(Close Window)
Topic: My Evolution as a Busker
Inspired by another Thread of magician Shaun Sharpton I decide writing my progress as a busker. Why? Because it will force me to go outside more wich is good,can help someone who wants start doing it too and maybe I can get some advices from more experienced magicians. Besides that it's a good way to register my evolution and later see how I progress or not.

Before continue let me apologize for my poor English.

A little background on who I'm and where what I've done in magic. I've 36 years old , I live in Portugal, I'm Portuguese and I've been studying magic for 20 years. I start on general magic, basically doing only stage shows for adults and kids. Then some years later when I discover that I can entertain an audience with a pack of cards or a few coins only, I put all that stuff aside , start studying close up magic and spent the last years doing only that and kids shows. I did it as a professional 1 year and the other 19 as an amateur. In the last years it becomes hard for me to perform because I work in shifts. I still studying, practicing but it's not easy to perform. So I decide that doing magic on streets is a good solution, because I can do it when I have free time. There isn't an agreement, a contract, it's just go outside and entertain. I read as much as I can about it, took notes, watch other performers and went outside, first day went like this:

-First Day on the Pitch

I choose a park with good foot traffic, couples walking with kids and grandparents. I went like this:

[IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/heldermagico/Facebook/Busking/893632_10151679580582985_1037001239_o.jpg[/IMG]

What I did was use this oversize hat to atract there eyes and the whristle to atract there ears, basically the idea was use this to help them stop and it work apparently. In few minutes I was with about 10 persons in front of me. At this point I was already performing FIBER OPTICS using the whristle when the magic effects happened. Works well.

Then I did AMBITIOUS CARD routine, changed a card in the hands of a kid and did the torn newspaper (something I saw Sergio Barros using to help audience make noise) , the kid hold the pieces and later I did paper ball over the head with it wich not work well because the kid saw it. :)

Then I did make them clapping and cheer before the cups to attract more people, here I'm doing that:

[IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/heldermagico/Facebook/Busking/891946_10151681199602985_266232991_o.jpg[/IMG][/URL]
I start doing Cups and Balls routine, did some mistakes, they saw one more ball and one or two loads, but not too bad.

[IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/heldermagico/Facebook/Busking/906859_10151681191942985_36795308_o.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/heldermagico/Facebook/Busking/902988_10151681201347985_700421003_o.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/heldermagico/Facebook/Busking/906309_10151681206447985_190515104_o.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/heldermagico/Facebook/Busking/1486162_10152220891637985_1481906542_o.jpg[/IMG]

The most important part, the smiles on there faces:

[IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/heldermagico/Facebook/Busking/893624_10151681202927985_36129430_o.jpg[/IMG]

I have to go now, tomorow I will post more about this first day, especially the mistakes I think I did, and how much went into the hat.

Hope you enjoy follow my adventure,

Helder
Small World! A friend of mine at work is Portuguese. His Parents were from Portugal.
Message: Posted by: Szymon Krzysztoszek (Mar 15, 2015 06:45PM)
Maybe that is rude question, but did you make any hats today? :) I'm looking forward to see more from you!

Cheers!
Thanks, I will be following your exploits. :)

I am planning on hitting the street for the first time within a month myself, so very interested in your experiences.
[quote]On Mar 15, 2015, Szymon Krzysztoszek wrote:
Maybe that is rude question, but did you make any hats today? :) I'm looking forward to see more from you!

Cheers! [/quote]

Nothing rude. I did a 20 minute show and they put 10 euros in the hat wich is not bad at all if we take in consideration that I did a lot of errors.

Lessons I learn:

20 minute show in this situation was too much, so I need to do smaller shows first and evaluate if I have to go faster to the end or not. Cut or add effects to draw the crowd.

The first routine, FIBER OPTICS it's not good at this point, like I did. Better something smaller, that way they have to come close to the table and I do my edge. With Fiber Optics the magic happens at chest level, they can see it farway, not good as this give them the opportunity to leave easily.

I was nervous and that shows on the hat too, obviously. But doing the show with frequency will help on this easily, second time was much more relaxed.Instead of doing only a show I need to stay on the pitch more time, hours, something to keep in mind too.

Another important thing I will start doing is asking there names more, connecting with them, helps a lot on the hats, I think.

I also I'm making some changes on the table, will post pictures of it soon.

And that's it for first day,

Helder
Message: Posted by: Szymon Krzysztoszek (Mar 16, 2015 10:47AM)
Thanks for your answers! :)

I get inspirated and I will try to start my street show soon. I'm thinking about finale, because I want to use my variation about with ropes and fiber optics's ideas as finale, but I'm not sure if this is good enought. Beside that I want use TT to gather crowd (in Poland this is not known effect for laymans), then ACR, Sergio idea with newspaper (that's brilliant!) and then finale.

Cheers and good luck!
Helder, why do you think they caught your load and the ball flash? These are things I worry about. How did you handle this?
[quote]On Mar 17, 2015, migwar wrote:
Helder, why do you think they caught your load and the ball flash? These are things I worry about. How did you handle this? [/quote]

I flash because I was nervous and also need to practice more. I just keep moving forward as if nothing happen.
These things happen, don't worry about it. The diference is if we practice more and are confident performing the number of times they happen is less, but will happen too. Practice the solutions for errors, for example what will you do when they saw the 4th ball? I just did a false transfer and put it on pouch. Make a magic effect of it. The ball just appear from nowhere. That's what I did and what's goes inside my head.

