(Close Window)
Topic: Hacked by Brian Kennedy & World Magic Shop
Message: Posted by: tenyo4life (Feb 17, 2015 08:15AM)
Brand new blackpool release, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gWDvkYVxGo
Message: Posted by: TuneHV (Feb 17, 2015 10:16AM)
So much editing in that trailer.... ugh
Message: Posted by: Fire Starter (Feb 17, 2015 10:20AM)
I was thinking just the same, the way that trailer looked it was pure magic ,lol.
Message: Posted by: Kabbalah (Feb 17, 2015 12:23PM)
That's amazing!

*Freely selected* King and Queen of Spades!

:hysteric: :lol: :hysteric: :lol:
Message: Posted by: Doctor D (Feb 17, 2015 12:35PM)
The angle at which he's holding the card for the first change is SO natural, too!
Message: Posted by: Torquay22 (Feb 17, 2015 12:38PM)
Its the jumping back that I don't like, maybe just thinking like a magician.
Message: Posted by: TheGreatRaymondo (Feb 17, 2015 02:46PM)
Not for me thank you.
Message: Posted by: simon hughes (Feb 17, 2015 03:14PM)
I've seen worse trailers but I just can't think when.
Message: Posted by: gtx magic (Feb 17, 2015 04:29PM)
The ad copy with the video to promote is a deterrent not to buy!

Would of been better with just ad copy / gimmick and pdf/booklet with instructions and might of at least kept potential buyers interested,using their imagination how good it sounds and may look. Or make a better effort to with a decent promo vid.

Otherwise a bad promo vid. Sorry :thumbsdown:

Graham.
Message: Posted by: MarcLavelle (Feb 18, 2015 04:18AM)
:-S

Other than not using jumbo index (which has more room for signing): what is the difference between this and Forgery by Glenn West?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJx9z_mExHI
Message: Posted by: Cole Gross (Mar 5, 2015 10:51AM)
Happy to say that this great new item is IN STOCK NOW at Hocus Pocus.

Order your copy today!
http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?p=29010

If you have any questions please let me know.

Cole
Message: Posted by: Doctor D (Mar 5, 2015 01:54PM)
Loving the optimism there, Cole.
Message: Posted by: pegasus (Mar 5, 2015 02:14PM)
Sorry guys but Cole has spoken and I must take his word for it. Ordered. NOT. :rotf:
Message: Posted by: Kabbalah (Mar 5, 2015 02:16PM)
[quote]On Mar 5, 2015, Cole Gross wrote:

Happy to say that this [b]great new item[/b] is IN STOCK NOW at Hocus Pocus.

Cole [/quote]

I have to do this again, sorry!




:hysteric: :hysteric: :rotf: :lol:
Message: Posted by: DavidKenney (Apr 15, 2015 06:38AM)
Well, I got it and yes there are some angle issues, but here's what I thought

Creator: Brian Kennedy
Publisher: World Magic Shop
MSRP: $ 35
Skill Level: Intermediate
DVD Run time: 31 minutes

Type of effect:

Jumping ink, spectator's signature jumps back and forth between two cards.

Manufacturer's Write Up:

One of Ireland's leading creators - Brian Kennedy has finally released the work on his signature routine - HACKED The spectator clearly signs a playing card before their signature visually jumps onto a totally different card. Cause a spectator's signature to transfer from one card to another whilst it is held in their own hands!

The signature vanishes from the first card and appears on a completely different card - before making the return journey for a kicker ending!

DVD and custom gimmick included.

How accurate is the ad copy? 100%

What's in the box? DVD and 1 gimmick

Key points:

DVD teaches how to build the effect as well as use it.

How are the production values:

Moderate. The DVD has nice HD close up shots, but seated performance shots have a colored wash to them like they were not shot with enough light.

Is it well made:

The gimmick is well constructed.

Is it well taught:

Brian teaches you everything you need to know, and he even gives you 2 live performances in a real world setting.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked):

I liked that this is highly visual with a great kicker ending, plus it's nice to have an effect that works with 2 spectator's instead of just one.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?"

The gimmick is a single gimmick that will fit easily into your deck, or fit snug in a card wallet.

How practical is this in the real world? Does it "play big?"

I think the visual of a spectator's signature leaping off the card and then back again is a real brain scratcher and has the potential to fry someone if performed correctly.

How original is this idea?

