(Close Window)
Topic: Looking for a literary agent
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Apr 23, 2015 12:25PM)
I am looking to put out a book on humor not related to magic. If there are any literary agents out there who could lend a hand, let me know!
I'm not a literary agent, but this is a good resource. Probably at your local library if you don't want to buy a copy.

http://www.amazon.com/2015-Guide-Literary-Agents-Published/dp/1599638436/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8
Publishers will rarely look at a book that does not come through an agent. The agents are a sort of weeding out process.

You need to do a good solid proposal and write a substantial amount of the book. Make sure it is edited, and completely error free (grammar, spelling, syntax, the whole works). Then get a guide to literary agents (Writers' and Artists' Yearbook in the UK, the equivalent in the USA). Pick out all the agents that handle humour, and sent it to thirty or forty of them.

Some with reply, but give them six to eight weeks. Most won't. That is why you send it out to so many.

Best of luck with it.
Message: Posted by: Michael Rubinstein (Apr 23, 2015 06:53PM)
Thanks, good advice!
Http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/how-i-landed-a-literary-agent-what-you-can-learn-from-it-anne-a-wilson
It is not the same thing but my nephew works for news agency and itís amazing how much they will pay for a funny story. They more or less buy and resell them to national newspapers.