Hope that helps,

Helder
Second Day on the Pitch:

I decide to try another pitch and I went to the center of Lisbon, right on the heart of the city,here:

[IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/heldermagico/pitch%20lisbon%202.jpg[/IMG]

The arrows indicate the foot traffic and the yellow circle where I was. This is probably the best street on my country for street performing. There are lots of shops and restaurants and tourists coming up and down all day, taking photos, having fun and with money. But here we need a permisson wich at the time I went there, one year ago more or less it was a lot of money and even if we pay what they want, there wasn't garanties that they would give that permission. Today things look better, at least they elimated a tax of about 400 euros. I'm trying to get that permission now.
There are stories of cops taking all the props from performers without the permisson and fines. With a set of professional cups and table I could't take that risk but at the same time I was curious. So, what I did? Thanks for asking.

I went there with only a deck of cards and 3 pieces of rope. If they take my props, that's all they get. And if they said '' you can't be there without permisson!!!'' and would answer '' oh sorry, I didn't know''.
This is a big street and very busy, I arrive there feeling like I was David and the street Golias. ''Jesus, I will eaten alive!'' But I relax, I took a deep breath and started performing FIBER OPTICS. Just doing the routine in the middle of the street and doing some noise when the magic effects happen with the whristle.At some point I started giving the end of a rope for them to hold, ask names, a little of individual interaction and did AMBITIOUS CARD routine. I stay there about 20 minutes and got about 6 euros on the hat.

Helder
Well Done Helder you done it the more show you do the better it will get Bring them a little closer
[quote]On Mar 17, 2015, mike bonfield wrote:
Well Done Helder you done it the more show you do the better it will get Bring them a little closer [/quote]

Thanks
Keep these updates coming. Really enjoying them...
Great Job helder

Keep It Up and keep the pictures coming

kOnO
The new table, top view:

[IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/heldermagico/FullSizeRender.jpg[/IMG]

And bottom view(will use this for a cups and balls intro):

[IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/heldermagico/FullSizeRender_1.jpg[/IMG]

Magic Sign, nothing fancy but I like it(probably for that reason):

[IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/heldermagico/FullSizeRender_2.jpg[/IMG]

How it looks?

Helder
Table top looks great. You build it yourself?
[quote]On Mar 18, 2015, Magic_Niels wrote:
Table top looks great. You build it yourself? [/quote]

Yes, finish it today. Thanks

Helder
Message: Posted by: Szymon Krzysztoszek (Mar 18, 2015 10:22AM)
Magic sign is great, that table looks nice, I like that idea with story about cups and balls :D
I love that table bottom.
Thanks Helder, big respect for anyone giving it a go
Don't draw too many conclusions from your first three months. Then reevaluate.

Dartagnan
Message: Posted by: The Great Zoobini (Mar 18, 2015 11:18PM)
I busked around Lisbon years ago including that main shopping street you posted above. There's a big archway at the end where acrobats had set up a huge show complete with a sound system. Unfortunately, one of the acrobats hanging in the giant archway got stuck when the trapeze went sideways and the whole thing had to be called off. There's a human statue named [url=http://www.staticman.org/]Staticman[/url] who performs there, too. Perhaps you've met.
[quote]On Mar 19, 2015, The Great Zoobini wrote:
I busked around Lisbon years ago including that main shopping street you posted above. There's a big archway at the end where acrobats had set up a huge show complete with a sound system. Unfortunately, one of the acrobats hanging in the giant archway got stuck when the trapeze went sideways and the whole thing had to be called off. There's a human statue named [url=http://www.staticman.org/]Staticman[/url] who performs there, too. Perhaps you've met. [/quote]

Nice, how was your experience in terms of crowd, hat, cops, those things?

Yeah, I know Staticman, nice guy.

Helder
To be honest I think you cracked the hardest part - getting the people to stop. Personally I am considering land mines!
For those wondering if I'm alive , yes, I still breathe, I'm a little busy with my job but will come back very soon with news.

Keep an eye here, or both. :)

Helder
Olä. Bom dia Helder!
I wish you well on your way,.
smiles, warmth,...some stories to tell,..
share with us.

I've no real advise to give you,
you seem to know pretty much what you're up to(!).,
Read thru these old Posts,..
it's an encyclopedia.

As I saw the photo you enclosed, of Lisboa,..
my mind wandered a bit,..
I've never been there.
[I understand, from reliable sources, the best coffee,..
and the most beautiful women in the world(!),
are to be found there!]
{{Since reporting this to my wife,
HER coffee has really improved,..hmm.}}
I wanted to share a prose from Fernando Pessoa, with you.
I pulled out "The Book of Disquiet".
Flipped to the passage,...
and discovered,..
he wrote it,..
31st of April,.. 1930.
85 years ago,... today,
in Lissabon.

