(Close Window)
Topic: "It's NOT worth paying more for..."
Someone mentioned pens in the companion thread -- that a good pen is worth paying more for. I wouldn't dare denigrate that person's sensibilities, but for me pens are almost all indistinguishable. I'd never pay more for a "good" pen.

I don't know what "good" water is. Nothing I've seen has a better value proposition than the combination of a kitchen sink and a water filter. (Throw in a soda stream if you like bubbles.)

I would almost never pay for first class seats on a plane, at least using my own money. The single exception was on my honeymoon, flying from Boston to Barcelona first class. That was... awesome.

I probably wouldn't pay more for a luxury car, at least a typical luxury car. (I have to admit, I'm quite envious of the giant touchscreen in a Tesla. But it's tough to justify paying for it.)

Although I *would* pay more for a good kitchen knife, I almost never would pay more for a knife set.
On pens: ballpoint pens are generally similar, but not fountain pens. Expensive pencils are definitely different than cheap pencils, but if one doesn't care about the darker, gliding lines they produce, the it doesn't matter.

Water is water. Penn and Teller have a funny episode of Bullstuff about it.

I always buy the cheapest tickets I can find for planes, but if somebody else paid for it (or if I were wealthy) I would see it differently.

I don't own a car.

All my knives are very high quality.

Signature edition music instruments are NOT worth paying for. That Debbie Harry signature 000-32 1/2 Martin costing $4,999 doesn't sound so much better than a standard model.

And here is a heresy: American-made products are NOT worth the extra money except in rare instances.
Over the counter pain relievers.

The law requires that, no matter the manufacturer, they all must contain the same ingredients.
Turkey. I once paid a stupid amount of money for a free-ranging organic turkey. It tasted just like turkey.
Dogs, sometimes. The expensive ones are usually overbred, but Scotties are still worth it ;)
It's NOT worth paying more for another card if the odds don't give you value.
[quote]On Mar 9, 2015, MobilityBundle wrote:
Someone mentioned pens in the companion thread -- that a good pen is worth paying more for. I wouldn't dare denigrate that person's sensibilities, but for me pens are almost all indistinguishable. I'd never pay more for a "good" pen.
[/quote]

When I worked at Art-Mold (excuse me for a second... :cry: OK, I'm good now) we used to imprint on high quality pens. One day, we got a letter from a high schooler who said he was doing a study on pens and their different qualities. He received pens from different sources to compare and could he have some of ours? We sent him a sample of our pens and he later sent us the paper he'd done for his high school project. He talked about comfort holding, ease of writing and clarity of ink among other things. Our pens came up pretty high on the list. I think he got a "B."
Safety Razors. I find a regular cheap bag of Bics are as good as it gets.
Aluminum foil. The dollar store stuff is just as good as Reynolds.

Gift bags and related. The dollar store stuff is just as good as Hallmark.

And finally, the love of a good woman (as Franklin said, all cats are gray in the dark).
[quote]On Mar 10, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
Aluminum foil. The dollar store stuff is just as good as Reynolds.

Gift bags and related. The dollar store stuff is just as good as Hallmark.

And finally, the love of a good woman (as Franklin said, all cats are gray in the dark). [/quote]

Met her at the Dollar Store, did ya?
Caskets.
[quote]On Mar 11, 2015, acesover wrote:
Caskets. [/quote]

Now THAT is a smart answer!
[quote]On Mar 11, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
[quote]On Mar 11, 2015, acesover wrote:
Caskets. [/quote]

Now THAT is a smart answer! [/quote]

Especially steel if you are going for cremation
Scissors. Someone says, "NO!! Not the [i]good[/i] scissors!" Eh? What are "good" scissors, and why do we have "bad" ones? Do bad scissors not cut? If true, what good are they?

One thing I can say: It's not worth paying more for anything. Get it cheap as you can!

Doug
[quote]On Mar 11, 2015, Dougini wrote:

One thing I can say: It's not worth paying more for anything. Get it cheap as you can!

Doug [/quote]

My ex-wife would have disagreed with you. Bargain hunting was not in her nature. She always wanted to pay NEXT year's prices!
Scissors. Someone says, "NO!! Not the [i]good[/i] scissors!" Eh? What are "good" scissors, and why do we have "bad" ones? Do bad scissors not cut? If true, what good are they?

Doug [/quote]

I like the pair that comes apart, as sometimes you only need one sciss!
Water

Doug [/quote]

I got a pair of Wal-Mart special scissors for .88, they actually bent outwards when I tried to cut rope with them. I got a pair at a local drug store because I'd left my good scissors at home and THEY cost $7.00. Later I found a pair that felt exactly the same at the $1.00 store next to my Wal-mart and they worked just as well as the $7.00 ones. I still use them. I WOULD like to go to some place that sells scissors because I'd like to get a really BIG pair of scissors, we had some at Westinghouse and I used one once for a sight gag. I pulled out the rope and asked if anyone in the audience had a pair of scissors I could borrow. Then "remembered" that I kept a tiny pair of scissors the do my cuticles with, then I'd pull out this 14" monster of a pair of scissors.
[quote]On Mar 11, 2015, arthur stead wrote:

Doug [/quote]

My ex-wife would have disagreed with you. Bargain hunting was not in her nature. She always wanted to pay NEXT year's prices! [/quote]I don't know. I bought some cheap condoms once. Big mistake!
Too big?
Scissors.[/quote]

I think a good seamstress would disagree. If you're just clipping your press releases from the newspaper, maybe so. But a good quality scissors holds it's edge & holds the blades in alignment reliably. I have had new scissors that with which I had a hard time easily and cleanly cutting a piece of rope.

