rightly determined, knowing how to learn, is more important than any specifc thing you may come to understand or learn.

Unfortunately many schools teach "what to think" (knowledge) and few teach "how to think" (Understanding) So it is like giving a hungry man a fish so he can eat, as opposed to teaching him to fish so he can go on feeding himself.

As a child growing up in poor family surrounded by many neighbors of substance, my mother gave me advice that was I think was foundational to my ability to think through situations. She said "watch". See what others do. Watch how others react to them. And you will learn how, what , and when to... and what, and when not to....

In other words it is about being "self aware" of your abilities and current limits, but being "other aware" to the potential and possibilities for you.

Also, always be willing to ask; Why? And as John Kennedy said in a slightly different context; ask "why not?"

Listen and understand how it fits for you. I have often been told things that sound like facts. "Oh, you cant ....", But when I asked why not, I found the answer many times was "because it hasnt been done before", or that the reasons that it was not possible in the past, no longer existed - but people still let themselves be limited by an old truth, that is no longer true.

Seek understanding. Read, talk, engage older people, and young ones too. Get outside your intellectual comfort zone. The mind, like a muscles is strengthened by constant use, and the stretching of it. Breadth is measure of Understanding, while depth is the measure of knowledge. Learn well those things of value to you, and learn enough of the rest to know what is of value to you.

BroDavid
That is the best advise I have ever heard. Thanks! :bg:

Wikiro :dance:
Thank you for your kind words. I hope that mine, gleaned from a lifetime of "looking around" are helpful and encouraging.

On an anecdotal note, I one was interviewing for a Job. And because my resume does not claim a Doctorate, a Master's Degree or even a Bachelor Degree, the interviewer read the resume and said; "I see from your resume, that you don't have an education."

To which I responded respectfully; "No, Sir what you see - is that I do not have college degree. But I assure you, and my past accomplishments and current references will attest, that I do have an excellent education."

I didnt get that job, ;) but in retrospect - I was better off not working for someone who was so small-minded that work related accomplishments rated lower than unrelated school studies.

And the last bit of advice, which I think is really key to all of the rest; is know what you know. DOnt fool yourself and get in the habit of "knowing it all" in every situation.

I often work with people whose opinion of their own knowledge are highly inflated that they dont even know, that they dont know! So they never ask, and worse yet, just wont listen since they think they know. Or they are so prideful that they think they should know, and to protect their ego, they will pretend until they even fool themselves.

Be real. Be real with others, and especially, be real with yourself.

In the Bible, Solomon asked God for Wisdom. He could have asked for ANYTHING. But the fact that he asked for Wisdom shows me that he was already pretty wise.

I think if you are wise enough to ask avise as you did, Wikiro - then you are on the right path!

Godd Luck, and God Bless!

BroDavid
I am really enlightened by what you have said and I thank you to the bottom of my heart.

God Bless you as well.

Wikiro :angel:
Hey Wikiro!

Good question! Some really beautiful answers have been posted!

Well...I have a similar kinda story...Well, it's a dumb story, but THAT'S beside the point! :lol:

I'm in highschool, I'm homeschooled, and I want to be a pro guitarist...err...ROCK GOD! Lol! I was looking at this college for music. I was thinking "well, if I don't learn my school stuff really good, it's ok as long as I can play guitar good"....BUT...The college wants high SAT scores! The very thing I was thinking that I could "fudge"! AGGGH!!! SO, when I don't have a math book propped in front of me, I would say: Don't limit yourself. LEARN EVERYTHING. Sometimes magic can be harder than school! Lol! But I think that, in the long run, you will be glad that you're well rounded.

>>>
I am not saying I'm deprived or anything but I wish I could understand things that I hate and that pretty much what they offer in school topic that are extremely boring and depressing. Like I would want to remember what they did to those people in WWII it was horrible and they want us to write this on paper?!! >>>

Now...THAT could be the teacher's fault! As I've said before, I'm homeschooled, so if a particular way of learning something doesn't work for me, I switch. Believe it or not, History is one of my favorite subjects. HOWever, I'm into learning about left wing history and politics. It makes it MUCH more interesting! Lol! Also, who should FORGET the horrible crimes that have been commited by humanity? If anything, we need to remember! Maybe the teacher is making it boring and gory pointlessly.

Sometimes I myself have trouble concentrating and stuff. But hey, maybe that's a "zenish" lesson! If I can learn disclipline with Math, maybe it can help me when I'm trying to learn the sneaky, underhanded, three finger in your teeth pass! LOL!

The best of luck, buddy!

Bird Brain
Well, I think a lot of people have been very reassuring but I wanted to just play devils advocate for a minute (although I still wouldn't criticise you). I just wanted to point out that education for a magician is fairly important.

Recently our company wanted to hire a local magician for a company party, he turned in his portfolio and it was riddled with grammar mistakes, why am I going to pay someone to speak ebonics and light things on fire at my upscale business party? (Not that I'm in charge of hiring I just thought it was worth pointing out.) In addition history can be wonderful fodder for patter in your routines, everyone always wants to talk about "Did you know that ___ has special properties?" but imagine what you could do with knowledge outside of our time and our country. Besides all that, I imagine there are only spaces for so many david copperfields, jeff mcbrides, and so on. If you are just a magician you're limiting you options quite a bit.

Just worth thinking about,
Dan
Excellent point Dan!

It is possible, that in my previous ramblings, I may have downplayed the need for formal education. And if so, I would amend my message to agreee with Dan. You must have the fundamentals of education, and some of the fundamentals are best taught in schools. Reading, Writing, and "rithmatic" are important.

Above all, a Magician is a communicator. And if you speak, write, and spell so poorly that you are disqualified before you get the chance to perform, then it wont really matter if you can vanish really amazing things since you wont get the chance to try.

Thanks Dan for reminding me that there is a necessary baseline of fundamentals.

BroDavid