"He sang with a velvet soft voice, a song from a far land. The musik allowed unfamiliar words appear trusting. It worked like Fado on the soul, had but no similarity with it.
With his disguised words and his human melody, the song spoke things out,
that the souls of all felt,...but no one knew. He sang in an art of 'captured sleep'.
His eyes went over, with, through the listeners..in a small street-esktase.
The gathered folk heard without the normal critique. The song spoke us all on; and his words
told us oriental secrets of some forgotten race. The city noise was no longer, when we listened.
Traffic rattled so close, that it brushed one of my open jackets.
But I felt the song, and heard nothing. There was a gravity(suction) in the singing of this stranger,
from what we dream of,... or shatters us.
It was an experience on the street,...
and we all noticed,.. the policeman slowly curved the corner.
With the same slowness came near. He stayed a moment long behind the young man,
as though,...rained on.
In this moment held the singer in......
No one spoke a word.
Then, the policeman grabbed him."*

welcome to the Streets,
to the Café,
Gallagher

*{from Portoguesse to German=Bernardo Soares.
German to English=,... sorry: )}.
[quote]On Mar 31, 2015, gallagher wrote:
Olä. Bom dia Helder!
I wish you well on your way,.
smiles, warmth,...some stories to tell,..
share with us.

I've no real advise to give you,
you seem to know pretty much what you're up to(!).,
Read thru these old Posts,..
it's an encyclopedia.

As I saw the photo you enclosed, of Lisboa,..
my mind wandered a bit,..
I've never been there.
[I understand, from reliable sources, the best coffee,..
and the most beautiful women in the world(!),
are to be found there!]
{{Since reporting this to my wife,
HER coffee has really improved,..hmm.}}
I wanted to share a prose from Fernando Pessoa, with you.
I pulled out "The Book of Disquiet".
Flipped to the passage,...
and discovered,..
he wrote it,..
31st of April,.. 1930.
85 years ago,... today,
in Lissabon.

"He sang with a velvet soft voice, a song from a far land. The musik allowed unfamiliar words appear trusting. It worked like Fado on the soul, had but no similarity with it.
With his disguised words and his human melody, the song spoke things out,
that the souls of all felt,...but no one knew. He sang in an art of 'captured sleep'.
His eyes went over, with, through the listeners..in a small street-esktase.
The gathered folk heard without the normal critique. The song spoke us all on; and his words
told us oriental secrets of some forgotten race. The city noise was no longer, when we listened.
Traffic rattled so close, that it brushed one of my open jackets.
But I felt the song, and heard nothing. There was a gravity(suction) in the singing of this stranger,
from what we dream of,... or shatters us.
It was an experience on the street,...
and we all noticed,.. the policeman slowly curved the corner.
With the same slowness came near. He stayed a moment long behind the young man,
as though,...rained on.
In this moment held the singer in......
No one spoke a word.
Then, the policeman grabbed him."*

welcome to the Streets,
to the Café,
Gallagher

*{from Portoguesse to German=Bernardo Soares.
German to English=,... sorry: )}. [/quote]

Mr Gallagher, thanks for your comments and poem. Fernando Pessoa was a genius.
The coffee joke it's interesting. Looks like can be applied to other things. :) :) :)

PS: will try to come out to the same pitch I went on first day next Sunday. The weather looks good and I have that day off. :)

Helder
G'day Helder

I am enjoying the story about your busking journey - all the best for the weekend mate.

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
Here's a little report of my day 3 on the pitch.

[IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/heldermagico/image.jpg1.jpg[/IMG]

I arrive there with this in mind '' I don't care if they don't stop, I will practice.'' and I start putting the table and props in place, before I finish I was with 5 or 6 people in front of me and kids. The hat, the table and sign helps a lot stopping them. But something come to my mind to stop the first group, I was with a camera in my bag, if they don't stop, a good solution could be aproaching a group of 2/3 people with kids, with the cam and say '' do you mind taking a picture of me? '' after they do it, ''oh by the way, my name is Helder, what's yours? Have you seen the best card trick in the world? No?! Come here, I will show you.'' Will try it in the future.

With this group in front of me I start asking names and I give a deck of cards for one spectator shuffle. I said something like '' I will show you one of the best card tricks in the world but first let me show my favorite coin trick and I did my ONE COIN ROUTINE, this one : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCPGyNdodtg , with patter. The reactions were great, it's very strong as I expected.

Then I did my SPONGE BALL ROUTINE, this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=navZM4oj9yg , another great routine with magic happening in the hands of a kid. Some problems with the wind, need to figure out a solution for this, when I put the balls on table the wind and gravity started to play with them.A possible solution can be give the balls to a kid to hold them. Need to think about it.

And finnaly AMBITIOUS CARD ROUTINE with Jay Sankey Papperclipped end.I put a presentation on this as one of the best tricks in the world. Here I get back the deck I give at the first group, so there's less change they leave, because they are holding a prop, also the idea is overlapping the routines, for the same reason, I give the card on paperclip to a kid before I finish the sponge ball routine.Same problem with wind, need to figure out how I will solve this on ambitious card.

One thing that I start doing here was asking names, and envolving a lot of spectators. It can be only shuffle the deck or sign this card but helps a lot on connecting with them, but need a lot of work yet on this.

As you see, I don't did the cups today, especially because I realize that one of my mistakes on first day was show too long for a newbie. So today I did half of the time, only these 3 tricks, more or less, 8 minutes. I think next time I can do this sequence:

One Coin Routine

Sponge Balls ( with a kid )

Cups and Balls

Changing the Ambitious card for Cups and Balls I solve the problem with wind easily. And I will make them clap and cheer before the cups, at the end of sponge ball routine. In terms of presentation the cups will be the show and the other routines the warm up.

What I learn today? Thanks for asking.

