(Close Window)
Topic: Atlas Brookings Penguin Live Lecture
Message: Posted by: Investigative Mentalist (Apr 6, 2015 12:23PM)
I have become a "cyber friend" of Atlas Brookings, so I admit that this post is not entirely objective, but I want to say that Atlas' Penguin Live Lecture last night was very good.

If you want to learn the RIGHT way to use "br***hing a***grams" to do propless mentalism effects, this is for you.

I realize that some people think that a***grams require too much talking, so this is not for everyone.

But if you want to learn how to do mentalism effects that rely solely on some words in your head, check this out!
Yep I agree a fun change of pace. I wouldn't do a whole set propless but would definitely add a few of these.
Message: Posted by: Investigative Mentalist (Apr 6, 2015 12:29PM)
[quote]On Apr 6, 2015, Clel-Mentalist wrote:
Yep I agree a fun change of pace. I wouldn't do a whole set propless but would definitely add a few of these. [/quote]

As Atlas mentioned during his lecture last night, these are NOT the only kind of effects he does, they are just part of his act.
Love the superhero routine!
I've never watched one of these before but I definitely plan to spring for this one.

CT
I'm only 30 minutes into this one and the Superhero routine is worth the price for me! Thanks for sharing this Atlas :)
I am only about 55 minutes in & it's pretty darn great! Has anyone been able to get the website Atlas mentions to grab the PDF's to work? Maybe he said the address wrong or maybe he has to upload said website? If anyone has any idea about this feel free to drop me a PM.

Thanks!
Nathan just downloaded some PDFs from the Penguin account links, is this what you mean?
He said the pdf material would be up by April 15th. Maybe it's not there yet.
See! That's why you watch the WHOLE thing before asking a dumb question! My bad! Thanks guys!

Nathan
I have to say that the lecture is more or less clustered in one direction. Considering the acclaim Atlas has won through his Train Tracking and the fact that he couldn't share or demonstrate that very "thing", the lecture isn't that great IMHO.

Even if the lecture is titled propless mentalism, I don't think the subject is approached as a whole. Most part of the lecture is built around anagrams. The fresh takes are great, but maybe it's not discussed in (that much) depth.

Cheers,
Mike
These reviews seem to only make this more confusing to those still on the fence. Many that we don't know well or whose opinions we may not trust or be familiar with may seem to rave, yet others may have an opposing view and disappointment.

I really think this is why after the interview, Penguin should have a edited video of an overview or highlights from the lecture (of course not giving away all of the goods) to let us see the style, personality, tone and overview of some of the content, effects, topics and ratio of stage vs. closeup, and type of content (cards/no cards, bending, roulette), etc. so we can actually make our own decision based on our interpretation of the actual lecture. I really think Penguin is missing the mark on not using or utilizing such a video to create a strong after-lecture campaign targeted to those that were unable to be there live or are still unsure about the lecture or person, choosing to take a wait and see approach as to what the reviews are before making their decision.

I mean this for all lectures, not just Atlas here. This would allow those to have a better idea of what it is so they can make a more informed and educated decision, and yet curtail those that spend the money and for whatever reason become disappointed. If this could help many more to make a comfortable decision and reduce or eliminate unsatisfied customers, it seems like a win, win idea and format to me.

As someone who has been disappointed about equally as much as pleased over these lectures in the past year, this could be very helpful and great customer service.
Message: Posted by: Investigative Mentalist (Apr 6, 2015 10:21PM)
[quote]On Apr 6, 2015, mikelsc wrote:
I have to say that the lecture is more or less clustered in one direction. Considering the acclaim Atlas has won through his Train Tracking and the fact that he couldn't share or demonstrate that very "thing", the lecture isn't that great IMHO.

Even if the lecture is titled propless mentalism, I don't think the subject is approached as a whole. Most part of the lecture is built around anagrams. The fresh takes are great, but maybe it's not discussed in (that much) depth.

Cheers,
Mike [/quote]

Train Tracking really IS as amazing as the hype claims, but there is no point in Atlas performing it since the book is no longer available.

Those of us who own the book are very happy that the method has remained a closely guarded secret.

And the lecture was not intended to cover ALL kinds of "prop-less mentalism," it focuses on one specific type of effect for which Atlas is well known.

See his e-books (also available at Penguin) "The Real Thing" and "The Prodigal" for more info.
...it focuses on atlas' treatment of a technique that many hate, as well as a couple of propless ways of doing a truth/liar game, and a murder mystery game... all of these shows you how it can be done, but more so, how it SHOULD be done...i would say I've never seen anyone else handle this technique as eloquently or as naturally as Atlas did...about an hour and forty minutes of performance and explanations - then the rest as a discussion...2hr 40mins overall...

so a 'live' mini-treatise on the subject...everything got covered, and everything looked natural...i can see the murder mystery and the truth/lie games playing very well on stage...and it all works as well for close-up, parlour (however you define that these days), stage...

i hate the main technique, because my brain doesn't really work that way - but! I have a set up and a presentational angle that means I can now use one of these effects on my own terms...

as for the discussion, Atlas made a very good point about passion, and about how much you "want it"...i wish more people felt this way...
Fantastic lecture from Mr Brookings. As Steve mentioned as train tracking was a limited release and Atlas promised to those who purchased there would be no reprints or further release of the method, so those fortunate few have all the workings and it is a thing of beauty. If you bump into Atlas or for that matter myself either of us would be more than happy to show you the miracle in person. I've talked with Atlas about it on many occasions and we both agree that no it isn't THE answer to the holy grail of performance, but it's god *** close and good luck to anyone who can get any closer.

As for the lecture itself, no the full philosophy of propels wasn't covered, but that could be a lecture in upon itself. What I expect most people will take from the lecture and as Atlas said himself, is to have an arsenal of incredible effects in your 'pocket' at all times, so if someone says "hey can you show us something", whether that's after a show or just in the street you have something you can perform there and then and you are always set up to go, and produce a miracle at that.

As Clel-mentalist said you wouldn't do a whole set of propless performance but there are certainly routines that you can add into your current repertoire to strengthen those routines. You could argue for and against for the use of propless on the whole. Used well and in the right circumstances it can add a hell of a lot to your routines.

As with all lectures people WILL take something from this lecture and others will take more. Atlas performs the material as he does in real life, this is working material he is demonstrating. But he performs it in his way it's up to the rest of us to figure out how we take his ideas and make them our own.

