(Close Window)
Topic: May 4th 1970
Tin soldiers and Nixon coming
We're finally on our own
This summer I hear the drumming
Four dead in Ohio

I just figured that I'd beat Landmark in commemorating the day.
May the Fourth be with you...
I know that today is Star Wars day, but that has nothing to do with my post.

I didn't want to make it easy for anyone here that doesn't know the significance of that date since a quick google of May 4th 1970 will tell you all you need to know, but here it is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings
I knew exactly what you were referring to. A friend of ours had a child (a non-protestor) who was hit, but not killed that day. Many people called this a "peaceful" protest but, according to the friends' daughter, it was not peaceful, and she feared for her safety before the situation escalated. Of course, there was plenty of blame to go around, but it shouldn't have ended like it did.
Many people rightly called it murder.
Many people rightly called it murder.

Twice.
A good watch and listen for today from Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCS-g3HwXdc
It was a sad day in America. But, fortunately, it marked the beginning of the end of the public's tolerance for the war in Vietnam.
Just a question to try and get this thread deleted ;) - do you think that, had we sent sufficient military personnel to actually WIN the war, the protests would have been as widespread? In other words, was it the war, or the fact that we never would completely commit to winning it?
Well murdering far more civilians like in the Vietnamese villages of the My Lai Massacre and the Kent State Massacre might have helped suppress the uprisings and got a bit more peace and quiet I guess.
On May 4, 1970, I was only 11 years old, so I didn't appreciate at the time how important the Kent State shootings (Kent State Massacre) was.

I do now.

Thanks for reminding us of the anniversary.

May the souls of those slain rest in peace.