I learn that what I was thinking that could be more difficult, stopping them, becomes the easy part. The hard part now is organize them in a semi circle and connecting more with them. Step by step I get there. It just a matter of keep doing it, I think. The hats lines I did before revealing that the sign card was the card on paperclip. With the card in my hands I said something like ''before I reveal why this is one of the best card tricks in the world let me say something...HAT LINES'' The hat lines need a little more work too, but not bad at all.

Thanks

Helder
Sounds like a good day as you have learnt a lot from it.

How long were you out on the streets today?
How was the hats?
Is there many people in that area/at your pitch?

Thanks for the updates, I'm enjoying reading it.

Rich
G'day Helder

Thanks for the update - I like how you are working through what is best for your situation.

I enjoyed watching the videos - yes the sponge ball routine (which had great moves) would be an issue in the wind - I am sure you will work through this for the busking application. Clearly the coin routine has no issues with wind.

So - how many shows did you do and BTW were the hats ok???????

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob). :bunny:
Good to see your evolution as a busker...
As I told before, e really love that freaking hat, looking at it, it's impossible not to give you a smile even for a serious person... The painting in the bottom of table is a nice bit too... if I busk more in the future maybe I will try your idea, obiviuously with a diferent aproach... your magic is impecable and I don't have anything more to say about it... Hope you don't share here any of those secret bits I told via facebook, I know some of them are hard to believe, but if you give a try, you will see that is pure gold... :patty:
Don't bother to much about displaying them correctly... there are some moments when you should stop to be a magician, and pass to your lion tamer vein, and them come back to the magician...
waiting for more of you...
[quote]On Apr 5, 2015, SugarRayRick wrote:
Sounds like a good day as you have learnt a lot from it.

How long were you out on the streets today?
How was the hats?
Is there many people in that area/at your pitch?

Thanks for the updates, I'm enjoying reading it.

Rich [/quote]

I stay about an hour on the pitch. It was too hot the weather.
Yes, the hats were good.
The people on that area, more or less 15 adults and 10 kids.

How about you, have you already started busking?

Helder
[quote]On Apr 5, 2015, troppobob wrote:
G'day Helder

Thanks for the update - I like how you are working through what is best for your situation.

I enjoyed watching the videos - yes the sponge ball routine (which had great moves) would be an issue in the wind - I am sure you will work through this for the busking application. Clearly the coin routine has no issues with wind.

So - how many shows did you do and BTW were the hats ok???????

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob). :bunny: [/quote]

Thanks for watching mr. Bob. I did one show with a good crowd, then I did bits and pieces for 2/3 spectators. When I finish my first show come to the table a girl with her mother, I did the coin routine, when I finish it, without I said anything about money, she start taking the wallet, in my mind " ok , do it, I will not stop you" . And basically I did it until I leave the pitch. Now that I look back, a nice thing would be make the first crowd clap and cheer when I finish the Ambitious Card routine and end with Cups and Balls. The conditions were good for a bigger show.

Helder

PS: the hats were good. :)
[quote]On Apr 6, 2015, Eduardo wrote:
Good to see your evolution as a busker...
As I told before, e really love that freaking hat, looking at it, it's impossible not to give you a smile even for a serious person... The painting in the bottom of table is a nice bit too... if I busk more in the future maybe I will try your idea, obiviuously with a diferent aproach... your magic is impecable and I don't have anything more to say about it... Hope you don't share here any of those secret bits I told via facebook, I know some of them are hard to believe, but if you give a try, you will see that is pure gold... :patty:
Don't bother to much about displaying them correctly... there are some moments when you should stop to be a magician, and pass to your lion tamer vein, and them come back to the magician...
waiting for more of you... [/quote]

Thanks for your words my friend. Always good learn with you, listen your advices.

PS: I will make sure I don't mess up with you. With that Chuck Norris avatar and Veteran written below we never know.

Helder
Hey man,

This is a great read. I got a couple of questions:

Do you take a friend or two, to take the pictures, or you always get some potential spectator to take them for you?

Do you use a regular paperclip on "paperclipped", or a bigger (more visual) prop like a clothes peg (mola de roupa in portuguese)? I think Denis Behr did a version with a clothes peg, and in the street a bigger clamp for the card might be a good ideia.

Anyways, always good to hear from you.

Cheers,

RG
[quote]On Apr 7, 2015, Rui wrote:
Hey man,

This is a great read. I got a couple of questions:

Do you take a friend or two, to take the pictures, or you always get some potential spectator to take them for you?

Do you use a regular paperclip on "paperclipped", or a bigger (more visual) prop like a clothes peg (mola de roupa in portuguese)? I think Denis Behr did a version with a clothes peg, and in the street a bigger clamp for the card might be a good ideia.

Anyways, always good to hear from you.

Cheers,

RG [/quote]

Hi, thanks for posting my friend. When I go with friends like 1st day they take pictures of me and the crowd, when I go alone like last day I don't do it. In this case I just ask one spectator to take this one and he took one with me too.

In Pappercliped I use this:

[IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/heldermagico/FullSizeRender%201.jpg[/IMG]

It's a piece of ribbon with about 25 inches +/- . A kid hold it high. I use this because I want it very visible when they are holding it and when I remove from the card they can see very clear that I remove the ribbon without mention anything.
I know those options you mentioned but I prefer these.