Can't recommend his works enough.
Message: Posted by: Investigative Mentalist (Apr 7, 2015 10:34AM)
[quote]On Apr 6, 2015, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
He said the pdf material would be up by April 15th. Maybe it's not there yet. [/quote]

The PDF is available now from Penguin with the video download.
Can anyone tell me how many of the effects taught are language dependent?

Thank you,
Adrien.
[quote]On Apr 6, 2015, mikelsc wrote:

Cheers,
Mike [/quote]
He definitely held his best stuff back. The PA stuff was standard and has been covered by many mentalists. Maven is the best at this IMHO. Thompson also played a big role in Atlas' thinking.

Train Tracking is good however he chose not to go into it here. I guess it remains a closely guarded secret for those of us who own it. ;)
I've never seen this method look so real, not by anyone. I thought it was fantastic and and the routines werenso well crafted. Cheers Atlas.
Seeing this lecture confirmed to me just how powerful propless mentalism can be...so much more than any trick involving a deck of playing cards!

I highly recommend this lecture.

Regards,
Mike
Message: Posted by: Investigative Mentalist (Apr 8, 2015 07:29PM)
I really enjoy Atlas' thinking and I highly recommend this lecture.

However, I want to repeat my earlier statement that this is NOT for everyone.

If you don't like effects that require some memorization and "a lot of talking" you will probably not like this.

And yes, Atlas did not reveal his best stuff, but the effects he did demonstrate are well worth the $30 price of the lecture.

He even explained how you can use his techniques to develop similar effects of your own.
Message: Posted by: Investigative Mentalist (Apr 8, 2015 07:35PM)
[quote]On Apr 7, 2015, Adrien Lochon wrote:
Can anyone tell me how many of the effects taught are language dependent?

Thank you,
Adrien. [/quote]

Since nobody answered your question, I'll jump in here.

Almost all of the effects taught in the lecture are designed for English-speaking performers and audiences.

However, you could use Atlas' techniques to create similar effects in your own language once you understand the process, which I think is pretty well explained in the lecture.
This lecture definitely was not for me. As noted above, the entire lecture covered basically one thing, anagrams (which I am just not a fan of ).

The problem with anagrams for me is that the spectator will always be put into a framed box of what they can think about (superhero, cars, candy, etc.) The revelation that follows for a thought like this seems focused very much on the side of being able to simply demonstrate a skill. If I were to take the time to read someone's mind, I would prefer to reveal information that was emotionally relevant to the spectator and had much more of a capacity to reveal further information about what that particular thought or memory says about a person.

The other thing that always bothered me with anagrams is the amount of work you have to put in to them to learn them well (to the point of not even having to think about it) is entirely too much for what little pay off you get. I would much rather spend my time perfecting my swami writing, or working on a memory demonstration, but that's just me.

As for Insight's comment on how much more powerful this is because it's prop less than any other thing using cards, I would kindly disagree with that. Just because something is prop less does not mean that is it more powerful. Yes it's nice to have prop less things that you can perform every now and then, but I feel people are getting carried away with the whole "completely prop less, billetless, etc." thing.

There's nothing wrong with props, and I don't think that the spectator cares for one minute over the fact that this happened "only in ours minds, no paper or pencil was used".

Just my humble thoughts.

All the best,
Matthew
I am a huge Atlas fan and love and own virtually everything he has put out. I still found value in this.

Seeing Atlas perform live made me want to learn those effects even more. In just one night, I leaned two of the a********s taught.

One Anag in particular REALLY sells the idea of there being no limitations. There's not a specific category. They think of a bunch of words and then ultimately decide on one! This couldn't seem fairer. I don't see how anyone who watches this couldn't feel inspired to learn at least one Anag. Maye it's because of the muted responses the volunteers had because they were all magicians. On lay people, this will be about as close to real mind reading as you could get.

There was also an effect similar to thought association card but without the cards. I really digged that one. I also loved the murder mystery routine.

I believe I will be trying out 2 of the Anags in a walk around gig I have this weekend. I may even try the murder mystery and the TAC-esque effect as well.

Honestly, I don't know how someone couldn't like this lecture. I guess they are just scared by the work involved. The mild effort is ABSOLUTELY worth the reward. Perhaps I will report back after my gig and discuss the reactions and etc.
Seems like Atlas is more along the lines of UK and English performers with the whole "propless" approach and all. I though he was form the states but seems heavily influenced by many of Europe's mentalists of today. I too am not sure this would be for me.
[quote]On Apr 8, 2015, Magic.Maddy wrote:

I guess they are just scared by the work involved. [/quote]

That's a very bad guess.
[quote]On Apr 9, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
Seems like Atlas is more along the lines of UK and English performers with the whole "propless" approach and all. I though he was form the states but seems heavily influenced by many of Europe's mentalists of today. I too am not sure this would be for me. [/quote]

don't buy it, you've got a bias...save your money for someone who lives in the States! 😃

If everyone lectured the same as everyone else, it wouldn't be as fun or as interesting...

I think people believe that propless is the easiest as it contains "nothing", then when they try it, they lose their way and panic...then it becomes 20 questions...

With atlas,there is a structure to everything he performed, he made statements not guesses...and it came across as natural and low key...if you don't want to learn realistic, workable material that only requires your brain cells, then don't buy it...to do this well and as cleanly as atlas does will take dedication and energy...

Its an alternative, atlas isn't an advocate of pure propless performances, which he says in his interview...

One of his routines gave me an idea for a nice design dupe which allows me to not bother with any special items...
I think the lecture was worth my money because I got a chance to see how anagr77s should be performed. The subtleties about adding a process context, giving statements and not questions (as IAIN noted), and how to handle no's was priceless. Not trying to convince anyone to perform BA's, but the lecture was very helpful to me.

I hope this doesn't devolve into some type of propless vs. non-propless(?) debate. I have a hard time understanding why this debate even happens. Why would someone box themselves into one or the other? Each has its place and time depending on your style and character. Why do we have to choose a side?

If you want to see a master (I don't think that is hyperbole here) demonstrate some powerful mentalism with just his brain, I would find it hard to believe you won't learn something useful from this lecture. Highly recommended here! :)
Just out of curiosity, when did having or using props become a bad thing? In reality every person we use in our shows is a prop to some extent so the concept of "propless" is kind of silly anyhow. Plus props can greatly add to a performance and theatrical environment, credibility and legitimacy especially when creating theatrical or perceptive value to a paying customer.

Perhaps this should warrant it's own thread.
No idea, I certainly use props, atlas himself says during the lecture that he uses props...ita a very, very small percentage of people who like to go fully propless...and even fewer who perform it well...

