(Close Window)
Topic: DICEpion Chris Congreave
I knew that Magictoa had a few new releases at Blackpool and one of them was with dice.

To be honest even though I didn't know the effect, I just wasn't that interested in a dice trick.

I saw Chris the night before and asked him about DICEption(it's printed that way on the box).

All he said was "i will show you it tomorrow at the stand & it will fool you".

I thought "it won't" !

He was right it fooled me really badly.

I thought this is so straight to the point & so impossible & thankfully the dice are not loaded. I mean you can even use imaginarry dice if you want to.

This is the effect for the benefit of anyone who hasn't seen it.

A spectator(yes spectator. Not participant or volunteer) is given a dice(3). They roll them to make sure they aren't loaded & when they are happy they roll

either all 3 or just 2 or even just 1. The numbers on top of the dice are added & whatever number it is, they then count down to it in a pack of cards that has been in full view. I might add every card is different in the deck & there is no rough and smooth or Svengali(another thing I loved about this).

Whatever the card is that is landed on, say 6 of hearts is by chance. It is so fair.

You now remove from your wallet or pocket a card which is not the card they are thinking of. However, when you turn it over there is a written prediction which tells you the card that will be stopped at and what total will be rolled on the dice.

ps. for workers you are ready to go immediatelly with a different result every time.

There is a little preparation to do (takes 5 mins) before you are ready to go. Once done you are done for life.

I messed up my preparation slightly. But in doing so have created an extra kicker so I am happy.

I let Chris know about it and he liked it, but he has now thought of an extra new presentation which is great!

If you don't get this, someone will fool you with it. It's that good.

I will use this over the weekend. I can't wait.

Thanks Chris & thanks Costos

Excellent release.

Mike Donoghue
Is this available as a download?
Sounds great :)
Where is this available?
[quote]On Feb 26, 2015, Mystification wrote:
Where is this available? [/quote]

Doesn't look like it is available yet.
Just checked Magic Tao and Chris Congreaves site and nothing about it..........yet.

Sounds promising.
I just want to add what a great guy Chris is. This Blackpool I was fortunate enough to spend a little time with him and what a time that was. Keep up the great thinking sir and here is to never changing ;)
It is actually MagicTao and Costas lol
[quote]On Feb 27, 2015, The Greek wrote:
It is actually MagicTao and Costas lol [/quote]

I meant I looked at Magic Tao as well as Chris Congreaves site. .
Sorry for any confusion. . Too late, I'm confused already. . Lol.
Geggy I was correcting the mistakes from Mikes initial post lol he must have predictive text on :)
Costas I am terrible with predicdatext it's unpredicdable text when I do it lol

Mike
So just to clarify, who is putting this effect out? And any news of trailer/release date. . Told you I was confused.
Geggy this was a Blackpool release. MagicTao is releasing this. We are currently working on the trailers for the 5 releases which this is one and will start bringing them out to the masses.
Thanks Costas. . .now unconfused.
Look forward to seeing this. . Regards
Gerry.
Must just say met Costas , Chris and the team at Blackpool on the Friday night and I must say top fellas each and everyone of them . Had a fabulous night which was so funny and entertaining and cannot wait for next year 😄
Any news on this? Sounds very promising
Could have at least spelt the name of the trick correctly in the title of this thread.
Obviously MagicDamo, you don't own the effect as I have spelt it exactly as it is PRINted on the box.

You obviously have a degree in English language(NOT) & Dam Damo you must be thick.

Mike Donoghue

ps. No need to respond as I don't want to embaress you at a magic convention.
MagicDamo I owe you an apology.

Damb, Lamb, Alakazam, you are correct.

Even though I held the box & tried to spell the name of the product exactly as it is printed, I messed up. Maybe I had the wrong reading glasses on as I have an older pair, or maybe I tricked myself.

So, very sorry for that.

However, I must add that it's all about the base, about the base, no treble. Sorry wrong spectacles again.

As John McEnroe would say, You can't be serious though, as this should be about the product & if it is any good or unworkable.

Fortunatly, it is an excellent, doable, instantly resetable, fooling & entertaining release that after extensive use gets my full backing.

Do yourself a favour & buy it and use it a few hundred times & then put your experience on the Café to help other performers.

You won't regret buying this.

Mike Donoghue
Sounds great Mike,I met Chris a couple of years ago when he was doing a gig at the Hotel I work for and he was performing in the bar after his spot,I came out of the lift and heard his dulcet tones so watched a few tricks told him I was into Magic and had bought some Chris and Gary Jones stuff.SO think I will buy this
Wanderwizard please buy this as it's every bit as god as I say it is.

