(Close Window)
Topic: Revealing secrets
What, if anything, do you do if a fellow magician is revealing secrets to the populace? I have been doing a (very) little magic for quite some time but never really put much time into it so I don't actually feel comfortable calling myself a magician.

However, I went to a restaurant recently to see someone perform tableside I asked for him when my wife and I arrived. When he came up to us he said, "You must be a magician." (I think he was expecting someone with kids at the table.) I told him some of the things I do to entertain friends and students. He proceeded to do some nice routines that even I could tell required skill at sleight. He also showed me a thing or two after I named some of the effects, etc. which I appreciated, but here's the kicker—I hesitate because I don't want to rat on him, but I will not be giving his name—he was explaining what he was showing my wife (and other tables could hear I'm sure). I explained that she doesn't know about ... or ... and that she doesn't want to. He kept explaining.

My wife tried not to listen (she really likes the mystery). He then went to a nearby table with two adults and two kids. I could make out the boy of about 11 explain a thing or two, so he knew some magic, but again, the performer showed the whole family (and whoever else was listening) a number of secrets.

Lastly he came back (he had to "setup") and floated a bill. He started showing me the setup (which I was already familiar with) and he mentioned IT (the words not the initials). My wife (HALF jokingly) looked at me aghast and said, "Do you use IT?!" It was actually kind of funny if I wasn't so troubled.

Am I overreacting?

Sorry for the length, but it did bother me.
He doesn't sound like much of a professional. Was he a new magician, overly impressed with himself for landing his first gig and trying to show off?

I would say talk to him and explain your viewpoint, but it sounds as though he already ignored your comments to him, so complain to management. Tell them that the magician ruined your enjoyment of the show and you wouldn't be back unless and until he changes his attitude.
I don't understand why people spoil it for the rest of us that spends our money and work hard at what we do. It's a shame.
He sounds like an amateur and an idiot really, as he's destroying his spectators' astonishment that he created during his routine. I believe it is really a disservice to spectators when a magician reveals the method because he then removes that magic buzz in which they're basking. It seems that instead of being interested in entertaining and amazing his spectators, he or his ego wanted approval and validation as being crafty.

I would call the manager and explain that you had a terrible experience with their magician. He performed, then even after you requested him not to tell the secrets, he ruined the performance and the experience. It was a waste of time and ask the manager when the magician doesn't work, so you can come back when he's not there. Then have your wife call. This customer complaint is no different than if you received bad service from a unknowledgable and unskilled server.
Yep. This guy is an idiot. Some people gleen a secret and use it to show off to others in order to make themselves feel like geniuses, but they just come off looking like obnoxious know-it-alls. He's like the guy who sat behind me in the theatre at [i]Lord of the Rings[/i] and kept saying, "That wasn't in the book. They left this out..." Good for you, monkey-boy. You know how to kill a good thing. Now shut up and read your comic books.
I agree to most of the other postings, this guy definitely is an idiot...but not only because he's trying to receive appreciation by revealing secrets. What's more, his behavior is absolutely counter-productive for himself. Think about it for a minute. If he reveals his secrets there will be (over time) less and less people who are even interested in paying attention to him. Sure, at first you catch people's attention, but once secrets aren't secrets anymore, who would be interested in him revealing them?
Putz.
I would first take him aside and explain your objection to his behavior and explain how it hurts his performance. If you get no response I would go to the manager and explain that revealing the secrets will have a negative impact on his return business, once the magic is "gone" it makes people less likely to return with friends, etc.
I agree with Renegade. You need to take him aside and tell him he is out of line. He may be less inclined to share secrets in the future for fear of another magician catching him. I think you should talk to him.

Bill
No, you are not over reacting. Tell him (like Renegade said) what he is doing. He probably doesn't know how bad it is. Just sit down with him, and tell him the truth, hopefully that will work.
You guys are exactly right about spoiling it for the audience, etc. As we were leaving our waitress asked how we liked him, I said that he did some good things (which he did). She shrugged her shoulders and said that he had shown her how he did the tricks and that it wasn't a big deal..."I could do them."

I believe I would like to talk to him again before I go to the management. Not sure why, maybe it would mean more than a threat or scolding. I've just got to get up there again, it's a bit of a drive and he performs on a rather inconvenient night for me.

Thanks for your input.
Yeah, but you already tried talking to him at the table, he didn't listen and it seems he is so far off by telling everyone how he did his tricks that your words won't be accepted if you repeat them in the future. That's just not what magic is and he obviously doesn't care about preserving the art. He's as bad as that clown on TV who "reveals the secrets."

A stronger lesson that may actually help him in the long run is to get the blind-sided talk initiated by the manager. It may shock him into reevaluating his style. Plus, if you speak to him and he "agrees" with you, then you don't know if his agreement was ****. You don't talk to a server if you get bad service.

Call the manager. This guy doesn't understand or appreciate the art of magic.
Giday JEFFC

Sounds like this was a disturbing and disappointing experience for you and your wife. I agree it would be valuable for this performer to receive a serious reminder of the importance of maintaining the secrecy and mystery. Perhaps you could send an email to him and direct him to this forum to have a reflective read of these opinions?