If you change the idea of propless to "a treatise on certain classic mentalism techniques that involve memory" you would have a more positive view...atlas' lecture was that treatise...
Were there any memory work, effects or approaches other than ana&*^#m?
I was struggling to explain it without revealing it!

A*****ms, Leo bodreau style applications, it just gets put under the term propless cos its a trendy term...

Superheroes, cars, murder mystery, truth/liar, and a few other bits...

If you are lumping in what atlas taught, with stuff by Pete turner or Fraser parker, then that's off the mark...

The technique atlas demos and teaches are in some classic mentalism booklets...its just that you can see it done live, with all the nuances that atlas has added...

These are surefire effects if you follow the rules!
[quote]On Apr 9, 2015, IAIN wrote:
No idea, I certainly use props, atlas himself says during the lecture that he uses props...ita a very, very small percentage of people who like to go fully propless...and even fewer who perform it well...

If you change the idea of propless to "a treatise on certain classic mentalism techniques that involve memory" you would have a more positive view...atlas' lecture was that treatise... [/quote]

I like that. I might tweak that to memory and logic.
[quote]On Apr 9, 2015, Rod Irroc wrote:
[quote]On Apr 8, 2015, Magic.Maddy wrote:

I guess they are just scared by the work involved. [/quote]

That's a very bad guess. [/quote]

Fair enough! :) I never have been one to cold read well. I would love to hear your thoughts on why.

I have already performed both Anags, the Murder Mystery routine, and the TAC-esque routines today at school. So far, they have all gone over extremely well.

As a matter of fact, one of my good friends I always perform for was completely blown away when I named the superhero he was thinking of. He was very impressed and shocked. I think it impressed him so much because he was expecting a process and there wasn't. He never wrote anything down, never said anything out loud, he just thought of a superhero and I read his mind and told him what it was.

This is all very good stuff that I believe shouldn't be overlooked. Actually.. Please overlook it so there are less people performing it!!
[quote]On Apr 9, 2015, Magic.Maddy wrote:

This is all very good stuff that I believe shouldn't be overlooked. Actually.. Please overlook it so there are less people performing it!! [/quote]

Deal! :)
Atlas is a genius, a really natural performer and incredibly well versed at all aspects of mentalism (not just propless).

Atlas is not an advocate for propless mentalism - In-fact I don't think I have met one mentalist that is an advocate for it (myself included).

Why does it have to become a U.K vs U.S mentalism debate? - Wasn't it Dunninger who said "Everytime you take a prop out, your price goes down".

Now correct me if I am wrong but isn't Dunninger from the U.S?

I am not saying I agree with that sentiment - before anyone thinks I am saying that there is no place for props in mentalism. I have said it before, every single one of us has a different view on how things should be performed regardless of where we are from. I am just pointing out that people long before 'us' had difference in opinion too and I am sure they will long after us.

If anyone thinks An^****s are restrictive, I can think of at least 5 (straight off of the top of my head) ways to get someone to say that THEY (that is the key term) would like me to think of a Disney film - Leading me to be able to say "So out of every category area you could have had me guess things from you would like me to guess a Disney film? You sure you don't want to change to.. the name of a friend or a pin code, a drawing? - it really doesn't matter as long as you are comfortable".

If they choose the category of the thing that you are going to guess how would they ever expect it to be anything but their choice?

ANY piece of mentalism is as restrictive as you make it.

Back to the topic at hand - This is about Atlas' Penguin lecture.

If you have seen Atlas lecture, you have a right to have an opinion on the material and the way Atlas performs/ what he is performing. If you are coming on here to slay someone before you have seen a look in (as that is all these lectures are) into some of the material a performer chooses to share then your opinion counts for nothing.

Interestingly, if your opinion counts for nothing and is biased in this context - How are we supposed to take it serious in any other.

Atlas you were incredible.

Pete x
[quote]On Apr 9, 2015, Magic.Maddy wrote:

This is all very good stuff that I believe shouldn't be overlooked. Actually.. Please overlook it so there are less people performing it!! [/quote]

Deal! :) [/quote]

Mr. Chavis, could you please explain further? What I love about many posters here is that while they may not like this or that or feel this way or that, they put out a reasoned and logical explanation why they feel that way. It could be that Maddy was indeed wrong, and obviously it is everyone's right to disagree with any poster here. Would you explain why his guess was wrong or why it is a good 'deal' for you to pass it up?

I just think it would be valuable if you would respond and add to the conversation about the lecture so that people can either accept your thinking, add to it, or rebut it. And considering this is a thread about Atlas's lecture and I see you are interested in the conversation, your reasoning would be welcome and appreciated by all in making a determination of whether to purchase the lecture themselves.
To be clear on my position because I do not want to be mixed into a catagory that can be A#*%=#ed... and things get easily twisted on this forum.

I'm pro UK and pro USA. :pepsi:

Certainly not trying to slay Atlas nor have an opinion on him at all other than he seems a Gentleman to me.

Not saying you lumped me in with the direction of your post, Pete, but want to be sure we are both clear. I simply do not care for a *#_bla bla and it's not because I'm "scared to put in the work." I have zero interest in IT. Nothing to do with Atlas and his lecture.
[quote]On Apr 9, 2015, RedDevil wrote:

Would you explain why his guess was wrong or why it is a good 'deal' for you to pass it up?[/quote]

Sure, I'll explain both. It was wrong (for me) simply because I am NOT scared to put in the work. It is a good deal for me to pass it up because I have zero interest in a*ag*a*s.

[quote]
I just think it would be valuable if you would respond and add to the conversation about the lecture so that people can either accept your thinking, add to it, or rebut it. [/quote]

Well thank you...
If I had watched the lecture I would offer you my thoughts. Since I HAVE NOT watched it, I have no thoughts to offer you and is why I did not make any comment on the lecture.

[quote]And considering this is a thread about Atlas's lecture and I see you are interested in the conversation, your reasoning would be welcome and appreciated by all in making a determination of whether to purchase the lecture themselves. [/quote]

My comment was a disagreement with Maddy (does not mean one is scared to put in the work when you simply do not care for something). You are right, this is a thread about Atlas and his lecture and my disagreement with one member is taking away from that. Apologies.

Sure, I'll explain both. It was wrong (for me) simply because I am NOT scared to put in the work. It is a good deal for me to pass it up because I have zero interest in a*ag*a*s.

[/quote]

May I ask WHY you have zero interest in them? You did see the lecture, correct? I'm not trying to debate right or wrong opinions by any means. I am just genuinely interested in why you have no interest in performing one if it doesn't have to do with the memory/work involved. To me, it's almost as close to real mind reading as you could get.
To be as clear as I can be, my comment was on an*gr*ms in general.