Nothing fools me (or if it does, within a couple of seconds the penny drops & I realise what is happening ).

This fooled me badly.

You know how good Chris is & how he tweaks effects for the real world working conditions.

This is as good as it gets.

Mike Donoghue
Good NOT GOD.

I am doing it again !

Mike Donoghue
Where is this available?
Magictao

MIke
Just had a look at Magic Tao site,not out yet Mike but this sounds really good ,Yes Chris is a really top bloke he comes over so very well when performing
Give them a ring.

May be wrong but I thought it was available now.

Chris is great & he does a cracking lecture.

Mike
Magic Tao was selling it at Blackpool along with a few other of their new effects, and they have said their new line of effects will be released in the coming months.

I saw Chris' other new release, Horoscope, is up for pre-order now, so I was hoping for an update on Diception.
If anyone Pms me, I might tell them how they can get a copy before the pre release in a month or so 😃
[quote]On Mar 24, 2015, The Greek wrote:
If anyone Pms me, I might tell them how they can get a copy before the pre release in a month or so 😃 [/quote]

Wow, fantastic deal... if you are interested in this effect, I strongly suggest you take him up on this offer as well!
I am taking him up on the offer and will report back with a review as soon as I get it and work with it.
When Mike Donoghue started this thread there where a few things he wrote that got my attention.
Phrases like,

"you can even use imaginary dice if you want to"
"there is no rough and smooth or Svengali"
"you are ready to go immediately with a different result every time"

Really made me curious...

So I took the plunge and sent Costas a PM.
He gave me a nice offer and in return asked for my honest opinion about the effect.
Well here it is, my first productreview on the Café:

On the DVD you find in your packages (included in the package are some more extra items) there are 2 performances, one in a live setting and one in the studio.
A complete step by step tutorial for the first and only setup required.
This set up will take you about 10 minutes and really is easy to do.
A thorough explanation of the effect and different ways of performing and getting to the revelation.

My opinion:
I love how they got all the necessary steps for explanation and performing on the DVD and still keep it in a about 20 minute timeframe.
Sure you want to know everything about an effect you just bought, but don't you just hate it when a DVD goes on and on and about every little thing they can come up with, and you feel yourself falling asleep when someone on your screen tries to explain for the third time why they choose red back cards instead of blue....
This DVD has best of both worlds, thorough but short!

Except for a Sharpie everything you need is in the package.
NO "you have to supply your own deck of cards" and NO "go out to the hardware store and find yourself the exact kind of tape or glue to build your prop".
Thank you for that MagicTao!

I am not a Card Shark but this effect is easy to do.
There are, like in many other effects, different storylines to use and I have already got one at hand for myself.
Also there are some different ways to show/get to the revelation and one of them would make me as a participant ask a question to the performer (but hey I am not a layman...).
Yet there was another performance on the DVD that really made me wonder how Chris got to the revelation.
I Could only think of one and I was wrong!

All in all a very nice product that will give you some much fun performing it and fry laymen.

Thumbs up to Chris Congreave and MagicTao.
I also received this recently from Costas and the Magic Tao team.

The description of the effect in this thread is very accurate. I had a chance to perform it for some friends and family this weekend and it went over very well.

As stated, the one time set up takes about 10 min, then you are good to go.

The effect is easy to do and there are a few different variations taught on how to get into the revelation, so you have some variety in how you want to present this, which is nice. Depending on your preference and skill, the alternate handlings range from borderline self working to intermediate skill level, but all the handlings are very fooling.

Oh, and it also resets instantly.

All in all, its a winner in my book.
Can not seem to find it on magic Tao site?,sounds interesting.
[quote]On Apr 14, 2015, Fire Starter wrote:
Can not seem to find it on magic Tao site?,sounds interesting. [/quote]

I believe it will be released in a few weeks.
You can send Costas a PM.
I received mine as well. Two thumbs up. This is a very deceptive and extremely clever effect. This will fool both magicians as well as entertaining your lay audience.
Now up for preorder:
http://www.magictao.co.uk/diception-by-chris-congreave

Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEvf6V3HbGA

Ive performed this quite a bit and the reactions are top notch... it gets my highest recommendation.
Great feedback TuneHV. Thanks
I will order this will suit my style,Chris has not been on the monthly Magic Tao review show for a few months,hope he is okay? Just gonna see when it will deliver cos we are going on hols in a week,
I will order this will suit my style,Chris has not been on the monthly Magic Tao review show for a few months,hope he is okay? Just gonna see when it will deliver cos we are going on hols in a week,
I'm very interested in buying this effect but am a bit on the fence because the trailer fades out at a, what perhaps is, crucial point in the performance ... . Is this on purpose (as in deliberately [i]hiding[/i] something?) or is it just me being paranoid?
From what's shown in the trailer I'm thinking 16 possible numbers. .rolling 3 dice. . And lots of pocket space for your multiple outs. . Would really be good to see a full performance. . I want to like this, but not sure at the moment.
[quote]On Jun 21, 2015, geggy wrote:
From what's shown in the trailer I'm thinking 16 possible numbers. .rolling 3 dice. . And lots of pocket space for your multiple outs. . Would really be good to see a full performance. . I want to like this, but not sure at the moment. [/quote]

Yep you can use 3 dice at the same time (don't need to but you can).
No extra pocketspace is needed!
I don't know why they chose to edit the trailer as it really wasn't necessary, there's no fishy moves going on
[quote]On Apr 4, 2015, Marc O wrote:
When Mike Donoghue started this thread there where a few things he wrote that got my attention.
Phrases like,

"you can even use imaginary dice if you want to"
"there is no rough and smooth or Svengali"
"you are ready to go immediately with a different result every time"

Really made me curious...

So I took the plunge and sent Costas a PM.
He gave me a nice offer and in return asked for my honest opinion about the effect.
Well here it is, my first productreview on the Café:

On the DVD you find in your packages (included in the package are some more extra items) there are 2 performances, one in a live setting and one in the studio.
A complete step by step tutorial for the first and only setup required.
This set up will take you about 10 minutes and really is easy to do.
A thorough explanation of the effect and different ways of performing and getting to the revelation.

My opinion:
I love how they got all the necessary steps for explanation and performing on the DVD and still keep it in a about 20 minute timeframe.
Sure you want to know everything about an effect you just bought, but don't you just hate it when a DVD goes on and on and about every little thing they can come up with, and you feel yourself falling asleep when someone on your screen tries to explain for the third time why they choose red back cards instead of blue....
This DVD has best of both worlds, thorough but short!

Except for a Sharpie everything you need is in the package.
NO "you have to supply your own deck of cards" and NO "go out to the hardware store and find yourself the exact kind of tape or glue to build your prop".
Thank you for that MagicTao!

I am not a Card Shark but this effect is easy to do.
There are, like in many other effects, different storylines to use and I have already got one at hand for myself.
Also there are some different ways to show/get to the revelation and one of them would make me as a participant ask a question to the performer (but hey I am not a layman...).
Yet there was another performance on the DVD that really made me wonder how Chris got to the revelation.
I Could only think of one and I was wrong!

All in all a very nice product that will give you some much fun performing it and fry laymen.

Thumbs up to Chris Congreave and MagicTao. [/quote]

Marc,

Thanks for the excellent write up!
Two questions
1) do you have to wear a jacket or can you pull the reveal from you pants pocket?
2) does the reveal have to be on a playing card or could it be on something else like your business card?

Thanks,

Dan
1) Don't need a jacket, you can show the reveal card from your pants pocket... or there is handling taught where you reveal the card in the deck as well.
2) Has to be on a playing card as taught on the DVD, but I don't see why that would be an issue
[quote]On Jun 21, 2015, TuneHV wrote:
1) Don't need a jacket, you can show the reveal card from your pants pocket... or there is handling taught where you reveal the card in the deck as well.
2) Has to be on a playing card as taught on the DVD, but I don't see why that would be an issue [/quote]

Yep!
Great. I'll be ordering it then. I'll be ordering it then. I am working on a mentalism routine and pulling a sing playing card out of my pocket for th reveal would be outf place in my routine. Thanks for the answers!

Dan
Order placed. Looking forward to it.
Maybe Magic Tao will have it on there review show soon and we can see a full performance. . Go on Costas, you know you want to..
I have one for sale. Shipping In USA a only though.

PM me if interested. new condition
That's a good idea Geggy :)
[quote]On Jun 25, 2015, The Greek wrote:
That's a good idea Geggy :) [/quote]

Thanks Costas, appreciated.
Wondering if the deck can be replaced with a blank faced deck with words written on it.
Rather than actual playing cards
Stephen Young I don't see why not :)
[quote]On Jun 22, 2015, geggy wrote:
Maybe Magic Tao will have it on there review show soon and we can see a full performance. . Go on Costas, you know you want to.. [/quote]

And...as if by magic, Diception is featured on the latest Magic Tao review show...
I don't know if this is quick work by Costas or a strange coincidence but no stooges were used!!

