(Close Window)
Topic: Gypsy yo yo
Hello, all!

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a Mark Mason gypsy yo yo a bit early. It's just like it sounds! You come out and yo yo, break the thread 3 or 4 times, place the balled up thread back on the remaining thread, then, to everyone's amazement, pull the string to show the restoration. Then, you yo yo again! It's wonderful. I haven't performed it yet, but will soon.

You'll need to set up before each performance, and you'll obviously have to buy rolls of cotton thread. But I figure I'll prepare several sets of thread in the morning for the day's shows. And talk about taking up no space in your case!!! Just a friggin yo yo! :)

Anyway, just thought I'd share. This is a worker and a VERY practical and logical application of the gypsy thread theme.
Awesome. This was on my list once it is released!
Thanks dude.
My pleasure, fellas :)
Can you do this with any yo-yo, or does it have to be the one supplied?
For example, could you take the method, and then perform real (read: complicated) tricks with it? Or is it more of just proving it can go down/up and that's it?
I look forward to checking this out. Sounds as you say Frankie, a logical (and kid-friendly) way to present Gypsy Thread....which has always underwhelmed me.....
Mark mason deemed this at Blackpool. You need to use the Yo Yo supplied. If you do four shows a day, as many of you do, then buy four sets.
Yep--as was already posted, has to be this yo yo. I don't think you'd need multiple yo yos if you had multiple shows. Mark shows you how to have several threads ready to go for repeat performances. That's what I've been doing.

And Potty, you got it. It just makes sense. You present it as an "I was always too short for a yo yo" sort of story. Mark talks about the fact that one wouldn't actually be able to break a yo yo string with one's bare hands. And it is slightly difficult to snap with your fingers. But I've been doing it. He shows you an alternative with scissors...through there's no difference. Just...scissors.
I saw Mason pitch it recently. Very nice to show all the gimmicks and methods. Seemed to be the new trend.
Anyway, Nice idea but $45 and if you restore to the same size, the story of the being too short does not make much sense. You should be prepared to actually be able to yo yo a few times before and after or the effect will not look good. Mason was telling everyone where to get the stuff in bulk at local stores for about 2 bucks (300 performances. He gives you 10 strings to start you off.

It is not Mason's idea from what I can tell. He is just producing it at a high price.

$45? Not really sure what justifies that. maybe I missed something when he showed us how to load it but surprised this was one higher priced effect that he sold.
This sounds like a good effect. I have to keep it in mind.

As I was reading this again, I am thinking of perhaps adapting the method to a Practical Magic trick I own, Skip and Snip ( https://www.practical-magic.com/online-shop/all-products/skip-n-snip-now-with-dvd-detail ), to use with a yo-yo for a variation on Skip and Snip.
Looks like this is now available to order at MJM Magic: http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/-p-20281.html

They said it will be shipping out this week (Thursday or Friday).
[quote]On Apr 7, 2015, KatieD wrote:
Looks like this is now available to order at MJM Magic: http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/-p-20281.html

They said it will be shipping out this week (Thursday or Friday). [/quote]

It's also available on Mark Mason's website, as I'm a believer in supporting the creator, or in this case the manufacturer.

http://www.jbtvusa.com/latest-j-b-products/gypsy-yo-yo-by-david-levitan-634-73-828.php
[quote]On Apr 7, 2015, Powermagic wrote:
$45? Not really sure what justifies that. maybe I missed something when he showed us how to load it but surprised this was one higher priced effect that he sold. [/quote]

What you missed is that it is a "special" Yo Yo, with a trap door, and is held together with magnets.

You can Yo Yo with the Yo Yo, but only up and down lightly.

I agree the given patter is weak, but I am sure you will come up with a better story line. It is even the famous brand "Duncan", that everyone will recognize. This has very good possibilities in the right hands.

It looks like they make this model on the consumer market, one could buy a duplicate and do some Yo Yo moves then switch it for the gimmicked one and finish with the Gypsy theme, and prove it still works.
He ditches the pieces under the camera shot in the demo video, that turned me off.
Hello Bill your exposure is completely off. he showed me at the convention so don't know what you are talking about. But compared to some of the other items that he sells for less that I feel are more complex InDesign it is odd that he charges $45 for this one.
I watched Mark Mason demo the yo yo at the Penguin Magic Expo a few weeks ago.

I like Mark Mason's work but I wasn't impressed with this one .
While I was watching his demos, the Yoyo failed to work twice. If he has a hard time with it, it may need some more improvements.
His coin work was 1st class.
Was it the demo or the prop, Ihop? I will say it takes some practice; it's not as easy as the traditional gypsy thread. But after you've done it lots, everything works pretty smoothly. Plus, as has been said, Mark's presentation is pretty ordinary. Like everything, it really is about how one presents it. But it's worked for me so far!
Mark was explaining and showing how to prepare the prop.
He then went to demo it but it got undone.
He said it was because he set it up wrong.
I suppose he was in a hurry. Things were pretty hectic.
Got mine today and watched the dvd.Looks like it should work
everytime if you set it up properly.I like it and think it
will be a good change from the regular cut and restore rope routein.
Todd :thumbsup:
I received mine a few days ago and had some major issues with it but turned out the supplied string/yarn is not the best to use with it. PM if you have had the same problem and I can lend a hand.
My review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_pJ-Z2hCzw
Finally, I was able to save enough money to purchase this wonderful effect. I had to track down David Levitan and get his last one. The only thing with getting the last on, it has a crack line, where they must have had a problem making it gimmicked, so I will just have to live with that one. Mark Mason has been out of stock for over 2 years. And only has one on his U.K. website.

I was wrong, there is no trap door, as I posted from reading another person's comments. It is clever, but I just had to have it, as it took me back to my childhood, at the local 5 cent 10 cent store. These days we call them Dollar Stores. I was about 9 years old, as there was a salesman, demonstration man in front of the local 5 and 10 cent store. I was only half a block away, so I went down to see why the kids were gathering around him. He was doing all kinds of moves with his Yo YO, and impressing us all. He left with us a paper instructions sheet of the moves he did. He said he would be back in a week. So Yo Yo's were even expensive back then at a dollar. So I go the money together and started practicing, as the salesman would give the winner the super Yo Yo.

Well, weeks gone by, and he never returned.

So this effect means something personal to me. The working is simple enough. What I am thinking is to get a duplicate Yo Yo, they manufacture them right over in Ohio. I thinking of introducing a regular Yo Yo, then doing a switch. Topit may work, but I have to figure out a natural handling with misdirection, so it will fly right by spectators.

Anyone have any ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. This prop has been around for 4 years now, and hopefully someone has been performing it and thing as well on a way to introduce this effect.

The reason this is so expensive is because, Mark Mason got advice from Bob Swadling on the inner workings. There is a lot of added work that has gone into this prop.

It is to bad that Mark has not added David Levitan's original handling, so we could compare if it maybe be more favorable with some, plus it is always nice to see the original idea.

Yo Yo's from the manufacturer are only $3.99 each. It my be a good give away at a children's show. Could even get several children up and to see them work with the Yo Yo.
This is a great item
It gets great reactions
I still have mine in the original package that I have come across
During a tidy up now we have a little more time on our
hands. I have been been inspired to get it out and give it a go but
Finding an audience may prove to be a problem Perhaps entertain the food queues
Keep safe and role on 3 months
The bottom line for this one is real world work, the people love this effect
Demo might be rough, but this gets a good reaction