Maddy, I do not want to further derail this topic from my one disagreement... You can shoot a PM my way.
To be as clear as I can be, my comment was on an*gr*ms in general.

Maddy, I do not want to further derail this topic from my one disagreement... You can shoot a PM my way. [/quote]

Not a disagreement. I like them. You don't. I'm just curious as to why. But will do.

Point is, unless you're Rod, you will love this lecture! XP

It's very very good material. I've been killing with it already.
Wow!

And this is what I am saying about "things getting twisted on this forum. "

Almost unbelievable.

Nevermind, Maddy, do not pm me.
I must admit that I had absolutely zero interest in those things beginning with a. Then I read the prodigal and it changed my perception of them considerably. Then I had the opportunity to see Atlas do them in person and I completely changed my opinion on them in general particularly after discovering that a few effects that Pete Turner blew me away with used them completely invisibly. Funny enough, even after Atlas had shown me how good they are when done properly I still didn't like the idea of using one for star signs. Then Pete did his version for star signs and I now use that almost daily.

If you have no interest in these because you think they may be procedure heavy and somewhat transparent this lecture could very well surprise you.

Mark
Wow!

And this is what I am saying about "things getting twisted on this forum. "

Almost unbelievable.

Nevermind, Maddy, do not pm me. [/quote]

I thought I made it quite apparent that I was just joking.

If I didn't, let me do so now. I was just joking Rod. I respect your opinion even though it differs from mine. To each his own.
Mark, sometimes that's all it takes. The same thing could very well happen to me. You understand my position from your own personal experience.
Maddy, where???
Maddy, where??? [/quote]

Sorry, the 'XP' is text lingo for a face of a cheeky dude sticking his tongue out. Guess I should have spelt it out rather than leaving it to interpretation. I'm sorry if I offended you Rod in any way shape or form on any part of this conversation. That has not been my intention.
Well you taught me something, I never would have known that. Doubt I'll ever use it but hey, you never know. :nana:
Allow me to apologize to you... I'm sorry.

(and for those of you lurking)
I am as amazed as anyone how one post created all this!
Sorry again for derailing your thread!

I'm off of it now.
As I stated in a different thread, I loved this lecture.

I'm a big fan of of "the A word" and have developed a few routines of my own that I use regularly. One of the terrific features of Altas' lecture was that you got to see someone who is good at an*&g*^*s in action. It was like when I first learned about "the E word" and tried to make it flow and seem natural. It helped so much when I finally got Multiplicity and was able to see it in the hands (and mouth) of an expert (or should I say "maven"). Same thing here. How often do you get to see "the A word" in action? And when you do, how often is it done well? Watching Atlas and seeing his approach is such a treat. Yes, artfully using an an*&g*^*s can take some work. And I love that there aren't a lot of people willing to put that work in, because that means this is a technique that won't be used by everybody and his (younger) brother.

Well done Atlas., and thanks for sharing!

Bill
Rod, if you ever change your mind about getting this lecture, I would genuinely love to hear what you think of it. I never liked A's myself for many years. Even when done by the best in the business I didn't find them particularly convincing and I think this is where Atlas strength and contribution lay. He makes them believable and congruent with everything else he performs. Maybe you still won't like it but maybe you will.
Message: Posted by: Investigative Mentalist (Apr 10, 2015 10:18AM)
[quote]On Apr 9, 2015, Sean Giles wrote:
Rod, if you ever change your mind about getting this lecture, I would genuinely love to hear what you think of it. I never liked A's myself for many years. Even when done by the best in the business I didn't find them particularly convincing and I think this is where Atlas strength and contribution lay. He makes them believable and congruent with everything else he performs. Maybe you still won't like it but maybe you will. [/quote]

I agree, the key to Atlas' performance is HOW uses the A-thing so that you don't notice he is using the A-thing.

That's the genius of his routines and scripts.

Watching him do it live (on video) makes it even more impressive than reading his books.
I would love to see a video release of people who use BA's well with discussion and illustration of "poor examples" and common mistakes, handling no's, and setting up context for the use of the BA in the first place.

I thought of a presentation for the superhero BA yesterday, and it went very well in practice.
I have been using the superhero BA in conjunction with Peter Turner's spider force from Devil in Disguise (modified) so that the spectator chooses a category from a list and then think of one. It's been going very well so far! (And the force has hit every time so far.)
Performed the superhero BA several times tonight with GREAT success. It seriously impressed them. One guy in particular Wasnt reacting that well to my card tricks. It was only when I read his mind that he really flipped out. He went from being the quiet one of the group to being very loud and energetic about my performance. You could tell he was absolutely blown away
Your experience is not atypical. In fact, many people don't respond well to mentalism with cards, and IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT. Cards themselves lend the theory that it is just another card trick. Your performing the superhero BA and it being received so well by the same audience that did not respond so well to the card trick shows that the most intelligent minds in the audience need brain stimulation that comes from propless mentalism AND the powerful effects from atlas, looch, peter turner, etc.

Regards,
Mike

[quote]On Apr 11, 2015, Magic.Maddy wrote:
Performed the superhero BA several times tonight with GREAT success. It seriously impressed them. One guy in particular Wasnt reacting that well to my card tricks. It was only when I read his mind that he really flipped out. He went from being the quiet one of the group to being very loud and energetic about my performance. You could tell he was absolutely blown away [/quote]
[quote]On Apr 11, 2015, insight wrote:
In fact, many people don't respond well to mentalism with cards, and IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT.[/quote]

It's your fault, Mike!
Message: Posted by: Lord Of The Horses (Apr 12, 2015 12:07AM)
[quote]On Apr 12, 2015, truman wrote:
In fact, many people don't respond well to mentalism with cards, and IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT.[/quote]

It's your fault, Mike! [/quote]

Truman... :lol:
Mike, I meant to add a smiley face, too... ;)
Well Mike, I wasn't doing mentalism with cards. I was doing card tricks. Maybe that's why he thought I was doing card tricks ;) I got hired to do magic at the gig. I just try to slip some mind reading into all my gigs.
the most intelligent minds in the audience need brain stimulation that comes from propless mentalism AND the powerful effects from atlas, looch, peter turner, etc.
[quote]

So that's where it comes from.

So I guess it never existed for generations before. Good to know the facts.
Would you believe that the very first time I performed this the person thought of Aqua Man? lol

the superhero BA is a lot of fun. I've only performed it 3x but have hit each time.
You are not alone. There are thousands of magicians across the country who slip in mindreading into their gigs while doing magic tricks with cards. I love performing atlas' effects that are propless like those covered in the lecture and those not...like train tracking.

