(Close Window)
Topic: "So, what happens in your show?"
That is a question that I get a lot during phone calls with clients, and I am never sure how to respond. I describe some of the tricks that kids like the best, but it is so weird describing it to an adult. "Well, one of the things I do is I bring out a coloring book, and it doesn't have any colors, but then the kids help me with some magic, and, umm . . . it has colors there." What do you folks usually say to this question? Keep in mind, I do not yet have the budget to purchase the device to make a child levitate. Once I have that, I will upsell that.
Focus on the experience the kids will have and remember from your show. Forget about individual routine descriptions. Instead, describe all the laughter and magic from the child's perspective. My wife Leslie (who does all our bookings) paints a vivid portrait of the fun, amazement and wonder the kids will experience.

Also, because original, choreographed music is such a big part of our programs, Leslie gets the clients to perceive our shows as a "theatrical experience" rather than just a magic show.
Yeah, Aurther said it well. Don't talk about features really, focus on benefits of your show such as non-stop fun and laughter. You can mention a few features, but keep it quick and general such as interactive comedy magic geared to the age group, cute animal puppets with ventriloquism, or whatever. Don't get into specific tricks unless it's a "special" trick used as an upsell.
Message: Posted by: The Great Zucchini (Mar 5, 2015 01:00PM)
Arthur, I rarely get this, since people here are aware of me, and my show, but what I would say is- 'Imagine a 40 minute bellylaugh. I create that with a blend of interactions, and connection to the kids, that keeps them involved, and remembering the show for years to come'. I agree with the fellas above, no need to describe each effect.
Unless, you work tons with younger kids, you may describe a magician in trouble trick, that I think most people can visualize, and relate too. When I started out, I'd do this, and the description can indeed, sell.
Thank you all very much. That has pretty much been what I have been doing, but I was not sure if I was going about it all the wrong way . . .
I tell them that I will keep the kids laughing for an hour. If they insist on more, I tell them that I use magic, stories and puppets. If they ask for more, I tell them the kids will laugh for an hour. That's all I tell them.

Occasionally someone will be a bit anal about things, and will want specifics. Then I come clean: I won't know what I am going to do until I stand in front of the kids. If I don't know, how can I tell them? I have never said any more than that.
I tell them their will be silk-rope and liquid magic.
appearing and disappearing of different objects thoughout
the show.With plenty of children participatation.
And comedy from beginning to the end.
Todd
I seriously doubt that any client is expecting you to go into that level of detail about every effect. What they are likely looking for is a general response such as "I keep the kids highly entertained with non-stop interactive magic, games, music and laughter for up to an hour, while ensuring that the birthday child feels like the star of the show since this is their special day."

If they ask, you can always offer references or refer them to an online video of your performance if you have one. But these are stall tactics that should be avoided if at all possible. It's much more important to create a sense of urgency so as to alleviate the questions and to seal the deal.

Most prospective clients simply want to know that you have a method to your madness, so that they can feel confident that their party is in good hands. I typically advise them to reserve the date with me once they feel comfortable proceeding. But then say something like "I'm receiving several calls right now for that timeframe and therefore can't promise that I will even be available at this time tomorrow."

Just remember, if they weren't already interested or if you didn't already come recommended, they wouldn't be calling you in the first place!

- Gary
This question and others are part of my package to meet my clients or potential clients needs.

It's been awhile since I had a consumer have buyer remorse.

Harris
Remembering the Biz part of the show.
Message: Posted by: The Great Zucchini (Mar 6, 2015 11:26AM)
Gary is absolutely right. I would spend more time, talking about the urgency of grabbing the spot, and how it's going to disappear by the end of the day.
Urgency about your availability is good .... very sound advice.

Also, something I leant from Eric Paul a long time ago: When telling the client about how much fun the birthday child is going to have, it's even more effective if you personalize it. In other words, find out the kid's name right off the bat, and use it in your description. For example: "Sophie will be the star of the show ... she'll float in mid-air ... the magic happens when Sophie's guests say her name!"
One of the first things you do is to find out what type of party it will be.

then make it personal.
what I mean by that is lets say its a birthday party
ask if its for their son or daughter and then get their name.

USE THEIR NAME during the description of your show. even mentioning what little billy will do or get during the show.
parents really appreciate this. it shows that you are paying attention and understanding that their kid is not just another pay check.

for your description as others have said don't single out tricks except maybe to high light some thing special.

i mention
so billy is turning 7 - that's an awesome age and the show is perfect for billy and his friends -oh and this is not just a kid show Moms and dads will love it too., maybe even more. I provide everything from a professional back drop, sound system and of course all the magic. there is hilarious comedy, tons of audience interaction and participation including a special birthday trick featuring your son billy! have the camera ready! I close the show with a spectacular illusion that I have performed on TV and because billy is having me at his party every one of his friends get a FREE Magic trick after the show!

now of course you need to tailor it to say what you do in your show but this should give you an idea of what to say. notice how I painted a picture of fun and excitement and what I provide both in entertainment and my set up. as well as used the kids name several times and pointed out the show is not just for the kids! that's an important one.
we are not baby sitters and some times that is what we walk into.

if its a different type of show get the persons name you are talking to and use their name once or twice in the convo. and again focus on the benefits of what your show will do for them
library - will draw lots of families to the library and I will talk about books and include them in the show and kids will check out lots of books that day.
school show- describe the benefits of your educational show as well as your credentials (if you do this kind of show) drop a few specific buzz words or nuggets of what you will teach.

and most importantly - be yourself. talk to them like a normal person

have fun

sam
Here's the way I put it (before I retired) on my website:

http://goodmagic.com/magician/4_down.htm

http://goodmagic.com/magician/4_up.htm
I am not even a semi-pro, and I am no copywriter. I find that the more you explain about your show, how and why it is so good, in this case on the website, the more amateurish it looks. It shows a lack of confidence, as if trying too hard. On the other end of the spectrum, where we all would like to be - the show sells itself by word of mouth. As I said, I am no marketing guru, but for me I think less would be more. Just being confident in oneself and the show, showing an air of experience, (re-) assuring the client that the show is going to be great - in a few words.

Håkan
I agree with Hawkan, but would add that a good demo video does a lot to sell your show, so does a good website with lots of pictures of happy kids, and testimonials (video and print). So for people who haven't seen you in person or haven't been refered to you, if that's all in place, then a lot of the time when they contact you they are already sold on you to a large extent. That doesn't mean they will book you or you shouldn't use other techniques mentioned above, but it really helps a lot. And yes, be confident, not arrogent, and ask them questions about their event, age of kids, etc so you can show interest in them and give them better info. I know the common wisdom about telling clients about urgency, but I won't tell them other people are contacting about a date if they are not, I just say so far I'm available, and act like I'm not concerned whether I get the gig, because I'm not. Works for me.
Message: Posted by: The Great Zucchini (Mar 10, 2015 04:13PM)
You guys are absolutely right. Using names in phone conversation is imperative.