(Close Window)
Topic: Do you all take good notes
Message: Posted by: The Great Zucchini (May 2, 2015 06:12PM)
Hey my friends, just wanted to let you know the importance of taking good notes, if you're not already doing so. For instance, we all put in our schedule, all the information for the bday party. Address, names, etc. I'd like to share something that I do, and it's very important, I believe, in standing out, in the parents eyes.

Parents sometimes, comment on my memory, and my recollection of parties, and events, etc.. I do remember some names from public shows, since lots of kids are regulars, etc. However, I take good notes, too. I was doing a show this afternoon, and when I was done, I go outside, and mingle, etc. One of the parents wanted to book for a show in November. We had a fun talk about the Pacquio-Mayweather fight coming on later tonight, on Pay per view.
After the booking, I put in my calendar, what we talked about, etc. When I go into their home, in November, I will tell, them, 'see, my prediction was right on that fight, etc). I also put in there, that the party mom today, where I met this family will also be there, and what she looks like. When I walk in, I will say, 'Hey Ann, haven't seen you in a while, how are you'?
Just part of separating yourself, and it only takes a second to take a good note, like maybe the dog's name, etc.
Continue to enjoy your weekend. Your friend, Gz
Eric, I have little business sense. That sounds like hard work! I admire people who can be this organised, but I am afraid I am not one.

However, if we meet in a few months time (you never know - stranger things have happened) I will remind you that I predicted a Pacquiao win.
Message: Posted by: The Great Zucchini (May 2, 2015 06:43PM)
Yea, Tony, I can't say I don't get lazy about it, myself, and don't do it every time. However, if I have a real interesting conversation with someone, I like to let them know I remember talking with them, and I will do it. Tony, I'm cheering for Pacquaio, and in fact my magic words today, at my last show was "Manny Paquio' because lots of people there were from the Phillipines, and they were so excited about tonight's fight. I think Floyd will win, though. Are you going to watch?
I believe 100% that what you do before and after your show is very important if not more important then the show itself. I am right there with you Eric. I just got back from a community festival and tried to talk to everyone. Very important if you want to get your name and rise to the status of Zucchini and others. It's not for everyone but if you can make it happen you are one step above the rest.
Yes, Eric. I am going to be up until 6am (our time) to catch it. It should be a great night. My head tells me that Mayweather may have an edge, but this is boxing and heart comes in. And no one has more hearty than Manny.
I take some notes and it is surprising how much reading the few notes I do take can bring back to me later. It is odd because without any written anchor to the show, my memory is very poor.

Still, I don't put my notes to much use other than referring to specifics in my thank you notes but then I can still remember the show clearly anyway.

So not the business woman.

-Mary Mowder
Years back I used to talk with the birthday party Moms and have them provide me with all this information about the birthday child prior to the party.

As an example, what's their favorite movie, color, their best friend's name, their pet's name, etc.

That way, when I walked into a birthday party, I could sprinkle these little references throughout the show.

Oftentimes the birthday child would look at his or her Mother and say, "How did he know that?"

I used this bit in my show for well over a decade.

I can't really say why I dropped it.

Gerry
Great idea Eric. My notes are usually contained to what routines I did, that way I can make the show as different as possible the next year. Knowing siblings names are important too. Sometimes my notes take on a little frustration like, "Johny was a first class brat!" or "Adults wouldn't shut up!" Please note, these comments are not included in the thank you notes! :)
Great tips Zucchini. I have found the more personal the relationship is with the client, the better off we are. Taking these type of notes is a great reminder!
Martin Nash (top card man) would ask for business cards when he met someone and after he quizzed them he would write everything on the back in shorthand.

The next time he worked for that group, he would study the cards and photos on them so he could ask "so, did billy win the contest?"

He said (even though he was master entertainer) that being personable got him more shows then anything.

Me.... I call all the kids Melvin and that's so when I run into them 10 years later I "remembered" them.