Regards,
Mike

[quote]On Apr 12, 2015, Magic.Maddy wrote:
Well Mike, I wasn't doing mentalism with cards. I was doing card tricks. Maybe that's why he thought I was doing card tricks ;) I got hired to do magic at the gig. I just try to slip some mind reading into all my gigs. [/quote]
Good, I wasn't sure where you stood on the use of cards in mentalism or your opinion on the merits of train tracking until this post. Glad that I now know your view on those topics.

[quote]On Apr 12, 2015, insight wrote:
You are not alone. There are thousands of magicians across the country who slip in mindreading into their gigs while doing magic tricks with cards. I love performing atlas' effects that are propless like those covered in the lecture and those not...like train tracking.

Regards,
Mike

Well Mike, I wasn't doing mentalism with cards. I was doing card tricks. Maybe that's why he thought I was doing card tricks ;) I got hired to do magic at the gig. I just try to slip some mind reading into all my gigs. [/quote] [/quote]
So does TT use cards?
[quote]On Apr 12, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
So does TT use cards? [/quote]

No. Just two minds.
Phew!
And there my friends lies the problem with mentalism today.

I started out doing magic - only magic. I now only do mentalism. However, with soo many magicians jumping from card tricks to mind reading , all using mentalism methods - it is going to become harder and harder to get audiences to take mentalism seriously. Wish the magicians would just stick to their magic and leave mind reading alone! If you must, at least do mental magic and not some hard hitting mentalism!
I couldn't agree more. And it's the guys that complain when we state this, that are the ones that are obviously doing it. Glad to hear someone else step up and say it finally. There is a difference between magic and mentalism, and if you don't understand it you're a magician, simple really.
Haha love the comments but I respectfully disagree. I perform full out Mentalism shows very often. I also do straight magic shows very often. I perform magic on a daily basis up close. I also perform mentalism on a daily basis up close.

I will admit, I don't claim to be a real mind reader, so I don't care to mix it into magic. If anything, the mentalism strengthens the magic and vice versa. I do not believe it is a bad thing at all to mix the two as long as it's in the right conditions and the right place.
Now that we have shown why card tricks may not be the way to perform mentalism...even if one is a living legend...let's get back to the topic intended for this thread...this lecture was incredible and I highly recommend it to those who like to create an impact using ONLY the mind. Yes, no cards!

Regards,
Mike
Now that we have shown why card tricks may not be the way to perform mentalism...even if one is a living legend... [/quote]

Neither "we" nor you have shown any such thing. All you have shown is the ability to make overly broad and inaccurate generalizations, probably projecting your own inability to effectively use cards properly in mentalism.

I still eagerly await a link to a video of you performing in a professional setting so that we may all witness how mentalism is "supposed" to be performed.

But I agree that you have taken this thread entirely off track and am happy to hear that you would now like to return to the original topic without further passive aggressive trolling.

Regards,

Bob
I will admit, I don't claim to be a real mind reader, so I don't care to mix it into magic. If anything, the mentalism strengthens the magic and vice versa. [/quote]

Yeah, but this could very well be the most disturbing of all. As I said...
Just imagine doing ambitious card then suddenly doing mind reading with cards. The first effect weakens the second by giving spectators the opportunity to assume great skill with cards and sleight of hand.

Imho, the only time you can mix magic and mentalism in the same show is when you dress your magic up as mentalism and use pieces that do not have any overt show off sleight of hand involved. Otherwise, keep it completely separate.
Ambitious card has been a staple of my mentalism act for years. Yes I'm serious and it comes across as a strong piece of mind control.
Bob, I literally wrote "card tricks may not be the way to perform mentalism". You literally responded by writing "neither we nor you have shown any such thing". I never thought you would think a mentalist should perform what the audience perceives as card tricks. The reason why I love Atlas' stuff is that it is never perceived as just another card trick. For an example of how mentalism is "supposed" to be performed, I encourage everyone to purchase this lecture and see exactly how.

By the way, do you have any thoughts on this lecture that you would like to share?

Regards,
Mike

[quote]On Apr 13, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Now that we have shown why card tricks may not be the way to perform mentalism...even if one is a living legend... [/quote]

Neither "we" nor you have shown any such thing. All you have shown is the ability to make overly broad and inaccurate generalizations, probably projecting your own inability to effectively use cards properly in mentalism.

I still eagerly await a link to a video of you performing in a professional setting so that we may all witness how mentalism is "supposed" to be performed.

But I agree that you have taken this thread entirely off track and am happy to hear that you would now like to return to the original topic without further passive aggressive trolling.

Regards,

Bob [/quote]
Mike, at the risk of belaboring this absurdity, I'm curious how you integrate into your interesting worldview something like the fact that Atlas himself sells something called "The Crusade -- A Mindreader's ACAAN." Is this effect, which Atlas expressly characterizes as "an impossible and satisfying piece of mind reading" rather than magic, a sad Achilles heel on the part of Atlas, or does it in any way shake your sublime confidence in the correctness of your own views in this area?
Mike didn't watch the lecture. In his chat with Dan at the end, Atlas discussed his plans to release his version of a memorized deck. Yet here we are again in another hijacked thread that Mike is using to gain notoriety for himself by the methods you see above. It won't be the last time.
I think Mike's point lies in the definition of "card trick". Using playing cards to help you read minds is fine as long as it is not perceived as a "card trick", i.e., a trick achieved with sleigh-of-hand.

If that's the point he is trying to make, I agree with him.
Many of us believe that any time you bring out a deck of cards to a lay audience they immediately think of "card trick." Definition isn't involved.
My thoughts on the fusion of magic and mentalism was, is, and always will be: Do what works for YOU.

For me and the venues I work, blending magic and mentalism does not do either magic or mentalism a disservice. I am a magician, mentalist, and hypnotist. I MUST mix magic and mentalism at some of my venues because of perceived notation of "mind-reading" and "hypnotism."

There are factors that I'm sure many don't understand because they don't have to leap over these boundaries on a day to day basis, however because of my location, I have found what works for me. I'm not trying to tell everyone to incorporate card magic into their mentalism (and not just because I'm sure some people's card sleights are less than impressive.) I will also not change what works for me because it DOESN'T work for someone else. There are various environmental factors that will change what we as humans feel comfortable with. To each his own. There isn't a "right" or a "wrong." Just a "good" and a "bad."