While on the topic of giving away secrets... When I am in a strolling table situation and there is a fervent request to show a secret, I use this as an opportunity to entertain the majority of the audience (including those at the adjoining tables) by doing that close-up to the person pushing for a secret to be revealed effect where I squash a paper serviette into a ball and while close the person hits it three times in my hand. It disappears to the amusement of the majority and to the amazement of the person up close. It is entertaining and I am able make a point of respectfully maintaining the secrecy.

Troppo Bob
Actually, don't take him aside, take him out to the parking lot... somewhere dark... maybe behind a dumpster...
Sounds like the perfect occasion for a sawing in half illusion to me... ;)
Message: Posted by: Josh the Superfluous (Feb 12, 2004 02:45PM)
I think I had that guy sit behind me at a movie. What an idiot. A strolling masked magician. How about a card reader finishing a reading by saying, "Oh those were generalizations, but weren't they clever?". Buffoon.

-Josh
Can you say "heckle"? Wear him out!
You should speak to the manager and explain to him that he is ruining the enjoyment for the spectators. Also, you should have a word withr him and tell him about the principles of not giving secrets about how things are done.

What an idiot!
I have always said as long as there are skeptics the truth will always remain questionable. You know why? Because as long as doubt fills the minds of those people that seek the truth, there will always be that element to disbelieve. So what I'm saying is create doubt in the minds of those who the secrets were revealed to.

Magically
Aus
I am curious on how the guy even got the gig? Did he walk up to the manager and say, "Let me show you some magic, and last but not least—let me show you how I did it."

You should walk up to the manager and slap him, then walk up to the "wannabe" and slap him even more, while you tell him never to do any magic ever again.

It ****** me off when I read stories like that!

Jack
I agree with JackDaniel, it annoys me when people reveal the secrets and slights that you work so hard on. I say talk to the manager.
He won't be around long if he keeps doing this. I don't think that people want to know how it's done. They might say they do but really deep down don't want to. People like to ponder over mystery. And besides, if he keeps this up he might do it to the wrong person (magician) and get whacked! Am I right FireDice? LOL!! :)
Jeffc, you definitely have the right attitude and so does your wife. For some strange reason some magicians don't want magic to be magical. Personally I feel the sense of wonder is a great gift and if we can give this to others we are doing a very good thing. Preserve the secrets. For your sake and for magic's sake, but also for the spectators' sake.

And spread this message. :)
Too right! I love to be entertained with magic and am very happy to sit and be mystified with any tricks inside or outside my genre.

I do have a very inquisitive girlfriend and she's not easy to fool either. It took sometime for me to convince her that it's best she doesn't peek at my book's explaining, that knowing just one part of a trick could blow many tricks from her future enjoyment. Now she's a much happier spectator.
Firedice27: Nice touch, you sound like my uncle Vinny...the one who owns the cement factory...oceanside! Think the putz could escape from a pair of cement sneakers? Nah, he'd just tell everyone how he did it!
I like how the guy expected to see kids at the table. Like magic is for children. pfft
Message: Posted by: Chickens and Beandip (Mar 2, 2004 04:55PM)
Yeh I usually perform for friends and friends of my friends, but there is this one guy who comes by, and always tells me that a friend, who is a brother of a "magician" burnt the how to's and gave them to him. Lucky for me someone stole his cd's and he was a stoner so he forgot how they work. So I was still able too amaze. I got the name of the magician so I can go to the local shops and drop a name. Don't know if this would be the best idea, but it is annoying knowing that my practicing and HARD EARNED MONEY could be used in vain.

late.
B)
Absouletly unbelieveable just like my spelling if its wrong.Very unprofesional and he shouldnt be working at all.andy
Here in Vegas we have a couple of empty holes in the desert if you need 'em. ;-)
[quote]
On 2004-02-06 20:34, JEFFC wrote:
What, if anything, do you do if a fellow magician is revealing secrets to the populace? I have been doing a (very) little magic for quite some time but never really put much time into it so I don't actually feel comfortable calling myself a magician.

However, I went to a restaurant recently to see someone perform tableside I asked for him when my wife and I arrived. When he came up to us he said, "You must be a magician." (I think he was expecting someone with kids at the table.) I told him some of the things I do to entertain friends and students. He proceeded to do some nice routines that even I could tell required skill at sleight. He also showed me a thing or two after I named some of the effects, etc. which I appreciated, but here's the kicker—I hesitate because I don't want to rat on him, but I will not be giving his name—he was explaining what he was showing my wife (and other tables could hear I'm sure). I explained that she doesn't know about ... or ... and that she doesn't want to. He kept explaining.

My wife tried not to listen (she really likes the mystery). He then went to a nearby table with two adults and two kids. I could make out the boy of about 11 explain a thing or two, so he knew some magic, but again, the performer showed the whole family (and whoever else was listening) a number of secrets.

Lastly he came back (he had to "setup") and floated a bill. He started showing me the setup (which I was already familiar with) and he mentioned IT (the words not the initials). My wife (HALF jokingly) looked at me aghast and said, "Do you use IT?!" It was actually kind of funny if I wasn't so troubled.

Am I overreacting?

Sorry for the length, but it did bother me.
[/quote]

Ouch... that's bad. Just tell him to stop revealing the secrets and if he doesn't, talk to a few people around you to complain to the manager. The more complaints the better.

Good job trying to stop him though.
Just make sure you don't follow suit and you'll go further...

Oh, and see my signature.