(Close Window)
Topic: Anyone use turbostick?
I quite like it, but I don't see it mentioned much.

Do people here use it? Or does the not-so-nice appearance of the prop stop it from being professionally usable?
It's definitely a worker! I've been using it on and off, depending on what type of gig I'm doing at the time. It appeals to the younger and older crowd. It's a crowd favorite for sure because it's so visual.

Jonathan
I use it, I love the thing. Don't overlook it.
Cool! I'm glad I'm not alone in not being put off by its appearance :)
Use it in all my walk-around gigs. Gets a great reaction.
Message: Posted by: themagiciansapprentice (Mar 7, 2015 02:22PM)
I use a more normal paddle
[quote]On Mar 7, 2015, themagiciansapprentice wrote:
I use a more normal paddle [/quote]

What's a "more normal paddle"? Also is their a difference between a paddle and a" more normal paddle"? And.... Where can I aquire this "more normal paddle"?

Jonathan
I always use a borrowed paddle.
I use it all the time.
Looking like it's well thought of. Good to know :)
It's A great effect, a real worker. Although it's far better for mix and mingle strolling magic for smaller groups. This way the whole group sees the effect where as if you are working tables that is not always the case. Great for the right type of gig. Love this effect
Here's an idea for the beginning phase of turbo stick:

start with three X's on one side and leave the other side blank. show the stick as being blank on both sides. draw three X's on the blank side. then show how there are now 3 X's on the other side. (the stick is examinable at this point too)

maybe you can say that the stick is made out of "white glass" so that whatever you write on one side, shows up on the other side also.
I think a lot of effects get used but not talked about or videoed as much. It is not really a flashy "oh wow" kind of thing.... It can be great, it just doesn't get talked about as much.

I really enjoy the paddles and I think the audience does too.
[quote]On Mar 7, 2015, Jmolomagic wrote:

What's a "more normal paddle"? Also is their a difference between a paddle and a" more normal paddle"? And.... [b]Where can I [i]aquire[/i] this "more normal paddle"[/b]?

Jonathan [/quote]

You can acquire this paddle at the same place you get the letter *c*...so you don't make spelling errors, while trying to be amusing ridiculing others!
[quote]On Mar 7, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:

What's a "more normal paddle"? Also is their a difference between a paddle and a" more normal paddle"? And.... [b]Where can I [i]aquire[/i] this "more normal paddle"[/b]?

Jonathan [/quote]

You can acquire this paddle at the same place you get the letter *c*...so you don't make spelling errors, while trying to be amusing ridiculing others! [/quote]

Ah! Good to know. Thanks buddy. :) So you're one of those "serious" magicians that can't take a joke. I'll make sure I spell check for you next time buttercup. ;)

Ah! Good to know. Thanks buddy. :) So you're one of those [b]"serious"[/b] magicians that can't take a joke. I'll make sure I spell check for you next time buttercup. ;) [/quote]

Also, one shouldn't use quotation marks unless there is a quote involved. There are other, proper, ways to place the emphasis on the word or phrase one wants noticed.
Ty again "smarty" pants "buttercup". ;)
[b]Ty[/b] again "smarty" pants "buttercup". ;) [/quote]

What would you like me to "Ty again"?
[quote]On Mar 7, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
[b]Ty[/b] again "smarty" pants "buttercup". ;) [/quote]

What would you like me to "Ty again"? [/quote]

You know...don't pretend you don't "know".... ;)
Dudes ...
Sorry.... :(
Sort of back to the topic what paddle do people enjoy using the most, I used to perform the amazing jumping arrow as I didn't like the number force but think it would probably be better to be able to draw/write whatever you wanton to the paddle so that you could repeat the effect with the original spectator being present and still get away from the number force.
I think Turbostick is great. Far more versatile than my old hot-rods. I use the routine with red dots so I can pull off the last dot as a sponge-ball - even adults jaws drop, then I go into a sponge ball routine (Sanders shows this on the DVD). Two other good parts of the routine are when you bring back the dots you erased and when you flick the dot from one end to the other. This is part of both my parlour and strolling sets.