How do I know it works for me? Easy. I keep getting re-booked. Often times, I am told later that I was the hit of the event, and people were asking how soon I would be back. I'm not saying this to brag; I know these are common responses that I'm sure many of you get. I say this to prove my point: It works for me. If my customers are happy and their customers are happy, I'm happy and see no need to change.

Now, let us PLEASE get this train back on its tracks (slight pun intended.)
So, to get back on track... Can someone tell us more about the non-BA effects?

I'd like to get this lecture, but as a non-english performer, specific BAs wouldn't work for me (although, from what I've read, Atlas' theory on BAs is certainly worth studying).

Thank you!
[quote]On Apr 13, 2015, Patrick Redford wrote:
Ambitious card has been a staple of my mentalism act for years. Yes I'm serious and it comes across as a strong piece of mind control. [/quote]

I'm assuming this has its root in Glemme? If so, it is nothing but pure mentalism. Your work on this principle for the Penguin Lecture was also very strong. I suppose it truly does depend on how it is presented.

Now, if I could find a mentalist use for sponge balls...hmmm.... Which hand?

And just so I don't add to the derailing of this thread, I am eager to see what Mr. Brookings offers in his lecture as it looks promising.
Back to our original broadcast...This was a fantastic lecture !!

I've used Doug Dyments Sign Language for years and I'm more than comfortable with the method Atlas uses. The highlight of this lecture for me was the 'process' from which he uses for getting to the thought of words from the spectators point of view. I thought this alone was worth the investment. He also shows you the right way and wrong way to handle misses or a complete fail, which is intrinsic to this type of work. Atlas is very passionate about this type of mentalism, which is necessary to perform it well. You have to be intimate with your BA's of choice if you want them to look real.

As far as the routines go, here is my review;

CoudNine - Strong routine but not for me. The method uses some math and memory technique. That being said, it has a great presentational hook and I may revisit it. This is non-BA routine.

Comicle This is my favorite. It's not that complex and will be the first one I test run.

Disney Dynamite A very complex BA from my standpoint. This one is will take some time and balls.

Forward Thinking This is my second favorite. I love the presentational hook and it's within my grasp.

Imbalanced A lie detector routine using four people. This seems to be everyone's fav. I really like it, great presentational hook. I still need to wrap my head around how it works, lol,but don't let that scare you because I'm not that bright. This is also a non-BA routine.

After seeing his work, I sincerely regret not getting 'Train Tracking' but feel the routines given here are a very nice constellation prize :)

Highly Recommended.
Sorry Patrick forgot about your presentation of ambitious card. However, my point was not about the actual effect. More, how one presents it. Going from a magic trick to mentalism cannot ever work. If you are going to do a magic trick, it needs to be carefully presented as real.

If you work as a magician, memtalist and hypnotist - I'm sure the material goes down great, but everything you do will be thought of as clever magic tricks. You can never have the same affect on people as someone who keeps it pure. In fact, you are actually hurting mentalism as a whole. But hey, that's the world today - do whatever you can for yourself and forget about anyone else!
I attended Looch's great second lecture in Columbus on Sunday. I arrived early and was pleasantly surprised to see Atlas Brookings was also there as he and Looch were filming other things for Penguin all week. We got to talking (he is very friendly and approachable). I of course asked to be Train Tracked. I thought of "football" and over the course of a very natural conversation he revealed not only the word, but everything else I was asked to think about in order for him to "understand the way I think". I also had the opportunity to watch him do it to someone else with the same amazing results.

I don't own Train Tracking but I have studied his other work so I understand at some level what is going on. He made the same point to Dan in his lecture, that this is the natural evolution of his work. That being said it was stunning to have it done to me. After all - I had a free choice of any word!
[quote]On Apr 13, 2015, j100taylor wrote:
I thought of [b]"football"[/b] and over the course of a very natural conversation he revealed not only the word, but everything else I was asked to think about in order for him to "understand the way I think".[/quote]

[quote]On Jul 8, 2014, jbadman wrote:
I'll be as vague as everyone else, out of respect for his method and concept but suffice to say I thought of a word [b]('Football')[/b] and he nailed it as well as several others.[/quote]

[quote]On Mar 12, 2015, MagicAtlas wrote:
I asked them to then imagine spinning the dice in their mind and seeing it turn into a [b]football[/b].[/quote]

Hmm...
Yep. That's the method. They have to think of the word "football".
Rofl...dang...the gig is up. We're going to have to change it to soccer now if we want the train to keep going.
Ii haven't watched the lecture but I will... Atlas is making a name for himself in our little world so I must check him out. Even though I never use you know what, it will be interesting to me to see someone perform them well. I'm still waiting to see what TT is all about but I think I'm going to be waiting a long time on that one! I also think it's important that we all support what Penguin is doing especially when they bring mentalists in.
Atlas shared some of the content with me prior to the lecture and it confirmed what I already know which is that he is a strange kind of genius. I'm looking forward to seeing the actual lecture.

Phill
This is, as expected and advertised, an amazing lecture. Really great to see the master actually doing this stuff in person. Really fun to watch. Plus, Brookings just seems like such a down to Earth guy. Great stuff.

P.S. My only question has to do with Brookings's interesting spoken accent. I have no ear for these, but he almost seems to have a British accent to me. Notwithstanding his current residence, he's from the U.S., right?

P.P.S. A ten-minute memorized deck??? I thought that six-hour deck was supposed to be pushing the limits. I was all set to invest the work in Joyal -- literally just picked it up this past week -- and now this happens.

P.P.P.S. Remarkable childbirth anecdote as a closer!
Message: Posted by: Investigative Mentalist (Apr 14, 2015 09:50AM)
[quote]On Apr 14, 2015, CThomas wrote:

P.S. My only question has to do with Brookings's interesting spoken accent. I have no ear for these, but he almost seems to have a British accent to me. Notwithstanding his current residence, he's from the U.S., right?
[/quote]

Ah Ha!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed that.

A couple months ago, I told Atlas that he had picked up a little British accent after living in the UK for 1.5 years but he laughed me off.

You see Atlas, they're getting to you! :)

Atlas is originally from right here in Seattle.
I'm back home in the UK and now that I am in front of a computer, it is much simpler to type, so I thought I'd take a moment to thank all those who have taken the time to tune in to this lecture and address some of the things that have been said in this thread.

First of all - no, I don't sound like I have an accent. To quote Luke in 'Empire', "That's not true... That's IMPOSSIBLE!!"

Honestly though, I'm very pleased to see all the feedback here. I must admit though that I was surprised that BA's were the big methodology taken away from this lecture. I incorporated math-based methods, BA's, Free Associations, Logic puzzles, and Though Channels - but BA's appear to be what people have focused on. I think that might because they look so very much like real mind reading.

