(Close Window)
Topic: The Onion strikes again.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Jun 1, 2015 09:50AM)
Http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/06/01/indicted-ex-fifa-executive-cites-onion-article-in-rant-slamming-us/
Message: Posted by: tommy (Jun 1, 2015 09:58AM)
:)
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jun 1, 2015 10:27AM)
That's pretty funny. The irony, though, is that it appears on the Fox site, given that Fox has cited the Onion itself in the past , unaware of the parody. (Many others have mistaken their articles as real also.)

http://www.businessinsider.com/apparently-fox-nation-doesnt-know-the-onion-is-fake-news-2010-11

[quote]Count Fox News’s opinion website, Fox Nation, and its readers among those not familiar with the Peabody Award-winning spoof journalism being done by The Onion. In 2010, Fox Nation excerpted several paragraphs from The Onion’s satirical piece, “Frustrated Obama Sends Nation Rambling 75,000-Word Email,” eliciting a flurry of flabbergasted and derisive comments from the site’s readers. Perhaps shamed by the ensuing reports mocking Fox Nation for taking The Onion’s piece post seriously, the site quickly took the article and its comment thread down.[/quote]

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/09/29/fooled-by-the-onion-8-most-embarrassing-fails.html
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jun 1, 2015 12:27PM)
I prefer the made up news to the real thing.

I readily admit it is tough to tell the difference at times LOL!

News has become what people "want" to believe any more.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Jun 1, 2015 01:30PM)
[quote]On Jun 1, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
That's pretty funny. The irony, though, is that it appears on the Fox site, given that Fox has cited the Onion itself in the past , unaware of the parody. (Many others have mistaken their articles as real also.)

http://www.businessinsider.com/apparently-fox-nation-doesnt-know-the-onion-is-fake-news-2010-11

[quote]Count Fox News’s opinion website, Fox Nation, and its readers among those not familiar with the Peabody Award-winning spoof journalism being done by The Onion. In 2010, Fox Nation excerpted several paragraphs from The Onion’s satirical piece, “Frustrated Obama Sends Nation Rambling 75,000-Word Email,” eliciting a flurry of flabbergasted and derisive comments from the site’s readers. Perhaps shamed by the ensuing reports mocking Fox Nation for taking The Onion’s piece post seriously, the site quickly took the article and its comment thread down.[/quote]

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/09/29/fooled-by-the-onion-8-most-embarrassing-fails.html [/quote]


Shows what a lousy mentalist I am...I thought Balducci would be first to jump on that one. I almost pasted the link to the NYT article on it instead, but I wanted to see how the thread played out
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jun 1, 2015 01:37PM)
I believe I noted that other news outlets have also mistaken Onion articles for the real thing. ( The second link I posted also refers to the NYT article.

The irony here is simply that Fox is now mocking someone else for making the same mistake they did. (Without mentioning their own, of course.)
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Jun 1, 2015 02:13PM)
Well, they ran an A.P. story that numerous other news outlets ran, if that constitutes mocking him.
Message: Posted by: mastermindreader (Jun 3, 2015 11:17AM)
The irony remains.
Message: Posted by: LobowolfXXX (Jun 3, 2015 12:30PM)
Well, I suppose if the choice is between ignoring an A.P. Story that other major media outlets are running or creating a sense of irony in some people, you've got to go with the irony. Especially since many of those other outlets have been fooled by The Onion, too.
Message: Posted by: Intrepid (Jun 3, 2015 04:07PM)
[quote]On Jun 1, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
News has become what people "want" to believe any more. [/quote]
Well you sure don't sell newspapers by telling people what they don't want to hear.
Message: Posted by: rockwall (Jun 3, 2015 05:23PM)
[quote]On Jun 3, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Well, I suppose if the choice is between ignoring an A.P. Story that other major media outlets are running or creating a sense of irony in some people, you've got to go with the irony. Especially since many of those other outlets have been fooled by The Onion, too. [/quote]

LOL. I know there's some irony that someone's probably missing here.