(Close Window)
Topic: Your favorite pack light, play huge
Hey everyone,
Would love to hear your favorite routine/trick for very large audiences and packs light.

Starting with mine...
Arm Chopper
Instant Magician (Ken Scott's)

-Mike
This most likely has been discussed before but I cant remember LOL

so I will share

my version of snow storm.

cant beat it for pack small play huge.
used it to close thousands of my shows and never fails to get the job done.
still using it in the show as the closer but now I have a new (closer really an Encore) but I will never stop performing my snow storm routine.

sam
Miser's Dream for me! I just use a small metal cup and a few coins. It's the most-talked-about trick in my act! Super-interactive and super fun.
Miser's dream; Linking Rings; Cut and Restored rope; Rabbit-in-hat hand puppet routine; Sponge balls
Ring and rope; giant B'Wave; Mental Epic

Ed
Arm Chopper and Mental Epic are not what I'd call packs light.

I'll add my vote for Ring and Rope.

20th Century Silks and Silk Cascade pack light but take a set up. Silk Cascade is more of a set up but can be done the night before which is handy.

P.N. is good and is always ready to go. (Lots of Rope effects would work for packs light.)

Pat Page's Easy Money.

-Mary Mowder
TT streamer, silver scepter, spring puppet CNR rope and misers dream, pretty much entire act.
Our own interactive routines Merlin (which uses a Stiff Rope) and The Magic in You (which uses a Dream Bag). See our website for details.

Plus Pet Store Pranks, Oversize Sponge Balls, Silk Magic, etc.

And I agree with Ed about Giant B'Wave.
Growing and Shrinking Head.
Ropes,
Silks,
Rings,
Newspapers
I forgot about Dan Harlan's Starcle .... a fabulous and magical story-telling routine using just a paper napkin.
My balloon swallow. Ten minutes of fun, gags and bits of business with a magical ending.
Great stuff. Forgot to mention for me, misers dream is huge.
Also started using the dream bag more, loading it with 9 sets or more instead of the 3 that come with it.
I keep telling the kids don't say "flowers" and every time they say it anyway, more flowers keep coming out.
Rose petal to egg trick.
Blackstone (Actually De Kolta) Vanishing Birdcage & T-R Newspaper.
Kellar rope tie
The Vanishing Elephant. I especially like Spellbinder's "Elusive Elephant" version from The Wizards' Journal #28. I just reprinted large cards on 8.5 x 11" glossy photo paper so the trick plays larger than ever and his version has no gimmicks or folders, so it's just the cards plus a 36" "circus tent" foulard. To make it play even larger, I added some more characters to the circus. In Spellbinder's version, everything is handled and held by spectators from the audience, so now I can have up to six kids on stage with me, each one "in charge of" holding one of the circus character cards and acting out the role to the amusement of everyone watching. Everyone gets a balloon hat to wear as well, so with the cards, cloth and a bunch of animal balloons, I can fill the stage with fun and frolic for about ten minutes.
The floating table. Weighs just a few ounces, plays huge.

Jim
Instant Magician? That requires the suit jacket, bunch of props, a sound system, etc...
How is that packs small, plays huge?
Frank - I use one pinky to carry it. Just a tux jacket and all props needed fit in it's pockets. As for sound system, turn it off or the audience will hear you whispering instructions to your assistant.
My all time favourates are .
20th century Silks--can be done for any age.
Egg Bag
Misers Dream with small Pail
Sponge Bunny
Harold Sterling's --Long and short rope.
Silk wonder box.
Zebra Paper Tearing For any age.
Ricky
Not my fave, but I love doing Multiplying bananas. If that is played up it's a laugh riot.
For me it is "what's my job", child version of celebrity Smartass, super frog, crystal silk tube, spotty, 20th century silks, cereal killer, rising card pad, sponge balls, needle through balloon, pressure, three card monty (stage size), and pop pop poof.
My Egg Bag routine
Tommy james hide and seek / troublewit
[quote]On Mar 22, 2015, TrickyRicky wrote:
My all time favourates are .
20th century Silks--can be done for any age.
Egg Bag
Misers Dream with small Pail
Sponge Bunny
Harold Sterling's --Long and short rope.
Silk wonder box.
Zebra Paper Tearing For any age.
Ricky [/quote]

Ricky! "Youse" are doing MY act!!!!!!!!!!!!! (hee hee)

I've used a Demon Wonder Box since 1954, but, it's a pad "bit" in the 20th C. Silks.

Do you have the extra load gimmick???

O
The wonder box I use is Empire/ Loftus make. I like them for the weight and feels solid in my hands.
For my routine I use 2 load chambers. I always have a extra set in my case.
Dick, I hear you are a wonderful children's entertainer--you have quite a reputation. Hope to meet you one day.
The Demon was made by Vampire Magic a long time ago, I don't know if they are in prodution anymore.
Tricky Ricky
For me at the moment it has to be Gary Dunn's Cakes and Adders. It's an absolutely hilarious routine, full of fun and screams, and it definitely packs small!
Duke's Dye Version
1 harmonica or
1 mosquito whistle.

Sometimes I use them at the same time
[quote]On Mar 19, 2015, jimgerrish wrote:
The Vanishing Elephant. I especially like Spellbinder's "Elusive Elephant" version from The Wizards' Journal #28. I just reprinted large cards on 8.5 x 11" glossy photo paper so the trick plays larger than ever and his version has no gimmicks or folders, so it's just the cards plus a 36" "circus tent" foulard. To make it play even larger, I added some more characters to the circus. In Spellbinder's version, everything is handled and held by spectators from the audience, so now I can have up to six kids on stage with me, each one "in charge of" holding one of the circus character cards and acting out the role to the amusement of everyone watching. Everyone gets a balloon hat to wear as well, so with the cards, cloth and a bunch of animal balloons, I can fill the stage with fun and frolic for about ten minutes. [/quote]

Sounds interesting. For the $5.00 asking price I'm going to look into this. Thanks for sharing
Mark