(Close Window)
Topic: 3 D printers
Has anyone designed parts or whole props with this new tool?

I've been thinking about getting someone to draw out the plans for a moving 1/2 mask aka Ventriloquist Mask.
You can get vent half masks at a very reasonable price at theatricks, jut google Karl Evans studio.
As for printing one it should be possible but a printerthat can produce something that size would be expensive.
That would take several hours to print, let alone design.
You could probably carve one from wood, quicker.
Just sayin
You don't need to buy the printer of course, there are lots of places that will print for you. Personally I would look on somewhere like fiverr.com for someone who could do the design for you cheaply
I have many perks at my main job.
The schools have them accessible at reasonable rates

I will also check out the suggested link

Thanks.
Cincinnati Library has a maker area with 3D scanners and printers. Anyone with a Library card can schedule a time to use them.
I have made a few box like props from thin plywood then covered them with a nice quality wood laminate. Making strange shapes as I am apt to do takes some time and effort.
Designing and printing even just the components that make up the box and then laminating would be cool and once I have one designed, I can make as many as I need. I look forward to getting a 3d printer very much. Though the above posts about libraries sounds good.
I must say that all the items I have seen that were produced by a 3D printer have been really basic . Here in Spain there is a weekly magazine that comes with the parts you need to build your own 3D printer, not sure how good it is but if you add up all the issues you need to buy its expensive as hell.
The potential of 3D printing still needs to be explored more but this is quite cool

http://youtu.be/ognRzQqXEhs

It's my understanding that these come out of the printer in two or three sections, many moving parts in each section as printed
This could have some magic application

http://youtu.be/vXJhgvVal7Y
Hi there,
I have made small parts on my 3D printer.. But I agree that it would probably take a long time to print a vent mask.
I have made several types of vent masks ( cable mech, remote controlled, foam latex skin, silicone skin, etc).. And after giving it thought.. doing a fully printed one really wouldn't give you any Benefit at all.
Perhaps doing the smaller components needed in mechanizing the mask would be helpful.. but not the whole enchilada.
[quote]On Mar 5, 2015, george1953 wrote:
You can get vent half masks at a very reasonable price at theatricks, jut google Karl Evans studio.
As for printing one it should be possible but a printerthat can produce something that size would be expensive. [/quote]

the 3d printing era that actually is quite versatitle and very cheap. My son has one. He was able to make a delrin
wand safe to use on silver cups. Jake Jr. has plans for his site which I believe is to open soon.

Mad Jake