Hope you like it

Helder
[quote]On Apr 7, 2015, helder wrote:

It's a piece of ribbon with about 25 inches +/- . A kid hold it high. I use this because I want it very visible when they are holding it and when I remove from the card they can see very clear that I remove the ribbon without mention anything.
I know those options you mentioned but I prefer these.

Hope you like it

Helder [/quote]

I do like it. A lot. We never talked about this, but I had a feeling you would end up with a good solution.

Cheers,

RG
I would tie the ribbon to a stick so that it is even more higher.
Hi Helder,

When you had only 2 or 3 participants. Did you still hat them? Or just used it as an opportunity to practice?

I'm hoping to hit the streets in the next month or so. I still have to pick up a table.

Rich
[quote]On Apr 7, 2015, SugarRayRick wrote:
Hi Helder,

When you had only 2 or 3 participants. Did you still hat them? Or just used it as an opportunity to practice?

I'm hoping to hit the streets in the next month or so. I still have to pick up a table.

Rich [/quote]

Yes, I still hat them.
Good luck for you.

Helder
Day 4

Today I went to the pitch with very low expectations because it was day of football game.One of the main teams (Benfica) played today. I arrive there one hour before the game and it was little pedestrian traffic. I did some magic for kids, just bits and pieces for fun and returned home.

Here a pic with some of them:

[IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/heldermagico/CIMG0751.jpg[/IMG]

And a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssv-MjMfmZo

Helder
I liked your use of the squeaker.

I notice the bell on your table. What do you use that for Helder??
[quote]On Apr 12, 2015, SugarRayRick wrote:
I liked your use of the squeaker.

I notice the bell on your table. What do you use that for Helder?? [/quote]

It's the cause of some magic effects, for example, ambitious card, the card comes to the top because the bell. It's an idea of Jim Krenz, I think.

Helder
Also a thought of mine, just haven't found one at a flea market yet.
Guys I'm back in the business. More on this soon.

Helder
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (Jan 13, 2017 02:24AM)
Good to see you back. Can't wait to hear your stories
What took you away to start with?
Welcome back! I'll be back up and running again this come March! Glad to have you back
[quote]On Jan 12, 2017, helder wrote:

Helder [/quote]

Helder, good to see you back. I've been lurking anonymously on this forum for a few weeks, but your post made me want to sign up and register for an actual account.

I enjoyed your post and think you're doing a tremendous job. I probably don't have 1/100th of what you have in terms of talent, but my goal is to eventually do what you do and hit the streets.

Same goes for SleightlyChris. Looking forward to more posts from both of you.
[quote]On Jan 13, 2017, cbguy wrote:
What took you away to start with? [/quote]

Police and permits. I found another route.

Now, back in the business.
Hi guys,

Today I did a few shows at a market in Lisbon.

Here's everything ready to start:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/WR4PjJ8.jpg[/img]

The show:

- Fiber Optics
- Ambitious Card
- Cups and Balls

And no alcohol, :):

[img]http://i.imgur.com/gzDXay8.jpg[/img]

Lessons Learned:

I need to become better at stop them.I'm too quiet. I have color, movement but need sound.I'm not confortable speaking very loud at this point of the show. During the show is ok, but at the start no. Is something that I need to overcome or find another alternative.
The jokes are good, I'm polishing them.

Anyway, here's a video of the ambitious card routine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOWlr1NMAIw
Few notes about the routines:

- Fiber Optics

The presentation is better, in terms of method, probably a phase where the magic happens in there hands, will think more about it latter.

- Ambitious Card

This one as you can watch on the video posted above, everytime the card rises to the top, it's a single card, no DL. And this is something I like because when I show the top card there isn't any tension on my hands, I can perform the move with wind, throw it on the table, it's just one card, nothing can go wrong. And I can relax, keep my focus on the crowd, there isn't nothing to hide. Another thing, 1st and 2nd phases they don't see the sign card in the middle, they assume it's but in the 3rd phase I show them and in the 4rd phase ''it's in the middle'' face up, so there's an evolution in every phase. Another detail, look how I put the card on top of the deck as an in transit action after 2nd phase, not squared.I also force the card because I want a low spot card wich shows the signature better.
As you can see they shuffle the cards, I give small packets to 4, 5 persons, it's just to interact with them and make friends. Helps a lot

- Cups and Balls

This one kills them everytime. Now it's just a matter of polishing the lines, the timing of them.

Anyway, that's it. Let me know if you read and like this.

Helder
[quote]On Jan 15, 2017, TonyBToronto wrote:
[quote]On Jan 12, 2017, helder wrote:

Helder [/quote]

Helder, good to see you back. I've been lurking anonymously on this forum for a few weeks, but your post made me want to sign up and register for an actual account.

I enjoyed your post and think you're doing a tremendous job. I probably don't have 1/100th of what you have in terms of talent, but my goal is to eventually do what you do and hit the streets.

Same goes for SleightlyChris. Looking forward to more posts from both of you. [/quote]

TonyBToronto, soon or latter ( hopefully latter) we all will be dead. A bunch of bones inside a box with a nice suit. Do everything you can to enjoy life. Make everyday count.

Go out and try it. If things are not great , go out again and again. Day by day will get better.

Ah the talent. Don't worry about it. This is 90% hard work, 10% talent. You can do it. 👍👍
Helder
[quote]On Jan 13, 2017, SleightlyChris wrote:
Welcome back! I'll be back up and running again this come March! Glad to have you back [/quote]

SleightlyChris I always enjoy read your progress.