When I was teaching I used to buy about a dozen "cheap" scissors at the start of each school year. These were not the kid's scissors, but what the suppliers referred to as "economy" scissors. They simply did not keep a sharp edge, could not make both small snips and large cuts accurately, and would stray from the cutting line. They were perfectly acceptable for the day-to-day classroom use for 12 year olds, but were crappy if I wanted precision cuts, sharps edges, cutting a variety of fabrics, etc.

Also, I've been told that cutting paper is really hard on a scissors' edge and a fabric shears should be used onoy for fabrics.
[quote]On Apr 26, 2015, Magicray69 wrote:
I don't know. I bought some cheap condoms once. Big mistake! [/quote]

Wow! A new breakthrough? :)

Doug
[quote]On Apr 26, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
Scissors.[/quote]

I think a good seamstress would disagree. If you're just clipping your press releases from the newspaper, maybe so. But a good quality scissors holds it's edge & holds the blades in alignment reliably. I have had new scissors that with which I had a hard time easily and cleanly cutting a piece of rope.[/quote]

Good point. What is considered "good"? Too bad scissors are not known by brand name. And, what price do you pay for a "pro" pair of scissors? $10? $20?

Doug
Rope man Danny sells a great pair of rope scissors for about $20. If you're going to shop for scissors for cutting rope, you really need to take a rope sample with you to check them out under fire. Many scissors, no matter how good they look, just won't do rope easily.

The cheapest decent rope scissors are EMT scissors, those kind that have small blades set at an angle from the handles. More leverage, rounded tips, nobody gets poked when a kid cuts the rope or string. Another advantage: you can chuck them in a pocket without them poking holes in your clothes or body. They're cheap and sturdy and even the $5 ones work great. They just look goofy.
Extended Warranties. Generally.
True. The weirdest is for DVDs or video games. Although if I were to buy something like that for my kid, I would consider it because he keeps having problems; "The third disk on my Duck Tails set doesn't work." "You must have scratched it." "No I didn't!" "It doesn't stop working by itself, you have to have done [i]something[/i] to it."
The only time I've seen where it was any good was when my daughter bought a lap top. She's hard on her computers and ended up spilling something on it so it was a good investment for her, but otherwise I've never seen an instance where they would have been worthwhile for me. Or most people.
[quote]On Apr 26, 2015, Dougini wrote:
[quote]On Apr 26, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
Scissors.[/quote]

I think a good seamstress would disagree. If you're just clipping your press releases from the newspaper, maybe so. But a good quality scissors holds it's edge & holds the blades in alignment reliably. I have had new scissors that with which I had a hard time easily and cleanly cutting a piece of rope.[/quote]

Good point. What is considered "good"? Too bad scissors are not known by brand name. And, what price do you pay for a "pro" pair of scissors? $10? $20?

Doug [/quote]
Hair Stylists pay well over a hundred dollars for scissors worthy of their talents. They are tools of their trade and have to be top notch.
Ask a beautician or barber what they pay for a pair of scissors. I will only say...sticker shock.
^^^Whoops...magicfish beat me to it. ^^^
There's one thing that, as a performer, I think IS worth paying more for in the long run- original props and materials from the creator and author (or authorized dealers) rather than cheap knock-offs by pirates, regardless of the quality of the knock-off.
[quote]On Mar 11, 2015, ed rhodes wrote:

Doug [/quote]

I got a pair of Wal-Mart special scissors for .88, they actually bent outwards when I tried to cut rope with them. I got a pair at a local drug store because I'd left my good scissors at home and THEY cost $7.00. Later I found a pair that felt exactly the same at the $1.00 store next to my Wal-mart and they worked just as well as the $7.00 ones. I still use them. I WOULD like to go to some place that sells scissors because I'd like to get a really BIG pair of scissors, we had some at Westinghouse and I used one once for a sight gag. I pulled out the rope and asked if anyone in the audience had a pair of scissors I could borrow. Then "remembered" that I kept a tiny pair of scissors the do my cuticles with, then I'd pull out this 14" monster of a pair of scissors. [/quote]

EMT shears are my favorite for rope and other heavy cutting and they're cheap
[quote]On Mar 10, 2015, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
Safety Razors. I find a regular cheap bag of Bics are as good as it gets. [/quote]

Whereas I agree with you that it's not worth paying $10 or more for razors, I once bought a bag of razors from the dollar shop. They were horrible. They felt like they were on their fifth or sixth shave right out of the bag. I went back to a bag of Wilkenson's which was actually cheaper than the Bics, but still more than a dollar.