Of course thee are plenty of jumping ink and shifting ink effects and I think most of us are used to signatures jumping from the backs of cards, Brian has devised a great little miracle that allows the spectator to witness the signature jumping from the face of the card that adds a nice twist to this classic plot.

Overall score: 8/10

+ If you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas you can visit this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaYmOPX_QXM
Message: Posted by: brandon90 (Apr 15, 2015 07:44AM)
Thanks for the detailed review, David.

I want to trust your judgement but this effect just doesn't look practical enough for me.

I'll sit on the fence a little longer and wait for more reviews.

best,
brandon
Message: Posted by: pegasus (Apr 15, 2015 06:32PM)
Make yourself very comfortable on that fence. :readingbook:
Message: Posted by: brandon90 (Apr 15, 2015 06:58PM)
[quote]On Apr 15, 2015, pegasus wrote:
Make yourself very comfortable on that fence. :readingbook: [/quote]

lol... I plan to.

I just watched the trailer again... I was cringing.
Message: Posted by: 1KJ (Apr 17, 2015 08:14PM)
[quote]On Mar 5, 2015, Cole Gross wrote:
Happy to say that this great new item is IN STOCK NOW at Hocus Pocus.

Order your copy today!
http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?p=29010

If you have any questions please let me know.

Cole [/quote]

Cole,
By coming across as a slimy used car salesman, you aren't doing yourself or your company any favors.
Message: Posted by: Kabbalah (Apr 17, 2015 08:21PM)
Once again, $35.00...

:rotf: :lol: :hysteric:
Message: Posted by: Slackerking (Apr 17, 2015 08:43PM)
Thanks for the useful review David, so much more helpful than the majority of completely useless posts in this thread. It's always interestng seeing the naysaying from people who don't have the actual effect compared to someone who does.

Kennedy's 50/Fifty is pretty clever, no reason to think this isn't too.
Message: Posted by: DavidKenney (Apr 18, 2015 07:42AM)
I'd say it's on par with the cleverness of the 50/50 effect (I have both) I agree the trailer is terrible and I would even scrap Brian's presentation for my own - but I think the gimmick would play so much more powerful
Message: Posted by: RNK (Apr 18, 2015 09:08AM)
My copy should be here in a few days. I will post my thoughts when it arrives.

RNK
Message: Posted by: RNK (Apr 20, 2015 06:59AM)
[quote]On Apr 15, 2015, DavidKenney wrote:
Well, I got it and yes there are some angle issues, but here's what I thought

Creator: Brian Kennedy
Publisher: World Magic Shop
MSRP: $ 35
Skill Level: Intermediate
DVD Run time: 31 minutes

Type of effect:

Jumping ink, spectator's signature jumps back and forth between two cards.

Manufacturer's Write Up:

One of Ireland's leading creators - Brian Kennedy has finally released the work on his signature routine - HACKED The spectator clearly signs a playing card before their signature visually jumps onto a totally different card. Cause a spectator's signature to transfer from one card to another whilst it is held in their own hands!

The signature vanishes from the first card and appears on a completely different card - before making the return journey for a kicker ending!

DVD and custom gimmick included.

How accurate is the ad copy? 100%

What's in the box? DVD and 1 gimmick

Key points:

DVD teaches how to build the effect as well as use it.

How are the production values:

Moderate. The DVD has nice HD close up shots, but seated performance shots have a colored wash to them like they were not shot with enough light.

Is it well made:

The gimmick is well constructed.

Is it well taught:

Brian teaches you everything you need to know, and he even gives you 2 live performances in a real world setting.

My thoughts (what I personally liked/disliked):

I liked that this is highly visual with a great kicker ending, plus it's nice to have an effect that works with 2 spectator's instead of just one.

Storage? Does it "pack flat?"

The gimmick is a single gimmick that will fit easily into your deck, or fit snug in a card wallet.

How practical is this in the real world? Does it "play big?"

I think the visual of a spectator's signature leaping off the card and then back again is a real brain scratcher and has the potential to fry someone if performed correctly.

How original is this idea?

Of course thee are plenty of jumping ink and shifting ink effects and I think most of us are used to signatures jumping from the backs of cards, Brian has devised a great little miracle that allows the spectator to witness the signature jumping from the face of the card that adds a nice twist to this classic plot.

Overall score: 8/10

+ If you want to see my full review with even more of my opinions and ideas you can visit this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaYmOPX_QXM [/quote]

I got to open my copy yesterday and watched the DVD. I agree with David's review. Though, I found myself struggling at times to understand Brian when he was speaking. His words are soft and run together which was tough for me to understand.