When I wrote 'The Prodigal' several years ago, I was advocating for the use of BA's and it seems like after seeing them done in this lecture, a lot of people are now considering using them. I think that is pretty cool. I wanted to take a moment and promise that there is nothing special about me, they really are just that easy to use - and you have them with you everywhere you go.

To the gentleman who was unhappy that Train Tracking wasn't addressed in the lecture: You have my apologies. I'm not sure why you thought it would be included, but I'm sorry to have disappointed in that respect. To be fair, I didn't list it in the lecture description, and I've elsewhere stated that I wouldn't perform it in any way that I didn't have complete control of its broadcast rights. But, as others can attest, if we ever get the chance to shake hands, I'd be happy to perform it for you.

Thanks again to everyone who tuned in.

Best,

Atlas
Having now watched the entire lecture, I'll say one thing.

I wouldn't like to play Hangman with Atlas.
I really liked Atlas, but BA's are not for me. I played the comic routine (performance segment only) for my wife... She *immediately* figured out the method and this is with someone who has mastered the method. FYI, I *never* use BA's so she had no familiarity with the method.

If I'm being honest, I can't convince myself that BA's would work for anyone with slightly above average intelligence. Such methods always feel like word (or math) puzzles to me, no matter how well disguised they are. Also, as Atlas himself said, they sort of lock you into performing in a certain mode so as to be consistent in presentation and I don't like that either.

I respect the work that Atlas has done on these methods and I am sure he gets good results with them in his performances but they don't click with me. Never have and pretty sure they never will. And, as Atlas said, you have to believe in a method and it has to feel natural to you for it to work. I do some forces on stage that I'm certain would never work for other performers but feel perfectly natural to me.

The stuff Atlas said while talking with Dan was great. I agree with him wholeheartedly about the thoughts on performing.

So, great lecture in general, but no method/presentations I could use. Obviously lots of other people feel differently which is great.
I for one really enjoyed this lecture. I especially liked the murder game as I have the perfect place for it in my set. As for the BA's that others are focusing on, although guessing comic book characters or disney movies doesn't suit my style, it has inspired me to work with the method and to explore the method further. Overall, I thought the lecture was excellent and I would reccommend it to anyone who is interested in learning convincing propless mentalism.
Seems as thought this is The Beatles performing the Rubber Soul album on tour the day after they released Sgt. Pepper's. Isn't there a big elephant in that room with the words TRAIN TRACKING printed on it?
This is mostly The Prodigal on video.
Hey, Atlas. Is the new memorized deck still in the cards (pun intended) for the near future? Man, I want that!

CT
Loved this lecture and I ended up picking up all 3 of his books because of It. I really enjoy his style and structure.

Basically same price from penguin but I enjoy actually have a physical copy already put together.

Pick up his work here. http://www.atlasmentalism.com/secrets.html
Hello everyone, as a thanks for all the support and kindness directed toward my Penguin Live lecture (and as a way to demonstrate for free the type of material you'll find there) I've decided to share my approach to Rock, Paper, Scissors.

While I'm bizarrely known for being able to handle complex and intricate mental feats, let me assure you that this is laughably, ridiculously simple. The routine is entertaining, and the workings are completely invisible.

I feel like this is a method without compromise.

And it is free. I'm giving it away.

No catch.

Just a way to say thanks for everything.

The link is held in Inner Thoughts here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=590094&forum=82

If you don't like it, it didn't cost you anything. But I think you will.

I'll leave it on here for a week or two and then pull the link.

Best,

Atlas
This piece is brilliant, well worth checking out. Thanks Atlas!!

Phill
Thanks Phill, pleased you liked it.

Best,

Atlas
TBH it feels like a legit hustle, it's brilliant. You are kind of self-effacing about being able to manage huge amounts of complex stuff, but your stuff shines because you think about it for longer than most people would. Lots of long baths?

Phill
Lol. I'm in one now!

I don't know that I think about it longer, but I always try to approach things and look at problems from lots of different angles, and I've found that when I do that, there's usually a route toward what I want to achieve.

Looking forward to your Penguin lecture, by the way!

Best,

Atlas
[quote]On Apr 13, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:

Regards,

Bob [/quote]

Bob...thank you, and amen :)
[quote]On Apr 9, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
Seems like Atlas is more along the lines of UK and English performers with the whole "propless" approach and all. I though he was from the states but seems heavily influenced by many of Europe's mentalists of today. [/quote]

As this thread was just resurrected, I was having a look over it again and don't recall reading this the first time through. This guess at my influences is wholly inaccurate.

My primary influences have been Larry Becker and Lee Earle - whose emphasis on creating an ENTERTAINING experience struck me early on - and Max Maven and Leo Boudreau, who impressed me with methods that were functionally invisible and whose operation often relied on a program being run in the mind of the performer and which was, as a result, inaccessible to an observer.

Maven's "Seak" or Boudreau's "Eight Dollar Mystery" are excellent examples of this type of effect. Maven's "Color" series is well known, but I always rated the "Lisp" series more highly as I preferred the methodologies he explored within. These types of methods were also, very frequently, direct and simple once understood. This meant that I could focus all my energy on making the routine entertaining and that further enhanced their appeal to me.

I am friendly with many European mentalists, but I only moved to the UK a few years ago. My roots are American and my development anchored in the States from about fifteen years ago.

I do think that when people first come to mentalism, it is important to study the field as broadly as possible as a wider sampling of material helps you to identify an approach that suits how you think and prefer to operate. From there, I think it is important to master the tools that seem to fit you best, identify their place within your character, and then create and innovate with them repeatedly until your style is definably unique and stands apart.

The above formula is one of the reasons that mentalism offers a richer experience than magic.

I cannot count how many times I have seen magicians, word for word, perform the same tricks. The same jokes, the same presentation, the same effect. They know that technical proficiency gets the job done and there is no need for them to inject anything of themselves into the show. In fact, it is often risky for them to do so. The way they express their character is not via their presentation, but through what turnkey effects they choose to perform. Consider the Bandana effect. A magician who performs it takes no risk. It is a crowd pleaser. But there is also no growth or innovation or depth to their performance.

Mentalism offers more.

And the tree of mentalism offers many different branches from which fruit can be plucked.