Richard
I've been using this since it first came out. It's a real worker for kids and adults.
Do not make the mistake of dismissing or underestimating the strength of this final answer to paddle effects!!! Anything you or the spectator draws becomes animated!!! Extremely visual, perfect for strolling, resets instantly, involves spectators and can be performed completely surrounded!!! If you aren't performing this, you have no idea what you are missing!!! Thank you so much again Leo Smetsers!!!
[quote]On Mar 8, 2015, Terrible Wizard wrote:
Dudes ... [/quote]

LOL.
I love this trick. Just started doing it, but I already love it.

Has anyone done a routine using two turbo sticks? It would probably look pretty cool if you made the X jump from one stick to the other.
Use it at all my strolling shows.
What makes this different then the chalk paddle? besides the material.
It is contemporary. Whiteboards and dry-erase markers relaced blackboards and chalk in schools and colleges a couple of decades ago.

Fichard
I created the following tool to help me design and practice routines with the Turbo Stick.
It's like writing music. The grid is easily created in Excel.

The 3 boxes on the left show me what's face up on the paddle.
The 3 boxed on the right show what's on the underside of the paddle.
It's also my viewpoint of the paddle.

It's not shown in this pic, but I usually have notes on what needs to be done to get from one stage of the routine to the next.
For example, to get from the first stage to the second stage, I need to erase the "x" that is farthest away from me.
Phase two to Phase three - the "x" returns. And now I know what I have to work with in the planning stages. I know I have 2 X's on the underside of the paddle, the one that's missing is furthest from me.

Hope some of you can use this.
I've been using it a lot. It made it into my strolling magic set. Few things make it that far.

I do need a replacement stick. Mine is starting to get dingy looking. Anyone know where I can get just a stick?

Thanks
ACE
I contacted Richard Sanders through his website and was able to buy individual sticks at a good price.
Patrick
Thanks Patrick, I wrote him today.

I performed my Turbo Stick today at Family Day on the Riverboat Natchez here in New Orleans.

Here is how I end it. Remember the ending where he takes the X off and tosses it back on? After I do it once, I let a spectator do it. I take the X off in my closed fist, I put it into the spectators closed fist, have them put their fist palm down, and toss it back on! The kids line up to do it! You have to actually do it to see all the different reactions. They are Great!

Don't underestimate this move. At an adult gig the other night, I had grown women doing it and they were squealing!

ACE :dance:
I used it last night at an all night grad party. Definitely a worker and a must-have item for close-up performers.
I used it today at a Mad Hatter party, kids and adults. That, sponge balls, and jumbo rising cards were all I did. Mostly Turbo Stick. The kids would come up and want to throw the X back on again and again! All my other paddles and CC Knives are now for sale. Turbo Stick is the only one I will ever use again. Wait, non of the others ever made it into my show!

ACE
Mostly on your recommendation Ace, I just purchased this effect. I am wondering how I did not get this when it came out. Turbo Stick is just as awesome as you said it was.

My only complaint is that the handle of the stick is slick like the rest of it. I wish Richard had roughed the handle up a little bit or better yet, had it knurled. Other than that, Turbo Stick is pure gold.

[quote]On Jun 14, 2015, Acecardician wrote:
I used it today at a Mad Hatter party, kids and adults. That, sponge balls, and jumbo rising cards were all I did. Mostly Turbo Stick. The kids would come up and want to throw the X back on again and again! All my other paddles and CC Knives are now for sale. Turbo Stick is the only one I will ever use again. Wait, non of the others ever made it into my show!