I do like the gimmick and it is well made. I see a lot of possibilities with this gimmick. It definitely has a lot of potential to create some fascinating visual magic. As David stated in his review- I to would change up the routine a little but my initial thoughts are this will be a worker for me.

As far as the price tag- $35.00. Part of me says, "Yes" worth it. A little part of me says, "Well- could have been $25.00 or so". But because it comes with one gimmick already made and Brian explains how to construct the gimmick, in addition to the strength of the magic you can create with this gimmick- I am not disappointed that I paid $35.00. The gimmick is easy to use and easy to construct. That's a big plus in my book. I tend to end up not using gimmicks when doing card magic, as a matter of fact- I always find myself using at most a double facer at times. In saying that- I find this gimmick worth trying and experimenting with and will give it a go.

I will post more after actually performing it.

RNK
Message: Posted by: RNK (Apr 20, 2015 07:02AM)
[quote]On Apr 17, 2015, 1KJ wrote:
[quote]On Mar 5, 2015, Cole Gross wrote:
Happy to say that this great new item is IN STOCK NOW at Hocus Pocus.

Order your copy today!
http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?p=29010

If you have any questions please let me know.

Cole [/quote]

Cole,
By coming across as a slimy used car salesman, you aren't doing yourself or your company any favors. [/quote]

I have to say 1KJ- your previous statement was unfair. I have to agree with Cole now that I actually have HACKED and checked it out. I do believe the gimmick is a great idea and will be usable in the real world.

RNK
Message: Posted by: brandon90 (Apr 20, 2015 02:46PM)
The trailer just isn't doing it for me.

Seems so unnatural.
Message: Posted by: 1KJ (Apr 24, 2015 11:57PM)
[quote]On Apr 20, 2015, RNK wrote:
[quote]On Apr 17, 2015, 1KJ wrote:
[quote]On Mar 5, 2015, Cole Gross wrote:
Happy to say that this great new item is IN STOCK NOW at Hocus Pocus.

Order your copy today!
http://www.hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/?p=29010

If you have any questions please let me know.

Cole [/quote]

Cole,
By coming across as a slimy used car salesman, you aren't doing yourself or your company any favors. [/quote]

I have to say 1KJ- your previous statement was unfair. I have to agree with Cole now that I actually have HACKED and checked it out. I do believe the gimmick is a great idea and will be usable in the real world.

RNK [/quote]

OK, fair enough. However, I'm getting tired of hearing the same "used card" pitch for every new effect. I would venture to guess that he hasn't opened the package on a few of these "great new items".

I'm just saying it turns me off. Just one person's opinion.

KJ
Message: Posted by: James Conti (May 17, 2015 01:49AM)
Just picked this up - here are my thoughts: Hacked is an effect where two cards are selected and one is signed, the signature from that card jumps to the 2nd card, then jumps back. You receive a gimmick and a DVD when you purchase the effect. The gimmick you get is simple and well made. It should last nearly forever as there are no elastics or magnets that are breakable. He teaches you how to easily construct a new gimmick from scratch if for some reason yours rips, you lose it or you want another one in a new back design, etc. The gimmick is really clever and works really well, the one provided is very well constructed for what it is. The routine is really cool. It uses two spectators and two selections, and has two moments of magic. It isn't too hard, but will take a bit of practice as there is one part of the routine which is slightly ballsy to execute and you will need ample misdirection to execute it. Don't let that scare you though, as the routine isn't complex by any means. I can see this routine getting great reactions. Presentation is completely up to you as well, I really like the idea of an identity theft style presentation. I would pickpocket their credit card earlier on in the routine (which I learnt from Greg Wilson's At The Table lecture), perform this routine then in the end, give them their credit card back and say something like "lucky I don't try this on people's credit cards" - then wait for them to realise it's their credit card. Just an idea. The DVD is okay produced, the lighting was a little bit iffy and Brian's accent is a little hard to understand at times, but that shouldn't get in the way of your learning experience. He teaches the routine well, and also gives some great subtleties and tips that will help when you perform the effect. For $35, this does feel a little pricey, but it is a very strong piece of magic and if you like the idea of signatures jumping from one card to the other, it does what it says it does. The method is really clever and you can create more gimmicks if needed, I say it's a winner. Nothing bad to really say about it, it's cool. 9/10