Thanks for your words

Helder
Helder I see you have a referee whistle and you have problems to get the people?

Helder could you write down what you do to get a crowd? starting from nothing until you start with fiber optics.

or pm me
[quote]On Apr 10, 2017, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
Helder I see you have a referee whistle and you have problems to get the people?

Helder could you write down what you do to get a crowd? starting from nothing until you start with fiber optics.

or pm me [/quote]

PM.

Thanks

Helder
Helder,
I can see in the video that you are good with people and that you like to interact with them and that they like you. This is a great gift - continue to exploit it and use it. Well done. I wish you continued success.
[quote]On Apr 10, 2017, mrsmiles wrote:
Helder,
I can see in the video that you are good with people and that you like to interact with them and that they like you. This is a great gift - continue to exploit it and use it. Well done. I wish you continued success. [/quote]

Helder
[quote]On Apr 10, 2017, helder wrote:
[quote]On Apr 10, 2017, mrsmiles wrote:
Helder,
I can see in the video that you are good with people and that you like to interact with them and that they like you. This is a great gift - continue to exploit it and use it. Well done. I wish you continued success. [/quote]

Helder [/quote] Good Luck Helder my kindest Mike Alan
Helder,
great to see you're 'back on the block'!
I love your colours(!),..
and I hope you're back with "the Hat". 🙃

{"Helder Sousa".
John Phillip Sousa,...
Portuguise roots,...
my favourite Componist...🙂}

wish you well buddy.
gallagher
[quote]On Apr 16, 2017, gallagher wrote:
Helder,
great to see you're 'back on the block'!
I love your colours(!),..
and I hope you're back with "the Hat". 🙃

{"Helder Sousa".
John Phillip Sousa,...
Portuguise roots,...
my favourite Componist...🙂}

wish you well buddy.
gallagher [/quote]

Thanks.

No more hat.

:)

Helder
Hey guys, today I performed at another Market, here's everything ready:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/TpYn72H.jpg[/IMG]
That's a lot to carry. Table, speaker system, statue.
Some notes about this day:

- Leather balls and hot weather, not a good combination, they stick to my hands and interfere with some techniques, so I will use others

- Did short shows because of the weather, too hot, instead of Fiber Optics, Ambitious Card and Cups and Balls, I did only the rope routine and Cups, I forget the hat at home, so no melon, ended up with 4 loads

- I'm starting to get better stopping them, 😂

- In this show they paid me to perform, I didn't pass the hat at the end

- I performed without an hat but need to buy one, be there performing for 2 hours with this sun in my head, not good ( 30 degrees today)

- At the end they give me 30€ more, above my cachet and invite me to perform next Sunday at another Market, it was a good day

Final notes:

- 1st thank you to who has helped me with advices and encouragement

- 2nd If you are readind this and thinking, " oohhh, I shoud do this. I need to start. I want to go out and try." DO IT NOW. After you are dead, it's too late. Enjoy the life, do what you love and on top of that make people laugh. That's a power we have in our hands.

Anyway, thanks for reading this, for your comments.

😉👍
[quote]On May 6, 2017, jakeg wrote:
That's a lot to carry. Table, speaker system, statue. [/quote]

A big illusion anhm! 😂 The final load in the cups and balls.
A suggestion for hat days: put a couple of small wet towels in you freezer the night before the show, and carry them in a cooler box with some bottled water. It will make a huge difference on those hot days, especially if you have to perform in the sun.
[quote]On May 6, 2017, helder wrote:
[quote]On May 6, 2017, jakeg wrote:
That's a lot to carry. Table, speaker system, statue. [/quote]

A big illusion anhm! 😂 The final load in the cups and balls. [/quote]

Love it!
Message: Posted by: Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse (May 6, 2017 09:07PM)
Nice. I've been reading as you progress and appreciate you sharing with us
Found a pic:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rQU2Ws0.jpg[/IMG]

Helder
[quote]On May 7, 2017, Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse wrote:
Nice. I've been reading as you progress and appreciate you sharing with us [/quote]

Thanks. It's nice to receive some feedback.

Helder
This all looks great!!

The only small suggestion would be not to do as many loads for the cups.
You might be surprised at the fact that you will get the same reaction from just 3 balls.
Otherwise looks like your well on your way.
Yes get a hat :))
[quote]On May 12, 2017, Nickoli Sharpe wrote:
This all looks great!!

The only small suggestion would be not to do as many loads for the cups.
You might be surprised at the fact that you will get the same reaction from just 3 balls.
Otherwise looks like your well on your way.
Yes get a hat :)) [/quote]

4 loads in this show ( 4 tennis balls ). But I've tried both ways and with 5 oranges/ 1 melon the reactions are much better. Not only amazement but also more entertainment.

Helder
Did 3 shows today at other Market, same client. Around half an hour each show, a little more.

These went great. WOW. People laughing, clapping and at the end " this was very good! " .

I'm starting feel confortable speaking loud before the show, using the whristle and in those 3 shows, people stopped with just that, no Magic. Just setting up the rope on the floor, the table, the props, in 3/4 minutes I was with already 15/20 spectators in front of me. Loud and rude as Mario Morris calls it. Great!

Did the vanish hanky with thumb tip, some jokes and went into the show, now with a good crowd in front of me.