Thank you Costas,
I would say quick work. It wasn't our intention to give a once over of one of our own releases. Maybe we should do something like this more often :)

Here is the link for those that want to watch it as well.

http://www.magictao.co.uk/TaoTV/Weekly-Magazine-EP-38
[quote]On Jun 26, 2015, The Greek wrote:
I would say quick work. It wasn't our intention to give a once over of one of our own releases. Maybe we should do something like this more often :)

Here is the link for those that want to watch it as well.

http://www.magictao.co.uk/TaoTV/Weekly-Magazine-EP-38 [/quote]

Thanks again,
Not watched it myself yet, but looking forward to seeing your latest show.
The performance by young Chris on TAO TV was brilliant,cannot wait for mine arriving,and self working too,
Anyone else having delays getting theirs?
It almost August and I haven't received mine yet.
Got mine today, really didn't think I would enjoy it as much..

This or the annihilation deck by Mister Cameron Francis.. Hard to decide which trick deck I should pick.

But you won't be disappointed with this, full review to come
[quote]On Jul 31, 2015, MagicallyMe wrote:
Anyone else having delays getting theirs?
It almost August and I haven't received mine yet. [/quote]
Yes, the same. It all seems very slow.
Are you also still waiting for yours to arrive?
Product description : The trick is quite easy to understand, one red backed card with something written on it is shown to the audience but they're not able to read what is on it. A blue backed deck is introduced along with 3 dices, spectator chooses to roll 1, 2 or 3 of them. The numbers on each dices are added so you get one final number, let's say 12. You count down to this number without showing which card it is. You bring your prediction card (we will discuss from where you can actually take it) and it is written the number on it as well as one card, they turn the 12th card and it's a perfect match !

Price and where to buy it : This is sold at $35 and you can get from any partner of Murphy's Magic !

What you get : You get a small cardboard box with inside, a regular blue deck of cards as well as some red cards needed for the effect and 3 dice. Everything is provided so you can prepare it right out of the pack. No DVD for this one but a rather well produced video download with live perfomances and clear explanations. Overall, you can't go wrong with the quality of the props, neither with the explanations.

Teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEvf6V3HbGA

The pros and the cons : Here is the core of my review, let's begin with the cons, as I will usually be doing, I prefer to keep the good things for the end.

THE CONS :
This is a deck which is dedicated for one trick, meaning you can't do another trick with this deck, you can't shuffle or have it examined. Not that it is a con but you have to take it into consideration.
For some handlings, the angles will be maybe a little bit worse than for some other handlings.
You definately pay an idea right there instead of a well built gimmick, I'm fine with that if the idea is worth it, so is it ? Let's find out with the pros !

THE PROS :
This trick is fooling, I would like to have experimented live because I'm sure I would have been speechless. But still, the demo got me and I fooled quite a lot of people with it, including magicians !
They are several handlings taught so you can produce the prediction card out of your pocket if you want to but I prefer another one which is to show a red backed card INSIDE the blue deck before the trick and then, after the trick, taking it out of the deck to show that my prediction matches everything.
You can adapt it to every language in the world, since the card provided are not prepared, you will have to write on it, it's a one time preparation which will last 5 to 10 minutes maybe but you won't need to do it again. So I'm French and I adapted the words on the cards so it makes sense to my audience.
The trick resets by itself, just put back the cards inside the pack and you're done.
You don't have to use the dices provided, you can use others ones if you want to or even don't use real ones but imaginary ones and you could go into another presentation if you want to !
Cards and dices are completely normal ! No roughing smooth, sticky stuff or anything used.

Overall rating : It has been a long time since I've not added a one trick deck to my repertoire, the last one being the annihiliation deck by Cameron Francis. But I can definately say that this one will have its own place in my repertoire ! I love the plot, love the method, love how easy and fooling it is. 4/4 hearts for me.

As for the difficulty level, nothing hard with it, well, it will depend on the handling you want to do but nothing really complicated, 2/5 stars.

Similar products : As said previously, the Annihiliation Deck is one of my favorite trick deck, along with the invisible one. Craig said it was his inspiration and I can easily understand that. Check those tricks, they're well worth it !

Make sure to see many other reviews on my website, link is my signature !

Thanks to Murphy's Magic for sending me this product !
The free download produced by Alakazam has DICEpion on it.I love this effect. It also has other great effects on it. It's from their Alakazam course. I think I'm going to start getting the courses.

Allen