ACE [/quote]
Kaliix: Glad you love it! Just groove or rough the the stick yourself to your liking... I like to use my cement driveway to rough things... :dance:

But my Stick worked perfectly for me out of the box. But then, I have been doing the paddle move since I was 8. I can do the paddle move with a boat paddle! :rotf:

Seriously, I've tried almost every paddle trick in my show. This was the first one that got verbal reactions. And that is what I am looking for. People can also SEE it when you are working in low light.
Absolutely! This is why I'm still trying to figure out the best way make this bigger! It gets amazing reactions. I use this in my stand up show when the audience isn't too large. End with the bday child's name :) LOVE THIS!!
Just got another Turbo Stick from Magic Warehouse.
It's smaller with a rounder top.
It came in a flat fold over paper DVD case.
The other came in a plastic DVD case.

It this legit? Is this the "new" model? When did this change?
When I met Leo Smesters at Blackpool he was selling these rounded sticks I think that is how they make them now. A little slicker looking I think but who knows
When I met Leo Smesters at Blackpool he was selling these rounded sticks I think that is how they make them now. A little slicker looking I think but who knows
I got an email from Richard Sanders. This is the newer model. He said everyone preferred them.

I used it yesterday for a three hour strolling gig. It works good. It's just smaller.
Has anyone come up with a routine using 2 turbo sticks?

I remember when I was a kid, I got these two little black paddles with red gems on them... you could make the gems jump from one stick to the other.
I ordered a couple of replacement turbo sticks on June 15th and I am still waiting for them... :mad:

If I ever get them I will practice a multi turbo stick routine and let you know. So far the single turbo stick routine is about perfect, and another one might just muddle the effect. I said MIGHT, but it may be GREAT! And because you brought it up, I will try it, (If I ever get my replacements.)
I've tried all the multi paddle tricks when I was younger. This should be fun. Thanks for the idea AC. Thinking out loud, I might be able to let 2 kids at a time throw the X back on, I'll have to have the sticks in my hands to see if it will work for me...

ACE :dance:
[quote]On Jul 11, 2015, Acecardician wrote:
I ordered a couple of replacement turbo sticks on June 15th and I am still waiting for them... :mad:

If I ever get them I will practice a multi turbo stick routine and let you know. So far the single turbo stick routine is about perfect, and another one might just muddle the effect. I said MIGHT, but it may be GREAT! And because you brought it up, I will try it, (If I ever get my replacements.)
I've tried all the multi paddle tricks when I was younger. This should be fun. Thanks for the idea AC. Thinking out loud, I might be able to let 2 kids at a time throw the X back on, I'll have to have the sticks in my hands to see if it will work for me...

ACE :dance: [/quote]

I was looking for one recently.... where did you order them so I can stay away from that source?
The turbo stick is one of the best "packs small, plays big" props, IMHO.

It is very powerful when performed well.
Just following up. After the delay Richard himself refunded me in full and sent me 3 new Turbo Sticks free, and a very cool carry case, and another free DVD. Definitely a "Gentleman and a Scholar". I will support him 100%. I love the new design of the sticks with a rounded end.

Tommy, go ahead and order from him with confidence. I think there was a just a major glitch with my order. Everyone I have talked to has been very happy and now I am.

Definitely see if you can get that carry case, it also holds the marker.

It is refreshing to be treated great!

Back to the topic, I tried a 2 stick routine in practice, and just as I thought, in my hands it muddles the effect. Someone better than me might work out a routine for two sticks, but for now the basic routine is wonderful.

ACE, a very happy camper :dance:
I had an unexpected issue the other night. The lighting was such that the paddle became transparent. When attempting to show both sides blank, the X's on the other side could be seen through the paddle. Even with this issue, however, the Turbo Stick still had people shaking their heads in slack jawed amazement.
Thanks for all your comments on this thread, you guys helped me get over my hesitation to finally spring for this prop.

EVILDAN- thanks for sharing your chart, I haven't received Turbo Stick yet, but I can see how this might help.

Ace- thanks for your comments about a case. I contacted Richard Sanders and he has these available if you order from him. Do you use a fat marker like the one in the ad video or will a skinny one fit well in the case?