Then Fiber Optics, lots of jokes in this one, they love it. And of course the effects are good.

End with cups and balls.

I notice that the timing of the jokes are much better.

Eventually I will have to get an hat that fits this character. I've tried some but don't feel confortable with any of them, so I will keep searching. I'm also using jeans, I feel well with them but want to find something better.

Final notes:

- I'm working in front of the table in the first two routines wich is something I recommend if you are starting out. Don't hide behind the table. I perform behind the table at the end only in the last routine. At that point is good.

- Tried a new tecnique that I saw Billy Kidd doing, works really well. You can watch it in this video, http://youtu.be/DOLdXmpM_7Q from 0:24 to 2:40 +/-.

Helder
Love following your progress Helder! Hope to join you on the streets this year!

Gary
[quote]On May 15, 2017, Chatterbox41 wrote:
Love following your progress Helder! Hope to join you on the streets this year!

Gary [/quote]

Thanks Gary. Let's us know your progress when you start.

Helder
Bought an hat:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Yg7pPBm.jpg[/IMG]
[quote]On May 15, 2017, helder wrote:
Bought an hat:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Yg7pPBm.jpg[/IMG] [/quote]
Why? Is it cold there? What does it look like on? I'm not familiar with the style.
[quote]On May 15, 2017, jakeg wrote:
Bought an hat:

Why? Is it cold there? What does it look like on? I'm not familiar with the style. [/quote]

Because I fits my character and I feel confortable with it.

It's not cold but this isn't an hat for winter.

The fact that you are not familiar is good too. Something new.

Helder
Hey Helder, the 2nd photo came out much clearer for me. The drawingb of the model didn't show on the original post.
Bought an hat:

Looks good... golf cap?

I always wear a hat in my everyday life. I've been thinking a golf cap may be cooler during the summer. I like the idea of a bowler, top hat, fedora for doing a hat load at the end, but like the look and feel of a cap. I'd sacrifice the size of the load to look different and be comfortable.

Gary
I preferred a straw western style hat during the summer. It kept the sun off my face and kept me cool. The saving grace for me were frozen hand towels that I kept in a small cooler
[quote]On May 16, 2017, Chatterbox41 wrote:
Bought an hat

Looks good... golf cap?

I always wear a hat in my everyday life. I've been thinking a golf cap may be cooler during the summer. I like the idea of a bowler, top hat, fedora for doing a hat load at the end, but like the look and feel of a cap. I'd sacrifice the size of the load to look different and be comfortable.

Gary [/quote]

It's a portuguese model of hat.

Some points about the hat ( just my opinion, off course):

- It should be an hat that we like, fits our characther and we feel well with it

- I take in consideration the contrast of colors, between the hat , shirt, trousers, shoes

- I don't want an hat that hides my face, my facial expressions , important point

- final, don't feel bad if your hat is not like Gazzo or Cellini, it's perfect for them but if we can be diferent even better

Helder
[quote]On May 16, 2017, jakeg wrote:
I preferred a straw western style hat during the summer. It kept the sun off my face and kept me cool. The saving grace for me were frozen hand towels that I kept in a small cooler [/quote]

Make sure that the hat don't hide your face. That tip about the towels looks great. Thanks

Helder
I preferred a straw western style hat during the summer. It kept the sun off my face and kept me cool. The saving grace for me were frozen hand towels that I kept in a small cooler [/quote]

The towel idea is great! Do you put them under your hat or just use them on a break? Seems that if you put one under your hat it would keep you cool, unless you do a hat load or something. I used to do that when I was a runner. Or does it make the hat wet when you go to pass it?

Gary
[quote]On May 16, 2017, helder wrote:
Bought an hat

Looks good... golf cap?

Gary [/quote]

It's a portuguese model of hat.

Some points about the hat ( just my opinion, off course):

- It should be an hat that we like, fits our characther and we feel well with it

- I take in consideration the contrast of colors, between the hat , shirt, trousers, shoes

- I don't want an hat that hides my face, my facial expressions , important point

- final, don't feel bad if your hat is not like Gazzo or Cellini, it's perfect for them but if we can be diferent even better

Helder [/quote]

All excellent points Helder. Was just thinking that if you plan on doing a huge load like Gazzo at the end, you are fairly limited to a hat that will take the load... unless you do like Kozmo and have the large jugglers hat to use in the routine and then pass. I may have to consider that just because (as you can see from my profile photo) I prefer to wear caps. I could put a large apple under it, but anything larger would show... I know... tried it out at the grocery store! LOL!

Gary

The towel idea is great! Do you put them under your hat or just use them on a break? Seems that if you put one under your hat it would keep you cool, unless you do a hat load or something. I used to do that when I was a runner. Or does it make the hat wet when you go to pass it?

Gary [/quote]
I throw the damp towels in the freezer over night. I would use them to wipe my face and neck down, and use another towel or wash cloth to dry off.
Gary [/quote]

All excellent points Helder. Was just thinking that if you plan on doing a huge load like Gazzo at the end, you are fairly limited to a hat that will take the load... unless you do like Kozmo and have the large jugglers hat to use in the routine and then pass. I may have to consider that just because (as you can see from my profile photo) I prefer to wear caps. I could put a large apple under it, but anything larger would show... I know... tried it out at the grocery store! LOL!