As far as this whole US v. UK mentalism debate that has popped up from time to time here: it is largely nonsense. I have operated and performed in both markets. My sense of humor has pleased both sets of audiences. People aren't that different. If they like YOU, then you'll do fine. The reason Derren did not conquer the US market had more to do with the fact that he was on cable channels than anything else. And while you look at and point to performers from decades past who did well in the States - let me point out that there was vastly less choice back then. There are more cable channels now than ever before. There are streaming, independent television options, there are more podcasts and radio shows than ever before. I believe that if Dunninger operated today, he'd have been no more than a footnote, so vast is the realm of broadcasting options now available. Derren's success in the UK was helped along tremendously by the fact that he was on mainstream channels. And as far as performers, UK performers are very similar to those in the US. I've seen them repeatedly. They use props on stage the same as we do in the US.

I do recognize that a number of people are passing off garbage unreliable and unworkable 'psychological' methods that are, unfortunately, being pitched as propless effects. But none of these offenders perform or have actually tested this material, and can't be said to be representative of UK performers as a whole. They are, by and large, taking advantage of those here who have more enthusiasm and trust than sense and are given magic beans in return. Each does his best to build his reputation and little pockets of friendship spring up amongst those with similar aims. Every few months, these wellsprings of 'creativity' offer a new and exciting product to the community that is endorsed by their little group of friends, who mercilessly bump the other's threads in a painfully obvious tit for tat exchange.

And so I sympathise with Mindpro's perspective - I just draw a line between the performers in the UK, and those here who have perpetuated this trend of offering nothing for something.

But we have similar offenders in the States.

Best,

Atlas
I've performed his superhero routine at least once every day (no exaggerating...literally every day) for someone since I watched the lecture. People freak out.
What type of performances would these be?
[quote]On Dec 2, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
What type of performances would these be? [/quote]

Awesome ones by the sound of it ;)

Sorry, couldn't resist making that joke.

Best,

Atlas
[quote]On Dec 3, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
What type of performances would these be? [/quote]
Yeah, these sound like some flouncy commie Yerp-ean type performances. Not respectable gun-totin' red-meat eatin' in-god-we-trust Murican performances, with all the scripts stolen from Bob Cassidy and the routines stolen from Bob Cassidy and the jokes stolen from Bob Cassidy. :lol:
For anyone interested, the story at the end of the lecture happened ten years ago today! Time really flies!

Best,

Atlas
"I cannot count how many times I have seen magicians, word for word, perform the same tricks. The same jokes, the same presentation, the same effect. They know that technical proficiency gets the job done and there is no need for them to inject anything of themselves into the show. In fact, it is often risky for them to do so. The way they express their character is not via their presentation, but through what turnkey effects they choose to perform. Consider the Bandana effect. A magician who performs it takes no risk. It is a crowd pleaser. But there is also no growth or innovation or depth to their performance."

The same can be said about the majority of Mentalist though
If you're talking about people who are actually experienced performing mentalists, I disagree.

If, on the other hand, you're referring to all of the magicians who [i]claim[/i] to be mentalists these days, you're right.
Does the lecture come with a PDF?
[quote]On Jun 12, 2016, mastermindreader wrote:
If you're talking about people who are actually experienced performing mentalists, I disagree.

If, on the other hand, you're referring to all of the magicians who [i]claim[/i] to be mentalists these days, you're right. [/quote]

With all due respect Bob, I'm not. I've in the last couple of years been to 3 big name mentalist, not mental magic, mentalist, shows. They are often spoken about here in the Penny forum. What did they perform, commercially available products. Bare in mind I said, the majority, not all. Their showmanship was excellent but their routines were available, safe to perform, turnkey effects they choose to perform.
Now there is a level above the majority, but I was just responding to the very broad claim made above by Atlas, and of coarse it is just my opinion.
[quote]On Jun 12, 2016, takeachance wrote:
[quote]On Jun 12, 2016, mastermindreader wrote:

If, on the other hand, you're referring to all of the magicians who [i]claim[/i] to be mentalists these days, you're right. [/quote]

With all due respect Bob, I'm not. I've in the last couple of years been to 3 big name mentalist, not mental magic, mentalist, shows. They are often spoken about here in the Penny forum. What did they perform, commercially available products. Bare in mind I said, the majority, not all. Their showmanship was excellent but their routines were available, safe to perform, turnkey effects they choose to perform.
Now there is a level above the majority, but I was just responding to the very broad claim made above by Atlas, and of coarse it is just my opinion. [/quote]

I know of one of yours (I saw) I am sure that was using commercial products also.
:baby:
Wow, this thread gets resurrected to share something interesting and in less than 24 hours we're back to arguing.

Hope your son had a fantastic birthday Atlas, and his 'Origin Story' will always be entertaining to hear.
[quote]On Jun 13, 2016, Nerdy Wizard wrote:
Wow, this thread gets resurrected to share something interesting and in less than 24 hours we're back to arguing.

Hope your son had a fantastic birthday Atlas, and his 'Origin Story' will always be entertaining to hear. [/quote]

LOL, really. I only wanted to know on Penguin if the PDF came with the lecture. Asking Penguin a question, you wait about a month or two for a reply.
:bawl:
[quote]On Jun 13, 2016, Decomposed wrote:

Hope your son had a fantastic birthday Atlas, and his 'Origin Story' will always be entertaining to hear. [/quote]

LOL, really. I only wanted to know on Penguin if the PDF came with the lecture. Asking Penguin a question, you wait about a month or two for a reply.
:bawl: [/quote]

Well YOU'RE not arguging! =P My comments weren't aimed at you. Regarding the PDF, Penguin provides one that has MOST of what you need on there. There's an effect using vehicle brands which isn't included on the PDF.
Takeachance, thanks for sharing your thoughts - I respect your perspective.

Hi Giani, yes it does come with the PDF. If there were ever anything you needed, let me know and I'd get it to you.

And thanks Andy, it is a pretty cool origin story :)

As far as the lecture itself is concerned, I'm pleased it went over well and to have had so many positive reviews. I was surprised when a friend pointed out that it was the best reviewed lecture of the last year on Penguin, so thanks - I feel very humbled by that.

Best,

Atlas
[quote]On Jun 13, 2016, Decomposed wrote:

:bawl: [/quote]

Well YOU'RE not arguging! =P My comments weren't aimed at you. [/quote]

Interesting, then who were you addressing Nerdy because I see no argument, just a different opinion being discussed civilly, politely; courteously, which I thought was the objective of forums.
I'm not going to dive deep into this further.

Mostly because you're right, and I was exceptionally crabby this morning and spoke rashly and unthinkingly. So that fault is on me.
Thanks Atlas. One final I think question. Sent you a PM.

C
For anyone who is interested, DVD copies of this lecture are now available through my website link below - at a great price and with FREE shipping.

Best,

Atlas