Has anyone considered using a tan or brown marker for transitioning into sponge bunnies? Just a thought. I plan on getting red, and black for when I don't transition to sponge balls.

Thanks again all!
Here is my presentation of the TurboStick:

https://youtu.be/N4oYeLNIXqc

Enjoy!

Tommy
You should all look into Paul Green's Pygmy Paddle routine. It is perfect for the Turbo Stick. The only drawback is at the end of Paul's Routine you give the small plastic paddle away. I used this a TON when I was table hopping at 3 restaurants then I couldn't find paddles anymore. Turbo Stick is a great alternative!
Is anyone just selling the Turbo Stick alone...without the DVD? They tend to scratch pretty easily and I'm looking to get a few spares.
It's a shame they scratch. Sure,y someone must sell them as refills?
Try Propdog
I emailed Richard Sanders on new paddles but he wanted 30.00 for two.
Didn't find anything on Propdog and I emailed Richard Sanders....again.
This one is going on my must-have list! :heavymetal: :heavymetal: :heavymetal:
[quote]On Nov 4, 2015, EVILDAN wrote:
Didn't find anything on Propdog and I emailed Richard Sanders....again. [/quote]

http://www.propdog.co.uk/accessories/plastic-paddle
Thanks.
Anybody else get a Turbo Stick that isn't a rectangle, but a rounded end- kind of like a real paddle? That's how mine came.
That's the new style. I actually like them.
I just got mine from Richard and it was the rectangular one.
Same here
How did you contact Richard. I've tried a couple times thru his web site and haven't got a response yet.
It took a couple of times to get through to him; his service was excellent though and I will gladly deal with him again. It may be that he's involved with the Penguin magic live expo that is currently touring and he's just busy.

I would say try again though, it's worth it just to deal with Richard.

T-
Thanks for the advice of being persistent. Contact achieved.
Nice! :)
I use this trick everytime in my gigs. In the past I had the rectangular shaped one, today I'm using the rounded one. Both are good in my opinion. I always get very good reactions on this trick.
Looks like a good paddle to do the [b]I'll Start Again[/b] routine.

Anyone try this routine with this paddle? Have you run into any problems with drawing line across the paddle face with a marker, as opposed to chalk, as in the original routine on black wood stick?
I think you would have no problem. The design of the paddle is such that even if you accidentally marked the side with some marker you just run your finger down the side and it's gone. With the movement the lines don't even need to be perfect.
Incase anyone wants to see it performed live, heres a vid of craig petty using turbo stick at a wedding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZRkAVmZEUM
[quote]On Mar 7, 2015, Tukaram wrote: It is not really a flashy "oh wow" kind of thing.... [/quote]

Then why do it?
I always have my turbostick in my jacket pocket. From kids to adults - it's always good :)
Just in time for a holiday gig this week - The Magic Candy Cane.
Great idea!
The magic peppermint stick with red stripes quickly changed to something else.
Red marker doesn't show well, at night, under the glow of some street lamps.
I switched to black marker.
Maybe try green. That's still festive.
Or little Snowmen?
I have the rounded one. Propdog are doing them in all sorts of colours I believe. I love this, it's my favourite. Just a hobby amateur BTW. I quite like the idea of a pair of them. Might pay a visit to Mr Bonsal....
I bought some extras directly from Richard Sanders. Mostly square and one rounded since they are readily available anyway.
Just got mine on Christmas Day... really like it and I've never been much of a "paddle trick" person. Fun to do, looks great and I love a little instant gratification once in a while since it's so easy to do.
I love this when people are standing around or there is a group of children. There eyes really pop, especially if they can throw the X on. Great stuff!
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Dec 11, 2018 09:47AM)
This is a great trick. I get a lot of mileage out of performing it. I wonder how many other people get asked if it's a pregnancy test
I have not been asked that yet! Interesting, you could use +/- instead of Xs. Oh boy...
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Dec 14, 2018 04:51PM)
I like it