[/quote]

I have another hat just for the final load ( the melon). In my mind doesn't make sense to wear an hat that doesn't fit my character because of the load. So I use an hat for that. It's 2,3 minutes in the show. Job done
[quote]On May 16, 2017, helder wrote:
Gary [/quote]

[/quote]

I have another hat just for the final load ( the melon). In my mind doesn't make sense to wear an hat that doesn't fit my character because of the load. So I use an hat for that. It's 2,3 minutes in the show. Job done [/quote]

Agreed.... so you wear your cap and use another hat for the melon load? Did you come up with a justification for the second hat or did you find that unnecessary? Sounds like a winning idea.

Gary
Gary wrote: [/quote]

Agreed.... so you wear your cap and use another hat for the melon load? Did you come up with a justification for the second hat or did you find that unnecessary? Sounds like a winning idea.

Gary [/quote]

Yes, another hat for the load. No, it's not necessary. I just treat it as another prop.
No need to justify the other hat. You do not explain why 3 cups. Or why balls. Just do it.
Great idea! Thank you helder and Robert!

Gary
You can do the cups in the hat. this way you carry on everything. so the extra hat is for holding the cups together.
[quote]On May 19, 2017, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
You can do the cups in the hat. this way you carry on everything. so the extra hat is for holding the cups together. [/quote]

Oooh, I like that idea! Also keeps me from having to take off my cap and show my bald head! LOL! Plus it would hold more $$$ when I pass it!

Gary
Hey Helder, glad to know you hit the streets again!

Not fond of your new hat, though. But that's just irrelevant ;)
[quote]On May 23, 2017, Rui wrote:
Hey Helder, glad to know you hit the streets again!

Not fond of your new hat, though. But that's just irrelevant ;) [/quote]

Thanks buddy.

We should meet someday.

Helder
New, for the Medieval Fairs:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/G2wkeid.jpg[/IMG]

Will do the 1st next week.

Helder
I was in Lisbon where I attended a midieval commemorating a battle with England. The highlight was a jousting demo between knights of Portugal & knights of England. I sat no too far from Pres. Salazar who was a spectator.
Is the fair that you are working have any connection?
[quote]On May 26, 2017, jakeg wrote:
I was in Lisbon where I attended a midieval commemorating a battle with England. The highlight was a jousting demo between knights of Portugal & knights of England. I sat no too far from Pres. Salazar who was a spectator.
Is the fair that you are working have any connection? [/quote]

WOW, that was a long time ago! How many years?

No idea what Medieval Fair was that. But things changed In the last years.

Today they do a lot of Medieval Fairs.

This one that I will do next week is half an hour from Lisbon.

Helder
[quote]On May 26, 2017, helder wrote:
New, for the Medieval Fairs:

Will do the 1st next week.

Helder [/quote]

Looking forward to hearing how your Medieval Fair work goes... also something I am interested in!

Gary
Congrat's Helder!
Enjoy reading of your journey. And photos! great.
I never learned a 3 cup routine although I perform a chop cup routine in most sets.
Like ropes and linking ring routines play well on the streets.
Keep on your journey and good luck, you will meet many interesting people along the way.
Nala
I suggest that you keep some sort of a diary with the names of interesting people you meet, and interesting situations you get into.
In action:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kUfARt6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/LGxTZB0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/0vdksnp.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/MnI443G.jpg[/IMG]
You sure stopped them this time. What did you find that worked best for you.
[quote]On Jun 7, 2017, jakeg wrote:
You sure stopped them this time. What did you find that worked best for you. [/quote]

Yeah. Stopping them it's already easy. :)

Few notes about this event:

- Did two shows Saturday morning and another two Sunday afternoon. Few people at the event when I did the 1st show, the pics are from that show. Lots of people on Sunday shows, but no pics. A friend recorded on video part of the show but he doesn't send it to me yet.

- Lots of compliments from the organizers of the event, things like " wow that was really good, congratulations for the show." Also they said that want to continue work with me, wich is also good news

Not much more to say, only that I'm at a point where I'm starting to interact more with people passing by and making the performing space bigger.

They already book me to performed at another, next Saturday.

Helder
Very glad to hear that your show (and you), are doing well. It's interesting following your progress.
Helder, I am very happy :dancing: for you.
[quote]On Jun 8, 2017, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
Helder, I am very happy :dancing: for you. [/quote]

Thanks. Your advices helped a lot.

Helder
Quick note to let you know that I'm performing but will stop writing here for a while. The show is working very well, now I'm getting better at dealing with everything around. Interact with things that are happening outside of the performing space. Will come back when I got something interesting to write.

Thanks
Bye Helder, I am going to mis you .....
[quote]On Jun 27, 2017, helder wrote:
Quick note to let you know that I'm performing but will stop writing here for a while. The show is working very well, now I'm getting better at dealing with everything around. Interact with things that are happening outside of the performing space. Will come back when I got something interesting to write.

Thanks [/quote]

Bye Helder! Glad you're working and look forward to future posts!

Gary
Hi guys, I'm still alive. :)

Just a quick note to show you part of my participation on a medieval fair:

https://youtu.be/22rCyHuqd28

PS: Currently I'm not doing them, I'm focused in expanding my reportoire for weddings and restaurant where I perform every week.
These are in another one, at 2 years ago, +/-.

[IMG]https://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/heldermagico/image_2.jpeg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l483/heldermagico/image_3.jpeg[/IMG]